Kristian Dyer of SI Predicts Jets Move Down Twice in Round 1 With Latest Mock

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't disagree with that, but in today's NFL, teams that lack a true number one wide receiver but who have 4-5 legitimate targets for a QB to pick from can win games.  Especially if Darnold continues to play the way he has when the protection is good.

I would even go so far as to say they should consider taking advantage of the depth in this class and take a third receiver in the 6th round.  

Edwards

T. Johnson

Isaiah Hodgins or Isaiah Coulter for example.

Add that to what they already have, imrpoved O-line means improved run game which opens things up for Edwards/Perriman/Crowder/Herndon/Griffin.

All of that to go with new starting LT, edge and CB.

I was all in on a receiver early, but kind of liking the idea of getting premium positions early on and getting starting receivers after top 3 picks.

I'm definitely on board with stocking up on receivers, I just feel that after the big 4 OLS (Wirfs, Becton, Wills, Thomas) there's a significant drop off.

If we trade back, likely mid to later 1st, we won't get any of those guys. But we can still grab one of the tops WRs. If we take a WR with our #1 we can still get Jackson, Cleveland, or Wilson with our 2nd.

I'm fine with trading back either way, be it once or twice, I think it's the right move with the current roster. I'd just like to see us nab a WR with some superstar potential, and I think there's a better chance we'll get that guy if we take a WR earlier on.

I do see your point though, We don't need a true #1 for Darnold to be successful.. But wouldn't it be nice to have a game changer for him to be able to rely on every week?

• Upvote 1

Not related to a trade down, but I just saw this 3 round mock on PFF. How would we feel about this:

Pick 11: Jedrick Wills, OT, ALA

Pick 48: Laviska Shenault, WR, COLO

Pick 68: Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina

Pick 79: Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-pff-2020-nfl-three-round-mock-draft-colts-jalen-hurts-eagles-jacob-eason

FWIW, LaCanfora just put out his “likely” top ten, and it ends up leaving Andrew Thomas and all the receivers on the board at 11. Herbert, Simmons, and Derrick Brown all go before us, Becton to the Giants. They key is whether teams bite on Herbert and Brown. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2020-heres-an-insiders-look-at-how-the-first-10-picks-could-unfold/amp/

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, LaCanfora just put out his “likely” top ten, and it ends up leaving Andrew Thomas and all the receivers on the board at 11. Herbert, Simmons, and Derrick Brown all go before us, Becton to the Giants. They key is whether teams bite on Herbert and Brown. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2020-heres-an-insiders-look-at-how-the-first-10-picks-could-unfold/amp/

Herbert definitely goes. Could see Tua drop. I think 3 tackles go, with Wills as the guy who could drop. Okudah and SImmons definitely potential drops. Lamb off the board. Jeudy and Ruggs will be there at 11. Gut feeling. AKA kind of worst case scenario. How does Derrick Brown go top 10 off that combine?

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Herbert definitely goes. Could see Tua drop. I think 3 tackles go, with Wills as the guy who could drop. Okudah and SImmons definitely potential drops. Lamb off the board. Jeudy and Ruggs will be there at 11. Gut feeling. AKA kind of worst case scenario. How does Derrick Brown go top 10 off that combine?

LaCanfora refers to Brown as “as safe and clean a pick as you could imagine,” which is odd. It only makes sense if the Panthers are trying to tank for Trevor Lawrence, which they should do anyway

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

LaCanfora refers to Brown as “as safe and clean a pick as you could imagine,” which is odd. It only makes sense if the Panthers are trying to tank for Trevor Lawrence, which they should do anyway

Well that sounds familiar. Could be the guy that teams dont really want who they're hyping up in hopes he doesnt fall to them. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Well that sounds familiar. Could be the guy that teams dont really want who they're hyping up in hopes he doesnt fall to them. 

Definitely a strange thing to include (regarding Brown) unless some old-school GM thinks he’s Ted Washington. It’s also weird that we keep reading quotes about how great these receivers are, but none of them make it into the top ten? 

Dyer has Jets with two tradedowns in round #1.  And Jets accumulating 6 picks in those talent laden first 3 rounds.  If JD drafts well, Jets could potentially end up with six starters from those picks.  Maybe 4 Day 1 starters.  And two gradually eased into starter roles later in the season.  Or getting enough playing time to be starters to open the following season. 

And the remainder of those 11 or 10 picks...if not one a future starter.  Then at least solid depth pieces and/or STers.

IMO this would almost be historic...and probably too good to be true.  It would be best draft in ages.  And accelerate Jets projections to being a perennial playoff team to compete for the AFCE...and beyond.

?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

That draft. Fill a bag with dogsh*t and go, "Hey, FULL bag, though, nice."

Right. After the OT it gets weird man.  If we trade back all that way to grab a DT, Edge, two CB's, a RB, a LB and a TE I would puke.  This mock draft is just dumb.  I would love Bryce Hall at CB and I'd even like an Edge guy but this would be an opportunity to grab Ruiz/Hennesse AND Van Jefferson or Donovan Peoples-Jones types 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Definitely a strange thing to include (regarding Brown) unless some old-school GM thinks he’s Ted Washington. It’s also weird that we keep reading quotes about how great these receivers are, but none of them make it into the top ten? 

Have we heard anybody saying any of these WRs are going to be elite?  Sounds more like there's a whole bunch of solid WR1's and WR2's but no future HOFers, which pushes the top guys down the board.  

I've been an SI subscriber for longer than many of you have been alive.

They've never been more irrelevant. Now that they've become a monthly publication, I'm simply waiting for my subscription to end, then I'm done. I rarely even page through it when it arrives.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:57 AM, 68JET11 said:

I like trading down twice better with 1st ATL, second with DAL.

image.png.740d26c912facaea9376bcba755a1f8d.png

wishful thinking.  i don't think wills lasts to 11 let alone 17.  but who knows.  this draft is deep at wr and oline and except for a couple of top players the rest are pretty much the same.  and the top guys just aren't off the charts good.