Go on the record for a Jamal Adams trade (with analysis)

Looking at the explanation and analysis of each scenario below what is your preference if offered a 1st and 3rd for Jamal  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you choose

• Jamal Adams and new contract
    • Two draft picks in 2020 draft (1st and 3rd) and $10 million in saved cap

Happily trade him for a 1st and 3rd.  No brainer to me.  

I’ve asked this of people before - but here’s the one question I would ask anyone that’s against the trade.

If we didn’t have him, and knowing the current talent level on this team - would you trade Our 1st and 3rd and agree to pay him $15mm a year?

Because it’s the same thing....

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold's 2nd contract is coming up very fast.

The Jets don't have "ample" cap space.  That was assured the moment Maccagnan signed CJ Mosley.  

Big wildcard is when and what a Darnold extension will look like. If he shows same improvement as from year 1 to year 2 (7 point gain in QB rating, for example) an extension will be huge and possibly come as soon as next offseason. If he doesn't or marginally improves or even regresses, they'll probably let him play year 4 while considering whether to exercise the 5th year option or extend in 2021.

• Upvote 1

does the first rounder, presumably pick 17 plus a third rounder equal the same value as the 6th pick of the draft?  doesn't seem so. granted if adams is traded his new team only has his service for 3 or so seasons given the original contract plus a franchise year.  imo they only consider trades with greater value than the 6 pick.  a herschel walker trade works.  anything less doesn't.  maybe i'm overvaluing adams but the guy is one of the top players at his position and safeties can dominate their side of the ball (see polumalu, sanders, matheiu, etc.).  plus, if the reports are to be believed he is one of the team's leaders.  so there are some intrinsics that make his value much higher than just a few draft picks.  finally, the draft is still no sure way to get a top player.  there is always a risk in drafting as the jets have seen over the past 20 years.

• Upvote 1

I prefer keeping him with a new contract.  Unfortunately, I do not believe that is what the Jets will do.  I think they drag this out and since he is under contract, expect him to play this year.  Next year, at this time, we will be discussing this again.

With Greg Williams running the defense, I believe he can get more out of an Adams replacement than most coaches would.  Staying with our #11, I would grab one of the WR's  and then even flip the second #1 into even  more picks.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  The Dolphins traded Minkah, a 4th and 2021 7th for a 1st, 5th, and 2021 6th.

A 1st and 3rd for Adams would be more than enough if you're using the Fitzpatrick deal as a baseline.

Yeah lol, idk what the hell I was remembering.

My bad.

• Upvote 1

I will officially go on the record and say trade Jamal Adams.

IF the scenario were to play out, and the trade went to Dallas, that would mean us getting picks #17 and #82

If that were the case, I would then go with Jerry Jeudy at #11, and Austin Jackson at #18.

I would then use pick #82 on whichever Edge Rusher, CB, OL, WR, or TE that is best.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Been saying that with @jetstream23 for a while now.  If we can bag Tyron and a 1st or 2nd, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

OMG, @Defense Wins Championships your posts are just way to long to even begin reading...  2nd, just because all the previous GM's had horrible track records of bad 2nd round picks, doesn't mean the streak continues....

Do not engage that troll. If you make a salient point he will not respond. It's like arguing with a robo call. 

• Haha 2

I'd gleefully take the first and third, and then use one of my third rounders to move #48 near or into the first round. Potentially filling starting spots at OT, WR, and CB before the third round. 

If no trade this year, I try to work out a contract that keeps him worthy of a trade for other teams that won't hurt my cap too much in the future. The current franchise tag number for a safety is under $12M, meanwhile people are throwing around numbers like $15M+ for Jamal as if that's okay. That's ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, nico002 said:

If it’s a draft day trade that allows us to get a top WR and OT I pull the trigger 

We can get both of those without trading him. Anyone ahead of us is not going to trade the pick for Adams so we don't  move up and there is no way any of the top 10 will trade back so far that they won't  be in the top 10. This isn't  a trade back draft unless you are trading back just 2 or 3 spots. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Doesn't make much sense that most want him traded, but yet they think they can get 2 first's for him. If he's worth 2 first's then he should be worth the money he's looking for from us as his value on this team. I don't think that's true in my book, as I think QB, LT and EDGE are worth more to a team then a SS. I'm not thinking we'll ever get 2 first's for him either. One good player for another and a high draft pick is all I think we'll get for him.

I think there's a lot of hope that some team will make an emotional, bad decision.  I don't see any way a team gives two 1st round picks for a guy who's career highlight is causing one of Daniel Jones' 18 fumbles last season.  

I wouldn't pay him this offseason.  If he holds out, so be it.  If someone blows you away with a deal prior to this draft, you take it.  Next year, I take the best deal I can get for him.  Because, just as I don't think he's worth the two 1st round picks, I don't think he's worth 15M+ so long as there is a salary cap.

• Upvote 2

Do not engage that troll. If you make a salient point he will not respond. It's like arguing with a robo call. 

It's really simple ... Two camps trade Adams cause we hate him and offense is all we need and get draft picks to hope on ... And ... Keep Adams, the best player on the team, and build around him.

There are only a handful of people that are level-headed and can see benefits to both sides.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

And I want the pom poms back he stole from the Jets cheerleaders 

That is not an unreasonable ask at all.

The guy was the 6th overall pick and is a proven all pro and is young right?

Just to trade for the 6th pick in the draft, say you are picking 20, is going to cost you more than 1,3,3 next year.

I want Jamal Adams to anchor our defense moving forward. He's a star defender that fills an extraordinary amount of roles for our team. We saw what this defense looked like when he missed time to the ankle sprain, not sure why people are excited to see more of that moving forward. Spare me the "He's only a safety" stuff. The guy is our best S, Edge defender, and LB as well...

38 minutes ago, AFerg726 said:

We saw what this defense looked like when he missed time to the ankle sprain, not sure why people are excited to see more of that moving forward. 

We lost to Miami with Jamal Adams in the lineup.  We beat the Dolphins when Jamal was out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is not an unreasonable ask at all.

The guy was the 6th overall pick and is a proven all pro and is young right?

Just to trade for the 6th pick in the draft, say you are picking 20, is going to cost you more than 1,3,3 next year.

and a beer

14 minutes ago, AFerg726 said:

We aren't paying the QB yet and we can address the offense in the draft. Without Adams we don't have a defense.

lol.  Teams can and do survive just fine without elite Box Safety play.  

What we can't do is ever get the defense to an elite level without CB's and EDGE rushers.  And that's true with or without Jamal Adams on the roster.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Teams can and do survive just fine without elite Box Safety play.  

What we can't do is ever get the defense to an elite level without CB's and EDGE rushers.  And that's true with or without Jamal Adams on the roster.

I think that you severely understating what Adams means to this defense. If we trade him for a haul of picks, so be it, but I am not expecting to deal our best player for picks and end up the better for it...

1 minute ago, AFerg726 said:

I think that you severely understating what Adams means to this defense. If we trade him for a haul of picks, so be it, but I am not expecting to deal our best player for picks and end up the better for it...

I think you severely overrate what Adams means to a defense.  Being a "jack of all trades" is nice.  I'd rather have masters of one.  A guy who gets to the QB.  A guy who gets INT's.  Etc.  

And no, Adams is not an EDGE rusher.  Offenses will be ready for that next season.  And we won't be facing the likes of Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins all year.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'd gleefully take the first and third, and then use one of my third rounders to move #48 near or into the first round. Potentially filling starting spots at OT, WR, and CB before the third round. 

If no trade this year, I try to work out a contract that keeps him worthy of a trade for other teams that won't hurt my cap too much in the future. The current franchise tag number for a safety is under $12M, meanwhile people are throwing around numbers like $15M+ for Jamal as if that's okay. That's ridiculous. 

I think this encapsulates the pro-trade argument perfectly. Nobody is talking about “giving him away” or throwing him out or not re-signing him. Nobody is saying he’s a bad player. It’s simply about resource allocation and asset management for this particular Jets team. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think you severely overrate what Adams means to a defense.  Being a "jack of all trades" is nice.  I'd rather have masters of one.  A guy who gets to the QB.  A guy who gets INT's.  Etc.  

And no, Adams is not an EDGE rusher.  Offenses will be ready for that next season.  And we won't be facing the likes of Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins all year.

When we were children, we thought Swiss Army Knives were about the coolest thing in the world.  Now, as an adult who actually may need to accomplish things, you realize they're worthless in just about every situation.

• Haha 2

I like Jamal, I really do. And, I also much prefer having proven players on the team than potentially good players that draft picks yield. With that said, Jamal just doesn't move the needle for us. While he's decent in coverage, great at stopping the run, and a good blitzer, that really doesn't help out our team enough to warrant the opportunity cost of not trading him. With a trade, even if all picks don't pan out, we have a good chance at significantly improving our team. It's a deep draft, and we can make a big jump this year.

That's what I want to say. But, my gut tells me different. He's a very versatile player. We're looking at him as "just a box safety," when he's actually more like a safety/OLB hybrid that can defend the pass, stop the run, and blitz the QB. Hard to find guys that can do that much for a defense. You can put him damn near anywhere, and he'll succeed. And to add to that, he's already a proven player. Even if we got a 1st and a 3rd, what are the chances that we'll get players with those picks that even sniff the impact Jamal has? Yeah, sure, we could also use his cap for some depth, but we're talking maybe a low-end starter. Is 2-3 probably-low-end starters really worth giving up Jamal? I'm not quite sure.

I can truly see both side of the argument, so, in the mean time, I'm fence-sitting.

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Your post is so bad, it's laughable. Ten words into it you lost all credibility. 

Name two things that he does that makes him a top talent not just at his position but in the league. You have to do this because the argument you just made implies he is a top rated player irregardless to his position. Choose whatever reasons you want but suggesting that you maybe point to stats, in game impact and where he fits in the top 10 league wide. 

thank you so much and happy Passover 

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

It's really simple ... Two camps trade Adams cause we hate him and offense is all we need and get draft picks to hope on ... And ... Keep Adams, the best player on the team, and build around him.

There are only a handful of people that are level-headed and can see benefits to both sides.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I actually think there are more rational people they tend to get drowned out by the sheer volume of extreme posts by the loud minority. 

• Upvote 1