We haven't drafted a 1st Round WR since dating back to Keyshawn Johnson & Santana Moss of 1996 and 2001:

I've always talked plenty of Rex Ryan-Darrelle Revis/Gregg Williams-Jamal Adams Jets Defense to the point, where; I often miss out on opportunities of discussing the offensive side of the Jets ball (which defense has taught me a lot about over the years due looking at offenses from the outside looking in). 

• Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb are the guys for Sam Darnold/Le'Veon Bell along with our entire offense and for Gase as a play caller. 

With Sam Darnold already in place back in 2014, would any of you have then passed on both of Odell Beckham Jr. and Mike Evans on the outside?

I know I wouldn't have man and that's because I'm now 34 years of age and I've been frustrated (over the years) having to watch our offenses (alongside of my older brother struggle) - O-Line or not - while not having a Superstar Receiver that opposing NFL secondaries and defensive coordinators alike must account for; before each and every snap of the ball (Antonio Brown helped open up the field for Le'Veon Bell a lot). 

We haven't drafted any of our Quarterbacks a 1st round WR since dating back to the days of Keyshawn Johnson and Santana Moss. And Sam Darnold deserves better moving forward

Back in 1996 i was only an 11 year old kid just then begining to understand the game of football and @ an early age #19 turned a young kid with a big imagination into WR homer due to the ways that he utilized his taller big body frame and how played his position on the outside. Broke my heart to see Keyshawn a Buccaneers fan favorite down here in Tampa Bay. 

•  And I was just a high school kid @ 15-16 years old once we drafted Santana Moss, and immediately fell in love with electric WR's who may be smaller in stature but sideline Santana could do it all with quickness and speed, featured explosive athleticism with an ability to completely take the top off of a defense and could line up everywhere. Hated to see him leave for Washington and separated away from Coles. 

✓ This is one of the greatest WR draft classes of All-Time and both of Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb coming out of legendary programs Alabama and Oklahoma are the two headliners of this year's WR class, the best of the best - Nope - I'm not passing that up.

(I've been to Bama and Sooner forums in order to read about these two specifically and those people are nuts about them). 

•  People have often mentioned how Joe Douglas is a former offensive lineman within his own right as a way of praise.

So why is it that there is such a big deal around JetNation over landing a former offensive lineman himself in Joe Douglas to begin with if he must use our 1st round draft pick on an O-Lineman (instead of an elite WR for the first time since dating back to 19 years ago)? 

✓ Shouldn't he be able to scout awesome O-Lineman during the 2nd and 3rd rounds as a former O-Lineman himself with an eye for the position?

He could go O-Lineman back to back to back for all I care with his 2nd round draft pick and two high 3rd rounders and I couldn't care less while heading into the 4th round with a Jeudy/Lamb for Sam and 3 offensive lineman (all drafted early and often). 

Everyone attacked and mocked Maccagnan as not a good talent evaluator for all of Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold and Quinnen Williams simply "falling to him" - so why in the world must these 1st round O-Lineman fall into Joe's lap in order for him to re-vamp and rebuild our offensive line (5 positions) throughout both Free Agency and the draft? Head scratcher. 

People may have forgotten about Keyshawn and Moss over the years after they've left; however I haven't. 

Keyshawn Johnson:

Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Receptions: 814
Receiving yards: 10,571
Yards per reception: 13.0
Receiving touchdowns: 64

Santana Moss:

Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Receptions: 732
Receiving yards: 10,283
Receiving touchdowns: 66
Punt return yards: 1,398
Punt return touchdowns: 3

And to just imagine we could've had both on the outside for Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin... (Jeudy/Lamb are a must have). 

That is what we've been missing out on...

`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this is what Sam Darnold and our fan base could have moving forward...

You can always draft O-Lineman 1st round - but they say 2020's WR class is 2014ish (all over again) and one of the greatest WR draft classes of All-Time (could become a once in a lifetime opportunity for Sam Darnold and too good to pass up on). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The top tier OTs have a bigger gap than people are making it out to be. Ezra Cleveland is not a consolation prize in the second round when compared to Thomas/Becton/Wirfs/Wills. On the other hand Pittman/Higgins etc I can still get excited about. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

The top tier OTs have a bigger gap than people are making it out to be. Ezra Cleveland is not a consolation prize in the second round when compared to Thomas/Becton/Wirfs/Wills. On the other hand Pittman/Higgins etc I can still get excited about. 

Some see it as the opposite.  All depends what kind of OT JD and AG want.  Whatever that preference is, it will thin out the top 4 and make some of the rd 2 OTs more attractive.

• Upvote 1

Damn, I forget just how great KJ was sometimes. That guy always seemed to find the seem and be open and he caught everything. Those times in tight coverage you knew he had better than a 50/50 chance of coming down with it.  I was broken hearted when we traded him. Abraham was a nice way to use the pick, but one could argue KJ was the better player to have on the team. 

I never liked Moss all that much. I did like the pick initially though. I went to the mic'd up Herm Edwards Green and White scrimmage when he became our coach and Moss got hurt during the scrimmage. I never really thought of him as a dominant game changer for us. he had better years in Washington from what I remember. 

I'd love a guy like Keyshawn again. Him and Chrebet running around out there together was amazing. 

That said, I'd rather have Becton and Mims over Lamb and Cleveland. But that's just me. Either way I do believe the WR corp gets it's first legit boost of young talent in many years in this coming draft. And a grand day it will be! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Damn, I forget just how great KJ was sometimes. That guy always seemed to find the seem and be open and he caught everything. Those times in tight coverage you knew he had better than a 50/50 chance of coming down with it.  I was broken hearted when we traded him. Abraham was a nice way to use the pick, but one could argue KJ was the better player to have on the team. 

I never liked Moss all that much. I did like the pick initially though. I went to the mic'd up Herm Edwards Green and White scrimmage when he became our coach and Moss got hurt during the scrimmage. I never really thought of him as a dominant game changer for us. he had better years in Washington from what I remember. 

I'd love a guy like Keyshawn again. Him and Chrebet running around out there together was amazing. 

That said, I'd rather have Becton and Mims over Lamb and Cleveland. But that's just me. Either way I do believe the WR corp gets it's first legit boost of young talent in many years in this coming draft. And a grand day it will be! 

Well said great post yeah Key was so much fun for us to watch man. 1996. That was 24 years ago. The time is now. 

You can have an A+ and 5 Star Rated offensive line and QB's like Vinny of 1999 or Pennington can still get injured any given play. Because it's football. I've seen Sam Darnold survive two seasons under horrific offensive line play and he's survived and will continue to survive behind an improved Joe Douglas offensive front. 

1st: Jeudy/CeeDee.

2nd: O-Lineman. 

3rd (a): O-Lineman. 

3rd (b): O-Lineman. 

4th: RB (same round as Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery and Bilal Powell). 

While heading into the 5th round (1) and 6th rounds (2) with a completely revamped offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well said great post yeah Key was so much fun for us to watch man. 1996. That was 24 years ago. The time is now. 

You can have an A+ and 5 Star Rated offensive line and QB's like Vinny of 1999 or Pennington can still get injured any given play. Because it's football. I've seen Sam Darnold survive two seasons under horrific offensive line play and he's survived and will continue to survive behind an improved Joe Douglas offensive front. 

1st: Jeudy/CeeDee.

2nd: O-Lineman. 

3rd (a): O-Lineman. 

3rd (b): O-Lineman. 

4th: RB (same round as Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery and Bilal Powell). 

While heading into the 5th round (1) and 6th rounds (2) with a completely revamped offense. 

Oh man, that's scary not to grab another WR in the 3rd. That's where the likes of Pittman, Peoples-Jones, Davis and Edwards are gonna be taken imo. Pittman may sneak into the 2nd but still. I would really love to grab one of those cats. If we do go WR in the first, we HAVE to go OL in the second for sure but I'd still like to see another WR in the 3rd. 

I'm actually warming to the idea of grabbing a RB in this draft. I wasn't initially on that train, but I'm getting there. I've been digging into the RB' a bit more this past week and there are some I really like.  We can grab a guy like Lamical Perine in the 5th who would be perfect as a 3rd back behind Bell and maybe Powell. He's a much better return man than Cannon too so that could free us from that guy who is just never going to amount to much imo. But there are some really good guys later in the draft. JaMycal Hasty from Baylor is another guy I'm digging as that third back. 

35 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Oh man, that's scary not to grab another WR in the 3rd. That's where the likes of Pittman, Peoples-Jones, Davis and Edwards are gonna be taken imo. Pittman may sneak into the 2nd but still. I would really love to grab one of those cats. If we do go WR in the first, we HAVE to go OL in the second for sure but I'd still like to see another WR in the 3rd. 

I'm actually warming to the idea of grabbing a RB in this draft. I wasn't initially on that train, but I'm getting there. I've been digging into the RB' a bit more this past week and there are some I really like.  We can grab a guy like Lamical Perine in the 5th who would be perfect as a 3rd back behind Bell and maybe Powell. He's a much better return man than Cannon too so that could free us from that guy who is just never going to amount to much imo. But there are some really good guys later in the draft. JaMycal Hasty from Baylor is another guy I'm digging as that third back. 

That's why I was thinking an RB during the 4th. 

I'm an FSU fan so a little biased but Cam Akers is a clone of our blazing quick and fast pure Florida speed types of backs in the mold of Warrick Dunn, Leon Washington, Devonte Freeman and some are saying even more talented than Dalvin Cook who I had so many posts calling for, only to see him get selected with the very next pick but yes Akers is going to be great but it's looking like 3rd rounder for him.

AJ Dillon. Check him out some say can slip into the 4th. I like his game a lot. 

But yes. Sure. Why not...

1st.) Jeudy/CeeDee. 

2nd.) O-Lineman. 

3rd a.) WR. 

3rd b.) O-Lineman.

4th.) RB. 

After 4 rounds = 2 WR's/2 OL/1 RB. 

How is that for a rebuild around Darnold and our offense with Bell, Crowder, Herndon and Perriman already in place?

QB: Sam Darnold. 

RB: Le'Veon Bell (+ 4th rounder). 

WR #1: Jerry Jeudy/CeeDee Lamb. 

Slot: Jamison Crowder. 

TE #1: Chris Herndon. 

WR #2: Pittman Jr. (or Perriman). 

TE#2: Ryan Griffin. 

That offense is fully loaded @ skilled player positions and with an up and coming younger Franchise QB under Center in Sam Darnold too (K.C Chiefs potential right there). 

Behind an improved Joe Douglas offensive line, a stacked Gregg Williams led Defense and an offensive attack light years more explosive than 2009/2010 with Darnold over Sanchez and with more weapons too? Instant contenders before attacking O-Line again next year as well...

• Sympathy 1

The last time we took a stud offensive lineman in the first round it was 2006. The season before we had finished 5-11 with Bollinger under center with the worst Jet oline ever. The next year eith Rookie Brick/Mangold we were 10-6 and a playoff team. I thank Brick and Mangold for that. The year we drafted Keyshawn #1 we went 1-15. Yeah, I take the best olinemen available at 11.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Josh Allen cough cough

Best offensive players from the 2019 draft (outside of Kyler Murray):  OT Kaleb McGary (# 31 overall), Deebo Samuel (2nd round pick) and AJ Brown (2nd round pick).

I shudder at the thought of which offensive player we'd have ended up with had Macc taken one in the 1st, even after a trade down.  Still would have been better than Quinnen Williams, however.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Best offensive players from the 2019 draft (outside of Kyler Murray):  OT Kaleb McGary (# 31 overall), Deebo Samuel (2nd round pick) and AJ Brown (2nd round pick).

I shudder at the thought of which offensive player we'd have ended up with had Macc taken one in the 1st, even after a trade down.  Still would have been better than Quinnen Williams, however.

Brown was my favorite WR last year. 

• Upvote 1