Would you trade up- back into the late first?

Assume we take OT at 11.

Would you trade #48 and #79 (our 2nd and 3rd) keeping #68 (the Giants 3rd) to get back into late first round for a wideout. 

48+79 = 615 points

Which is equivalent to Green Bay’s late first rounder pick #30 = 620 points. Somewhere around here:

28 - Baltimore, 660 points

29 -Tennessee, 640

30 - Green Bay, 620

31 - SF, 600

32 - KC, 590
———————

It could look something like

Andrew Thomas at 11

At 30 possibly Mims, Higgins, Laviska

Plus still having the Giants high third rounder

———————

I’m pretty sure I’d do this if you can find a trade partner.  Secure the highly ranked wideout while also getting the 5th year option on them.  I’m nervous the second tier wideouts will be taken by the time 48 comes around and in a regular draft none of these wideouts would still be available in the late first.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Assume we take OT at 11.

Would you trade #48 and #79 (our 2nd and 3rd) keeping #68 (the Giants 3rd) to get back into late first round for a wideout. 

48+79 = 615 points

Which is equivalent to Green Bay’s late first rounder pick #30 = 620 points. Somewhere around here:

29 -Tennessee, 640

30 - Green Bay, 620

31 - SF, 600

32 - KC, 590
———————

Anthony Thomas at 11

———————

I’m pretty sure I’d do this if you can find a trade partner.  Secure the highly ranked wideout while also getting the 5th year option on them.  I’m nervous the second tier wideouts will be taken by the time 48 comes around and in a regular draft none of these wideouts would still be available in the late first.

I’d feel better trading back to land Mims. Then get an OT like Cleveland, Peart, or Jackson at 48. Lots of WR’s who can contribute right away in this class it seems. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Assume we take OT at 11.

48+79 = 615 points

29 -Tennessee, 640

30 - Green Bay, 620

31 - SF, 600

32 - KC, 590
———————

Andrew Thomas at 11

———————

I think it’d be a good move if they can guarantee one of these stud receivers. Would def do it 

I would do it for Mims or Higgins but I don't think either one will be there at the 30th pick. I'm not a big fan of Shenault. 

Could also work the other way around. Jets take Ruggs, Jeudy or Lamb at 11 and then trade up for an OT like Jones, Niang, Wanogho, or Jackson. 

It really just depends on what WRs and OTs JD has highest on his board and fitting Gases system as well. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, David Harris said:

Assume we take OT at 11.

48+79 = 615 points

29 -Tennessee, 640

30 - Green Bay, 620

31 - SF, 600

32 - KC, 590
———————

Andrew Thomas at 11

———————

It's impossible to answer this question until we see who is available. based on the premise alone I would be willing too move up. I'd also be willing to move up a couple of slots in the first if that tackle that we covet is available.

• Sympathy 1

On principle, trading up into the 1st is always something teams should look into doing where possible.  The 5th-year team option makes this a good idea. 

This is especially true for teams who need a QB but aren't sold on the early 1st round guys OR don't have a 1st rounder.  

Ideally, and I'm talking purely from a "maximizing your picks" standpoint, we trade back a few slots in the 1st, then trade back UP into the 1st, ending up with something like picks 15 and 30.  In that scenario you might still have a 2nd rounder depending on how things went with the original trade down from 11.

And wherever possible, we should look to use 2021 picks in any situation where we want to trade up, since we don't know how COVID-19 is going to impact the draft next year (there might not be college football this year).  I'm sure other GM's are thinking along those lines too, but its worth a shot.  

• Upvote 1