My Top Running Backs Evaluation For The 2020 NFL Draft

Hello Jet Fans Again,

We are now going to talk about the position that doesn't last long in the NFL. We seen how QB'S are now exceeding 15 years but the running backs has a different faith. But because this has changed with so much passing, the running backs careers should last a lot longer. Especially if they don't put their heads into blocking. But we know there are a lot more substituting to get them out and to either put a TE, HB, or another receiver in a formation. Again it is unfortunate that we didn't get to either watch or learn what happen at certain players Pro Days. I really wanted to see what J.K. Robbins and Michael Warren did in their Pro Day's. So because of this you just need to just watch more tape. 

So before I start to give these RB'S evaluation I will explain the grade system I have. When I say a Top 3 grade I mean a player should be taken no longer than 3. Players in the past that I evaluated that had this grade was Billy Simms, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell and Adrian Peterson.  So again I have a top 7 grade, top 10 grade, mid round and late round grades.  There are no top 3 grade running backs in this draft.  But it is a deep draft of quality running backs. Now there was 25 running backs drafted in 2019 but 20 in 2018 but 26 in 2017. So I am going to evaluate my top 29, plus 1 out of the box selection. I really think 27 RBS may get drafted.  So here we go. But one point before I get to these players. I just can't come up with the clear best Running Back I seen this year. There are two running backs for me are as even as can be but have their own great qualities. So yes because of this I will give them a Tie for the best RB.

So I just want to make one more point since I am always going to bring up the forty time. The average forty time of an NFL running back is 4.49. 

1A.  JONATHAN TAYLOR - WISCONSIN   - This New Jersey born football running back has it all. He is powerful and breaks tackles and doesn't shy from gaining more yards after contact. I watched him a lot playing in the Big Ten and he is the real deal. He blocks and can catch the ball out of the backfield but his only question we had on him was his speed. And boom, he runs a 4.39 at the combine. Hello!!  That made him some money.  Look It is nearly impossible to get a top 3 grade in today's football.  But talent wise he comes close.  TOP 7 GRADE

1B.  J.K. DOBBINS  -  OHIO ST.  - For months I had this RB as the number 1 running back and than I watched Taylor run a 4.39. But Dobbins is no slouch when it comes to speed. It is reported that he runs around a 4.38 forty but he didn't do that at the combine. I would of loved to see or hear about his forty at his Pro Day. This is why Taylor is probably elevated as the number 1 RB in most peoples list. But when I look at this 5' 9" and 210 lb running back I see an image of Hall Of Fame Emmitt Smith of the Cowboys.  He sees that hole and bam he is gone !!  I could see him catching balls out of the backfield and with his speed and agility take it all the way.        TOP 7 GRADE

3. D'ANDRE SWIFT - GEORGIAEverybody's number 1 running back. I have him number 3 because he is really talented but where was the production like these two running backs I mentioned. Can we all agree that the Big Ten this year was a way better defensive league. I would say so. Look at D'Andre stats. He had 1200 yards in 196 carries. Some of his game splits against weaker defensive teams weren't impressive. And he had a really good offensive line. Also at the Combine I was expecting a really fast forty and he ran a nice 4.48. But it was not the 4.38 or lower which I read about he does run.  So yeah, I couldn't put him ahead of these other two. Now he may go to the Pro game and blow it up, or he could do what he did this year. We all know Jeremiah loves him.  But when motivated he is a special player.       MID TO LATE 1ST ROUND GRADE.  not because of his year he had but because of his potential.

Now these three for months my only First Round Grades I had was these three until I watched the Combine. I have to put him as a late first round grade. He was just that good with a so so offensive line. The player I am talking about. 

4. A.J. DILLON - BOSTON COLLEGE  -  He has jumped up for me. Yes I watched him run in a weaker league. But still he is a bruising running back. He is a bigger version of Jonathan Taylor. Taylor being 5' 11" and 220 lbs but Dillon is 6' 0"  and 250 lbs. Taylor ran a 4.39 forty and Dillon at that weight ran a 4.53 forty. For that weight that is an A+ for a running back. And vertical is 41 inches. OK!! And a broad jump of 131". End of Story. Dillon is also a wonderful blocker and an alright receiver. His game is right up the middle and can take the ball multiple times a game. Now we just watched Tennessee going far with Derrick Henry so this is a plus for A.J.. So yeah A.J. had a nice year, but imagine if he had a good offensive line. He had nearly 1700 yards in 318 attempts in 12 games which  is not shabby. Shabby that is fantastic. Plus, with 14 TDS and a 5.3 average.  LATE 1ST ROUND GRADE for this Punisher of a running back. And nobody is rating him this high. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Now there are many running backs in this draft that can be the next top 5 and around 2nd to early third round grades. Let's discuss the first. 

5.  CLYDE EDWARDS HELLAIRE - LSU -  How do you tackle this dynamo the question asks?  Not easy a defensive player answers. This is who he is. A Robert Newhouse clone, but probably better coming out of college. How many times did we watch this 5' 7" 209 lb bowling ball break tackles. Many. I really wanted him to run about a 4.50 forty at the combine but he ran a 4.60. But him jumping 39.5 in the vertical at 5' 7''was impressive. But speed is not his game.  It is getting lost in those slight holes and than breaking that tackle to get extra yards.  His 6.6 average per carry was impressive this year but him catching 55 passes out of the backfield was just as impressive if not more.      EARLY 2ND ROUND GRADE

6.  CAM AKERS - FLORIDA ST.  -  I would of wished to watch Cam play behind a line like either, Alabama, Georgia or LSU and see what kind of stats this excellent running back would of had.  He is another shifty runner and is really quick around the ends on a sweep. I  was so curious to see what this 5'10"  and 210 lb runner was going to run in his forty at the combine. And then he runs a 4.47 and a vertical of 35.5 inches. He cemented himself as a clear early 2nd round prospect. He is not a bad receiver and did have 30 receptions this year from just bad Quarterback play at Florida St.. Only weakness I seen sometimes is that he gave up on a play he seen was going no where.  But still EARLY 2ND ROUND GRADE

7.  ZACK MOSS -  UTAH  -  He is a Warrior. He never gives up on a run. This is a player who went to Utah to play and who as a top Florida player could of played for a eastern southern team. He has character but he has much talent. He is built since he is 5' 9" 1/2 and 223 lbs.. And because of this I felt his forty at the combine showed this. Running a 4.65 forty and a vertical of 33 dropped him a little. For some it didn't. Will he continue to keep this weight and just be that kind of runner or would he lose 10 to 15 lbs to gain speed. That is why I would of liked to see what he was at his Pro Day. He had a nice 6 yard average this year and was not a bad receiver out of the backfield. And that was because he would hit his tackler and drive him back a few yards.  A MID 2ND ROUND

8. DARRYNTON EVANS - APPALACHIAN ST. -  An explosive running back whose first step through the hole can be a TD. He is that fast with that first step. Watched a lot of tape on him and yes  the competition wasn't the top conferences but his talent is there. What I like about him is that he could do it all. He could catch balls out of the backfield and can take it for the distance. He also can return kick offs and again is dangerous. At 5' 10" and 203 lbs he ran a very fast 4.41 forty, and an explosive 125 inch long jump, and a 37" Vertical.  So he has all the tools athletically. He is shifty, beside fast and I see him as an everything RB in the NFL.   Only negative was against a SEC team, South Carolina, he only had  85 yards on 23 carries. Again no Running Back is going to be great if their offensive line is not competitive against a defensive line that features the likes of Javon Kinlaw, D.J. Wonnum and T.J. Brunson.     MID TO LATE 2ND ROUND GRADE

9.  ANTONIO GIBSON - MEMPHIS -  Now he is an interesting player. He was more of a running back in high school but was more of a receiver at Memphis this year. But most people agree he will be a running back in the NFL.  Not because he runs a slower time since he ran an impressive 4.39, and that would be one of the fastest times a running back ran in this combine, but because of his power and frame as a runner. At 6' 0" and near 230 lbs, he is the perfect running back. In fact, if he was a running back all year he would of been vying for the top 5 RBS in this draft.  Obviously he is a wonderful receiver and a good blocker. He was impressive at the Senior Bowl and he opened many eyes. He could be a riser when draft time comes.   He is the last of my 2nd round value running backs.  MID TO LATE 2ND ROUND GRADE 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------These 9 players are my Elite running backs in this draft. But like I said the draft is deep with runners. The next batch are wonderful players in their own right. So lets continue.  There are at least a half dozen running backs that I can go number 10. The ones that I am juggling and going back and forth are Eno Benjamin of Arizona, Joshua Kelly of UCLA, Michael Warren of Cincinnati, Lamicael Perrine of Florida, Anthony McFarland of Maryland, and Keshawn Vaughn of Vanderbilt.  This is really Apples and Oranges.  I loved Eno Benamin all year and Keshawn Vaughn for two years.  McFarland was the dark horse and watching Warren this year was a joy with his ferocious attitude not to go down from a tackle.  Perrine had a great Senior Bowl and Orange Bowl Game and Joshua Kelly has come on late in the year and also had a nice all star weekend.  So who do I choose. So go back to the tape.

10. KE' SHAWN VAUGHN - VANDERBILT -  Why he?  I went back and watched him against a tough Georgia defense and man half way through the tape I was really impressed. His combination of speed and power really impressed me and his quickness coming out of the backfield, and running in stride, after catching a swing pass was real nice. His blocking needs some work, but he just looks like he will impress at the next level. Just looking at his Combine numbers you also give a thumbs up to.  A 4.51 forty is nice at 5' 10" and 215 lbs.  I could see him maybe sneaking in the real late 2nd but more of an EARLY THIRD ROUND GRADE.

11. LA' MICAL PERINE  - FLORIDA  -  He really came on late this year. Why wasn't he more in the offense than he was like he was in the Orange Bowl falls on the head coach. Would you believe this player who had 138 yards on only 13 carries and 2 TDS in the Orange Bowl an the offensive MVP of the Senior Bowl having only a total of 19 carries in the last 4 games for Florida before the bowl game.  So I have to ask why?  He has nice size at 5' 11" and 218 lbs and he runs high with great leg action.  Now he doesn't have that real speed but I seen him turn it on in both the Orange Bowl and at the Senior Bowl. So I will believe he is more a 4.52 forty guy than what he ran at the combine which was 4.62.. Also he has nice soft hands and did catch 40 receptions for the gators.   EARLY TO MID 3RD ROUND GRADE

12.  JOSHUA KELLY -  UCLA -  He is the West Coast version of the person above. Like La'Mical he has come on late and especially impressed in the Senior Bowl and practices.  Now he did have a better year than La'Mical getting a 1060 yards but it was what we seen in this all star game. Also his forty was impressive at the combine when he ran a 4.49 forty.   MID TO LATE 3RD ROUND GRADE

13.  MICHAEL WARREN - CINCINNATI  -  One of my favorite running backs who is one hard nose football player. Not to many experts have him as a third round guy. I do. He gets you that extra yard and he is an excellent receiver. He is more quicker than fast and his pro day was important since he did not run his forty at his combine.  He is not a big guy but plays big at 5' 9" and 226 lbs and is an alright blocker. I have watched him all year and his warrior attitude will suit well at the next level.  His new teammates will love him. He smells the end zone or that crucial first down   LATE 3RD ROUND GRADE

14. ENO BENJAMIN - ARIZONA ST. -  Eno like Warren is small in nature but not as much girth and strength. He is 5' 9" and 207 lbs and may be quicker than Warren, especially when he sees that slight hole. Again he is quicker than he is fast. He ran a 4.57 forty at the combine, but he has a vertical of 39, which doesn't equate to that forty time. Look some outlets stated he ran a 4.44 so whose to say. He was a first team all PAC 12 Conference  running back.  He is another RB who is a pretty good receiver.  LATE 3RD TO EARLY 4TH ROUND. 

15. ANTHONY MCFARLAND, JR - MARYLAND -   Another explosive running back on a team with a bad offensive line. You wonder what these talented running backs were lucky enough to have some of these top offensive lines in front of him. Just watching him on tape you see his acceleration when a defensive player is trying to catch him from behind. He will beat that safety to the end zone with his 4.45 speed.  And he does it all. He has really nice hands and he can receive kick offs.         MID 4TH ROUND GRADE

16. LEVONTAE BELLAMY - WESTERN MICHIGAN - I love the first few steps here has after he gets the hand off. He explodes to the line. One of the fastest i have seen watching tape.  We need to really talk about this guy. Look at his production. This year he had 1472 yards on 266 carries. The year before he had 1228 yards on 208 carries. He has a nose for the end zone and he is not a bad receiver out of the backfield. So what does he do when he gets to the Combine he runs a real nice 4.50 forty and has a great vertical jump of 39.5 and real nice 125 inch broad jump.  So for me he has Checked Every Box.   HE IS MY RISER   Love this guy Jet fans. I would draft him in a second.     MID 4TH ROUND GRADE BUT IF YOU TALK TO ME NEAR DRAFT DAY I MIGHT SAY LATE 2ND 

17. RAYMOND CALAIS -  LOUISIANA -   This young man is all about speed. He is not big and is like a scat back. Give him an opening and he is gone. He ran a disappointing 4.42 forty since he is known to run in the mid 4.3's. Just looking at his vertical of 37.5 you know he is got some hop in those legs.    He is perfect for the new NFL and their Kansas City type of offenses. Some teams might actually draft him higher than most analysts would predict. When you look at his stats his 7.6 per rush gets you excited. Also he doesn't turnover the ball. He has quick burst and elusive.  Now if he does have this role on third downs he needs to catch more balls than he did this year. A positive feature is he really hasn't been used a lot in college so he has more wear on his tires sort of speak than others.     LATE 4TH ROUND TO EARLY 5TH

18. JAVON LEAKE - MARYLAND - My 2nd running back from Maryland. They had two real talented runners. He is the bigger back at 6' 0" and 215 lbs.. He also returned kickoffs and returned 3 for touchdowns. Now at the combine he didn't run nearly as fast as Anthony and he ran a slow 4.65 which knocks him down a little. But when watching him on tape he looks explosive and again looks faster on a football field. He only had 102 carries but he had an outstanding 7.2 per carry. He runs high and is more an inside runner who waits for his opening. He really is not a receiver coming out of the backfield.                    LATE 4TH ROUND TO EARLY 5TH    

19.  JAMES ROBINSON  - ILLINOIS ST   -  I watched this kid in the FCS Championship playoffs and was highly impressed. In fact he was the best running back in the FCS.  He was then invited to the East West Shrine game and he impressed so much he was the offensive most valuable player. So he proved he could play against better competition.  He has nice size at 5' 09" and 220 lbs. Now it was the speed we needed to see at the combine. And he ran what everyone had thought he was going to run which was a slow 4.64 forty. But the difference here is that it did not equate to his 40" vertical and his 125 inch long jump. It showed you that he has bursts of speed and athleticism in that body. He is a real interesting back. Obviously he needs to be molded by a good running back coach. He is a North-South running back and who really wasn't used in the air game. His best trait getting that 3rd and 1 or scoring near the 3 yard line.   EARLY 5TH ROUND GRADE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  My next two players were two of my favorite players this year. Both are explosive but so different. One has lightening speed and the other has a burst and quickness through the smallest holes. The two players I am talking about are 

20.  ADRIAN KILLINGS  - CENTRAL FLORIDA -  I Been watching this little speedster for three years. Can we nickname him The Flash. I really wanted to see how fast he would of run at the Combine. He was once clocked at 4.27 at a team track event. He has ran track in high school. And on the field he even looks faster.  Look, the guy is not big being only 5' 7 1/2" and 167 lbs. But we have seen scat backs be successful in this new NFL.  Look at Darren Sproles. He was even shorter than Adrian.  Now this year was a down year compared to last year, but for me that was because of the freshman QB that the Knights had this year.  He reminds me of Tavon Austin when he was playing for West Virginia. Austin was slightly bigger and had more production but featured more by the Mountaineer's coaching staff. And he went in the first round. Adrian would be a bargain in the 5th round.  EARLY FIFTH ROUND but I can see him going earlier if someone works him out.  The PRO DAY being cancelled really hurt a player like this. 

21.  MALCOLM PERRY - NAVY - Man I was so happy to see him not only get invited to the East West Shrine game where he carried the ball on one possession, and scored on his usual quick 52 yard burst for a TD, but also the NFL Combine.  He was dominating all year, and personally defeated a good Kansas St. Team, in his final Navy appearance in their bowl game. Yeah he deserves a shot at the NFL, and he is going to get drafted. The problem is where do we play him. I say a scat back just like Killings. Get him in the open field and let him do his jitterbug thing he does. Now unlike Killings he did not run a fast time which was timed at 4.63. But he did show why he has those bursts by jumping a vertical of 36 inches and a high jump of 122 inches. He will get a shot. I know many out there are rooting for him.     MID FIFTH TO LATE FIFTH ROUND GRADE

22.  DEE JAY DALLAS  -  MIAMI  - It was unfortunate that I watched him in the game where he got injured this year. A  dislocated elbow ended his season, but he was able to get ready for the Combine.  Now at the time of the injury he had some moments this year to shine. But not too many because his offensive line was terrible. He is a talented back that on any team would have way better stats. He is a combo power back, but could turn the corner and run lateral with quickness. Not much of a receiver, but do we really know with such bad Quarterback play.  He has nice size at 5' 10" and near 220 lbs.. He is not a bruiser back for his size though. He ran a 4.58 forty, but when he gets past those first wave of tacklers he shows way more speed.  Like I said, I give him a MID FIFTH ROUND GRADE  but I could see him going a round earlier.

23. DARIUS ANDERSON  - TCU - I watched TCU a lot this year and they shared their running game between Anderson, their rookie QB, and their other prize running back who is my number 1 full back.  Where Anderson really shined was at the Senior Bowl and its practices. He showed his burst of speed around the end, and with some powerful strides he separated from a safety trying to tackle him. I seen him do the same doing this year at TCU. I like his patience looking for the hole, and then when he views it, he bursts through. He could stop on a dime, in going one way, and turn and run the other. He is elusive, but he doesn't shy away from a tackler. He also returns kick offs, and is not a bad receiver. He is 5' 11' and 210 lbs so he has nice size, but he ran a slow forty of 4.61 at the combine. If he had ran a 4.45 he would of moved up in these rankings. But what i read about him was that he was about a 4.50 forty speed RB. That does equate with his vertical of 36" Vertical and a real nice 128" long jump.  So he could be a prize for Jet fans in this later rounds.  And guess what?  His nickname is JET.            MID FIFTH ROUND GRADE

24. XAVIER JONES - SMU - How was this player not invited to the NFL COMBINE. I just don't get it. You see players like Brian Herrien get invited to the combine when he had a year of 490 total yards on 103 carries. No disrespect to this player, he may be talented because he plays for Georgia, but we already have Georgia's featured back and we omit a player like Xavier. Sorry NFL, you should be embarrassed. What has Xavier done you ask this year to deserve the invite. He was First team All Conference running back who had 1276 yards on 244 carries and 23 touch downs. He also caught 20 passes for 2 more TDS. So basically he did it all. And he lost only 2 fumbles all year. He is 5' 10" and 210 lbs.  Some have his Forty near 4.50 to 4.58. When you watch his games which I did many a time he is so fluid with his running style. He has this stutter step to confuse the tackler and next thing you know he is running to the end zone. I like him. Another player who got hurt from not having a Pro Day.     MID FIFTH ROUND GRADE   

25. BENNY LEMAY - CHARLOTTE -  Another player who open many eyes with his play at the East West Shrine Game. He was invited to the Combine after this, and was well deserved with his play this year. He is a hard nose running back who is going to take the hit and bounce off to get more yards. He doesn't have the initial explosion, but he feels himself out looking for that hole from his blockers. He does have some shiftiness in his game, and can fake out defenders. Now he is a compact runner, and he is 5' 8" and probably be about 225 lbs when he enters the NFL. He is no speed back as he ran a really slow 4.75 forty, and his vertical was only 28.5 inches. I see him more near that goal line looking to punch the ball over for a TD. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, but that really is not his game.     LATE 5TH ROUND GRADE

26.  RICO DOWDLE - SOUTH CAROLINA - Only 106 attempts to run the ball this year. And only 498 yards with a 4.6 avg. But then he comes to the Combine and shows you something more than that.  When you look at his tape at Alabama you see potential. First he has nice size at 5' 11 and 215 lbs and he showed that he has nice speed. He ran a 4.54 forty and again the NFL RB is 4.49.. So speed is there. He did a vertical of 38" and nice 127 inches. So it does show that 4.54 could be a 4.49.  When watching his tape I like his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. It was fluid and he has nice hands. He doesn't give you that feeling that he is moving fast until he runs past his defender. He does have some moves in him and can fake out a defender. I read where he sometimes has a fumble problem but after his freshman year he only had 4 fumbles lost in three years.  LATE 5TH ROUND GRADE TO EARLY 6TH.

27. SALVON AHMED - WASHINGTON -  I watched him in about 6 games this year and he always looked great. He always performed best against the better teams and he brought his A game versus Oregon, USC, Wash ST. and California. He is a dependable back, and his QB will trust him if he comes out on a swing pass. He was invited to the Combine, and yes he didn't run the time he wanted to run. He ran a 4.62, but he did a vertical of 34.5" and broad jumped  120 inches.  One word to describe him.....................money. I love players who wants the big moment.  LATE 5TH ROUND GRADE TO EARLY 6TH. 

28. JAMYCAL HASTY -  BAYLOR -  Like Dowdle,  JAMYCAL carries was low only getting 109 attempts. But unlike Dowdle he didn't have to share his carries with a player like Tavien Feaster. He is a small but a compact dynamo, who looks like he could fake out himself with the moves he has. He has a fantastic burst, and has enough speed to go around the ends. He actually looks way faster than his 4.55 Forty that he ran at the combine. Now he did have a Vertical of 39" and 123" high jump. Again he could be faster since he looks it.  Some outlets have him ranked  higher but I just can't. Why? His game against Oklahoma he had a total of 12 yards on  3 carries and 1 reception for negative yards.  And his bowl game against Georgia he had a total of 13 yards on 8 carries and 3 receptions for 11 yards. Was it all his fault?   MID 6TH ROUND GRADE

29. J.J. TAYLOR - ARIZONA -  I always root for under size backs, and we seen how many times now when they say they couldn't make it they do. Here is another. First he is 5' 5 1/4'' and 185 lbs. and yes Darren Sproles when he came into the league was 5' 6" and 185 lbs..  And what did Sproles do. A Three time Pro Bowl player.  Now Jet fans when you watch him play he will not play like that size. He will hit his tackler and many times they can't get a hold on him. I mean you got to get excited as a fan, fellow teammate and coaches when he does that.  He was invited to the Combine and he ran an unfortunate slow speed 4.61, but he did do a vertical of 34.5" and 118" broad jump. Put on his tape and you watch him giving 100% on every play. He even tries to block players so much bigger than him.  What was really impressive wasn't this past year. It was the year before when he achieved 1454 yards on 255 carries. And he catches anything close to him out of the backfield. Hey Daniel Jeremiah me and you agree on this player. For once we do.   LATE 6TH ROUND TO EARLY 7TH ROUND

MY PLUS 1 AND OF THE BOX PLAYER

1. JASON HUNTLEY -  NEW MEXICO ST.  -   Who? Who?   Yeah i didn't watch any of his games, and only came across him in the NFLPA Collegiate football game. And when I watched him he was like a jitterbug you couldn't tackle. He is slippery as an eel. So I had to watch some of his highlights which isn't much. And I was so impressed. Hey Jet fans take some time looking at this slippery eel. What I notice about him, is he doesn't have those muscles like we see these running backs have,  like a weight lifter.  He is 5' 08 1/2"  and 193 lbs. His reported speed is 4.34 to a 4.40.  Something about him I like a lot. He did have a nice year at New Mexico, so he is not hidden. He had 1090 yards on 154 carries and a nice 7.2 average. But better yet in 2017 he had 39 receptions, 2018 he had 47 receptions and this year 40 receptions out of the backfield !! So not only does he have speed he has nice hands. He could be a find.  SO HE IS MY DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH THIS YEAR !!        Hey Mr. Douglas get him in here as an undrafted free agent.

So that is my list. There were others I could of listed like my favorite Tony Jones,JR. of Notre Dame or other wonderful backs like another personal favorite Rodney Smith of Minnesota. Yeah this yeah had much quality running backs. Before I go there was one local back we need to take a look at and he deserves the look after the season he had and that is Pete Gueirriero of Monmouth University. 

Tony

??    ✈✈      

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Really nice list. The Jets need to figure out a way to address their top needs of OT, WR, CB and Edge and still snag a backup RB in the back-end of this draft.  

How about the big boys- Patrick Taylor Jr. out of Memphis and Sewo Olonilua out of TCU...these are big, bruising RBs that will wear you down and can generate some speed if you let them.  

I also really like the speedy Reggie Corbin out of Illinois. 

Great post I immediately went to read about Akers. 

Spot on. I can't speak for all other backs but I absolutely love this kid's style of classic FSU quick HB's have watched almost every game of his just as explosive as #4 Dalvin Cook (who I was begging for only to watch go right after Marcus Maye as an FSU fan that hurt at the time but Mayeday has been awesome for us); Akers is scary good. 

Warrick Dunn, Dalvin Cook, Cam Akers,  Devonta Freeman and Leon Washington are the top 5 FSU RB's throughout my generation that I've absolutely enjoyed watching in open space. That's the easiest way I can explain this kid he fits that mold and is going to electric once on an NFL playing field with NFL Quality offensive lineman (hopefully) in front of him.

We've been a nightmare since Winston left for Tampa Bay I can only imagine how sick he'll be on the next level. I just hope an NFC team takes him. 

I can't see the Jets touching a RB until day 3... 

My personal favorites in that area are Benny Lemay and James Robinson - the later reminding me of David Johnson, though his speed is suspect. Would welcome some competition in the backfield from either. 

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Nice work, Tony.  I guess Gibson isn't so 'under the radar' anymore, huh?  I really like his potential and would love to have seen us snap him up in the 4th.  Not sure he'll last that long though.

We will find a lot of good talent for running backs in the later rounds. This is a wonderful draft for many positions. In fact many talented players will go undrafted. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, nycdan said:

Nice work, Tony.  I guess Gibson isn't so 'under the radar' anymore, huh?  I really like his potential and would love to have seen us snap him up in the 4th.  Not sure he'll last that long though.

Yeah teams really like this guy. He showed he could do both, run the ball, and catch the ball real well.  He will be gone when the Jets will look for a running back. 

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Yeah teams really like this guy. He showed he could do both, run the ball, and catch the ball real well.  He will be gone when the Jets will look for a running back. 

Well, it just depends when the Jets will look for a RB doesn't it. Quite possible they look for one with the second of their 3rd rounders. I think some Jet fans are viewing the RB position as one of low need. Which makes sense, we have Bell after all. However, Gase wants no part of Bell, he did not utilize him properly, and odds are Bell will be gone next year. So if the Jets have a chance to draft a really good RB THIS year, why wouldn't they? 

Although it will be tempting to look for a IOL, Edge and CB in Round 3, in addition to another WR, I would really be tempted to pick up a RB to back up Bell and replace him in 2021.  

The Jets have so many need, and the test the best answer really may be to take BPA for those 4 position groups, for rds 3 and 4.  

On 4/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, nycdan said:

Just said the same thing.  My expectation was that Gibson would be available on Day 3.  Maybe that's not possible now.  He's a great pass catcher which makes him more valuable, but he does have limitations in blocking and picking up the blitz which are things we'd really want to protect Darnold.  However, blitz pickup is something that can be taught and it wouldn't make me shy away from taking Gibson.

To say the Big 10 was "way" better than any other conference on D, is not something we can all agree on.  It's silly agenda talk.  Better?  Sure.  Way better?  No.  The level of comp is that division is not equitable after after the top 5 teams.  Pretty sure the SEC and Big 10 had the same amount of top 25 D's.  And why doesnt 2018 apply in this analysis.  Swift played in 2018, right?  The kid averaged 6.2 per yards in the SEC for his career.   Down playing his career because of level of competition is bar none, the dumbest thing I've ever heard while analyzing a player from the SEC.

Wisconsin backs dont exactly have a great track record, no mention of that in your analaysis of Taylor.  Also, no mention of the tread on the tires of Dobbins and Taylor.

If I were a betting man, Tony is an Ohio St. fan.  

Top 7 overall players grades on Taylor and Dobbins????  no.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The two game breaker type guys I want who should be available in the middle rounds are McFarland and Gibson.  I think they'd be a good fit for what Gase wants and both should be available in Round 4 or later.

McFarland is wayyyyyy too low on this list. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Just said the same thing.  My expectation was that Gibson would be available on Day 3.  Maybe that's not possible now.  He's a great pass catcher which makes him more valuable, but he does have limitations in blocking and picking up the blitz which are things we'd really want to protect Darnold.  However, blitz pickup is something that can be taught and it wouldn't make me shy away from taking Gibson.

I was doing PFNs draft simulator yesterday and Gibson was available in round four pretty consistently and sometimes round five.

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

11. LA' MICAL PERINE  - FLORIDA  -  He really came on late this year. Why wasn't he more in the offense than he was like he was in the Orange Bowl falls on the head coach. Would you believe this player who had 138 yards on only 13 carries and 2 TDS in the Orange Bowl an the offensive MVP of the Senior Bowl having only a total of 19 carries in the last 4 games for Florida before the bowl game.  So I have to ask why?  He has nice size at 5' 11" and 218 lbs and he runs high with great leg action.  Now he doesn't have that real speed but I seen him turn it on in both the Orange Bowl and at the Senior Bowl. So I will believe he is more a 4.52 forty guy than what he ran at the combine which was 4.62.. Also he has nice soft hands and did catch 40 receptions for the gators.   EARLY TO MID 3RD ROUND GRADE

Perine he did not come on late, he actually got the ball less toward the end of the season.  Besides, he's been in the system for 3 years producing at a similar rate.  His best game was Auburn where he had a 90 yard breakaway to ice the game and that was also his best stretch of Football, in the middle of the season.  He carried the ball 13 times vs. Virginia which was basically his per game average until late in the season when he wasnt getting the ball as much because the OL was banged up and pass protected better. 

The Gators OL couldnt run block to save their life and it got worse as the season went on.  It was like watching the Jets.  Mullen would try but Perine was consistently met behind the LOS, similar to Bell.  They couldnt create lanes so Mullen basically had to roll out a Mike Leach offense which is why his catches went up so much this season vs. the last 2.  That said, Perrine still carried the ball nearly 90 more times than the next RB.  He also caught 9 receptions less than Van Jefferson. They had to time to rest for the Orange Bowl and he carried the ball back at his average. 

Perine will be a decent complimentary player in a RBC system in the NFL.  He'll never be a carry the load type of guy.  My guess is he goes, 4/5th round range. 

43 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I was doing PFNs draft simulator yesterday and Gibson was available in round four pretty consistently and sometimes round five.

We can only hope!  I think I'd be okay with either McFarland or Gibson in Round 4 of 5, assuming the Jets had already hit WR, OT, another WR or OT, and then one Def position like Edge or CB.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

We can only hope!  I think I'd be okay with either McFarland or Gibson in Round 4 of 5, assuming the Jets had already hit WR, OT, another WR or OT, and then one Def position like Edge or CB.

My pics were as follows… Jedrick Wills, Michael Pittman Junior, Van Jefferson, Bryce love CB, Nick Harris C, Antonio Gibson, TreyAdams OT....Andrew Thomas was also available at 11 when I picked.

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

My pics were as follows… Jedrick Wills, Michael Pittman Junior, Van Jefferson, Bryce love CB, Nick Harris C, Antonio Gibson, TreyAdams OT....Andrew Thomas was also available at 11 when I picked.

Nice.  I like Wills more than Thomas.  I'm not a fan of Trey Adams though, maybe as a UDFA.  The late round OT I'd take a swing at in the 6th or 7th (we have no 7th rounder though) is Alex Taylor.  That's a good group of players you've listed and hitting WR twice is always a positive.  The one thing missing is an Edge rusher.  But you can't hit every need in one draft.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, PepPep said:

Well, it just depends when the Jets will look for a RB doesn't it. Quite possible they look for one with the second of their 3rd rounders. I think some Jet fans are viewing the RB position as one of low need. Which makes sense, we have Bell after all. However, Gase wants no part of Bell, he did not utilize him properly, and odds are Bell will be gone next year. So if the Jets have a chance to draft a really good RB THIS year, why wouldn't they? 

I agree 100%. After what Douglas accomplished in free agency I could see him drafting a Running Back in a later round. 

On 4/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, JiF said:

To say the Big 10 was "way" better than any other conference on D, is not something we can all agree on.  It's silly agenda talk.  Better?  Sure.  Way better?  No.  The level of comp is that division is not equitable after after the top 5 teams.  Pretty sure the SEC and Big 10 had the same amount of top 25 D's.  And why doesnt 2018 apply in this analysis.  Swift played in 2018, right?  The kid averaged 6.2 per yards in the SEC for his career.   Down playing his career because of level of competition is bar none, the dumbest thing I've ever heard while analyzing a player from the SEC.

Wisconsin backs dont exactly have a great track record, no mention of that in your analaysis of Taylor.  Also, no mention of the tread on the tires of Dobbins and Taylor.

If I were a betting man, Tony is an Ohio St. fan.  

Top 7 overall players grades on Taylor and Dobbins????  no.

No I am no Ohio ST. Fan. I do love college football and I do have favorite teams I root for. Because they from NY and NJ I root for Syracuse and Rutgers but in most part Football is not played well with these teams. But Syracuse was good last Year. I am mostly A Notre Dame fan but also root for my other 4. One you are going to hate since they won the College Football Championship. Yeah LSU. I liked them going back to the early 70's.  Clemson is the other team since the 1980's and Oklahoma since 1969. I watched the Selmon Brothers, Billy Simms, Joe Washington and more. And in the last 10 years and up Oregon.

So to answer you question I do not like Ohio St..   

Jets could use a back. Just an outside idea but I’d consider floating a late rounder to Indianapolis for Jordan Wilkins. One cut down hill runner similar to Tevin Coleman(who Gase wanted). Bell probably is back but with Wilkins you could at least get him in the game and he’s got the ability to get hot, which Montgomery didn’t have. He’s been an efficient runner his entire career and doesn’t dance.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Phil Simms "lite" on RBs.  Pretty wild.  He likes Edwards-Hillaire first which surprised me.

Why would that surprise you? Edwards Helaire is elite and can do it all.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, nycdan said:

Totally agree. I was hoping that we could get Gibson in the fourth round as well. I think he’s going to be an absolute beast in the NFL!