JetNation

Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas

With the NFL draft now fewer than three weeks away, rumors are sure to start swirling and there was one out of Atlanta today regarding a possible trade down for Joe Douglas and the Jets.

It appears they are at least discussing moving up. We just recorded a new podcast today in which our scout again says ATL has spoken with the Jets about moving up to 11, but the feeling is they may try to go higher than that. https://t.co/s1oFPWmE6V

— Paul Crane (@PaulCrane7) April 3, 2020

Atlanta sports radio reporter Paul Crane of 92.9 The Game, claims that the Falcons, who are looking to move up from the 16th overall spot, have had some discussion with the Jets.  Crane also adds that Atlanta could be looking to move up higher than that.

If the Jets were to move down to the sixteenth pick, it could still leave them in position to grab a left tackle in Houston’s Josh Jones while adding draft capital.

The post Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

NhHMg9Psvk8

Click here to read the full story...

I assume this would happen on draft day if it does. So if DL Brown is sitting there at #11 then we could likely get some good draft picks back and probably still get OT Jones. That would be good. 

Or, since they want a DL that bad would they take QW for their #16 and their 2nd rounder this year, then we keep our #11?. Since our DL has done well I would make that trade right now. Heck, we could then get one of the best WR Prospects and an LT in round 1 and have 2nd and 3rd rounders that would allow us to take another OT/WR/CB/Edge. There were trade offers for QW this past year but we didn't want to do it since he was a 3rd overall pick.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Like 1

When was the last time we traded down in the 1st round?   Maybe for Doug Jolley?

I feel like it’s rare we ever even trade down in the top 3 rounds.

• Post of the Week 1

I'm too jaded to believe we have a GM that can finally work the phone on draft day to move down when it matters. Sad part is I'm 34. I know Tanny didn't know how to trade down, Idizik used his 50 picks to fuel the largest dumpster fire in history and Mac patted himself on the back when Mel Kipers top defensive player fell to him every year. We lucked into Darnold with a pre draft trade. I don't remember all Bradway's BS off the top of my head

• Upvote 3

This would be a good trade down. We’d likely pick up a 3rd which in this draft is valuable. At 16 Jones will still likely be there and maybe one of the three WR. Likely not on WR since LV, SF and Den are looking for receiving help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Douglas seems to be a guy that knows what he’s doing, or at least has a plan. It shows how terrible Maccagnan and Idzik was previously.

He definitely seems to have a plan. We can only hope he knows what he is doing! 

• Upvote 2

Hopefully they are talking to lots of teams about moving down.  I would, possibly a couple of times.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

This is welcomed news. Like someone mentioned before, if if one of them top 4OL is still there at 11, you stay put. If not, if you tell me that moving down only 5 slots gets us an additional ,say 3rd round pick, ya do it!!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Men or inches? 

Oh My God Wow GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Hopefully they are talking to lots of teams about moving down.  I would, possibly a couple of times.  

I'm sure they are. Need to have an idea in advance of who's willing to move, and what they'd be looking for if they do. That's how they can put a trade together in ten minutes when it counts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

No thanks. Quality over quantity. If these means we miss on one of the top wrs no thanks

I'd be fine trading back a few spots, gaining an extra 2nd or 3rd and picking Justin Jefferson. Not much drop off from Jeudy to Jefferson.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

No thanks. Quality over quantity. If these means we miss on one of the top wrs no thanks

Thank you. Quality over quantity.. would be nice to get additional picks. But if that guy is there at 11 and JD targets him. Have to take him there. No messing around. Whoever that may be. (Wr or Ot).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just did a mock w/this trade. My preference is one of the big tackles early, but in this spot they were all gone.

040520mock.png.2889bf75a3ae2ccd31288360aa516229.png

ATL

Received:

• Pick 11 - C.J. Henderson
  • Pick 191 - Broderick Washington Jr.
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 16 - Henry Ruggs III
  • Pick 78 - Tyler Biadasz
  • Pick 119 - Kenny Willekes

What about at 48? No OL worth taking there? I’ll go mental if they take two WRs and Biadasz 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What about at 48? No OL worth taking there? I’ll go mental if they take two WRs and Biadasz 

The only o-lineman taken between 48 & 68 was Matt Hennessy - C Temple

Is josh jones + 3rd and 4th rounder better than Thomas?  Perhaps.  But if the jets are serious about doing this, it’s clear their OT rankings are not tier 1 way above the rest. 

In every mock draft simulation I have done if I pick a WR in the 1st, the value of players diminishes in the following rounds. This does not happen when I pick OT at #11.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just did a mock w/this trade. My preference is one of the big tackles early, but in this spot they were all gone.

ATL

Received:

NYJ

Received:

Love this mock, except for ruggs. Not a ruggs fan, would prefer Justin Jefferson.

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

ATL

Received:

NYJ

Received:

I'm a big advocate of OL at 11 but if we traded back to 16 and somehow got Lamb/Juedy/Jefferson and then had a draft like the one you had I'd be happy. I would take another OL with the round 6 or 7 pick though. Get real beefy up front

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Douglas seems to be a guy that knows what he’s doing, or at least has a plan. It shows how terrible Maccagnan and Idzik was previously.

Lets atleast give him the opportunity to show that he does. Douglas has yet to even manage a draft. 

• Upvote 1

Little different take here from the Falcon's perspective. The article mentioned that they may want to get even higher than 11. My guess is it's either for Simmons, if he was falling, but more likely for either a WR( Julio not getting any younger) or a QB that they love as Ryan's replacement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Atlanta is in DIRE need of an Dline & Edge Rusher. The Falcons need defense to compliment their offense against the Saints & now Brady is in the same division. Could they be targeting, Patrick Queen or Kinlaw? They could be there at 11 based on a lot of mock drafts. 

Right outside of the top 10. I truly believe if the opportunity arises JD would prefer to move back. 16 is a great spot in this draft. 

Of course I believe if Wirfs, Wills, or Becton are there we're taking our 10 year LT. 

I do think JD wants more picks.  Moving Down 5 spots isn’t bad.  I think we can still get a bigtime WR there or a OL(although not one of the top ones).  I’m all for more picks 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Is josh jones + 3rd and 4th rounder better than Thomas?  Perhaps.  But if the jets are serious about doing this, it’s clear their OT rankings are not tier 1 way above the rest. 

I think it's very possible that the Jets have Josh Jones higher on their board than Thomas, and that would be their likely target at #16. I'd expect the top three WRs to be off the board there. 

Armed with three third rounders, I'd then like to see the Jets use one to trade their second up to the cusp of the first and second rounds to take their top WR there. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lets atleast give him the opportunity to show that he does. Douglas has yet to even manage a draft. 

I think everybody understands that.  But so far it looks like he has a clue. Nothing wrong with having some optimism 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Little different take here from the Falcon's perspective. The article mentioned that they may want to get even higher than 11. My guess is it's either for Simmons, if he was falling, but more likely for either a WR( Julio not getting any younger) or a QB that they love as Ryan's replacement.

I doubt that a team with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley are trading up for a wide receiver.

• Upvote 3