Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down

JetNation

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just did a mock w/this trade. My preference is one of the big tackles early, but in this spot they were all gone.

040520mock.png.2889bf75a3ae2ccd31288360aa516229.png

ATL

Received:

• Pick 11 - C.J. Henderson
  • Pick 191 - Broderick Washington Jr.
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 16 - Henry Ruggs III
  • Pick 78 - Tyler Biadasz
  • Pick 119 - Kenny Willekes

Why , in god's name , would you draft two WR's first ? Do you enjoy seeing Sam on his back ?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Why , in god's name , would you draft two WR's first ? Do you enjoy seeing Sam on his back ?

At 16 I thought Ruggs was the right value pick. A trade back into the tail end of R1 or beginning of R2 would have probably been ideal. Here's the o-linemen that went between 16 & 48.

26: Autin Jackson - OT - USC
33: Cesar Ruiz - C - Michigan
34: Ezra Cleveland - OT - Boise State
38: Isaiah Wilson - OT - Georgia 
42: Josh Jones - OT - Houston
46: Lucas Niang - OT - TCU

At 48 - again - I thought Pittman was the right value pick. The only o-lineman taken between 48 & 68 was the center from Temple at 56.

btw - here's the link if you want to tinker around w/it

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I assume this would happen on draft day if it does. So if DL Brown is sitting there at #11 then we could likely get some good draft picks back and probably still get OT Jones. That would be good. 

Or, since they want a DL that bad would they take QW for their #16 and their 2nd rounder this year, then we keep our #11?. Since our DL has done well I would make that trade right now. Heck, we could then get one of the best WR Prospects and an LT in round 1 and have 2nd and 3rd rounders that would allow us to take another OT/WR/CB/Edge. There were trade offers for QW this past year but we didn't want to do it since he was a 3rd overall pick.

Nice as it sounds, it ain't happening. We'd be lucky to get their 2nd for QW. That's just reality.

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

We see trade ups all the time in the first rd.  In order for someone to trade up, someone has to trade down.  :P  

As far as the Jets trading down in there 1st, I believe it was 97 with Parcells blowing our number one overall pick.  There value he got back for that pick is laughable. Then he went to UVA to grab a LB in Farrior.  I think we basically got Dedric Ward out of it.  Lame! 

We passed on Orlando Pace AND Walter Jones to make that trade. Add to it Boulware, Shawn Springs and Tony Gonzales. lol 

Now that I read this I think its why I despise trading down so much. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm too jaded to believe we have a GM that can finally work the phone on draft day to move down when it matters. Sad part is I'm 34. I know Tanny didn't know how to trade down, Idizik used his 50 picks to fuel the largest dumpster fire in history and Mac patted himself on the back when Mel Kipers top defensive player fell to him every year. We lucked into Darnold with a pre draft trade. I don't remember all Bradway's BS off the top of my head

doug jolley is all you need to know.

1 minute ago, Dupe said:

Now that I read this I think its way I despise trading down so much. 

It was an awful trade for sure but I think trading down from 11 to 16 is much different.  Especially if we think we can get Ruggs at 16 and get more capital to fill out the other holes 

8 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

This board is getting a bit too crazy about offensive lineman. We can't have 20 Olineman. A team has a cap and needs to fill out the roster. We don't need more than one high pick on OL this year. We already have developmental guys. Also, we'll be absolutely fine if we grab one in the second round. I trust JD knows how to evaluate tackles and that his evaluation isn't the same as the draft guys. We shouldn't wait for WR or OL - they should be the top two picks, but the order can vary. The only way I can see grabbing more than one OL in the draft is if there is a center they like. 

All of this Quinnen bashing is off base. The guy is really young and can develop into a dominant presence. He showed flashes last year. Talk about not giving a guy a chance - he could end up being the most impactful player on our D in a year or two. He's so young and has a lot of potential. He can blow up plays all on his own. Can we please give the kid a chance. Greg Williams will develop him and we'll be happy to have kept him.

i end to agree with quite a bit of this.  sure there are these top 4 olinemen coming out but there are quite a few in the next group.  the jets need to fill a tackle position.  better if they get their lt but not the end of the world if they can get a player who be worked into the rotation.

as for qwill, the guy is now in his second year.  his first year was exactly great and he didn't live up to his draft position but give him time.  when he played he played pretty well.  as i recall myles garrett didn't play much his rookie year.  no he's a pretty darn good player (okay unless he assaults qb's).

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

? If we had just sat there, and done nothing, Heath Miller would have fallen right into our laps that year, correct?

i don't remember all of the details.  maybe.  the other bradway fail was robertson.  i don't see how you can draft a player so highly that has chronic knee problems.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

At 16 I thought Ruggs was the right value pick. A trade back into the tail end of R1 or beginning of R2 would have probably been ideal. Here's the o-linemen that went between 16 & 48.

26: Autin Jackson - OT - USC
33: Cesar Ruiz - C - Michigan
34: Ezra Cleveland - OT - Boise State
38: Isaiah Wilson - OT - Georgia 
42: Josh Jones - OT - Houston
46: Lucas Niang - OT - TCU

At 48 - again - I thought Pittman was the right value pick. The only o-lineman taken between 48 & 68 was the center from Temple at 56.

btw - here's the link if you want to tinker around w/it

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

Try leaving Pittman there next time. I bet he'd be available in the third. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I love the idea but the dead cap hit for Quinnen is brutal. We actually lose an additional $9m in cap space this year if we trade Quinnen. Not to mention we probably lose value from the gun situation. 

I would still make this move if possible though.

#11 - 1,250 points

#16 - 1,000 points - they'd have to throw in a 3rd and 4th to balance it out or perhaps we can throw in a pick that pushes the value higher and receive a 2nd round pick instead.

Now go fix your JD shirt with the inverted plane. LOL 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just did a mock w/this trade. My preference is one of the big tackles early, but in this spot they were all gone.

ATL

Received:

NYJ

Received:

No Way Reaction GIF by moodman

20200405_105337.thumb.jpg.c2089a1658779d1140cad432393726dd.jpg

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I think everybody understands that.  But so far it looks like he has a clue. Nothing wrong with having some optimism 

I think everyone does. I for one am not impressed  with JD's decisions thus far. However, am I optimistic that by his constant attempt to address the Oline that something will stick? Sure. Am I impressed by players so far? No. I can hope for the best, but the reality is we've signed multiple tackles and guards and I still feel like we have holes at tackle and guard. I feel like our WR room has downgraded. 

Im not killing optimism, im just saying that my optimism shouldnt be what I use as the differentiating factor to past GM's. I remember seeing that with Macc when Idzik was fired. Today we put them both in the same category. 

I think it should be cool for folks to also hold a man to his job title in order for him to show and prove. JD simply "showing up for work" is better than Macc right now, which shows you how low of a bar that is. 

We can have optimism and still be real about things. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think everyone does. I for one am not impressed  with JD's decisions thus far. However, am I optimistic that by his constant attempt with address the Oline that something will stick? Sure. Am I impressed by players so far? No. I can hope for the best, but the reality is we've signed multiple tackles and guards and I still feel like we have holes at tackle and guard. I feel like our WR room has downgraded. 

Im not killing optimism, im just saying that my optimism shouldnt be what I use as the differentiating factor to past GM's. I remember seeing that with Macc when Idzik was fired. Today we put them both in the same category. 

I think it should be cool for folks to also hold a man to his job title in order for him to show and prove. JD simply "showing up for work" is better than Macc right now, which shows you how low of a bar that is. 

We can have optimism and still be real about things. 

I never said you weren’t being real but I feel I’ve been pretty realistic whey it comes to JD.  I never said JD has been great.  I’m not huge on Fant.  But I really like McGovern and Van Roten.  Even though I was a Robby fan im not bashing JD for him leaving especially since they offered him a pretty good deal.  I personally like Perriman but accept him for what he is.  We still do t know how great he is at the draft..we shall see

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I never said you weren’t being real but I feel I’ve been pretty realistic whey it comes to JD.  I never said JD has been great.  I’m not huge on Fant.  But I really like McGovern and Van Roten.  Even though I was a Robby fan im not bashing JD for him leaving especially since they offered him a pretty good deal.  I personally like Perriman but accept him for what he is.  

Then everything is good. :thumbup:

We still do t know how great he is at the draft..we shall see

Which is basically what I said in my initial comment. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lets atleast give him the opportunity to show that he does. Douglas has yet to even manage a draft. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

No thanks. Quality over quantity. If these means we miss on one of the top wrs no thanks

Well, right now we have neither quality nor quantity.

If this was the NBA and one player accounted for 20% of the team on the court/field, I'd agree.  But not in this case.

Dropping from #11 into the late teens (Falcons, Cowboys, etc.) should net a 2nd round pick (maybe an early 3rd).  Getting two very good prospects is better than getting a single great one in my opinion.  The time to focus on quality is when (if) this team is ever just a player or two away from championship contention.  It's the same thing in FA as the Draft....accumulating a larger collection of good players is better right now than getting one or two great ones.  We're not the Chiefs who recognized they needed a guy or two like Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark to get over the hump.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, right now we have neither quality nor quantity.

If this was the NBA and one player accounted for 20% of the team on the court/field, I'd agree.  But not in this case.

Dropping from #11 into the late teens (Falcons, Cowboys, etc.) should net a 2nd round pick (maybe an early 3rd).  Getting two very good prospects is better than getting a single great one in my opinion.  The time to focus on a quality is when (if) this team is ever just a player or two away from championship contention.  It's the same thing in FA as the Draft....accumulating a larger collection of good players is better right now than getting one or two great ones.  We're not the Chiefs who recognized they needed a guy or two like Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark to get over the hump.

Agreed.  Plus it’s not a huge drop.  I think we get a very good player at 16.  I think JD feels Ruggs night be there although most mocks have him at 15.  Either way somebody who was projected in the top 10 will fall they always do.  Plus having 2 2nds and 2 3rds would do wonders for us as we try to build through the draft as quick and efficient as possible 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I mean I never claimed you didn’t say that ? 

That's true, you didn't. But you said that there was nothing wrong with having some optimism, when I never said or suggested that there was something wrong with optimism.

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I think everybody understands that.  But so far it looks like he has a clue. Nothing wrong with having some optimism 

And that is why I explained the difference between my optimism and the current reality of things. 

You jumped the gun a little. It's cool my guy. :-) 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

ATL

Received:

NYJ

Received:

I really like this.

Wanogho and Peart are a great double-dip of Zone-Blocking OTs.  Ruggs and Pittman almost immediately solve the WR problem, and when thrown into the mix with Perriman, Doctson, Crowder, etc. make for a really, really interesting training camp.

Willekes and McFarland are two of my favorite middle-round players in the entire Draft.

Using the last pick on a K to compete with Maher is a prudent move.

You'll take heat for not getting one of the "premiere" OTs but this would be a very, very solid Draft IMO.  AT LEAST one of Wanogho/Peart would be starting by the middle of this season and I think Wanogho becomes the starting LT by 2021.

And let's not forget, you can absolutely find starting OTs at #68 and #79.  Jason Fabini, starting LT for about 8 years in the early 2000's with the NYJ was taken #111 overall (4th round, 1998)

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Plus it’s not a huge drop.  I think we get a very good player at 16.  I think JD feels Ruggs night be there although most mocks have him at 15.  Either way somebody who was projected in the top 10 will fall they always do.  Plus having 2 2nds and 2 3rds would do wonders for us as we try to build through the draft as quick and efficient as possible 

None of the top 3 wrs or tackles will be there at 16.  If the jets want jones, he’ll be there.  

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

This board is getting a bit too crazy about offensive lineman. We can't have 20 Olineman. A team has a cap and needs to fill out the roster. We don't need more than one high pick on OL this year. We already have developmental guys. Also, we'll be absolutely fine if we grab one in the second round. I trust JD knows how to evaluate tackles and that his evaluation isn't the same as the draft guys. We shouldn't wait for WR or OL - they should be the top two picks, but the order can vary. The only way I can see grabbing more than one OL in the draft is if there is a center they like. 

All of this Quinnen bashing is off base. The guy is really young and can develop into a dominant presence. He showed flashes last year. Talk about not giving a guy a chance - he could end up being the most impactful player on our D in a year or two. He's so young and has a lot of potential. He can blow up plays all on his own. Can we please give the kid a chance. Greg Williams will develop him and we'll be happy to have kept him.

Not sure I agree 100%. I agree about QW. Especially with the idea of trading Quinnen considering the cap hit.

However, I will say that despite all the O-line depth we signed, the Jets only have 2 OTs currently on the roster. Edoga and Fant. Neither guy gives me much confidence going forward. So, going into the draft they DO need to draft an OT early. And yeah, you're right, maybe JD targets one in Rd. 2, not Rd. 1. But you know what, we aren't exactly selecting early in Rd. 2., we're selecting 16th. I don't care what kind of scout you are, the top talent will go early, other talent evaluators aren't stupid. So JD can't wait too long. 

If anything, I could see us drafting 2 OTs. One early Rd 1 or 2, one later on Rd. 4-5. I just think we have so many OG/C's on the roster right now, even if only on short term deals, that there's no room for another C. 

McGovern, VanRotten, Harrison, Andrews- these guys have played OG and C. McGovern is currently penciled in at C. Lewis and Winters are the OGs. But I think Van Rotten takes Winters job and Winters gets cut. I think we draft a top tier OT, plug Fant at LT and Edoga at RT and let the rookie compete at one or the other position.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's true, you didn't. But you said that there was nothing wrong with having some optimism, when I never said or suggested that there was something wrong with optimism.

And that is why I explained the difference between my optimism and the current reality of things. 

You jumped the gun a little. It's cool my guy. :-) 

I wasn’t accusing you of not having optimism.  I was talking about in general.  I think you may have jumped the gun.  No big deal stay safe man ? 

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

At #16 the Jets would have the choice of at least one (probably two or three) of the following: WRs Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Mims and OTs Thomas, Josh Jones, Austin Jackson.  Any one of those players instantly helps the Jets and getting an additional pick on Day 2 would be invaluable to a team with a ton of needs.

This whole trade idea with Atlanta only happens if A.) We get to #11 and the Jets are comfortable leaving what's still on the Board and moving back AND B.) Atlanta sees a player available that really motivates them to trade up.

• Upvote 1