MLB could be back in May

16 hours ago, chirorob said:

I love baseball, but if they don't come back, I will not regain interest again.   I may throw it on in the back ground, but I'm kinda done.

Farmers can get you food.   People can work in grocery stores to sell it to you.   Garbage men can work to get rid of it for you.  Military can do all they do, but you can't show up and play baseball for slightly less money?   To all of MLB, GFY if that's the case.

I have zero sympathy for millionaire ballplayers who refuse to play because they might make 5% less

Oh and Bryce Harper is a spoiled douche

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s the owners fault how?  The deal on the table is very reasonable 

The owners started by negotiating in the media. Obviously, this irks the players.

Each side of this does not have clean hands. The both have been despicable beyond preserving the national pastime at times. It is difficult to root for either.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The owners started by negotiating in the media. Obviously, this irks the players.

Each side of this does not have clean hands. The both have been despicable beyond preserving the national pastime at times. It is difficult to root for either.

Spare me the “it’s both sides” happy talk nonsense.  The players are going to still get paid extremely well for half a season they are selfish douchebags and if they are being so mistreated or are at so much risk then don’t play 

• Upvote 1

Like many have said, it would be a HORRIBLE look if baseball doesn’t play this year and it will have disastrous consequences. These players are getting played millions to play a game. Like Philc said I have no sympathy for them and I will forever resent the guys like Blake Snell who complain while there are people who are legitimately suffering. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Spare me the “it’s both sides” happy talk nonsense.  The players are going to still get paid extremely well for half a season they are selfish douchebags and if they are being so mistreated or are at so much risk then don’t play 

Of course it's both sides. Don't stick your head in the sand. Have you witnessed mlb contract negotiations in the past? The owners are equally douchey, if not more so.

19 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Like many have said, it would be a HORRIBLE look if baseball doesn’t play this year and it will have disastrous consequences. These players are getting played millions to play a game. Like Philc said I have no sympathy for them and I will forever resent the guys like Blake Snell who complain while there are people who are legitimately suffering. 

I dont think it's likely they play (they should already be playing). And the consequences probably wont be as drastic as you think. People are fickle. It is embarrassing though. The amount of professional athletes that leverage not playing nowadays is nuts.

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Any word from Rob Manfred? Nice job baseball.

Unfortunately MLBPA is by far the strongest union in all of sports and spoiled b-tches like Snell and Harper refuse to play a shortened season for millions of dollars meanwhile 30 million people just became unemployed 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Unfortunately MLBPA is by far the strongest union in all of sports and spoiled b-tches like Snell and Harper refuse to play a shortened season for millions of dollars meanwhile 30 million people just became unemployed 

The athletes look ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

Really starting to doubt that we’re going to get an MLB season. Owners and players both entrenched in their positions and not moving. What a disaster. 

Thanks a lot baseball, in a time where people need the national pastime now more than ever, you **** it up. You had a chance to capture much needed new fans and missed it. No wonder this sport is dying and more and more kids turn to basketball, hockey and football. Only the MLB could screw this up. I should’ve seen this coming. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2020 at 5:46 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Farmers can work.  Garbage men can work.   Doctors and nurses can work.

30 million people want to work.   Baseball owners and players are acting horrible, they can all go F themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If the players and owners are "partners", open your books and cut the crap. Tony Clark is not a bomb-throwing loon, simply wants a look. If  they're really losing money, they'll see that. Suspicion is when you let crooks like the Wilpons run anything, there is financial chicanery.

Recall in the 1980s MLB was such a quaint business the Baltimore Orioles readily opened their books such they were featured in a college accounting textbook.

A legal monopoly gets lazy. Looks very much like MLB doesn't grasp they no longer have a monopoly on summer TV entertainment. Baseball is no longer the national pastime. And when somebody figures out how to sell world class soccer in the US,  they're gonna be in big trouble. This doesn't help. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If the NBA or even the NHL decides to have games in July/Aug an a regular basis it's going to crush baseball, especially if they holdout this year because of money.

They are playing pro games in Korea 

this is an outrage

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

If the NBA or even the NHL decides to have games in July/Aug an a regular basis it's going to crush baseball, especially if they holdout this year because of money.

Baseball has always been my favorite sport, both to play and watch.

Sadly, I think you're spot on with this.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, Philc1 said:

LOL Yet you and a few others are the ones getting mad at them for "not playing." Make up your mind...

Most of us realize that both sides are at fault.

BTW I know you weren't the one who brought this up, but MLB "laying off" all those minor league players had little to nothing to do with Covid. They've been wanting to cut back their minor league system for years. The owners just saw this as a perfect opportunity to do it and not catch flak for it.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL You and a few others are the ones getting mad at them for "not playing."

BTW I know you weren't the one who brought this up, but MLB "laying off" all those minor league players had little to nothing to do with Covid. They've been wanting to cut back their minor league system for years. The owners just took this as a perfect opportunity to do it unilaterally.

Owners in MLB lobbied congress to make it legal for them to pay minor leagues far below minimum wage based on the 40 hour work week. And it went through. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Owners in MLB lobbied congress to make it legal for them to pay minor leagues far below minimum wage based on the 40 hour work week. And it went through. 

Billionaires lobbying Congress to get their way... who'd ever think that could work? :roll:

The owners are a bunch of kind hearted, benevolent guardians of the game, fighting the good fight against the evil forces of organized labor. Thank goodness they have the Congress to protect and help them at every turn, or the inmates would run the asylum.

Or so I've been told.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Baseball has always been my favorite sport, both to play and watch.

Sadly, I think you're spot on with this.

Baseball has always had the July & August lead to their playoffs all to themselves. Their fan base has been dwindling, and most people at that point are just waiting for football to start. If the NHL & NBA see tremendous success this year and decide to start their seasons later moving forward to take advantage of the summer months exposure, baseball is going to become even more of an after thought. They really need to get their act together if they want to stay relevant. The fact that the owners and players are so far apart, just makes matters even worse.

• Upvote 1

I heard Don La Greca on TMKS last week make a really good point which was basically that horse racing and boxing were once the most popular sports in America and now nowhere near the top. If it can happen to these sports it can happen to baseball who isn’t invincible despite what the players and owners seem to think.

Now I love horse racing and watch it every single day but even I can’t deny that it’s glory days are long gone. Too many people that watch/bet 3 races a year. Anyway you get the point, horse racing and boxing are the example of what could happen to baseball. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2020 at 10:35 PM, 14 in Green said:

LOL Yet you and a few others are the ones getting mad at them for "not playing." Make up your mind...

BTW I know you weren't the one who brought this up, but MLB "laying off" all those minor league players had little to nothing to do with Covid. They've been wanting to cut back their minor league system for years. The owners just saw this as a perfect opportunity to do it and not catch flak for it.

Stick to trying to convince everyone that Baker is the next Aaron Rodgers

Cashiers making $7.25 an hour are getting exposed to coronavirus everyday but you want us to feel sorry for Max Scherzer

On 6/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Baseball has always had the July & August lead to their playoffs all to themselves. Their fan base has been dwindling, and most people at that point are just waiting for football to start. If the NHL & NBA see tremendous success this year and decide to start their seasons later moving forward to take advantage of the summer months exposure, baseball is going to become even more of an after thought. They really need to get their act together if they want to stay relevant. The fact that the owners and players are so far apart, just makes matters even worse.

NBA is going to restart. NFL will have a season.  Even college football, where the players don’t even get paid, their practices start in 10 days

Whats the difference with baseball? The MLBPA

F the MLBPA

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Stick to trying to convince everyone that Baker is the next Aaron Rodgers

Cashiers making $7.25 an hour are getting exposed to coronavirus everyday but you want us to feel sorry for Max Scherzer

I can't tell you how many times you've quoted me in a thread and I've said to myself "This just might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything I was talking about."

...and yet, here we are.  Just when I think you can't possibly post anything dumber, you somehow manage to pull it off.  Sure, it's sad, but in a way it's also kind of impressive.