Joe Douglas is Tipping $100 on Takeout During the Pandemic (Merged 3x)

PS17

This large, quiet, genial man wearing a Jets cap pulls up to River Grille in Chatham, N.J, on Sundays now, a golden retriever in the backseat, and uses his credit card to pay for the $101 order.

And then adds $100 for the tip.

The man’s name is Joe Douglas.

It is curbside pickup, of course, and bartender Ryan Holsten is there waiting with the Jets general manager’s order.

Does he leave $100 every time?

“He has the past two times. … I don’t want to scare him off from coming back (chuckle) or anything,” Holsten told The Post.

Douglas is the GM of a household with wife Shannon and three children — daughters Addison and Leighton and son Thomas.

“He gets a few kids’ meals, I think a burger. … I can’t recall everything,” Holsten said.

Holsten’s girlfriend, Cara Gaunno, posted on Reddit a photo Sunday of the check with the tip, with the last four numbers of Douglas’ credit card crossed out.

Jets GM Joe Douglas tipping big-time amid coronavirus crisis Jets GM Joe Douglas tipping big-time amid coronavirus crisisN.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg, Reddit

“It’s got like 9,000 views already,” Holsten said.

Holsten lives in Berkeley Heights, N.J. His girlfriend lives in Warren. Asked if he is a Jets fan, Holsten said: “Yeah, I like the Jets a lot.”

Does he have a message for Jets fans? “Do better this year,” he said, and laughed.

What would Holsten tell Jets fans about their general manager?

“He’s a great guy, very caring, and he takes care of these local businesses,” he said.

The conversation between them is minimal, no doubt honoring social distancing during this COVID-19 crisis.

“Not too much,” Holsten said, “but he was very supportive to me and my pocket as well.”

But how did Holsten know that Douglas was Jets GM?

“He just looked like a big guy, and he had the Jets hat on, and he said his name was Joe Douglas, and we looked it up,” Holsten said, “and he had a golden retriever in the back of his car, and just seemed like a nice American guy.”

Imagine how delighted Jamal Adams, who yearns to be the top-paid safety in his next deal, might be to read this. A Hall of Fame basketball center was known as The Big Dipper. Joe Douglas should now be known as The Big Tipper.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:34 PM, Augustiniak said:

Yet he wouldn’t up the offer to Robbie....

After you learn about the priorities of Guys like JD maybe you see why he didn’t care if Robbie wasn’t around anymore. Not like Robbie is randy moss. I think the positive to the culture not even locker room outweighs the quasi easily replacement on the field 

• Upvote 1