What's Cookin'/Brewin', COVID-19 Edition

Looking for advice on how to keep a juicey Lucy style burger together.

I seasoned the meat and put the mince into a ball and padded out two flat round shapes, I out a little bit of cheddar cheese and mozzarella in the middle and then took the 2nd part of mince to cover it. I slowly went around the edges and moved the mince around to seal the party though when putting the patty on the pan I noticed the two layers of meat either side of the cheese started to come apart.

...is there a trick to ensure that they are sealed tight and won't separate when heat is applied.

11 hours ago, Tezza said:

I seasoned the meat and put the mince into a ball and padded out two flat round shapes, I out a little bit of cheddar cheese and mozzarella in the middle and then took the 2nd part of mince to cover it. I slowly went around the edges and moved the mince around to seal the party though when putting the patty on the pan I noticed the two layers of meat either side of the cheese started to come apart.

...is there a trick to ensure that they are sealed tight and won't separate when heat is applied.

enhanced-buzz-orig-13110-1374874250-18.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 8:11 PM, Tezza said:

Only thing I can think of is you over stuffed the patty.  Sealing the edges well (which it sounds like you did) should not separate or leak.  Maybe put the patties into the fridge for a bit to cool the meat and allow it to hold together better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Only thing I can think of is you over stuffed the patty.  Sealing the edges well (which it sounds like you did) should not separate or leak.  Maybe put the patties into the fridge for a bit to cool the meat and allow it to hold together better.

Sounds good! 

I have some small cuts of beef for a stew but was thinking of doing a dish in the crock-pot! 

I was thinking of placing the meat in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil, then putting on some salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder and then some McCormick's steak seasoning then sprinkle a little flour (I heard that holds the flavor well) then refrigerating over night. 

My plan was to add that to a crock-pot with some sliced onions and cook on low to serve with veggies? Any input on what you would do different or to accompany the meal? 

• Upvote 1

You can buy pizza crusts at Trader Joe’s and make your own pizzas. These are not bad. We did a curbside pickup at Dominos the other day but my daughter who did all the work (except pay) said this location was disorganized and she had to wait a long time for our pizza and their pizzas are not that big. But I’ve always been a big frozen pizza fan. And to me this is the best Covid option. Put on your toppings bake a couple of them cheaper, easier, safer and I like them. Cali Pizza Kitchen frozen pies are pretty good. 

19 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Sounds good! 

I have some small cuts of beef for a stew but was thinking of doing a dish in the crock-pot! 

I was thinking of placing the meat in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil, then putting on some salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder and then some McCormick's steak seasoning then sprinkle a little flour (I heard that holds the flavor well) then refrigerating over night. 

My plan was to add that to a crock-pot with some sliced onions and cook on low to serve with veggies? Any input on what you would do different or to accompany the meal? 

I'm the wrong guy to ask about slow cookers like crock-pots.  Sorry.  Have never used one.

As for the marinade:  Unless it's a rub, I prefer to use real garlic and onion rather than dried.  But that's just a personal preference.  What you're doing is perfectly fine.  Also, I'm really big on using fresh herbs, so might suggest adding some whole or chopped rosemary or thyme (maybe both).  Maybe even some dry red wine.

Great that you did not incorporate an acid, which can start to breakdown the meat over time.  You might try a bit of orange zest which works well with beef.  But with what you wrote, might be smarter to omit it.  

Finally, watch your salt.  Not too much.  You can always add a bit more before cooking.  Another option instead of salt could be to use a bit of soy sauce or tamari.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your dish.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm the wrong guy to ask about slow cookers like crock-pots.  Sorry.  Have never used one.

As for the marinade:  Unless it's a rub, I prefer to use real garlic and onion rather than dried.  But that's just a personal preference.  What you're doing is perfectly fine.  Also, I'm really big on using fresh herbs, so might suggest adding some whole or chopped rosemary or thyme (maybe both).  Maybe even some dry red wine.

Great that you did not incorporate an acid, which can start to breakdown the meat over time.  You might try a bit of orange zest which works well with beef.  But with what you wrote, might be smarter to omit it.  

Finally, watch your salt.  Not too much.  You can always add a bit more before cooking.  Another option instead of salt could be to use a bit of soy sauce or tamari.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your dish.

Fantastic post! 

I did forget to mention I was going to use a low sodium soy-sauce, I was contemplating adding sliced onions whilst I leave it to marinate over night though my concern was that the onions would go pinkish whilst being left in a dry marinade. 

I added everything I mentioned and the flour at the end was great because it helps add a thickness to the rub and keeps all the flavors intact to the meat. The plan is to slice an onion or two, pour a little bit of olive oil at the bottom of the crockpot and then add some onions, place the meat on top and then some more onion slices to cover the top of the meat, cook on low for about 3-4 hours and it should be good! 

My plan was to serve with veggies and brown rice but my wife is opting for mashed potatoes and green beans which sounds just as good! 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

The cherry is popped.   Nice work.  

Cheers, it tastes a lot better than it looks ...I added some corn starch and warm water which had some seasoning in it to thicken it up at the end. I used the McCormick's spicy steak seasoning and it gave it a really nice spicy/peppery taste. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Covid is long gone/irrelevant but I didn’t know where else to put this.
I made some Swedish Meatballs tonight for dinner.

They were….alright. Everything was almost perfect but I didn’t measure the sour cream I put into the gravy and instead of a savory sauce for the meatballs I ended up with a sour cream sauce that made my lips pucker. Still edible but just wasn’t as good as it could have been. My fault, I thought I could eyeball it and instead I messed it up. Still kinda proud of what I made regardless though lol.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:27 PM, Nolder said:

Covid is long gone/irrelevant but I didn’t know where else to put this.
I made some Swedish Meatballs tonight for dinner.

They were….alright. Everything was almost perfect but I didn’t measure the sour cream I put into the gravy and instead of a savory sauce for the meatballs I ended up with a sour cream sauce that made my lips pucker. Still edible but just wasn’t as good as it could have been. My fault, I thought I could eyeball it and instead I messed it up. Still kinda proud of what I made regardless though lol.

image.jpeg

Thats A Spicy Meatball Spicy GIF - Thats A Spicy Meatball Spicy Meatball  Spicy - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...