Why Do You Hate Mekhi Becton?

Why Do you Hate Mekhi Becton?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most closely matches your view of Louisville OT Mekhi Becton:

• I don't hate him, in fact, I think he's AWESOME. He my #1 Offensive Tackle
    • I think he will be a good NFL player and I would be happy if we took him at #11
    • He's okay and an acceptable pick at #11
    • I hope we don't take him, I would rather have any other OT or a WR instead of him
    • I HATE him as a prospect, hope we don't draft him, he's got "BUST" written all over him

On 4/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, RobR said:

Fair enough. I think his potential is through the roof.

I agree... I'm referring to a plug & play starter from day 1... I prefer the other 3... "potential" scares me... it's so many times not lived up to.

OT is the hardest position for me to critique... I'm not well educated in their footwork, weight transfer, bend/dip, movement, hands etc etc.. i get the concepts but don't know what i'm watching... 

So, I lean on others -- and there appears to be an overwhelming amount of excitement about his potential and promise... RobR included...

Becton fits the profile of high risk high reward, but sounds like confidence is high - so I'm in.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Wow. That's a pretty scathing review of a guy that's never played a down in the NFL. SHAME ON YOU! It's actually hard to be as BAD as Ducasse was. Whenever that lunkhead was inserted into the lineup disaster followed the Jets. I'm serious most of the time it ended with Ducasse accumulating so many penalties that it would end offensive drives, while others had long lasting adverse effects on the offense as a whole.

Slow down, take it easy.  I was just having fun, nothing serious. 

I don’t hate him. Dislike him as a prospect though.

When I watch someone like Wills he looks smooth, crisp at tackle. Looks like he has the finer details of the position down. Becton looks like a guy that gets away with poor skill by being stronger than players at the college level. Is that going to work at the nfl level? I don’t think know but doubt it. He didn’t just start playing football.

And he goes to a big time school. It’s not like they have random guys coaching. His current coaching staff has solid experience and before this year Petrino was their HC (I’ll assume he had a good OL coach under him). Becton’s current OL coach is a former NFL OL player who has been coaching for some time. So he’s had good coaching and time to develop. Who knows? I just don’t trust him as a prospect.

• Upvote 4

Great insight from Lance Zierlein on Becton vs. Wills and Wirfs.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2293653/nfl-draft-scouting-profile-lance-zierlein-on-alabama-ot-jedrick-wills/

Zierlein thinks Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills is the best bet when compared to other projected first-round projected tackles like Louisiville’s Mekhi Becton or Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs.

“He’s just better than most,” Zierlein told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Monday. “Becton is bigger, but Becton doesn’t play with the same level of body control. Becton doesn’t play with the same consistency of hands. Becton is an outstanding athlete, but I think there’s some questions about how he’s going to handle some of his pass sets when he’s got to get into full-on, NFL style pass sets.

“Right now, he is a big, athletic, powerful guy. But he doesn’t sustain his blocks. He looks to just bludgeon people and throw them to the ground, but in the NFL, he’s got to learn to play with better discipline, he’s got to learn to play with better patience and he’s got to learn to sustain blocks rather than just maul people.”

“Jedrick Wills fires from his hips, he unlocks into his drive-blocking. He’s a physical, aggressive drive blocker, he’s got a nasty streak. He’s got really nice feet to set out wide to catch speed rushers, and he’s got the ability to slide back inside against counters, and that’s a major problem right now for Wirfs. I don’t really think it’s that close between Wirfs and Wills, to be honest with you.”

For what it’s worth, the aforementioned mock draft from Zierlein had Wills going No. 7 to Carolina, meaning he’s not even an option for Arizona at eight. But the sequence of Wills and Simmons seventh and eighth could just as easily be reversed. Becton went fourth to the Giants and Wirfs went 10th to Cleveland.

“Wirfs is a great workout guy, and he looks great on the hook, but Wills is just better in pass protection and Wills is better as a run blocker,” Zierlein said. “I don’t think it’s close between those two guys right now.”

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm glad you've finally seen the light. ?

I make alot of statements willing/hoping to be wrong. In this case either Becton was either a once in a decade athlete or overrated. Turns out he's a gem.  

19 hours ago, varjet said:

His football tape is just meh though, right?  He could turn out great though, but did he dominate at Louisville? 

At 11 you like to take players who were great at football when they had the chance to play it. 

Its the Mike Mamula problem.

Becton's tape has inconsistencies but he also has plays where he's pushing the defender 10-15 yards down field out of the camera angle 

he friggin BURIES dudes 

he should be the first tackle drafted and the "debate" of the Jets getting him or Thomas seems like a luxury scenario.  

• Upvote 3

I think as many have said already. I don't hate him one bit. He's a very intriguing prospect. He's just really raw and projected to go really early. So I think a lot of Jet fans are worried. 

Another guy that scares me even more so is Chaisson. He's like Becton but tack on an injury history. 

You talk about Thomas and Becton they are like opposites. Unlike Becton, Thomas is a consistent LT starter coming from a top college with a pro system having played in big games who will immediately help you in the pass and run game.  

Just now, PepPep said:

I think as many have said already. I don't hate him one bit. He's a very intriguing prospect. He's just really raw and projected to go really early. So I think a lot of Jet fans are worried. 

Another guy that scares me even more so is Chaisson. He's like Becton but tack on an injury history. 

You talk about Thomas and Becton they are like opposites. Unlike Becton, Thomas is a consistent LT starter coming from a top college with a pro system having played in big games who will immediately help you in the pass and run game.  

Wirfs is the most raw of the top 4 OTs and has the highest bust factor

I think Wirfs will be a good pro but he may end up as a Right Tackle or Guard

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

I make alot of statements willing/hoping to be wrong. In this case either Becton was either a once in a decade athlete or overrated. Turns out he's a gem.  

Becton's tape has inconsistencies but he also has plays where he's pushing the defender 10-15 yards down field out of the camera angle 

he friggin BURIES dudes 

he should be the first tackle drafted and the "debate" of the Jets getting him or Thomas seems like a luxury scenario.  

I think Wirfs might end up being the OT who slides to us at 11.  If anyone is inconsistent in pass pro it’s him if we draft Wirfs we better sign Peters or Beachum too

23 hours ago, vtbx said:

Great insight from Lance Zierlein on Becton vs. Wills and Wirfs.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2293653/nfl-draft-scouting-profile-lance-zierlein-on-alabama-ot-jedrick-wills/

Zierlein thinks Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills is the best bet when compared to other projected first-round projected tackles like Louisiville’s Mekhi Becton or Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs.

“He’s just better than most,” Zierlein told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Monday. “Becton is bigger, but Becton doesn’t play with the same level of body control. Becton doesn’t play with the same consistency of hands. Becton is an outstanding athlete, but I think there’s some questions about how he’s going to handle some of his pass sets when he’s got to get into full-on, NFL style pass sets.

“Right now, he is a big, athletic, powerful guy. But he doesn’t sustain his blocks. He looks to just bludgeon people and throw them to the ground, but in the NFL, he’s got to learn to play with better discipline, he’s got to learn to play with better patience and he’s got to learn to sustain blocks rather than just maul people.”

“Jedrick Wills fires from his hips, he unlocks into his drive-blocking. He’s a physical, aggressive drive blocker, he’s got a nasty streak. He’s got really nice feet to set out wide to catch speed rushers, and he’s got the ability to slide back inside against counters, and that’s a major problem right now for Wirfs. I don’t really think it’s that close between Wirfs and Wills, to be honest with you.”

For what it’s worth, the aforementioned mock draft from Zierlein had Wills going No. 7 to Carolina, meaning he’s not even an option for Arizona at eight. But the sequence of Wills and Simmons seventh and eighth could just as easily be reversed. Becton went fourth to the Giants and Wirfs went 10th to Cleveland.

“Wirfs is a great workout guy, and he looks great on the hook, but Wills is just better in pass protection and Wills is better as a run blocker,” Zierlein said. “I don’t think it’s close between those two guys right now.”

I agree, Wills is #1 on my list, followed by Thomas, as 1b, those two are really close. Then Wirfs, then Becton. I really like Jones, I really like Tega-Wanogho out of the second tier OTs. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Being big and athletic helps but having consistent proper technique is far more important. 

We currently have the worst starting offensive tackles in the league. A legit veteran starter needs to be signed, regardless of who they draft.

• Upvote 2

Agreed 100% with all of this. I think Becton is in for a rude awakening at the next level. 

I can see him becoming frustrated when he can't just push guys around and Professional ERs abuse his poor technique, and he turns into a "lunger" who gets out of position and off balance.....also think his size makes him a candidate for frequent injury

I'd prefer Thomas, Wills, or even Cleveland over him I think. 

If the Jets weren't such trash at OL development for 10 years, I'd take him to develop as a dominant RT, but we don't have the luxury of that kind of pick. 

I have thrown thy gauntlet, @RobR. Have at me!

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree, Wills is #1 on my list, followed by Thomas, as 1b, those two are really close. Then Wirfs, then Becton. I really like Jones, I really like Tega-Wanogho out of the second tier OTs. 

If everyone wants to drone on about technique in this thread the pick is Wills

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think Wirfs might end up being the OT who slides to us at 11.  If anyone is inconsistent in pass pro it’s him if we draft Wirfs we better sign Peters or Beachum too

Wirfs could be a middle class man's Quentin Nelson,  imo. Move to OG and dominate for 10+ years. 

But we're fat at Guard right now, and need OT.

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wirfs could be a middle class man's Quentin Nelson,  imo. Move to OG and dominate for 10+ years. 

But we're fat at Guard right now, and need OT.

We desperately need LT.  Fant is not the answer 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wirfs is the most raw of the top 4 OTs and has the highest bust factor

I think Wirfs will be a good pro but he may end up as a Right Tackle or Guard

Wirfs is not as 'raw' as Becton. Becton has zero hand technique and his footwork needs a ton of work. Wirfs has some issues with hand technique but his footwork is impressive and he has knowledge of multiple positions. Wirfs may not be the most polished at the LT position but he is still way beyond where Becton is at this point in his development.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Wirfs is not as 'raw' as Becton. Becton has zero hand technique and his footwork needs a ton of work. Wirfs has some issues with hand technique but his footwork is impressive and he has knowledge of multiple positions. Wirfs may not be the most polished at the LT position but he is still way beyond where Becton is at this point in his development.  

They said the same stuff about Cam Robinson who also for whatever reason got the “too big, poor technique” label even though the tape didn’t show it

I don’t know why OT evaluations can be so way off sometimes. it’s easier to evaluate OTs than other positions like WR and QB.  I guess it’s groupthink

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/5/2020 at 12:18 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Agreed 100% with all of this. I think Becton is in for a rude awakening at the next level. 

I can see him becoming frustrated when he can't just push guys around and Professional ERs abuse his poor technique, and he turns into a "lunger" who gets out of position and off balance....(No, not a Lung-er like Doc Holliday).

I'd prefer Thomas, Wills, or even Cleveland over him I think. 

If the Jets weren't such trash at OL development for 10 years, I'd take him to develop as a dominant RT, but we don't have the luxury of that kind of pick. 

I have thrown thy gauntlet, @RobR. Have at me!

Hate being correct about big fella. 

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He was fine last year when he played. You're taking a victory lap because he's injured? Foh.

Serious question, no wrong answer since we obviously don’t know.

Do you think our CS’s have ever felt this guy has been in NFL game shape since we drafted him?

I don’t.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Serious question, no wrong answer since we obviously don’t know.

Do you think our CS’s have ever felt this guy has been in NFL game shape since we drafted him?

I don’t.

And...? C'mon. YOu're trying to validate your opinion with some made up bullsh!t about what you think the coaches thought. Coaches, I might add, who aren't here.

This has to be the most disingenuous nonsense about a player, who really doesn't deserve this level of hate.

You wonder why nobody REALLY wants to play here. 

Disgusting.

• Upvote 1