Under The Radar Thoughts

KRL

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

In this time with facilities still closed a couple of issues that are
"under the radar" will impact how teams prep for the season:

- How good are team's IT and video departments?  Have they been keeping up
with the advances in the industry?  Can they run the team's operations
smoothly with everyone decentralized?  

The NFL is multi-billion dollar industry. If your IT team can't produce some sort of competency and deliver a Cisco WebEx, or a Microsoft Teams, or a Skype for Business solution, or even a Zoom conference, they should be sacked before they were hired. Pretty much everything can be cloud hosted, and you need a device with a camera and a screen to join it and see people. It isn't rocket science.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I heard it is going to be done over zoom, now if this is the case the NFL is screwed. Zoom is getting hacked all the time.  The New York Rangers did a conference call with their newest signee K’Andre Miller who happens to be an African American, and some piece of sh*t hacked in, and called Miller the N word, now the NFL can’t afford breaches like this during their most important non game day event.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I heard it is going to be done over zoom, now if this is the case the NFL is screwed. Zoom is getting hacked all the time.  The New York Rangers did a conference call with their newest signee K’Andre Miller who happens to be an African American, and some piece of sh*t hacked in, and called Miller the N word, now the NFL can’t afford breaches like this during their most important non game day event.

The video part of the draft is overblown.  All deals and picks whether it's with another team or the NFL are done via a landline.  The video aspect is for within an organization as they're discussing players.  They can also do that via conference call if there are issues.  But picking players and making trades should have no delay and run like normal. The one thing each GM may have to do is get multiple landlines to keep members of the organization on one line while fielding and making calls on the other.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

In this time with facilities still closed a couple of issues that are
"under the radar" will impact how teams prep for the season:

- How good are team's IT and video departments?  Have they been keeping up
with the advances in the industry?  Can they run the team's operations
smoothly with everyone decentralized?  

- Is your locker room filled with players who are good workers and
self-starters?  Are they going to be working out and in their playbooks
even without coaches checking up on them?

- How good is your coaching staff in the classroom?  Can they convey/install
their schemes in a "virtual classroom" with everyone spread across the
country?

- With rookie camps and OTA's being impacted I believe players that display
certain traits will be in higher demand in the draft:

* Maturity and being a self-starter.  Have they developed a reputation in college
    for doing the right thing and not needing a coach breathing down their neck

* Technique at their position.  The more proficient a player is the easier
    it will be in preparing them for the season.  A coach isn't going to have
    time to restructure a players technique  

* Good positional strength.  The strength coaches aren't going to have time to
    put them through a full program.  Do they have a decent level of strength to
    get onto the field    

Well. Number 1  our IT sucks balls.

How many press conferences have we all watched where you can't hear anything. 

10 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Well. Number 1  our IT sucks balls.

How many press conferences have we all watched where you can't hear anything. 

I don't think they do though. They have a state of the art building and paid for it. They have invested in technology and they have good people working there.

How does that compare to what the other teams have done? I don't know, have no way of knowing. But the Jets I.T. department isn't bad.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

The video part of the draft is overblown.  All deals and picks whether it's with another team or the NFL are done via a landline.  The video aspect is for within an organization as they're discussing players.  They can also do that via conference call if there are issues.  But picking players and making trades should have no delay and run like normal. The one thing each GM may have to do is get multiple landlines to keep members of the organization on one line while fielding and making calls on the other.

Not talking about delays, talking about someone hacking into a specific teams zoom feed to get intel.  It WILL happen over zoom.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Not talking about delays, talking about someone hacking into a specific teams zoom feed to get intel.  It WILL happen over zoom.

It is not going to be on Zoom but likely on a Microsoft product called Teams and will likely be very well productized in the broadcast.

My fear is that a team or teams will intentionally sabotage the dry run to force the NFL to delay doing the draft until it can be done live and they can do medicals and go to pro days.

I think it is still 50/50 that 2 weeks from today we are all counting down the hours to the draft

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

+1

We specifically will not use Zoom because of security concerns, but people keep raving about it and asking us to use it. I keep saying, no we will use the secure conference line.  I don't need to dress up like a newscaster with a shirt tie and jacket and no pants because some putz insists on having video.  I was thinking that the question will be "which team has better hackers and can get the other team's intel?"  So, probably the Patriots.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't think they do though. They have a state of the art building and paid for it. They have invested in technology and they have good people working there.

How does that compare to what the other teams have done? I don't know, have no way of knowing. But the Jets I.T. department isn't bad.

??? Tike will tell, I'll agree with you after the first post game presser goes off. Then we will know 

It’s not a matter of how good your IT department is. It’s a matter of figuring this stuff out with such little time, barely being able to do test runs and adjusting on the fly. 
I don’t think teams are gonna draft for this situation. It’s too late in the process for that. 
Also if we’re talking about how a team will adapt to not having camps, otas, eta...that probably means the season is in doubt. But that’s a whole other story. 

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s not a matter of how good your IT department is. It’s a matter of figuring this stuff out with such little time, barely being able to do test runs and adjusting on the fly. 
I don’t think teams are gonna draft for this situation. It’s too late in the process for that. 
Also if we’re talking about how a team will adapt to not having camps, otas, eta...that probably means the season is in doubt. But that’s a whole other story. 

Especially for all the teams with brand new coaching staffs.