Peter King thinks the Jets are the favorites to trade for Trent Williams

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/two-teams-peter-king-thinks-could-emerge-potential-trent-williams-trade

Two teams Peter King thinks could emerge in potential Trent Williams trade

The question of will Redskins left tackle Trent Williams be traded is no longer an if, but when.

If Washington is unable to move the seven-time Pro Bowler over the next couple of weeks, the NFL Draft seems to be a likely time for the left tackle to be dealt. The Redskins don't have a second-round pick due to the Montez Sweat trade from a year ago and could be looking for one in return in a potential deal for Williams.

NBC Sports Peter King believes the Redskins should be able to find a trade partner for Williams, whether that's before or during the draft.

"I would be surprised if they weren't able to trade him," King told NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay.

The longtime NFL analyst went on to name two teams that Redskins fans should keep an eye on in a potential deal for the 31-year-old, with the first being the New York Jets.

"I'd really watch the Jets," King said. "It makes so much sense with the Jets."

New York signed tackle George Fant to a three-year, $27 million contract in free agency, but the tight-end-converted-lineman could shift to right tackle should the Jets be able to acquire Williams. The Jets interest in Williams isn't new, either. Just a day after the longtime Redskin was given permission to seek a trade in early March, the Jets were rumored to be interested in the left tackle.

Left tackle is a position the Jets needed to address this offseason, and the signing of Fant has led to more questions than answers. In 2019, New York allowed an average of over three sacks a game, the fourth-worst mark in the league. After signing prized free-agent running back Le'Veon Bell a year ago, the rusher was unable to maximize his talent behind one of the worst offensive lines in football. Jets' rushers averaged just 0.7 yards before contact a year ago, the NFL's worst mark.

The Seattle Seahawks were the other team King believes could be eyeing a deal with Williams. 

"Honestly, I'd watch Seattle, too," King said. "Seattle is forever in search of an offensive line fix."

Trading Williams to the Pacific Northwest would be the second deal between the Redskins and Seahawks this offseason, as Washington shipped disgruntled cornerback Quinton Dunbar to Seattle for a fifth-round pick a couple of weeks ago. Dunbar, like Williams, also wanted a new contract. Both have one year remaining on their current deal, each with zero guaranteed money.

Seattle currently has Duane Brown at left tackle, and he's been above average at the position since the Seahawks traded for him in 2017. But Brown, who has two years remaining on his contract, will turn 35 before the 2020 season begins. Williams is simply better and three years younger, which could intrigue Seattle into making a deal.

Williams held out all of the 2019 season after Redskins team doctors misdiagnosed a cancerous growth on his brain for nearly six years. He reported to Washington minutes before the trade deadline last season and planned to return, but the Redskins placed him on the Non-Football Injury list days later, ending his season without No. 71 him playing a snap.

The longtime left tackle was given permission to seek a trade by the Redskins last month but hasn't been able to find a trade partner for what the Redskins feel is fair value for the seven-time Pro Bowler. Last week, Williams' agent ripped to Redskins for "not acting in good faith" and blamed the lack of a trade solely on the Redskins.

King believes that once Williams is eventually moved, he should be able to net the Redskins either a second or third-round pick.

"He should still be able to get a mid-to-low 2 or a very high 3," King said. "That would be my expectation that would happen."

That Giants 3rd round pick could be enough to fetch Williams. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, maury77 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/two-teams-peter-king-thinks-could-emerge-potential-trent-williams-trade

Two teams Peter King thinks could emerge in potential Trent Williams trade

The question of will Redskins left tackle Trent Williams be traded is no longer an if, but when.

If Washington is unable to move the seven-time Pro Bowler over the next couple of weeks, the NFL Draft seems to be a likely time for the left tackle to be dealt. The Redskins don't have a second-round pick due to the Montez Sweat trade from a year ago and could be looking for one in return in a potential deal for Williams.

NBC Sports Peter King believes the Redskins should be able to find a trade partner for Williams, whether that's before or during the draft.

"I would be surprised if they weren't able to trade him," King told NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay.

The longtime NFL analyst went on to name two teams that Redskins fans should keep an eye on in a potential deal for the 31-year-old, with the first being the New York Jets.

"I'd really watch the Jets," King said. "It makes so much sense with the Jets."

New York signed tackle George Fant to a three-year, $27 million contract in free agency, but the tight-end-converted-lineman could shift to right tackle should the Jets be able to acquire Williams. The Jets interest in Williams isn't new, either. Just a day after the longtime Redskin was given permission to seek a trade in early March, the Jets were rumored to be interested in the left tackle.

Left tackle is a position the Jets needed to address this offseason, and the signing of Fant has led to more questions than answers. In 2019, New York allowed an average of over three sacks a game, the fourth-worst mark in the league. After signing prized free-agent running back Le'Veon Bell a year ago, the rusher was unable to maximize his talent behind one of the worst offensive lines in football. Jets' rushers averaged just 0.7 yards before contact a year ago, the NFL's worst mark.

The Seattle Seahawks were the other team King believes could be eyeing a deal with Williams. 

"Honestly, I'd watch Seattle, too," King said. "Seattle is forever in search of an offensive line fix."

Trading Williams to the Pacific Northwest would be the second deal between the Redskins and Seahawks this offseason, as Washington shipped disgruntled cornerback Quinton Dunbar to Seattle for a fifth-round pick a couple of weeks ago. Dunbar, like Williams, also wanted a new contract. Both have one year remaining on their current deal, each with zero guaranteed money.

Seattle currently has Duane Brown at left tackle, and he's been above average at the position since the Seahawks traded for him in 2017. But Brown, who has two years remaining on his contract, will turn 35 before the 2020 season begins. Williams is simply better and three years younger, which could intrigue Seattle into making a deal.

Williams held out all of the 2019 season after Redskins team doctors misdiagnosed a cancerous growth on his brain for nearly six years. He reported to Washington minutes before the trade deadline last season and planned to return, but the Redskins placed him on the Non-Football Injury list days later, ending his season without No. 71 him playing a snap.

The longtime left tackle was given permission to seek a trade by the Redskins last month but hasn't been able to find a trade partner for what the Redskins feel is fair value for the seven-time Pro Bowler. Last week, Williams' agent ripped to Redskins for "not acting in good faith" and blamed the lack of a trade solely on the Redskins.

King believes that once Williams is eventually moved, he should be able to net the Redskins either a second or third-round pick.

"He should still be able to get a mid-to-low 2 or a very high 3," King said. "That would be my expectation that would happen."

That Giants 3rd round pick could be enough to fetch Williams. 

Ok Pete. So we still need someone to play the other 6-8 games after Trent is injured. Any other hot takes! Pete?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

If they were going to do this then I'd like to see it done prior to the draft.  It would free up the #11 pick to many options and they would not have to be forced into taking a tackle early. 

They aren't being forced into taking a tackle early as things currently stand right now. If they think Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs is the best player on the board than that is who they should take.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

If they were going to do this then I'd like to see it done prior to the draft.  It would free up the #11 pick to many options and they would not have to be forced into taking a tackle early. 

Im sure they know what Washington wants to make the trade.  That price isnt going up and Washington is going to check with all interested parties prior to trading him for less than they are currently asking.  Maybe they wait till after the draft and offer a draft pick from next years draft?  

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jets' rushers averaged just 0.7 yards before contact a year ago, the NFL's worst mark.

the scary thing about that...  is you do a bell curve with 0.7 as teh apex and you see the large # of carries that contact was behind the LOS

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but do we really want to give up anything for a guy who is 32 years old, hasn’t played in over a year, recovering from cancer? Oh yeah he wants to get paid too. I wish no ill will on the guy, he’s been through a lot, but his trade value is near zero in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not to mention the money we will have to pay this 32 year old Tackle, who is injury prone and hasn't played in over a year.

I would give up a 5th round draft pick for Trent, and that is generous.  Who knows, maybe he stays healthy and plays another 4 years?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Trading for Trent Williams and loading up on weapons in the draft would almost immediately launch this team to the next level

if we can trade a third for him it would be acceptable to me assuming we take CeeDee or Jeudy round 1 and a developmental tackle round 2. Other third round pick can be a second WR or CB

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but do we really want to give up anything for a guy who is 32 years old, hasn’t played in over a year, recovering from cancer? Oh yeah he wants to get paid too. I wish no ill will on the guy, he’s been through a lot, but his trade value is near zero in my opinion.

I agree, Trent is turning 32, however not playing for a year is actually a good thing. There's the games his missed then there's the games he had to play through server pain. In fact in 2016 he had an injury that was so bad that he didn't practice the entire season but tough it out to play the games. All that pain accumulates.

Another good example is Jason Peter who had the same label. The most games he started was at 24 years young playing in all 16. Then after missing the entire season it was at age 31 and 32 he was able to once again play all 16 games.

Not to say the same will happen to Williams but there's  the positive spin on him missing the year and it wasn't for any joints, bone, muscle or ligament damage.  

With that said the compensation has to go down. Plus we've already spoke to his reps directly to see what can be done contractually. Then we've also invested 3 second rounders and a top 10 pick on a QB who many have said his failures are a product of his surroundings cast and play calling. In a make or break year lets provide some ammo if the price is right. Not 100% convice on trading for him with a 3rd but wouldn't rule it out. Just keeps our options open.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I think he would have trade value because if he were to become a free agent he almost certainly wouldn't be choosing us. The way we handled the Osemele and Enunwa situations last year probably don't work in our favor. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

King doesn’t even pretend to have made a phone call about this; he’s just throwing it out there like a fan blogger. The suggestion about Seattle is even stranger, because they have Duane Brown. 

Incarcerated Bob > Peter King

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

My hope is that the Jets have an offer on the table for the Redskins to take pick 3a (or less) for Williams and that offer stays on the table until the Jets are on the clock at 11.  Skins don't bite, Jets draft a LT.  Skins bite, Jets go BPA.

Trading Leo for Trent and then still drafting a tackle to develop is ideal.  Add some playmakers and the jets could actually contend for the division.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

May be speculation on King’s part, but there’s no denying that he’s one of the most well connected guys around the league.

I can easily envision Douglas wanting his top rated WR over his 3rd, 4th or even 5th rated OT at #11. I can also easily see him preferring to trade a 3rd for Williams over relying on Fant or some 2nd/3rd round rookie to protect Darnold’s blindside.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

neither NYJ nor SEA make any sense as a Trent Williams trade destination 

my gut feeling is Tampa Bay

they have no right tackle after Demar Dotson retired. They can move Donovan Smith over to RT and rely on TW to protect TB12's blind side. 

that's how you make a baseless rumor, it has to make some kind of sense. 

• Upvote 1

Peter King is an idiot. Douglas has clearly shown he doesn't think 'fixing' the o-line in a year is feasible and he's 'upping the baseline' of talent. If they go after a high priced o-lineman, it will be next year when they better target a problem position compared to whole line being a gaping hole.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Don't you think you are looking at this backwards?  If they have the tackle they like sitting here at #11, they don't need to trade.  If he is gone, take the WR and pull the trigger on the trade.

• Upvote 3

It's a nice option to have on the table to give us some flexibility on draft day. We might have some good trade down offers to pick  up some picks. Having this option could make those more viable if there's risk of missing out on a top OT. I wouldn't give them more than a 5th or 6th round pick at this point though. He could just end up getting cut.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's a nice option to have on the table to give us some flexibility on draft day. We might have some good trade down offers to pick  up some picks. Having this option could make those more viable if there's risk of missing out on a top OT. I wouldn't give them more than a 5th or 6th round pick at this point though. He could just end up getting cut.

I would rather sign Jason peters to a one year deal and still have that flexibility that you speak of in the draft. JD has history with him as well, and knows what kind of player he is.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you think you are looking at this backwards?  If they have the tackle they like sitting here at #11, they don't need to trade.  If he is gone, take the WR and pull the trigger on the trade.

If im the Redskins the price goes up as soon as the Jets Tackle isn't there in round 1

Just now, choon328 said:

If im the Redskins the price goes up as soon as the Jets Tackle isn't there in round 1

You have to have the contingent deal in place.  Then, if the Redskins back out they will (a) lose trust around the league and (b) if they had a better deal they would already have taken it.  I kind of prefer having the same type of deal in place with Peters.  If we don't find the guy we like, we will give you $x amount for the year.  Personally, I wouldn't give up the higher 3rd for Williams.  Not when he is looking for a raise after a year plus on the beach.