MLB could be back in May

5:21pm: Two team executives, Reds president of baseball operations Dick Williams and Brewers president of baseball ops David Stearns, expressed optimism Wednesday that the owners and players will hammer something out. Williams told Jim Day of Fox Sports Ohio that “both sides want to play,” interestingly adding that he believes an agreement’s “very close” (via C. Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic). Stearns said, “I firmly believe we are going to have baseball this season” (per Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel).

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

At this point, I wouldn't mind missing a season. It is already ruined. 

I do not relish a trumped up short schedule, playing too late into the season and full time DH (which I feel ruins real baseball and dumbs down the wonderful strategy of this great game). 

I don't mind the DH for a shortened season.  But it opens the door for the MLB to install the DH for both leagues for 2021 and beyond, and that I do not support.  

• Upvote 1

Do I miss sports? Absolutely, especially baseball, but surprisingly not as much as I thought I would.

This is coming from someone who gets MLB Season Pass every year the day my cable company accepts payment. At this point I'm with @The Crimson King on this. As much as I was looking forward to seeing a young Mets team try to contend this year, I really don't think I'll be able to get into any type of truncated season.

As far as the NBA, I could care less. Maybe that would be different if the Knicks were close to relevant. The NHL and the 24 team playoff they've talked about has me interested though for some reason.

Golf is back this week, and although its a sport I'd rather play then watch, I'll be all in right now.

I think the NFL was in the sweet spot throughout all of this. Their season ended just before the pandemic took hold here, and has a very good chance of starting this year on time. They really caught a break.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, 14 in Green said:

Do I miss sports? Absolutely, especially baseball, but surprisingly not as much as I thought I would.

I think a lot of people are starting to feel this way. You'd think that would create some urgency...but if anything comes from this, regular people are starting to see how truly out of touch professional athletes and the billionaire owners are. The players don't really want to play and the owners arent willing to lose a dime because they can afford to hold out. Just watch, the NFL is going to have a hard time getting going too. Maybe we'd be better off without sports in the long run. I wouldnt shed a tear.

• Upvote 2

I think they said the league can force the players to come back for a shortened schedule under the same agreement but pro-rated (something like that).  If they play a 48 game season, I think that would actually be pretty awesome.  I can't think of a better way to make the regular season mean more.  The NFL's 16 game schedule (soon to be 17) ensures that every game means something.  Baseball's normal 162 game season ensures that "the cream will rise to the top" and that's probably a good thing.  But I have no issue with one season being shortened and to see some pretty wild results.  Heck, I think 162 is too many games anyway.  Probably a lot of the reason for it is to fill up the sports schedule during the otherwise sports-barren summer months.  Probably 120 games would be a good number but of course the players and owners want more than that for revenue reasons.

As for the effect going forward, it probably indicates a strike next year but let's cross that bridge at the time.  The world seems to be changing quickly these days so both sides might be figure out a resolution just to have a season.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, Philc1 said:

I just feel really sorry for the players getting paid $10 million to play a non contact sport in 90 degree weather 

These franchises are worth billions of dollars too though so it's not like the owners are hurting.  Not every major leaguer makes that much money.  Some players probably make a few hundred thousand for a couple of years and then disappear from the league.  This is their livelihood and many of their careers are short.  They have to make money while they can.  I have no issue with the players holding out.  Who am I to tell them what to do regarding their livelihood.

OTOH, as a fan, it's in my best interest for the players to get less money because probably that will lower ticket prices.  Baseball ticket prices (like the price of everything these days) are way too high.  So are the concessions btw.  You've really gotta hand it to Arthur Blank for keeping concession prices low for Falcons' fans, despite opening a new stadium a couple of years ago.  

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

These franchises are worth billions of dollars too though so it's not like the owners are hurting.  Not every major leaguer makes that much money.  Some players probably make a few hundred thousand for a couple of years and then disappear from the league.  This is their livelihood and many of their careers are short.  They have to make money while they can.  I have no issue with the players holding out.  Who am I to tell them what to do regarding their livelihood.

OTOH, as a fan, it's in my best interest for the players to get less money because probably that will lower ticket prices.  Baseball ticket prices (like the price of everything these days) are way too high.  So are the concessions btw.  You've really gotta hand it to Arthur Blank for keeping concession prices low for Falcons' fans, despite opening a new stadium a couple of years ago.  

MLB minimum salary is $563,000. Most of the players making that aren’t that much better than most unemployed college players.  

80% of that is damn good money.  The owners have agreed to bare the cost while getting 0% gate receipts and no revenue fromconcessions which is 40% of mlb revenue.  NFLPA and NBAPA have already reached agreements to have a season.

The MLBPA is a greedy out of control monster.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The MLBPA is a greedy out of control monster.

As are the owners. As said may times, there is shared accountability of gross misconduct here. The owners negotiated in March  a contract compromise. They are now backing off that. 

I hate standing up for the owners, but there is shared accountability. Oh, and the owners just yesterday negotiated a HUGE raise with Turner for televising the Division Series. 

BTW, The NBA deal is not done, and is now facing player scrutiny. The NFL is also having problems as coaches are saying that the rules of engagement in practice are not practical.

Plenty of problems to go around.

MLB owners have the option to enact a 50 game (or so) season based on the what they agreed to in March. At least that should happen, and it also is a leverage point.

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm afraid that if we don't have baseball this year, we may not see it again until 2022.And if that happens, I don't think they'll have to worry about how many fans they may be able to safely have in a ballpark.

Why wouldn't we see it in 2021?

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why wouldn't we see it in 2021?

CBA expires this year,  If players and owners are so far apart on finding a way to have a 2020 season, it does not bode well for agreement on CBA for next season.  Could be a long time before we see baseball again.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't mind the DH for a shortened season.  But it opens the door for the MLB to install the DH for both leagues for 2021 and beyond, and that I do not support.  

Pretty much every amateur and major league in the world except the NL plays with the DH. It's coming no matter what. Sorry to burst your bubble.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

CBA expires this year,  If players and owners are so far apart on finding a way to have a 2020 season, it does not bode well for agreement on CBA for next season.  Could be a long time before we see baseball again.

The CBA expires after the 2021 season. 

December 1, 2021

A copy of the current CBA can be downloaded from the Players Association web site [1]. The first Basic Agreement was signed on February 21, 1968. The most recent Agreement was finalized on November 30, 2016 and will last until December 1, 2021.Feb 15, 2020
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

As are the owners. As said may times, there is shared accountability of gross misconduct here. The owners negotiated in March  a contract compromise. They are now backing off that. 

I hate standing up for the owners, but there is shared accountability. Oh, and the owners just yesterday negotiated a HUGE raise with Turner for televising the Division Series. 

BTW, The NBA deal is not done, and is now facing player scrutiny. The NFL is also having problems as coaches are saying that the rules of engagement in practice are not practical.

Plenty of problems to go around.

MLB owners have the option to enact a 50 game (or so) season based on the what they agreed to in March. At least that should happen, and it also is a leverage point.

The NBAPA, NFLPA and NHL unions all got deals done to resume the season.  Kyrie is an off balance headcase who won’t even play

MLBPA is an out of control train wreck whose goal is to stop baseball fans from seeing the game 2 out of the next 3 seasons just because of pure greed

Stick to defending the Red Sox for stealing signs

1 hour ago, Lith said:

If the mlbpa is this off the reservation now wait til there is no CBA.  Say bye to the 2022 season

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The NBAPA, NFLPA and NHL unions all got deals done to resume the season.  Kyrie is an off balance headcase who won’t even play

MLBPA is an out of control train wreck whose goal is to stop baseball fans from seeing the game 2 out of the next 3 seasons just because of pure greed

Stick to defending the Red Sox for stealing signs

And just to show how misinformed you are in comparison of the leagues:

-The NHL and NBA seasons were practically done. Only a handful of regular season games were left. The players have been paid. I know some NBA teams need to have a couple more games televised in order to fulfill their local TV contracts. 

-The NFL, right now, plans to play a full schedule. The teams will miss revenue of 8 games of tickets, parking and concessions, BUT, the largest portion of their income is TV deals. Which will still happen.

-MLB teams will lose EIGHT-ONE games of tickets, parking and concessions. That is a MUCH LARGER piece of pie that clubs are missing out on. 

You are comparing apples vs dinosaurs. Not even close

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Thank you for answering his question. As usual, you are one step ahead of me.?

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Thank you for answering his question. As usual, you are one step ahead of me.?

CBA doesn't expire till AFTER the 2021 season.

December 1, 2021

A copy of the current CBA can be downloaded from the Players Association web site [1]. The first Basic Agreement was signed on February 21, 1968. The most recent Agreement was finalized on November 30, 2016 and will last until December 1, 2021.Feb 15, 2020
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

CBA doesn't expire till AFTER the 2021 season.

December 1, 2021

Thanks. I have to stop listening to the voices in my head. Or is it MadDog Russo??

• Haha 1