Report: Jets Talking to Falcons About Trade Down

JetNation

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I agree, very difficult decisions.  The one thing I'm not 100% sure though is that all 7(4 OT and 3 WR) would be gone at 16.  I think there is a chance(how much not sure) that one of the big 3 receivers is still there.

True, but you’re looking at the raiders/49ers/broncos and also, perhaps, the jaguars, and maybe even a team like Phily trading up.  I think the decision to trade back will be much more dependent on the OT rankings than the prospect of getting one of the top 3 wrs.  

That said, if things fall favorably, it’s possible that 2 of the ‘top 4’ OTs and all 3 wrs are there at 11, meaning one of them will be there at 15 if they swap with Denver.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  You really have to nail the pick (like when we moved up for Revis) to make it worth it.  Not having a lot of middle round picks is how you end up with a very top-heavy roster.  Or, if you miss on those picks when you trade up, end up with a sh*tty roster altogether.

True, Macc only traded up once.  But it was just as damaging when he failed to trade down when opportunities presented themselves.  Most notably last year.  Taking 75 or even 50 cents on the dollar to move down would have been 100x better than sticking and picking, especially making the pick we made.

His trade up was especially damaging considering his overall poor draft record.   If anything he should traded down more frequently and gathered more picks.   The Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams picks were both perfect opportunities to trade down (if he could find a trade partner).   Think about it, imagine having Josh Allen and Bud Dupree along with 2 to 4 additional picks in those drafts....   I am hoping the JD has this kind of mindset in this and future drafts. 

• Upvote 2

I'm always in favor of trading down, and probably like the idea more this year than I do most. The draft is always something of a crapshoot even with all testing, poking, prodding, evaluations, interviews, etc., in a normal year. This year, everyone has less information than they ordinarily do. Guys skipping the combine in favor of their pro days that never happened. More uncertainty than usual. It's a lottery, and you increase your odds in a lottery by having more tickets. This is definitely a year where having more picks is better than a higher pick, IMHO. I think we study this 11th pick in the draft for months then fall in love with the few guys expected to be available there rather than looking at it as a pretty deep draft where the Jets need it to be deep, or the fact that every year players go in later rounds that are better than players who go high. I'd rather have the extra picks, thus increasing my odds of hitting on a few. Even that mock where the Jets trade out of the first entirely is okay with me. 

• Upvote 2

The only way it'll be worth trading down with ATL is if both Jeudy and CeeDee are both on the board and at least 1 guaranteed to still be there 4 picks later... The Jets would get their star receiver and become winners of the draft with extra picks. 

However that's not happening because Jeudy/Lamb go back to back right after we trade down. Kind of like how my FSU kid Dalvin Cook went the very next pick after Maye. 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

When was the last time we traded down in the 1st round?   Maybe for Doug Jolley?

I feel like it’s rare we ever even trade down in the top 3 rounds.

LOL and that brilliant trade freed us up to take a lousy Kicker (Nugent) with our second rounder.

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The only way it'll be worth trading down with ATL is if both Jeudy and CeeDee are both on the board and at least 1 guaranteed to still be there 4 picks later... The Jets would get their star receiver and become winners of the draft with extra picks. 

However that's not happening because Jeudy/Lamb go back to back right after we trade down. Kind of like how my FSU kid Dalvin Cook went the very next pick after Maye. 

I was of the same mindset as recently as last week, but the closer we get to this draft and more I look at the number of quality receivers in this draft, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be receivers drafted in rounds 2, 3 and 4 that may turn out to be better than the top three.   The more picks we have the better chance, we get a couple of those guys and still fill other needs like CB, Edge, RB and of course OL.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly the Jets shouldn’t try to get too cute here. If one of the top 4 OTs are on the board at 11 just take that guy and be done with it. Jets haven’t had a franchise LT since DBrick

true, and i think a lot of trade scenarios emerge if all 4 are gone.  

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

His trade up was especially damaging considering his overall poor draft record.   If anything he should traded down more frequently and gathered more picks.   The Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams picks were both perfect opportunities to trade down (if he could find a trade partner).   Think about it, imagine having Josh Allen and Bud Dupree along with 2 to 4 additional picks in those drafts....   I am hoping the JD has this kind of mindset in this and future drafts. 

That's a big "if" - takes two to tango folks.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

I totally agree but do you really think he even tried?  Especially the Leonard Williams pick?  Based on his comments at the time I seriously doubt it.   

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly the Jets shouldn’t try to get too cute here. If one of the top 4 OTs are on the board at 11 just take that guy and be done with it. Jets haven’t had a franchise LT since DBrick

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

true, and i think a lot of trade scenarios emerge if all 4 are gone.  

FWIW, I've been poking around other boards and mocks from pundits and fans...  it almost never occurs that all 4 of those OTs are gone.  For a while, it was Thomas most often lingering or Thomas and Becton.  Lately it has been Becton I'm seeing dipping down.  Point is that we here are so sensitive to OT this year that we are predicting them to be overdrafted as a group.  It could be that one or even 2 are sitting there at 11.  All depends on QB trade ups I would think.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:18 AM, New York Mick said:

What about at 48? No OL worth taking there? I’ll go mental if they take two WRs and Biadasz 

Are you kidding?  Ruggs and Pittman would turbo charge this offense (although I am curious as what other wr/edge/cb were available at 48). Our offensive line would be adequate with those picks in the later round.  Odds are no OL we would pick in the second would be starting right away.   

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

FWIW, I've been poking around other boards and mocks from pundits and fans...  it almost never occurs that all 4 of those OTs are gone.  For a while, it was Thomas most often lingering or Thomas and Becton.  Lately it has been Becton I'm seeing dipping down.  Point is that we here are so sensitive to OT this year that we are predicting them to be overdrafted as a group.  It could be that one or even 2 are sitting there at 11.  All depends on QB trade ups I would think.

Very true.  This said, Douglas could still trade back with one of these guys available, which won’t sit well on this board.

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Today's mock w/this trade. I have Wills as my #1 OT, would absolutely love this.

041520mock.png.ad4cddbf5c986ed717b1777b4e25efd1.png

041520mock.2.png.6bb9deedece019ec6766bd63ee38605b.png

Back to back OTs? And to top it off a 3rd round center after we just signed one in FA? No sir. 

Our receiver depth is far worse than our OLine after free agency. 

I would go this route with the exact same trade. 

20200415_121518.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Back to back OTs? And to top it off a 3rd round center after we just signed one in FA? No sir. 

20200415_121518.jpg

Yes sir, I just drafted us book-end tackles for the next 5+ years as well as a center who can immediately fill in at guard or move McGovern back to his stronger position of guard. Fant/Edoga are nice backups to have but I really don't want to rely on them as starters. 

It all starts in the trenches and we've ignored the o-line for far too long in the draft.  

I do like your draft though.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Problem is only 1/4 is a "lock" to be an effective LT:  Thomas.  The rest are question marks in that area.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peebag said:

There were rumored trade partners to move up to 3.  Macc just wasn't willing to take 75 cents on the dollar.  He should have.  

At some point, in 5 drafts, you have to be able to trade down here and there.  Failing to do so is on the GM, not a lack of trade partners.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yes sir, I just drafted us book-end tackles for the next 5+ years as well as a center who can immediately fill in at guard or move McGovern back to his stronger position of guard. Fant/Edoga are nice backups to have but I really don't want to rely on them as starters. 

It all starts in the trenches and we've ignored the o-line for far too long in the draft.  

Different perspectives is all it is lol. 

I guess I dont view Niang as an elite tackle, but he is very similar to Wanogho, so I felt comfortable waiting for another lineman. And to me the WR class is deep but I dont think deep enough to wait 4 picks in to select at least one. 

At least we agree on a 6th round kicker lol. 

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

20200415_121518.jpg

Nice pick of Montez BTW.  First I've heard about him in ages.  But if your going to chance on a late round backup then he's as probably a good a shot as anybody.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would love this draft. I think we are definitely going to move McGovern to guard and draft a center. This team’s line has been great when we’ve had guys like Kevin M or Nick M at center.  Love the Bryce H pick and McFarland!  There is no way we are going to be able to fill every hole this year. So completely fixing the line this year and adding a couple of offensive weapons seems like a good plan to me. Next year focus more on specialty positions.  In this draft we wouldn’t have to address the OL for years, and could spend the next few years adding weapons on Offense and Defense.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I also think we sign Peters or Trent Williams to a one or two year deal in this draft scenario

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol so now you only want Thomas at 11?

No.  I'm just saying we can't 100 % count on any of those other 3 becoming LT's.  A couple may end up RT's or a G.  I still would probably like to draft any of the 4 just to see.  Thomas and Wirfs are my top 2 choices.  Then Wills and Becton.

If any of them were locks to become elite franchise LT's, none of them would fall to 11.  

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Today's mock w/this trade. I have Wills as my #1 OT, would absolutely love this.

041520mock.png.ad4cddbf5c986ed717b1777b4e25efd1.png

041520mock.2.png.6bb9deedece019ec6766bd63ee38605b.png

I like it and I like both Claypool and Van Jefferson, but I'd want a better pair of WRs in this scenario.  If Claypool was the second WR the Jets took I'd be much more comfortable here.  If the Jets go OT first then I want one of those 2nd Tier WRs (J. Jefferson, Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Aiyuk, maybe Reagor)....and then Claypool.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  I'm just saying we can't 100 % count on any of those other 3 becoming LT's.  A couple may end up RT's or a G.  I still would probably like to draft any of the 4 just to see.  Thomas and Wirfs are my top 2 choices.  Then Wills and Becton.

If any of them were locks to become elite franchise LT's, none of them would fall to 11.  

Well all the scouts and analysis say these are the best tackles to come out in the draft in quite some time. I’ll take my chances with any of the 4 if becoming a LT. 

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The key question to me isn't who the Jets might trade with (be it SF, Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, etc.) but who is the TARGET that these teams want.

At this point it almost feels inevitable that one or even two key players could slip to #11.  Perhaps that's a Top 5 defender like Okudah, Simmons or Brown.  Or, maybe it's a QB like Tua or Herbert.  There will be a guy who some team in the teens or early 20's is absolutely infatuated with and tries to trade up for.  Again, either QB (because it's the most premium position) or an elite defender (because a team sees value in a guy they rated Top 5 in this Draft and now he's within reach at #11).