Interesting tidbit from McGovern conference call

22 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Apparently McGovern is doing a conference call right now.  Came across this quote from Twitter.  Very interesting to me that he says Center or Guard, likely meaning the Jets haven't told him he's cemented at Center yet.  I thought this may have been a possibility since he signed that wasn't talked about.  I think drafting a Center in Rd 2 or 3 might still be an option, with McGovern and Van Rotne at G.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it though 

I dont think anyone was signed with the idea that they are cemented as the starter.. Jets will draft BPA on offensive lineman so if they have a guy in round 2/3 that they like and he's a guard they wont shy away from taking him just because they signed two guards... they key is depth here so you get the best guys you feel fit the system, let them battle it out, best 5 play.  Lewis very well may be a backup, hell he started as one last year.   GVR has been a backup most of his career.  

Very possible you see an interior offensive line battle of Lewis, GVR, Mcgovern, Winters, and a Draft Pick for the 3 interior spots this year come camp time... If thats the case i am 100% all for it too. 

In the immortal words of Adrian Belew, talk talk, it's only talk

Anxious to see what he brings to the field. He actually started for another team, but can he step up to Pro Bowl level? 

He comes from an affluent family so maybe they can pitch in, buy a piece of the team and help poor Joe Douglas' cash restriction

12 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont think anyone was signed with the idea that they are cemented as the starter.. Jets will draft BPA on offensive lineman so if they have a guy in round 2/3 that they like and he's a guard they wont shy away from taking him just because they signed two guards... they key is depth here so you get the best guys you feel fit the system, let them battle it out, best 5 play.  Lewis very well may be a backup, hell he started as one last year.   GVR has been a backup most of his career.  

Very possible you see an interior offensive line battle of Lewis, GVR, Mcgovern, Winters, and a Draft Pick for the 3 interior spots this year come camp time... If thats the case i am 100% all for it too. 

I think McGovern was signed as a starter, just not sure if it will be at C or G.  He's the best lineman presently in the team.  He is starting somewhere.  But I do agree there will be competition everywhere else.  Which I'm all for.  Competition brings out the best in people.  I'm not counting on it, but a good push for someone like Winter's might be just what he needs(in addition to being healthy) to regain a competent level of play.

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's what I would hope every player would feel.  Play where you can help the team the most.  But I get that certain positions are more valuable in terms of future salary and that creates a potential conflict.  I think we're seeing that with Fant.  He seems determined to only play LT, which means if we feel we need to move him over to the right side, he may be unhappy.  

Bottom line, I'm hopeful that wherever McGovern plays, he proves to be a material upgrade over what we had there last year.  We just need one of our IOL to be a good Center.  

Good point on Fant.  He seems to want to start at LT.  More then likely because of the reason you said , more money.

Of the OL that Douglas has signed Fant seems to be Douglas' favorite.  Simply because of the fact that he was the first guy signed, and, at least on a yearly basis, he is getting  a fair amount of money.  The contract is structured that if there is problems the Jets can move away from him quickly.  If not they have a LT for 3 years at a good price

IMO Fant is going to be the opening day starter at LT, even if the Jets draft an OT at 11.  The rooke will compete with Edoga at RT, with an eye on LT down the road..  If the rookie plays very well, and  Fant can't hold  him  off the LT starting job, Fant will be moved to RT.

If he has a problem with it, Jets move on with little damage next season.

I like the plan

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

I have a friend who is a big broncos fan and pretty knowledgeable about football - I trust his opinion. When we signed McGovern I asked his opinion and what he told me was this. McGovern is a very good guard who was OK at center when he had to play there.

So based on that being legit - ideally we draft a starting caliber center and play McGovern at guard.

23 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Apparently McGovern is doing a conference call right now.  Came across this quote from Twitter.  Very interesting to me that he says Center or Guard, likely meaning the Jets haven't told him he's cemented at Center yet.  I thought this may have been a possibility since he signed that wasn't talked about.  I think drafting a Center in Rd 2 or 3 might still be an option, with McGovern and Van Rotne at G.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it though 

This may be good news. I follow a youtuber who's a Broncos fan and he basically said that if the Jets put McGovern at Center then it's clear that they have no idea what they're doing. 

Maybe I should go to a Broncos forum in spy mode and see what their feelings are on McGovern.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Oh forgot about Van Rotten. I think Winters is toast. But see Slats post above on this page and makes some bold predictions .He thinks Lewis starts, etc etc

I hope Winters is toast. He's worse than both GVR, and Lewis. Can't stay healthy either. 

• Upvote 1