Jets X Factor: Breshad Perriman film review

Patriot Killa

9 hours ago, jgb said:

I’m optimistic about some aspects of the Jets. Perriman isn’t one of them. Too much data out there on him.

Fine, I feel the opposite but then again, I am expecting us to add least one if not two starter level wide outs and perhaps a developmental one in this draft.  Perriman has shown growth over the last few years and for the money, is worth the risk.   

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Fine, I feel the opposite but then again, I am expecting us to add least one if not two starter level wide outs and perhaps a developmental one in this draft.  Perriman has shown growth over the last few years and for the money, is worth the risk.   

I really hope you’re right. Perriman has all the physical skills.

• Upvote 1

If one looks at Perriman's film, it's great

the problem is he's RARELY healthy 

he's on his 4th team in 5 seasons

like a sports car always on the lift, what's the value in that? 

the most important ability in the NFL is availability 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sorry but Sam Darnold playing behind a makeshift O-Line and historically speaking atrocious offensive lineman (with a lack of WR options) but yet still going 163/267 (61.0%), 1,947 Passing Yards, 13 TD's/4 INT"s (2 Rushing TD's) and a QB Rating of 93.3! (6-2 record) oy confirmed what I already knew about him (kid is a fighter). 

During our last 8 games just goes to show how special this kid truly is. Not many QB's could put up those types of statistical production under those horrific passing situations; and to think week one of 2018 on MNF @ Detroit - became the youngest NFL Starting QB of All-Time (heading into week 1). 

Darnold is special. Almost all of us wanted him for a reason and wanted him before he ever took a single snap as a Jet!! 

Suck for Sam was a real thing for us Jet fans as we were stuck with Fitzpatrick and McCown. 

I am glad some people see a lot more cause for optimism in Sam than I do and I really hope their optimism is well-founded and produces results, not excuses for another mediocre year from Sam.

• Confused 2

On 4/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, Mogglez said:

Robby was an overrated bum, with a bad attitude and effort issues, who regularly checked out of games and plays where he wasn't the primary option.  He also had sh*tty route running, regressed from his best season, and his only concern was getting money.  Could he grow the f*ck up and change?  Maybe.  That being said, I'm not blaming Douglas one bit for deciding to not find that out for anything more than a 1 year 10 million dollars.  Breshad Perriman had a good run in Cleveland when given the opportunity to play, and a great run in Tampa when called upon.  He may have started at the bottom in terms of proving himself, but unlike Robby he's been improving.  Sometimes that's what happens with players.  Especially raw ones like Perriman.  The Jets decided to take a gamble on that for, literally, half the cost of Robby.  Given their production from last year is all you can go on, that's a successful off-season move.

Conklin was basically the same thing.  Career underachiever, who has issues staying healthy, who received more help in pass protection than any qaulifying OT, and who commanded a decent sized contract that he, likely, won't live up to.  You don't give away money for the sake of blowing through it.  That's what Maccagnan did and look at where it got us.

There is still the draft to upgrade both OL and WR.  This was never going to be a one year rebuild.  This is what happens when you leave an incompetent a**hole like Maccagnan in charge for way too long.  The only knowledgeable and impartial people here are the people who understand all of what I just wrote and can see that there is way more than meets the eye to the decisions that have been made so far, and that it hasn't been as bad as the doom and gloomers make it out to be.

I like the one year contract too with Perriman. Perform or be gone. JD seems like he will be building through the draft and he might pick up another player or 2 before that. I’m good with that. It looks like he has a plan.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I am glad some people see a lot more cause for optimism in Sam than I do and I really hope their optimism is well-founded and produces results, not excuses for another mediocre year from Sam.

Have you watched any Football over the previous two season's man? I'm just playing around but come on man have you not noticed Sam playing behind the 32nd rated dead last place O-Line?

Not an excuse but rather factual. 

His O-Lineman are who got his GM Maccagnan fired and replaced by a former offensive lineman in Joe Douglas himself. 

As a kid I always hated the game 'connect the dots' as it were too easy to solve (too obvious). Same situation here...

Sam is special and untouchable. I'm not trading him for an entire draft (New Orleans for Ricky Williams). Never. 

• Thumb Down 1

Two mediocre WR.  We vastly upgraded the talent and vastly downgraded the production.  Neither Robbie or Perriman are more than situational WR at this point in their career.  Perriman clearly has more talent, Robbie has clearly outproduced him.  We still need to draft a true No. 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Have you watched any Football over the previous two season's man? I'm just playing around but come on man have you not noticed Sam playing behind the 32nd rated dead last place O-Line?

His O-Lineman are who got his GM Maccagnan fired and replaced by a former offensive lineman in Joe Douglas himself. 

As a kid I always hated the game 'connect the dots' as it were too easy to solve (too obvious). Same situation here...

Sam is special and untouchable. I'm not trading him for an entire draft (New Orleans for Ricky Williams). Never. 

You just lost the debate with the “do you even watch, bro?” infantile and thoughtless retort. Good day.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

If one looks at Perriman's film, it's great

the problem is he's RARELY healthy 

he's on his 4th team in 5 seasons

like a sports car always on the lift, what's the value in that? 

the most important ability in the NFL is availability 

That’s been Perriman’s biggest issue he’s an egg

Which is why I wouldn’t mind Jeudy at 11 even though our OL sux

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 4:16 AM, Philc1 said:

Yes I agree Sam has a better season last year with nowhere near as good a supporting cast

And the carousel of excuses keeps on spinning. Can't be Sam's fault. Supporting cast! Can't be supporting cast's fault. Gase! Can't be Gase's fault. OL! Can't be OL's fault. Big Macc!

I'm a simpleton. I judge by results. You can't project hope to performance. This fan base falls into this trap every time with young QBs.

• Like 1

If we get a guy who could be the primary target, we would have a good group with Crowder as the 2 and Perriman as the 3rd option. And guys like Doctson and Smith as backups. Especially if Herndon plays more like he did his rookie year. Perriman stretches the field. That’s all I’m hoping for. Something like 40 catches for 600-700 yards. 

This has been the case for some time, but guys are always over slotted on our team. Robby as a #2 is ideal. He’ll be fine in Carolina.

And the carousel of excuses keeps on spinning. Can't be Sam's fault. Supporting cast! Can't be supporting cast's fault. Gase! Can't be Gase's fault. OL! Can't be OL's fault. Big Macc!

I'm a simpleton. I judge by results. You can't project hope to performance. This fan base falls into this trap every time with young QBs.

Most accurate post in a decade on this board.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Like 1

Sam has to prove his worth this year ...it cannot be questionable or disputable ... Otherwise competition needs to make an appearance.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, Paradis said:

I don't know if it's a function of our inept WR corps, but some of you are placing far too much stock in Perriman. He's depth - with the hope that he can lift a lid or two along the way... WR4, and with a little luck, maybe even our WR3...  

We are without WR1 and WR2.... Crowder falls under the safety blanket / dirty work job and is best served as our #3 in the slot. 

I agree with this. The only thing I would add is that Perriman still does have upside. If he can remain healthy for an entire season on the field he's good for 40-50 catches a year with some of those being bombs. I like having him and that we nabbed him a few hours after Robby left. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

emoji43.png Sam has to prove his worth this year ...it cannot be questionable or disputable ... Otherwise competition needs to make an appearance.

How miserable we will all be if Sam doesn't make a leap this year. I would still like a competent vet waiting behind Sam this year. If he's truly great, that wouldn't bother or demotivate him at all.

Hopefully once the music stops and some of the available QBs realize there aren't enough starting chairs for all of them we can get a guy like Dalton as QB2 and then draft a project rounds 4 or 5 to develop.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 3:09 PM, jgb said:

You just lost the debate with the “do you even watch, bro?” infantile and thoughtless retort. Good day.

Serious question: do you see a lot of Jet games? All of them? I know you’ve been living abroad a few years now. 

Seems like Sam’s more vocal critics here tend to live outside the local market. So I’m curious. I get that his numbers haven’t been good, but I’ve also seen the talent he has and complete lack of help he’s  gotten from the rest of the organization. 

Just now, slats said:

Serious question: do you see a lot of Jet games? All of them? I know you’ve been living abroad a few years now. 

Seems like Sam’s more vocal critics here tend to live outside the local market. So I’m curious. I get that his numbers haven’t been good, but I’ve also seen the talent he has and complete lack of help he’s  gotten from the rest of the organization. 

All, although usually I watch the condensed version the next day on NFL.com. It has all the game action but cuts out all the breaks and stuff. A full game in 40 minutes or so.

• Upvote 2

I live in Bergen county New Jersey... And I've seen every single Jets game for the past 20 years... Sam has shown flashes of greatness but at the same time he's shown absolutely abhorrent mechanics and decision-making. He needs to step up this year... his third year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I live in Bergen county New Jersey... And I've seen every single Jets game for the past 20 years... Sam has shown flashes of greatness but at the same time he's shown absolutely abhorrent mechanics and decision-making. He needs to step up this year... his third year.

This is basically where I am and, in my view, a stronger case that Darnold can fix his mechanics/decision-making and become what we all want him to be than the argument "yeah well his supporting cast stinks."

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

All, although usually I watch the condensed version the next day on NFL.com. It has all the game action but cuts out all the breaks and stuff. A full game in 40 minutes or so.

For free? I moved to Mexico after the season and will be looking for some non-bar solutions to watch next year. 

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

(Excuse alert!) 

I think a lot of the mechanical issues stem from always being under pressure, leading to a return to bad habits. And last year, coming off of mono, he was probably dealing with some genuine fatigue those first few weeks back, too. 

100% agree that he has to get better. But you look at the Jets pathetic offense without him in the lineup, and you get a good idea of the crap with which he’s had to work. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

For free? I moved to Mexico after the season and will be looking for some non-bar solutions to watch next year. 

(Excuse alert!) 

I think a lot of the mechanical issues stem from always being under pressure, leading to a return to bad habits. And last year, coming off of mono, he was probably dealing with some genuine fatigue those first few weeks back, too. 

100% agree that he has to get better. But you look at the Jets pathetic offense without him in the lineup, and you get a good idea of the crap with which he’s had to work. 

I have NFL game pass.

On your second point, allow me to horn in, comparing the Darnold-led-Jets versus the Falk-led-Jets only tells us that Darnold is definitely not incompetent. Look I think he's going to improve, maybe even to the point where he's a top 10 player at the position, but I don't think what we have seen thus far empirically supports that in a convincing way. On the flipside, it doesn't support the opposite: that he is a bust. I think the ceiling remains high and the floor remains low. We still don't know what he is which is an indictment of both Bowles and Gase to an extent. My original bookends were Sanchez-downside, Romo-upside. Although after reviewing in depth today both Sanchez and Darnold stats for their first two years, that floor is going up.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is basically where I am and, in my view, a stronger case that Darnold can fix his mechanics/decision-making and become what we all want him to be than the argument "yeah well his supporting cast stinks."

It's somewhere in the middle I think. Last year I almost have to throw out, I don't like saying that but idk how we can get an accurate view on Sam last year. ~$80m on IR, might have been the worst OL we've ever had, and the kid had Mono.

I know Sam is a professional athlete but mono hangs with you for months. I really think we didn't see any RPOs last year because they wanted to protect Sam's body.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's somewhere in the middle I think. Last year I almost have to throw out, I don't like saying that but idk how we can get an accurate view on Sam last year. ~$80m on IR, might have been the worst OL we've ever had, and the kid had Mono.

I know Sam is a professional athlete but mono hangs with you for months. I really think we didn't see any RPOs last year because they wanted to protect Sam's body.

And yet he still improved, which is obviously a positive sign. I can live with Sam either making the leap or not. The worst case scenario is that we are spending 2020 offseason again debating how we still don't know what he is. Can't continue like this forever.

• Upvote 2

On 4/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Biggs said:

Two mediocre WR.  We vastly upgraded the talent and vastly downgraded the production.  Neither Robbie or Perriman are more than situational WR at this point in their career.  Perriman clearly has more talent, Robbie has clearly outproduced him.  We still need to draft a true No. 1.

If we get the last 5 games of 2019 Perriman, he is not a situational WR...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

emoji43.png Sam has to prove his worth this year ...it cannot be questionable or disputable ... Otherwise competition needs to make an appearance.

Agree. This is why every single pick this year should be offense. We can’t leave 2020 without knowing for sure Sam is the guy. If we go WR at 11, great. Go OL with at least 2 of the next 3 picks. Or vice versa. And keep adding bodies to the offense on day 3.

Almost as important is we can’t leave 2020 without knowing Gase is the guy as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

And yet he still improved, which is obviously a positive sign. I can live with Sam either making the leap or not. The worst case scenario is that we are spending 2020 offseason again debating how we still don't know what he is. Can't continue like this forever.

Yea that's my thought. Anyone who doubts Sam should be 100% on board with dumping all our assets into supporting him because if we decide to pull the plug on him we will have a perfect supporting cast for whatever new QB may come in.

I 100% believe in Sam though, it's just frustrating not to have the stats to back up what I appear to be seeing haha

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea that's my thought. Anyone who doubts Sam should be 100% on board with dumping all our assets into supporting him because if we decide to pull the plug on him we will have a perfect supporting cast for whatever new QB may come in.

I 100% believe in Sam though, it's just frustrating not to have the stats to back up what I appear to be seeing haha

2020 is the year perception and reality much converge or be thrown apart forever.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

How miserable we will all be if Sam doesn't make a leap this year. I would still like a competent vet waiting behind Sam this year. If he's truly great, that wouldn't bother or demotivate him at all.

Hopefully once the music stops and some of the available QBs realize there aren't enough starting chairs for all of them we can get a guy like Dalton as QB2 and then draft a project rounds 4 or 5 to develop.

I wanted Case Keenum. The best of the bunch for a reserve QB imo. But alas.. he's a brownie. 

matt Moore

Drew Stanton

Colt McCoy

Mike Glennon

All still available with our boy Siemien and the starter hopefuls Flacco, newton, Winston, Bortles.

Oh... and McCown. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

If it were a larger sample size we wouldn't have signed him for $6 mil.  Seems like a decent risk/reward for a year.  Just have to wait and see what happens...

Risk/reward is right. Just seems many prefer to highlight the reward and downplay the risk. Guess that's why people play PowerBall. :)

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Last year Sam threw 19tds to 13 Ints with a 62% completion percentage 

Aren’t you busy blaming Kitchens for Baker Mayfield sucking a c0ck in the other thread?