Tony The Wiz

My Top Running Backs Evaluation For The 2020 NFL Draft

Really nice list. The Jets need to figure out a way to address their top needs of OT, WR, CB and Edge and still snag a backup RB in the back-end of this draft.  

How about the big boys- Patrick Taylor Jr. out of Memphis and Sewo Olonilua out of TCU...these are big, bruising RBs that will wear you down and can generate some speed if you let them.  

I also really like the speedy Reggie Corbin out of Illinois. 

Great post I immediately went to read about Akers. 

Spot on. I can't speak for all other backs but I absolutely love this kid's style of classic FSU quick HB's have watched almost every game of his just as explosive as #4 Dalvin Cook (who I was begging for only to watch go right after Marcus Maye as an FSU fan that hurt at the time but Mayeday has been awesome for us); Akers is scary good. 

Warrick Dunn, Dalvin Cook, Cam Akers,  Devonta Freeman and Leon Washington are the top 5 FSU RB's throughout my generation that I've absolutely enjoyed watching in open space. That's the easiest way I can explain this kid he fits that mold and is going to electric once on an NFL playing field with NFL Quality offensive lineman (hopefully) in front of him.

We've been a nightmare since Winston left for Tampa Bay I can only imagine how sick he'll be on the next level. I just hope an NFC team takes him. 

I can't see the Jets touching a RB until day 3... 

My personal favorites in that area are Benny Lemay and James Robinson - the later reminding me of David Johnson, though his speed is suspect. Would welcome some competition in the backfield from either. 

Little bit of what James Robinson brings to the table--

(sorry, don't know why it insist on the showing the same 1 three times at the start

• Upvote 2

Nice work, Tony.  I guess Gibson isn't so 'under the radar' anymore, huh?  I really like his potential and would love to have seen us snap him up in the 4th.  Not sure he'll last that long though.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Nice work, Tony.  I guess Gibson isn't so 'under the radar' anymore, huh?  I really like his potential and would love to have seen us snap him up in the 4th.  Not sure he'll last that long though.

We will find a lot of good talent for running backs in the later rounds. This is a wonderful draft for many positions. In fact many talented players will go undrafted. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, nycdan said:

Yeah teams really like this guy. He showed he could do both, run the ball, and catch the ball real well.  He will be gone when the Jets will look for a running back. 

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Yeah teams really like this guy. He showed he could do both, run the ball, and catch the ball real well.  He will be gone when the Jets will look for a running back. 

Well, it just depends when the Jets will look for a RB doesn't it. Quite possible they look for one with the second of their 3rd rounders. I think some Jet fans are viewing the RB position as one of low need. Which makes sense, we have Bell after all. However, Gase wants no part of Bell, he did not utilize him properly, and odds are Bell will be gone next year. So if the Jets have a chance to draft a really good RB THIS year, why wouldn't they? 

Here is a question:

What kind of RB does Gase like for his offense.

And what kind of Wr does he like for his offense.

The oline seems documented, zone blocking scheme, smaller more athletic oline.

Although it will be tempting to look for a IOL, Edge and CB in Round 3, in addition to another WR, I would really be tempted to pick up a RB to back up Bell and replace him in 2021.  

The Jets have so many need, and the test the best answer really may be to take BPA for those 4 position groups, for rds 3 and 4.  

The two game breaker type guys I want who should be available in the middle rounds are McFarland and Gibson.  I think they'd be a good fit for what Gase wants and both should be available in Round 4 or later.

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, nycdan said:

Just said the same thing.  My expectation was that Gibson would be available on Day 3.  Maybe that's not possible now.  He's a great pass catcher which makes him more valuable, but he does have limitations in blocking and picking up the blitz which are things we'd really want to protect Darnold.  However, blitz pickup is something that can be taught and it wouldn't make me shy away from taking Gibson.

To say the Big 10 was "way" better than any other conference on D, is not something we can all agree on.  It's silly agenda talk.  Better?  Sure.  Way better?  No.  The level of comp is that division is not equitable after after the top 5 teams.  Pretty sure the SEC and Big 10 had the same amount of top 25 D's.  And why doesnt 2018 apply in this analysis.  Swift played in 2018, right?  The kid averaged 6.2 per yards in the SEC for his career.   Down playing his career because of level of competition is bar none, the dumbest thing I've ever heard while analyzing a player from the SEC.

Wisconsin backs dont exactly have a great track record, no mention of that in your analaysis of Taylor.  Also, no mention of the tread on the tires of Dobbins and Taylor.

If I were a betting man, Tony is an Ohio St. fan.  

Top 7 overall players grades on Taylor and Dobbins????  no.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The two game breaker type guys I want who should be available in the middle rounds are McFarland and Gibson.  I think they'd be a good fit for what Gase wants and both should be available in Round 4 or later.

McFarland is wayyyyyy too low on this list. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Just said the same thing.  My expectation was that Gibson would be available on Day 3.  Maybe that's not possible now.  He's a great pass catcher which makes him more valuable, but he does have limitations in blocking and picking up the blitz which are things we'd really want to protect Darnold.  However, blitz pickup is something that can be taught and it wouldn't make me shy away from taking Gibson.

I was doing PFNs draft simulator yesterday and Gibson was available in round four pretty consistently and sometimes round five.

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

11. LA' MICAL PERINE  - FLORIDA  -  He really came on late this year. Why wasn't he more in the offense than he was like he was in the Orange Bowl falls on the head coach. Would you believe this player who had 138 yards on only 13 carries and 2 TDS in the Orange Bowl an the offensive MVP of the Senior Bowl having only a total of 19 carries in the last 4 games for Florida before the bowl game.  So I have to ask why?  He has nice size at 5' 11" and 218 lbs and he runs high with great leg action.  Now he doesn't have that real speed but I seen him turn it on in both the Orange Bowl and at the Senior Bowl. So I will believe he is more a 4.52 forty guy than what he ran at the combine which was 4.62.. Also he has nice soft hands and did catch 40 receptions for the gators.   EARLY TO MID 3RD ROUND GRADE

Perine he did not come on late, he actually got the ball less toward the end of the season.  Besides, he's been in the system for 3 years producing at a similar rate.  His best game was Auburn where he had a 90 yard breakaway to ice the game and that was also his best stretch of Football, in the middle of the season.  He carried the ball 13 times vs. Virginia which was basically his per game average until late in the season when he wasnt getting the ball as much because the OL was banged up and pass protected better. 

The Gators OL couldnt run block to save their life and it got worse as the season went on.  It was like watching the Jets.  Mullen would try but Perine was consistently met behind the LOS, similar to Bell.  They couldnt create lanes so Mullen basically had to roll out a Mike Leach offense which is why his catches went up so much this season vs. the last 2.  That said, Perrine still carried the ball nearly 90 more times than the next RB.  He also caught 9 receptions less than Van Jefferson. They had to time to rest for the Orange Bowl and he carried the ball back at his average. 

Perine will be a decent complimentary player in a RBC system in the NFL.  He'll never be a carry the load type of guy.  My guess is he goes, 4/5th round range. 

43 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I was doing PFNs draft simulator yesterday and Gibson was available in round four pretty consistently and sometimes round five.

We can only hope!  I think I'd be okay with either McFarland or Gibson in Round 4 of 5, assuming the Jets had already hit WR, OT, another WR or OT, and then one Def position like Edge or CB.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

We can only hope!  I think I'd be okay with either McFarland or Gibson in Round 4 of 5, assuming the Jets had already hit WR, OT, another WR or OT, and then one Def position like Edge or CB.

My pics were as follows… Jedrick Wills, Michael Pittman Junior, Van Jefferson, Bryce love CB, Nick Harris C, Antonio Gibson, TreyAdams OT....Andrew Thomas was also available at 11 when I picked.

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

My pics were as follows… Jedrick Wills, Michael Pittman Junior, Van Jefferson, Bryce love CB, Nick Harris C, Antonio Gibson, TreyAdams OT....Andrew Thomas was also available at 11 when I picked.

Nice.  I like Wills more than Thomas.  I'm not a fan of Trey Adams though, maybe as a UDFA.  The late round OT I'd take a swing at in the 6th or 7th (we have no 7th rounder though) is Alex Taylor.  That's a good group of players you've listed and hitting WR twice is always a positive.  The one thing missing is an Edge rusher.  But you can't hit every need in one draft.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, PepPep said:

Well, it just depends when the Jets will look for a RB doesn't it. Quite possible they look for one with the second of their 3rd rounders. I think some Jet fans are viewing the RB position as one of low need. Which makes sense, we have Bell after all. However, Gase wants no part of Bell, he did not utilize him properly, and odds are Bell will be gone next year. So if the Jets have a chance to draft a really good RB THIS year, why wouldn't they? 

I agree 100%. After what Douglas accomplished in free agency I could see him drafting a Running Back in a later round. 

On 4/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, JiF said:

To say the Big 10 was "way" better than any other conference on D, is not something we can all agree on.  It's silly agenda talk.  Better?  Sure.  Way better?  No.  The level of comp is that division is not equitable after after the top 5 teams.  Pretty sure the SEC and Big 10 had the same amount of top 25 D's.  And why doesnt 2018 apply in this analysis.  Swift played in 2018, right?  The kid averaged 6.2 per yards in the SEC for his career.   Down playing his career because of level of competition is bar none, the dumbest thing I've ever heard while analyzing a player from the SEC.

Wisconsin backs dont exactly have a great track record, no mention of that in your analaysis of Taylor.  Also, no mention of the tread on the tires of Dobbins and Taylor.

If I were a betting man, Tony is an Ohio St. fan.  

Top 7 overall players grades on Taylor and Dobbins????  no.

No I am no Ohio ST. Fan. I do love college football and I do have favorite teams I root for. Because they from NY and NJ I root for Syracuse and Rutgers but in most part Football is not played well with these teams. But Syracuse was good last Year. I am mostly A Notre Dame fan but also root for my other 4. One you are going to hate since they won the College Football Championship. Yeah LSU. I liked them going back to the early 70's.  Clemson is the other team since the 1980's and Oklahoma since 1969. I watched the Selmon Brothers, Billy Simms, Joe Washington and more. And in the last 10 years and up Oregon.

So to answer you question I do not like Ohio St..   

Jets could use a back. Just an outside idea but I’d consider floating a late rounder to Indianapolis for Jordan Wilkins. One cut down hill runner similar to Tevin Coleman(who Gase wanted). Bell probably is back but with Wilkins you could at least get him in the game and he’s got the ability to get hot, which Montgomery didn’t have. He’s been an efficient runner his entire career and doesn’t dance.

we definitely need to draft a back unless they plan on bringing back Powell or Montgomery which I would prefer they don't.  Cannon and Adams is what we got behind Bell.  I'd like a RB from the draft somewhere.

Phil Simms "lite" on RBs.  Pretty wild.  He likes Edwards-Hillaire first which surprised me.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Phil Simms "lite" on RBs.  Pretty wild.  He likes Edwards-Hillaire first which surprised me.

Why would that surprise you? Edwards Helaire is elite and can do it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Why would that surprise you? Edwards Helaire is elite and can do it all.

I've heard that phrase before somewhere.

• Like 1

I'd be happy with AJ Dillon somewhere on day 3.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:38 PM, nycdan said:

Totally agree. I was hoping that we could get Gibson in the fourth round as well. I think he’s going to be an absolute beast in the NFL!