NFL should change draft format

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yes, with no other sports - why not extend out the rounds too.  Heck make the 1st round the whole day...

Get into more detail about the prospects - give teams more time to work out trades etc.

If the first round was 6 hours on a Sat. my TV would be on for 6 hours.  

Plus they can now do it on a weekend afternoon as everyone is stuck at home anyway.  Doesn’t need to be a weeknight thing.

That would be brutal from a 31 other team stand point haha but I get the idea. I would like to see them space it out a little bit given the circumstances but I could see viewership tuning out an potentially not staying interested.

2 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

all these are great suggestions, I just think the first round has potential to be a dud

ESPN and NFL Network are going to have weeks to make sure this event is anything but a dud. They have zero events to broadcast. All their attention will be on the production of this draft.

They could probably slow roll this thing over 2 weeks and get monster ratings each night.

They may have to consider a slower pace if there are any "technical issues".

"Hello New York ... yeah, we can't hear who you want to pick, the line's really bad. Las Vegas, can you go on mute? Oh wait, looks like New York have dropped off the call"

"No, sorry, we were on mute. What was the question?"

:D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The worst part of the televised draft is when the player you really like and have followed for months gets drafted but it's not rd 1 and you just see the name on the crawl. They don't acknowledge this player (AT ALL) because they are interviewing Jerruh Jones about what plastic surgery place he likes the best or some BS. 

it would be nice if they could find a way to show at least 30 seconds of highlights for every draft able player. and talk about team fit for another 30 seconds.

Screw the teams, again, it's not like any of us have anything else going on. 

You're absolutely right! I never really gave that a thought

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

ESPN and NFL Network are going to have weeks to make sure this event is anything but a dud. They have zero events to broadcast. All their attention will be on the production of this draft.

They could probably slow roll this thing over 2 weeks and get monster ratings each night.

I'm not sure ESPN's undivided attention is a good thing.  That 'attention' is what brought us Stephen A Smith and Booger McFarland, among other gems.

• Haha 2

1 pick per hour for 8 straight days!  Morning, noon and night.

Just think of the traffic @Maxman would get as each player is picked and the pool of players shrinks.  An intense, board-filling discussion and debate as the Jets are 3 picks aways....2 picks away....1 pick away.

These are strange days.  We need a strange draft.

george costanza seinfeld GIF

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Under the circumstances, should the NFL change the format of the draft this year??

Round 1 and 2 first night

Round 3 thru 5 friday

Round 6-7 saturday

They arent going to have crowds, interviewers ect...may be a very boring first round

It would be a good idea. I miss the first 2 rounds on the first night anyway. But given how unusual this will be, it'll be cool to just get that done. 

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

They may have to consider a slower pace if there are any "technical issues".

"Hello New York ... yeah, we can't hear who you want to pick, the line's really bad. Las Vegas, can you go on mute? Oh wait, looks like New York have dropped off the call"

"No, sorry, we were on mute. What was the question?"

:D 

Thank god they won’t have interviews 

“I’m just so blessed man. I wanna thank god and my family. And...and...I’m just so blessed man. I can’t wait to get to work.”

Rinse and repeat for literally every player that gets drafted.

I can do without all of the Hollywood award show theatrics that the draft has devolved into over the last decade.

This year it’s going to be great.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

I'd be fine with one round per day and give teams 30 minutes between selections too facilitate trades. It would also allow for more tape highlights and breakdowns of every drafted player for the fans. The draft runs so fast now that they can barely keep up with the selections, so why not slow it down.

There is nothing going on right now......why not give us a week of football talk?

• Upvote 2

Aside from this imo the the NFL should expand the draft to more than 7 rounds.  Maybe not as long as they used to be but each team battles over like 10 UDFA's after the draft so  why not kick it to 8 or 9 rounds.

Yeah I know cost, but a slight kick increase in what these guys get paid and more interest for the always booming draft hype.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Under the circumstances, should the NFL change the format of the draft this year??

Round 1 and 2 first night

Round 3 thru 5 friday

Round 6-7 saturday

They arent going to have crowds, interviewers ect...may be a very boring first round

What? This is literally going to be the most scintillating night of the Spring - the only live sports event in months! They've got to milk this for days. 

If you really want to change the NFL draft, reward winners and not losers.

It won't be an issue because winning teams will have different needs than losing teams. For example, the Chiefs or 49ers would not draft Joe Burrow, they would draft by need or best player available as teams do now anyway, so that aspect would not change. What would really change is the option of many teams to tank season after season, like the Browns.

43 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

If you really want to change the NFL draft, reward winners and not losers.

It won't be an issue because winning teams will have different needs than losing teams. For example, the Chiefs or 49ers would not draft Joe Burrow, they would draft by need or best player available as teams do now anyway, so that aspect would not change. What would really change is the option of many teams to tank season after season, like the Browns.

Well you do not reward winners, that creates an unfair advantage.  Winners get rewarded by higher revenue, the glory and home fields/byes.

I am in favour of draft lotteries of some sort though.