Jets X Factor: Breshad Perriman film review

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I don't know if it's a function of our inept WR corps, but some of you are placing far too much stock in Perriman. He's depth - with the hope that he can lift a lid or two along the way... WR4, and with a little luck, maybe even our WR3...  

We are without WR1 and WR2.... Crowder falls under the safety blanket / dirty work job and is best served as our #3 in the slot. 

A proper draft should place Perriman in that WR4 role.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

A proper draft should place Perriman in that WR4 role.  

Another reason why they didn’t want to pay Anderson.  There is a good chance they’re taking lamb or ruggs, and adding another wr.  Perriman is good for which the new role the Anderson slot is intended.  

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody said the sky is falling, but the team, particularly the offense hasn’t gotten better and our hands are pretty tied in the draft.  Too many holes that basically HAVE to be filled in the draft.

And yes, if you’re impartial you simply can’t look at the situation the Jets are in and think it’s been a successful off season to date.  The worst offense in the league lost their best weapon and mostly signed back-up OLinemen to replace their old backup Olinmen

I said, it can change - and certainly hope it does.  There are still some quality players out there and he can nail the draft.  Just right now, I am concerned about the talen on the offense.

New regime trying to catch up on a decade worth of bad drafting.  Outside of the top tier,receivers are mostly interchangeable and I dont blame the Jets for drawing a line in the sand on Anderson. I actually think Berrios can become a good receiver. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Another reason why they didn’t want to pay Anderson.  There is a good chance they’re taking lamb or ruggs, and adding another wr.  Perriman is good for which the new role the Anderson slot is intended.  

I can’t imagine not taking multiple WRs in the first 2 days of this draft.   At least Perriman can be just another guy at WR while the rookies get their feet wet.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I can’t imagine not taking multiple WRs in the first 2 days of this draft.   At least Perriman can be just another guy at WR while the rookies get their feet wet.  

I think douglas realizes that darnold needs a #1 wr and that lamb can be that guy.  I think he’s better than jeudy.  I also think they would consider taking ruggs at 11.  Pairing ruggs with a wr in the 3rd round fixes the skill positions and they would still draft a rb on day 3.  So i don’t think they wanted a lot of money tied up in Anderson, but if he stayed for a modest price they would have kept him.  I do think the jets stay at 11 and get either lamb, ruggs or Thomas.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait, what?

People have been praising the guy.  

1) Saved us from the big bad Robby Anderson.  

2) He’s a steel at that price.

3) He’s a rising star.  

4) Gase will get the best out of him.  

5) His numbers were only bad because he was on a good team (yes people had the nerve to use that one)

And many more...

Forgive m if I don’t list all of the praise this move has gotten and just consolidate it one word for expedience sake.

If you loved the signing good for you, for me it was a major drop in talent - and once again the vast majority of this fan base refuse to see it for what it is.  Trying to convince yourselves that his good 5 games after 3 and 3/4 years of bust play somehow make JD super smart for letting our best offense weapon go over $3mm...

One more time for you and those who agreed with you.  You said people called him "our savior".  One more time find the posts where hes been called "our savior".  Maybe someone who agreed with you can help you out.  

How many posts claiming #2-#5 can you find?  One of each, maybe?  Thats not this fanbase thinks scenarios. #1 might be very true.  Robby and Perriman seem like similar enough players because in reality Robby really is an easily replaceable player.  The kind of WR that pretty much every team in the NFL has on their roster.

Its exactly like your posts claiming lots of fans were calling J Douglas a genius.

Also a claim you couldn't back easily with a copy and paste.

I get your pessimism, the over the top claims to back it needs to be dialed back a bit

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody said the sky is falling, but the team, particularly the offense hasn’t gotten better and our hands are pretty tied in the draft.  Too many holes that basically HAVE to be filled in the draft.

Yeah, that would be drafting of OL & WR, pretty much what we will concentrate on.  Hands are tied, I could say that about lots of teams, what exactly does that mean, that we can't help the offense through the draft?  

Yeah, again not negative, the sky isnt falling, its just a constant black cloud in your posts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Robby Anderson wasn't our savior either, bub.  

No, but he’s pretty good and still developing. Past year started running a more regular route tree - WRs do in their sleep - over the middle, counted on for a decent slant on 3rd down. Sticky hands, can take a pop.
a Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb, any of the OTs - all would benefit from RA still a main function of the offense. 

23 minutes ago, Vader said:

No, but he’s pretty good and still developing. Past year started running a more regular route tree - WRs do in their sleep - over the middle, counted on for a decent slant on 3rd down. Sticky hands, can take a pop.
a Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb, any of the OTs - all would benefit from RA still a main function of the offense. 

And sucked at it.  Nevermind the fact that every single time he wasn't the primary target, he dogged the route, telling the defense that he wasn't getting the ball.  His catch rate of 54% also says that he wasn't as sure handed as you thought he was, nor could he take a pop.

Lastly, Perriman is the same age as Robby, and unlike Robby, was improving every year since being traded.  For half the cost, I don't see why a drafted wide receiver couldn't benefit from Perriman either.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I haven't seen a single person say that they expect him to come in and be a #1 wideout.  I don't get what expectations there are to temper because, quite frankly, I haven't seen anyone knowledgeable come here and say that we just got TO in his prime for 6 million dollars.  It's pretty much been: "Oh cool, we gave a guy with Robby's skillset half the money Robby got and maybe he duplicates what we were already getting from Robby (which wasn't much) for half the cost".

Nothing more.  Nothing less.

?

So the kid can’t run a route correctly - I would have to blame that on coaching unless he has rocks in his head - which is possible I guess. I also don’t think Crab Legs is the most accurate passer or decision maker around based on his INTs. Let’s just hope for the best here and the worst isn’t like we r stuck with him for 5 years. 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

So the kid can’t run a route correctly - I would have to blame that on coaching unless he has rocks in his head - which is possible I guess. I also don’t think Crab Legs is the most accurate passer or decision maker around based on his INTs. Let’s just hope for the best here and the worst isn’t like we r stuck with him for 5 years. 

What's this?

Coaching you say?

You mean aside from robbie digging it and having a generally  replaceable  skillser, that he also could have been suffering  from poor coaching?

Not possible lord fancy pants Gase was out coach. Not possible  I say.

Here here

I hope he breaks out but I'm not optimistic. If you're getting even money, almost everyone would bet against a Perriman breakout (if you'd bet on Perriman, PM me!). Very similar player to Devante Parker who -- like several Fins offensive players -- had to wait for Gase to leave town to enjoy a break out.

The first sentence of the new Perriman article on NFL.com sums up both my hope and my skepticism perfectly:

"Breshad Perriman is entering his fifth season, for his fourth team, and he's got three big games to show for it. They also happen to be his last three games"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108382/article/breshad-perriman-bucs-finish-a-sneak-peek-for-jets

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

if dude had RAs skillset he'd have as many catches and Tds....  as is, its about 50%....

When has Perriman had as many targets as Robby Anderson? Perriman can stretch the defense like Robby & unlike Robby, he can catch a slant & break an arm tackle. 

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m so glad to see someone not trying to sugarcoat this offseason.

It hasn’t been good.  No impartial, knowledgeable person can see it otherwise.

Glad you think we are all idiots since we don’t agree with your gloom and doom

what do you see this years won loss total at since “we are worse than last year” and playing a much tougher schedule?

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I hope he breaks out but I'm not optimistic. If you're getting even money, almost everyone would bet against a Perriman breakout (if you'd bet on Perriman, PM me!). Very similar player to Devante Parker who -- like several Fins offensive players -- had to wait for Gase to leave town to enjoy a break out.

The first sentence of the new Perriman article on NFL.com sums up both my hope and my skepticism perfectly:

"Breshad Perriman is entering his fifth season, for his fourth team, and he's got three big games to show for it. They also happen to be his last three games"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108382/article/breshad-perriman-bucs-finish-a-sneak-peek-for-jets

What kind of bet are you thinking?  You think Anderson will have more receptions than Perriman this year?

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

if dude had RAs skillset he'd have as many catches and Tds....  as is, its about 50%....

And that's the fact of the matter. Add to the fact that Robby established his stats while going up against the opponent's best corner, and probably would have produced better stats had the Jets had an actual #1 and Anderson was in his rightful position at Wideout #2. With that said, Perriman has produced a fraction of Anderson's stats and he didnt accumulate them going up against the opponent's best corners. 

Reading comments from some folks is like If I didnt know any better I would have thought that Anderson was some lazy bum who has attitude problems and constantly gives up on plays. Though the truth is that Robby was an Undrafted Rookie Free Agent who fought and clawed his way to a roster spot and eventually became the #1 WR of the team, and then stayed at the #1 WR for his 4 seasons in a Jets uniform. Then his old college coach (who knows his tendencies and attitude) decided to sign him to a nice contract. How's that lazy and problematic? 

He has attitude problems yet you seem not to be able to find anyone in the Jets building with any bad words to say about the man and his old head coach just signed him. Nothing here adds up with this narrative that Jets fans have. It reminds me of what they do with Jamal Adams. 

Guys like @FidelioJet are simply stating what should be the obvious, yet folks went completely overboard trying discredit what Anderson has done as a Jet while at the same time saying how it's so easy for Perriman to replace Anderson, yet his career doesn't reflect that at all. 

So with that, it's great to temper expectations regarding Perriman. Perriman has potential, but at this point folks are a bit concerned that he's the best Wideout on the team yet has only proven to be an underachieving role player throughout his career. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Vader said:

His route running is terrible-to-inconsistent. His speed is irrelevant if he can’t plant and cut properly and consistently. You don’t run a slant by trying to plant the inside foot...or whatever he’s trying to do sometimes.

His body and frame may be too big to allow his speed to transfer into the NFL on anything but routes that don’t require real change of direction.

Don’t get too excited. His success will depend solely on how he is fit into the offense and if he can develop trust with Darnold. There is no way to tell.

he's got a one year prove it contract.  if the jets draft a wr fairly high then he will most likely be a placeholder unless he finally plays the position better.  imo at this stage he's mainly a deep threat and he has the speed to get behind the coverage.

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

When has Perriman had as many targets as Robby Anderson? Perriman can stretch the defense like Robby & unlike Robby, he can catch a slant & break an arm tackle. 

Riddle me this. For a Wideout who can do "so many things", why is he on his 4th team in 5 years? And why did Robby get signed before Perriman? Mind you, he wasnt some Undrafted Rookie Free Agent like Robby was. It's extremely difficult to solidify a career and earn a nice contract based on how Anderson did it. Perriman was a 1st round pick and all he's done is get released and passed to the next team. 

You guys are exaggerating reality and extrapolating his last 5 games while disrespecting the career of the only homegrown WR we've had on this team since Jerricho Cotchery. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

What kind of bet are you thinking?  You think Anderson will have more receptions than Perriman this year?

It's a good question. I don't know. Some thoughts:

1. Anderson not a good measure next year as the Carolina offense has a lot of good mouths to feed. Perriman will almost certainly get a larger opportunity share than Anderson, rendering it an apples-to-oranges comparison.

2. Perriman averaged 116 yards the last three weeks of the 2019 season. Obviously not sustainable for even elite players.

3. The player who reminds me most of Perriman (Parker) was largely considered a bust until 2019, his first year after Gase. Under Gase, his best year: 56 catches, 744 yrds, 4 TDs (15 games). This would be about 60/794/4 over 16 games. That's basically my expectation for Perriman in 2020, except maybe a couple more TDs as I expect the running game for the Jets to be worse than the 2016 Fins' (Ajayi ran for 1272/8) so probably more fades/jump balls when near goal line for 2020 Jets. I guess that's a long way of saying that I think Perriman's raw numbers will look OK based on huge opportunity share but he will be one of the least efficient starting WRs in the NFL. My expectation is roughly 60/800/6, largely driven by huge volume. EDIT: which is basically Robbie's numbers from last year, although he had to deal with Luke Falk for 3 games.

I don’t see the point in comparing these two guys.  Perriman was brought in to be a vertical deep threat, not the #1 wr on a team with terrible options.  The jets are going to draft wrs, perhaps even in the first round.  Perriman fills a role, good value for the price, nothing more.  If the jets draft lamb or ruggs, that’s who you compare to Anderson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

3 and 3/4 years as a bust and the. 5 good games and he’s our savior. 

OR....He is a guy to try at an affordable contract to see what he might have, while WR's who are not even on the team yet as they haven't been drafted, develop.

If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Riddle me this. For a Wideout who can do "so many things", why is he on his 4th team in 5 years? And why did Robby get signed before Perriman? Mind you, he wasnt some Undrafted Rookie Free Agent like Robby was. It's extremely difficult to solidify a career and earn a nice contract based on how Anderson did it. Perriman was a 1st round pick and all he's done is get released and passed to the next team. 

You guys are exaggerating reality and extrapolating his last 5 games while disrespecting the career of the only homegrown WR we've had on this team since Jerricho Cotchery. 

Thats as unimportant to me as asking why was Robby undrafted or why was Perriman taken in the 1st round.  

If he comes in, shows some game and catches balls thrown his way that's all I care about not why some other team gave up on him, cut him our traded him.  Its also important to remember that hes not expected to be a #1.  Just like Robby 

Jets threw the ball 493 times last year. Targets to replace are Anderson (96), Montgomery (17), Powell (12), and maybe Thomas (59). Rest of the offense is back. Likely more Herndon targets (2 last year) and the backup RB situation is yet to be addressed.

Upgrades are absolutely needed - but people are acting like 2/3 of the passing game went out the window. Crowder got 25% of the targets last year. Bell 16%. Anderson had almost 100, around 20%. Perriman in Tampa in a smaller role had almost 70. Herndon comes back. There’s the draft.

This is by no means ideal but if Perriman replaces part of Anderson’s field stretching function while not blocking rookies if they’re ready to go, it’s not a stretch to say it’s reasonable short term and long-term. Still hope they draft two. 

I think when people look at the roster 1) Crowder gets labeled a #3 because he’s a slot when he’s really just a small slot #2 possession guy so 2) one of the outside guys is going to be a “#2“ but really he’s a low volume field stretcher to open stuff up underneath for the backs, tight ends, and Crowder and so 3) they’re trying to add #1 and #2 outside receivers to fill perceived needs when in reality a legit #1 outside guy would be nice but the #3 wide receiver was 59 target to date unsigned Demaryius Thomas last year and Robby Anderson was somewhere in between the #1 WR the Jets could use but wasn’t really available to acquire and the #3 field stretcher that Perriman is fine being in this offense if he is what he was last year for Tampa.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

3 and 3/4 years as a bust and the. 5 good games and he’s our savior. 

The numbers would certainly back you up. I can only say that the thinking here is that we know the talent is absolutely there and capability as well. The question is can he be reached and can he fix some of his bad tendencies. I think that if he can find the motivation to not only repeat his last 5 games, but improve on them, he can be something special...or, he will continue to be a bust. 

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats as unimportant to me as asking why was Robby undrafted or why was Perriman taken in the 1st round.  

If he comes in, shows some game and catches balls thrown his way that's all I care about not why some other team gave up on him, cut him our traded him.  Its also important to remember that hes not expected to be a #1.  Just like Robby 

The difference is Perriman was expected to be a #1 given his 1st round grade. He's never even been a starter outside of injuries to actual starters. 

No one expected Robby to be a #1 or a #2, yet he's been the #1 his entire career and will be the #2 for a team who signed him to play that starting role. 

But I guess a 1st round draft pick who's accomplished being a backup on his prior teams is unimportant when we have "if" statements. C'mon Jet Nut. We both know better than that. Perriman's a depth player until proven otherwise. 

There was no "if" with Robby Anderson. It was clear that the man wasnt a true #1 but was clearly starting material. Can you honestly say the same for Perriman, or is that unimportant? 

Serious question. 

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait, what?

People have been praising the guy.  

1) Saved us from the big bad Robby Anderson.  

2) He’s a steel at that price.

3) He’s a rising star.  

4) Gase will get the best out of him.  

5) His numbers were only bad because he was on a good team (yes people had the nerve to use that one)

And many more...

Forgive m if I don’t list all of the praise this move has gotten and just consolidate it one word for expedience sake.

If you loved the signing good for you, for me it was a major drop in talent - and once again the vast majority of this fan base refuse to see it for what it is.  Trying to convince yourselves that his good 5 games after 3 and 3/4 years of bust play somehow make JD super smart for letting our best offense weapon go over $3mm...

Rather than creating strawmen, why not quote the people saying these things? I'd like to see the people referring to him as a savior, too. That would be fun. 

I wanted Robby back. A lot of people here didn't, and didn't care who replaced him. They just didn't like the guy either because of his off field stuff or the (unjustified, IMO) opinion that he was soft because of his lean frame. I think that's coloring a lot of the comments. 

As far as I'm concerned, Perriman's a band-aid. A guy to sprint downfield and keep the safeties honest. His last four games don't make him a great receiver, just like the Jets' 6-2 finish didn't make them a great team. I expect the Jets to draft one WR in the first two rounds, and then another by the fourth. It's all about the draft for Joe Douglas and these Jets. If Perriman plays well, maybe he'll get extended and we'll have a decent depth guy who really has been on a slow upswing. Who knows? Most likely he's a place-holder while the rookies get up to speed, if he can hold a place that long, and then he's off to his next team next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's a good question. I don't know. Some thoughts:

1. Anderson not a good measure next year as the Carolina offense has a lot of good mouths to feed. Perriman will almost certainly get a larger opportunity share than Anderson, rendering it an apples-to-oranges comparison.

2. Perriman averaged 116 yards the last three weeks of the 2019 season. Obviously not sustainable for even elite players.

3. The player who reminds me most of Perriman (Parker) was largely considered a bust until 2019, his first year after Gase. Under Gase, his best year: 56 catches, 744 yrds, 4 TDs (15 games). This would be about 60/794/4 over 16 games. That's basically my expectation for Perriman in 2020, except maybe a couple more TDs as I expect the running game for the Jets to be worse than the 2016 Fins' (Ajayi ran for 1272/8) so probably more fades/jump balls when near goal line for 2020 Jets. I guess that's a long way of saying that I think Perriman's raw numbers will look OK based on huge opportunity share but he will be one of the least efficient starting WRs in the NFL. My expectation is roughly 60/800/6, largely driven by huge volume. EDIT: which is basically Robbie's numbers from last year, although he had to deal with Luke Falk for 3 games.

so basically youre saying that your expectation for Perriman is similar to what Anderson put up last year but youre complaining we didnt sign Anderson for quite a bit more?  How much more are you willing to pay for any small incremental improvement?  Do you agree that there is a chance that Perriman could bloom and actually be better than Anderson if featured in the offense, whereas he was the third receiver in Tampa?

Youre saying that Gase is the reason that Parker didnt play well, but is Gase the reason that Anderson did play well enough to get a 20 million dollar contract?  Or did he do it despite Gase?  If so, wont he really shine in Carolina's offense?  Maybe 80 receptions and 1200 yards?