If We’re Going with Draft Bust Threads..... Here’s Josh Doctson!

Enjoy, the possibilities are Endless!

2018 Draft Prospects

GRADE
Photo of Josh Doctson

Josh Doctson (WR)

HT: 6'2" WT: 202LBS.

POSITION: WR

SCHOOL: TCU

ARM LENGTH: 31 7/8"

HANDS: 9 7/8"

Overview

Doctson started his collegiate career at Wyoming before transferring back to his home state. He became Heisman Trophy candidate Trevone Boykin's favorite target (65 receptions, 1,018 yards, 11 TD) as a junior and ramped up his game even more in 2015, earning consensus first team All-American honors with a school-record 79 catches for 1,337 yards and 14 scores. Doctson only played in 11 games this year, only sparingly in one of those contests, as he suffered a wrist injury when players fell on him after a catch. The 2015 Fred Biletnikoff Award finalist finished second in TCU history in career receptions and yards, and set the record for touchdown receptions, despite starting his career at another school.

• SELECTED BY: Redskins
  • ROUND: 1
  • PICK (OVERALL): 22 (22)
PICK ANALYSIS:

"They're going to get some weapons around quarterback Kirk Cousins, who got the franchise tag. Doctson is very much like Jordan Matthews of the Eagles. Both are faster than people give them credit for. Doctson surprised a lot of people at the combine when he ran a 4.5 40." -- Daniel Jeremiah

COMBINE STATS

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.50 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 14 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 41.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 131.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.84 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.08 SEC
  • 60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.06 SEC

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Targeted 36.5 percent of the time and has the mentality of a lead receiver. Silky vertical routes with ability to make subtle shifts to get past corners waiting to put hands on him. Consistent in his play speed. Good accelerator off stutter­-step release. Able to create late separation down the field with body lean and quiet hand usage. Touchdown maker who has rung up 25 receiving touchdowns over last two years despite missing three games this season. Climbs to snare jump balls and has body control to adjust in mid­air. Hands are very strong helping him secure catches through contact. Has ability to make defenses pay after the catch. Isn't overwhelmed by physical cornerbacks trying to force him into the boundary and can play through it to make winning catches downfield.

Weaknesses

Tall but needs to add more muscle to prepare for physical, press cornerbacks. Played in offense that created plenty of space to work in. Needs a greater commitment as a blocker. Was rarely pressed, but had issues coming out cleanly when he was. Doesn't look sudden or urgent in his routes and is upright into his breaks. Out-­breaking routes are rounded and obvious. Suffered a broken wrist in early November.

Draft Projection

Round 1

Sources Tell Us

"Pure technician. He's really good with those routes and he's the best at getting it up top. When he got hurt, TCU was done. They looked lost without him. He's a safe receiver for the first (round) and one of the only ones." -- AFC wide receivers coach

NFL Comparison

Terrance Williams

Bottom Line

Highly productive receiver with good height but in need of more functional mass for the NFL game. Doctson must prove he can play against press coverage if he is to reach his potential, but his ability to go up and win when the ball is in the air will endear him to quarterbacks. Scouts don't expect to be wowed by his 40 ­time, but most believe he'll be a solid No. 2 receiver in the league.

Come on man don’t give up on Josh now. Yes he was drafted in the first round. Yes he came out of college with a lot of promise, and was supposed to be a superstar. And yes he hasn’t done much of anything since he was drafted except for the last five games of last season. But that doesn’t mean he’s a bust, that doesn’t mean his career is over, because nothing is over until we decide it is!  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor… Hell no! Now who’s with me… Go Josh go Josh go Josh!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Come on man don’t give up on Josh now. Yes he was drafted in the first round. Yes he came out of college with a lot of promise, and was supposed to be a superstar. And yes he hasn’t done much of anything since he was drafted except for the last five games of last season. But that doesn’t mean he’s a bust, that doesn’t mean his career is over, because nothing is over until we decide it is!  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor… Hell no! Now who’s with me… Go Josh go Josh go Josh!

Ok so too much wine...the sentence about the last 5 games etc etc, is about Breshard... I mixed up the two outside wide receivers who have been disappointing since they come out… But you get my drift… I have hope! 

• Upvote 1

Another old profile from THR.  More telling perhaps...anybody learn why he's under performed?

Josh Doctson   WR   TCU

STRENGTHS
Josh does a really good job as a receiver going against man coverage. He is a quick-twitch athlete with nice size and speed. He has excellent hands and catches the ball at all levels with the aggressiveness that you like to see in a receiver for the next level. He has quick feet and solid lateral agility. Josh will sell out to make a catch and is fearless going over the middle when asked. He likes to be used deep for the impact catch as well as taking pride in moving the chains on a third downs. He is a willing blocker. Josh likes the responsibility of being the main receiver in a system that uses a lot of receivers on the field on every down. He does have talent to play at the next level, but remember, it takes more than talent to play in the NFL.

CONCERNS
Right now, Josh is in an offensive system that dictates single coverage with simplified route running. He runs his routes at one speed and in the NFL, he will have to learn to change gears and run the whole route tree. His lack of bulk will not allow him to be an option to move the chains consistently because of the pounding a possession receiver takes at the next level. He struggles reading zone coverage except for one particular route. He has the advantage in his college team’s offensive system of being a better athlete than most players, which will not happen in the NFL. In short, Josh is a one dimensional receiver and to be a multi-dimensional receiver, he has a lot of work to do and I’m not convinced he has shown the work ethic to get much better than he is right now.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 3
Josh has talent, there is no doubt about that. However, being in this style of offensive system, he hasn’t progressed as a receiver for the next level. I love that he has an excellent catch radius and is a willing blocker, but his lack of bulk and the fact that he hasn’t seemed to improve his route running over the years is a big concern. That lack of maturity on the field to improve raises a red flag for me. Josh just runs as fast as he can on most routes and only runs a handful of routes in this system. That sends a red flag also. These concerns don’t mean that he can’t impact at the next level, but for the purposes of this draft, it does mean that he is behind compared to some other receivers with his type of talent. Josh has to add about 15 lbs of muscle without it affecting his quickness and that, along with learning to run routes at the NFL level, means he can be used as a number three receiver until he shows marked improvement in both of these areas. If he does improve, then Josh can impact at the next level and stay on the field for all three downs.

Drew Boylhart  FEB.2016

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

lol, i love the enthusiasm! 

I was skeptical of his game speed and ability to separate when he was at TCU... he got by feasting in the Big 12 and making a few splash plays.. So far in the NFL the speed issue has been glaring - and he can't separate or play through a DB 

I don't think that's going to change in 5... 

RIP

• Upvote 1

I'm not counting on him for anything, but it's not as if he was useless the 2 years he was healthy.  

Wasn't exactly setting the league on fire either, but in 17 and 18 he finished 64th and 65th in DYAR.  That's the general neighborhood Anderson finished the past two seasons.

If he can stay healthy(huge if) he has a chance to contribute.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol, i love the enthusiasm! 

I was skeptical of his game speed and ability to separate when he was at TCU... he got bye making feasting in the Big 12 and making a few splash plays.. So far in the NFL the speed issue has been glaring - and he can't separate or play through a DB 

I don't think that's going to change in 5... 

RIP

He's talking about Perriman, not Doctson.

Doctson tested faster than his tape suggested, thus skewing a lot of evaluations.   But more importantly he can not beat press man, that one trait significantly hampers a prospects ceiling.  That’s why a 6’3” WR who can line up outside, beat press man and go up vertically to get a ball will always be the rarest most valuable WR prospect.  Few guys can do that on a regular basis.