Go On The Record: First Round Pick

Go On The Record: First Round Pick Will Be...  

120 members have voted

1. 1. At #11 NYJ Select...

• WR
    • OT

OT

Andrew Thomas or Josh Jones.

I’d love if Wills fell. I’m not as keen on Becton or Wirfs but wouldn’t complain if they were @ 11. Josh Jones is the “oh sh*t, 4 OT’s went top 10” pick. If we could trade down and take him, I’d prefer that to Wirfs or Becton outright @ 11, but trading down is always thrown around this board and hardly ever done by the Jets - also kinda risky if 4 OT’s go ahead of you. 

I’d say my most likely scenario is Wills, Wirfs and Becton going top 10 and us taking Thomas @ 11. I’m cool with that. Bring me two receivers in rounds 2-3 and I’m a happy Jets fan. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

OT

I’d love if Wills fell. I’m not as keen on Becton or Wirfs but wouldn’t complain if they were @ 11. Josh Jones is the “oh sh*t, 4 OT’s went top” pick. If we could trade down and take him, I’d prefer that to Wirfs or a Becton outright @ 11, but trading down is always thrown around this board and hardly ever done. 

I’d say my most likely scenario is Wills, Wirfs and Becton going top 10 and us taking Thomas @ 11. I’m cool with that. Bring me two receivers in rounds 2-3 and I’m a happy Jets fan. 

good takes

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Reasoning for an OT:

Folks, we've been looking for our franchise QB for what? Almost 50 years?  We finally have someone with a bit of potential (accent on potential) and we are not going to invest in several ways to protect him at all cost?  That's asinine.  If he can't stand up straight and is constantly running for his life, Jerry Rice can be out there, it's going to be make zero difference.

Good news: Joe Douglas seems slow, steady and RATIONAL--which 99.999999% of the NYJ fan base is NOT.  Not a chance in hell is this guy going with a first round WR.  It's just not in his DNA.

And for those of us with some logic and mental wherewithal, this bodes well...

So then why did you even start this thread :blink:

n4ypuoi0yic41.jpg

I'm going Wide Receiver.

2020's Wide Receiver draft class could become 2014 all over again (headlined by Odell Beckham Jr. and Mike Evans) as one of the greatest wide receiving draft classes of all time (with Jerry Jeudy / CeeDee Lamb as the two headliners of this years draft class). 

I'm going with either Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb as my guys. 

Born in 1985 I'm 34 years old as of today. 

I was only an 11 year old kid back when we drafted Keyshawn Johnson (during the 1st round). 

I was only a 16 year old High School kid when we drafted Santana Moss (during this 1st round). 

And since then it's been almost 20 years (19) since the last time I've seen this franchise draft any of our Quarterbacks a 1st round Wide Receiver.

ennbtqyxyg841.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Good news: Joe Douglas seems slow, steady and RATIONAL--which 99.999999% of the NYJ fan base is NOT.  Not a chance in hell is this guy going with a first round WR.  It's just not in his DNA.

Where and what are you basing this assessment off of? 

A.) Is it based off of three (3) 1st Round Wide Receivers being drafted within the 1st round while Douglas was a Scout for the Baltimore Ravens? 

or

B.) Is it based off of Chicago (2015) going Wide Receiver with their 1st round pick (7th overall) as Joe Douglas was Director of College Scouting? 

Because I'm really not quite sure where all of this whole "WR not being within his DNA" talk came from to begin with...

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

WR

I’d put my money on Jeudy.

Again, fans can pray for one of the 4 or 5 top OT’s at #11 until they’re blue in the face. But I guarantee that Douglas and his scouting department don’t have all of these guys rated on the same scale.

Douglas is going to have at least 1 of these wideouts ranked ahead of the Wirfs/Becton/Wills/Thomas/Jones group.

I’d certainly have no qualms against taking one of the OT’s, but some of you people have become demented with this “draft OL at any cost!” nonsense.

As if Darnold couldn’t use a legitimate weapon in the passing game...

A tidbit that should be thrown into the equation is that both the Ravens and Eagles during Douglas’ tenures pretty much SUCKED at developing WR talent. Meanwhile they were both pretty damn solid to say the least at identifying OL after the first round.

Douglas is a former OL whose supposed strength is identifying talent along the offensive trenches.

So why the hell is everyone acting like we’re up sh*ts creek without a paddle unless we draft one in the top half of the 1st round?

Give me a legitimate f*cking playmaker that our young QB can implicitly trust. Instead of relying on Breshad Perriman and some 2nd/3rd round rookie as his starting outside receivers.

Jeudy projects as a legitimate #1. 

Lamb projects as a legitimate #1.

Ruggs projects as a legitimate #1.

Pick your delicious, savory poison.

We could very well have our pick of any of the 3. Meanwhile most of you snapdicks are talking about taking maybe the 4th or 5th best OT in this class just because you’re so dead set on going OL in the 1st.

Silliness 

Respectfully disagree. I prefer the blue chip OT. I think we’re desperate for help at tackle and WR, it just so happens the 11 overall is seemingly a good spot for OT’s and rounds 2-3 are loaded with viable WR prospects. 

I think we both see the needs as the same, like most Jets fans, I just think the difference is greater between the top 5 offensive tackles and then next 5 offensive tackles after that, as opposed to the WR’s - I think the dropoff in that group is far more gradual.

I’m firmly in camp “OT @ 11 and grab two WR’s I’m rounds 2-3”. 

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If Thomas or Wills are there then Tackle

if not Juedy 

if all 3 aren’t there 

then

Wirfs then Becton

if all 5 of them are gone, then I give up 

Seems like we have similar rankings. I’d still prefer an OT over a WR, but I can’t argue that a Jeudy isn’t safer than Wirfs and Becton. 

Good post. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, southtown24th said:

reasoning?  How does a WR protect Sam Darnold long term?

Easily. 

Joe Montana to Jerry Rice. 

Joe Namath to Don Maynard. 

Terry Bradshaw to Lynn Swann. 

Steve Young to Jerry Rice. 

Steve Young to Terrell Owens. 

Troy Aikman to Michael Irvin. 

Jim Kelly to Andre Reed. 

John Elway to Rod Smith. 

Brett Favre to Donald Driver. 

Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe. 

Warren Moon to Chris Carter. 

Steve McNair to Derrick Mason. 

Kurt Warner to Isaac Bruce. 

Kurt Warned to Torry Holt. 

Drew Bledoe to Terry Glenn. 

Tom Brady to Randy Moss. 

Tom Brady to Rob Gronkowski (TE). 

Peyton Manning to Marvin Harrison. 

Peyton Manning to Reggie Wayne. 

Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress. 

Ben Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown. 

Matthew Stafford to Calvin Johnson. 

Tony Romo to Dez Bryant. 

Matt Ryan to Julio Jones. 

Drew Brees to Michael Thomas . 

Dak Prescott to Amari Cooper. 

Deshaun Watson to DeAndre Hopkins. 

Patrick Mahomes to Tyreek Hill. 

Just to name a few. 

However as a franchise it's dated back to 19 years ago since the last time we've drafted a 1st round Wide Receiver (2001). 

So I get it - I understand;

As you may have since forgotten how a dominant 1st round Wide Receiver on the outside could help protect a younger Sam Darnold (long term) by having an X-Factor to feature as an offensive weapon on the outside @ WR.

All because it's been so long...

31 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Easily. 

Jim Kelly to Andre Reed. 

John Elway to Rod Smith. 

Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe (TE). 

Tom Brady to Randy Moss. 

Tony Romo to Dez Bryant. 

Just to name a few. 

However as a franchise it's dated back to 19 years ago since the last time we've drafted a 1st round Wide Receiver (2001). 

As you may have since forgotten how a dominant 1st round Wide Receiver on the outside could help protect a younger Sam Darnold (long term) by having an X-Factor to feature as an offensive weapon on the outside @ WR.

This is what will happen to Sam if we dont get him an elite LT. First things first.

transport.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

some of you clowns act like you're actually employed by the franchise...you seem to take your armchair GM jobs quite seriously.  Walmart hiring?  Go find a job.

Why would you start a thread like this and then critique people for their opinions on the matter?  It makes no sense and you sound like a total dumbass.

I hope we don't take a dumbass with pick #11!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Easily. 

Jim Kelly to Andre Reed. 

John Elway to Rod Smith. 

Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe (TE). 

Tom Brady to Randy Moss. 

Tony Romo to Dez Bryant. 

Just to name a few. 

Most of the receivers you named were not first round picks.  You kind of validated getting your receiver later in the draft.

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

OT

I’d love if Wills fell. I’m not as keen on Becton or Wirfs but wouldn’t complain if they were @ 11. Josh Jones is the “oh sh*t, 4 OT’s went top 10” pick. If we could trade down and take him, I’d prefer that to Wirfs or Becton outright @ 11, but trading down is always thrown around this board and hardly ever done by the Jets - also kinda risky if 4 OT’s go ahead of you. 

this is what I'm doing in a mock right now. Chose Thomas (11) , Aiyuk (48) and Pittman (68) and OTC now with 79.  Any suggestions for 79:  https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/151111-mocking-for-jets-otc-at-round-3/?tab=comments#comment-4448786

Tackle. As things stand right now the Jets potentially need multiple players at both positions long-term, almost definitely need a tackle this year, and do definitely need an outside receiver.

This receiver class is definitively deeper than the tackle class, which has okay depth but is better up top. In this class I think if the Jets go tackle at eleven they can still get two excellent receivers on day two and effectively fill both needs while being pretty sure their first round tackle will be able to go in and start and also that at least one of their day two receivers will be able to do the same. And taking multiple receivers this year in this class is just a good call. Take advantage of the depth. Just make sure it’s the guys who would be borderline first rounders in a less deep class in round two and three, not the guys coming off the board on day three like Idzik in 2014.

Also think JN is doomsdaying the tackle situation way too much. Outlets have Thomas ranked in the late teens or twenties and getting drafted there. Not saying the Jets are going to grab Thomas after trading down but I’ll be pretty surprised if none of the top four tackles is there at eleven.

• Upvote 1

I went with a WR.  Up until recently I would have said OT.  I chose WR because I do think the Jets will have their choice of one or both of the top WRs.  They might not get a chance at one of the top 2 OTs.  I think the Jets will do just fine using the #2 to get a fine OL.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

this is what I'm doing in a mock right now. Chose Thomas (11) , Aiyuk (48) and Pittman (68) and OTC now with 79.  Any suggestions for 79:  https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/151111-mocking-for-jets-otc-at-round-3/?tab=comments#comment-4448786

Bartch, probably. I don’t know enough about Dantzler, but he’s interesting as well. I like Peoples-Jones but you already have two receivers. 
I like Anae too, but I think it’s gotta be Bartch. Imagine walking away from the first three rounds with two OT’s and two two receivers. 

good luck! 

• Upvote 1

imo, if the draft tracker grades are to be believed and are relative to each other then the top olinemen have a slim advantage over the top wr's.  the grades aren't super high in any case.  i think we are seeing a lot of really good players but none that stand out.  when the jets signed perriman they essentially made it easier to draft wr's in later rounds and let them work their way into the line up.  the olineman , if a tackle , won't have that luxury.  he will have to start from day 1.

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

For the love of all things holy, can people add a third option on questions where the possibility is neither? 

If you wake up with a penis in your mouth, do you bite it or suck it?

12 hours ago, southtown24th said:

there is no neither.

sorry penis man.

seems you like penises in your mouth tho.

11 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

So what you're saying is that you would suck it? Got it.

11 hours ago, southtown24th said:

sounds like you think about this kind of stuff quite a bit.

typical WT from NJ.

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Got it. You wanted to confirm that you would suck the penis rather than bite it.

You guys realize that you're both losing this argument, right? 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

Most of the receivers you named were not first round picks.  You kind of validated getting your receiver later in the draft.

That's because I only gave a couple of examples but please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when some of the greatest receivers of all time have came out of the 1st round). 

Jerry Rice. 

Randy Moss. 

Tim Brown. 

Michael Irvin.

Lynn Swann. 

Al Toon. 

Marvin Harrison. 

Reggie Wayne. 

Calvin Johnson.

Keyshawn Johnson. 

Larry Fitzgerald. 

Dez Bryant. 

AJ Green. 

Julio Jones. 

DeAndre Hopkins. 

Amari Cooper.

Mike Evans. 

Odell Beckham Jr. 

Etc, etc

All former and current 1st round WR draft picks.

and speaking of validation; I bet you can not create yourself a top 16-17 WR group (outside of the 1st round) that can match the production from those 16-17 who I've mentioned and listed above (I bet you can't); and until then please don't talk to me about 1st round receivers (when we've only drafted 2 dating back to 24 years ago of 1996).