Rex: Amari is a Turd

?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/rex-ryan-rips-amari-cooper-i-wouldnt-have-paid-this-turd/

Rex Ryan has no love for Amari Cooper.

The former Jets coach made a number of scathing comments on ESPN’s “Get Up” on Friday about the Cowboys’ decision to give Cooper a blockbuster five-year, $100 million contract extension earlier this offseason.

“I wouldn’t have paid this turd,” Ryan said of the 25-year-old receiver. “No way in hell would I have paid this guy.”

The Raiders’ 2015 first-rounder was traded to Dallas in the middle of the 2018 season for a 2019 first-round pick. He was set to hit free agency this March before the Cowboys signed him to a long-term deal on March 16.

Cooper finished the 2019 season with 79 receptions for a career-high 1,189 yards and eight touchdowns, but Ryan was still able to find fault in some of his situational statistics.

“This is the biggest disappearing act in the National Football League,” Ryan said. “He doesn’t show up on the road, he doesn’t show up against when the competition is good — when he’s up against the top corners, that guy disappears.

“To me, you pay Dak Prescott. Forget all those numbers. They’re No. 1 in the league because of Dak Prescott, not because of this guy. It’s a deep draft at receiver. They made a huge mistake right here.”

The Cowboys exercised the exclusive franchise tag on 26-year-old Prescott earlier this offseason and are in the midst of negotiating a longer-term contract. The two parties have until July 15 to agree on a deal.

The comments came as a shock to some in the NFL community with NFL Network’s Ian Rapaport calling for Ryan to apologize.

“What has Amari Cooper done to deserve this personal attack? He’s a hard worker, played through injuries, and is a good teammate. Rex Ryan should apologize,” Rapaport tweeted.

Hours later, Ryan issued an apology in response to the backlash.

“I can’t believe I said that, used that word,” he said on SportsCenter. “Obviously it was a poor choice by me to say what I said about Amari. Anybody who knows me — look, quite honestly, I think the world of every player and have a great deal of respect for every single player in the National Football League, including Amari Cooper.”

Ryan also defended his earlier assessment of what he feels to be the wideout’s shortcomings.

“With that being said, I think the Cowboys overspent for Amari Cooper,” Ryan continued. “The reason for it is, I don’t doubt that this is an elite player. He has those traits. But an elite player to me shows up on the road, he shows up against great corners, and he shows up in crunch time, and those are three things that Amari Cooper has not done so far in his career. In fact, I think he’s won one playoff game as a player. And all of those things are how I feel about this young man as a receiver.

“But what I added at the end of that, I want to apologize to Amari again and hope he accepts my apology.”

image.gif

• Upvote 1

rex being rex.  but the article also points to a reason to pick one of the top wr's if available with the 11 pick as opposed to oline.  there seem to be a ton of these wr's that have diva complexes and want huge contract when their rookie deals expire.  at least a team gets control over a player for 5 seasons if drafted in the first round.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Over the top to call out a player like that. 

He could have just said “that contract is a little rich. He seems to take some plays off from time to time,” and left it at that.

Attention whore.

Except that "that contract is a little rich" doesn't generate clicks, tweets, articles and threads like this one, which is exactly what he did. Like it or not, these guys are paid to bring in attention (see: Stephen A. Smith) and the "good ones" are able to toe the line right up against what is acceptable without having to issue too many "apologies" or getting canned. 

29 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I agree with most of what was said. Cap7ulp7p7

My post was cut off. I agree with most of what was said, however calling him a turd (whatever that means) was uncalled for. Also Rex already has a name for himself, no need to do extra. Paying Zak and not paying Cooper just takes the team back to 2018 again. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Rex is kind of a dirtbag. Amazing that he and his brother are such hair bags with a Dad that was an Infantry First Sergeant.  

Hey Rex, tell us about Derrick Mason, Plax, and Scotty McKnight, you fat redneck sh*tbird!

• Haha 1

Rex tries to be a showman and gets carried away with himself.  Maybe being cooped up due to the pandemic has made him even more of a loose cannon.  He should never of referred to Cooper like that and was right to apologize.  It's one thing to call a guy who has domestic abuse issues a turd, but Cooper is a solid citizen I believe.  Rex may get fired for this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Wow, he actually referred to him as a "turd?" Harsh. 

He must have some personal issue with him, because Rex is a players coach who tends to rave about players in public. 

Amari didn’t send a foot-pic for Mrs. Ryan. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Over the top to call out a player like that. 

He could have just said “that contract is a little rich. He seems to take some plays off from time to time,” and left it at that.

Attention whore.

A guy making probably more than 10 times the money doesn’t care what the other guy has to say.