Peter King thinks the Jets are the favorites to trade for Trent Williams

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

and yet he hasn't signed him.

True.  But depending on how the draft works out, he could be on JDs radar.  If we end up drafting WR at 11, and then an OT that may need a year to develop, I could see us signing him for a year to help the rookie.  Or maybe JD wants to wait and see which OT is available.  If Andrew Thomas is our pick, he is a plug and play OT from day one.  No need then to sign a vet.  But point well taken.  

36 minutes ago, flgreen said:

After the Kalil disaster, if Douglas gave up a 2nd, and paid a monster contract to this guy, I would lose a lot of faith in Douglas.

Stay away.  This is a guy looking for a big payday to retire on.

I would trade one of the thirds if I could get an agreement that the Jets get to do a medical exam before any contract is negotiated.  I think people around here are forgetting just how good this guy was.  I'm not going to assume he's going to stink because he took a year off.  And he's not a wide receiver at 31.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I would trade one of the thirds if I could get an agreement that the Jets get to do a medical exam before any contract is negotiated.  I think people around here are forgetting just how good this guy was.  I'm not going to assume he's going to stink because he took a year off.  And he's not a wide receiver at 31.

No he's not a WR, and neither were Mangold or D'Brick.  Think both were done around 32. And they didn't have brain cancer.

It would be major dumb  to give up assets and a BIG contract to this guy.  Don't want to pay a player BIG  money for what   he's done in the past, for another team.

LOL How many times have the Jets done that very thing.  It's like it's in the CBA.  Year before you retire you get a free $10-15M in New York.  

31 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I’d love the first round flexibility this trade would allow the Jets to have, but no way am I giving up a second rounder on top of a massive contract for a 32yo coming off a one year hiatus.  I don’t even want to give up the higher third rounder, but that might be necessary if Cleveland is in the hunt.

No way.  I’m not giving up any premium picks.  A late rounder ok but we need our premium picks 

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Trading for Trent Williams and loading up on weapons in the draft would almost immediately launch this team to the next level

For the 3 games that Trent is healthy next year, maybe.  

Conditional 5th rounder is as high as I go for an aging OT that wants to get paid.  Especially since the team doctors won't be able to get a look at him until the Summer, at earliest.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

The longtime NFL analyst went on to name two teams that Redskins fans should keep an eye on in a potential deal for the 31-year-old, with the first being the New York Jets.

"I'd really watch the Jets," King said. "It makes so much sense with the Jets."

Well there you go, done deal

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Trading for Trent Williams and loading up on weapons in the draft would almost immediately launch this team to the next level

I think if the Jets do not land a Day 1 starting LT in the draft, you will see Williams traded for or Peters signed.

• Upvote 1

peter king is a patsie troll.  he is for anything that hurts the jets.  this guy williams is 31.  just how many seasons as a top player does he have left?  it's better if the jets keep their draft picks and re-sign a guy like beachum until their drafted players are ready to take over.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

peter king is a patsie troll.  he is for anything that hurts the jets.  this guy williams is 31.  just how many seasons as a top player does he have left?  it's better if the jets keep their draft picks and re-sign a guy like beachum until their drafted players are ready to take over.

If they can get Beachum for real cheap back up money, sure why not.  Fant will be the starter opening day

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's a nice option to have on the table to give us some flexibility on draft day. We might have some good trade down offers to pick  up some picks. Having this option could make those more viable if there's risk of missing out on a top OT. I wouldn't give them more than a 5th or 6th round pick at this point though. He could just end up getting cut.

If you could get him for a real late pick you can do the deal before the draft. Then you can play chicken on the contract until after the draft.  Pay him if you need him, low ball him if Edoga is going to start. FWIW, I lean towards not going for either of these older guys until needed.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If they can get Beachum for real cheap back up money, sure why not.  Fant will be the starter opening day

yep.  i just don't have a very warm and fuzzy feeling with them going into the season with fant and edoga as starters.  and rookie is going to need some time to understand the nfl game.  given the soon to be shortened training schedule it's going to be tough to get these guys up to speed.

• Post of the Week 1

I said in one thread that Williams could possibly be a draft day trade.  Though I didn't think it would be Jets.   JD would be signing a 32 y.o. to a multi year contract with possibly significant guaranteed money.  That's the kind of contract Williams would be looking for.  

The kinds of deals JD has been signing players are such that if a Zant, Roten, etc, fail in year one, he can cut them before year two, with little or no dead money.

Would Trent Williams sign a contract like that?  Does JD think he can get two good years out of Williams in a 3 year deal?   IMO if JD is going to make a deal with the Redskins, it would involve a much lower pick...maybe a 4th-5th, and Williams would have to compromise on his demands to JD's liking (a prove it deal), in order to make this happen.  Trent agrees to JD's terms...or he can go to the West Coast Seahawks.  

I see JD as a tough negotiator.  Either it's his way...or take your problem to someone else.    

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

BREAKING NEWS:  Two teams that really need offensive line help COULD be good trade partners with the Redskins who are trying to trade a very good offensive lineman.  In other news, people walking outside into the rain COULD be interested in getting an umbrella.

That's why Peter King is still a must read. In the bathroom. In the dark.?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Peters is a safer bet and would cost less.  Why spend on a player that hasnt played in a year, has been injured and been a headache to his prior organization. No thank you. I'd rather play fetch with my dog.

I actually think that Peters might be a draft Day get. If we take a wide receiver at 11 and select an OT that needs a year to develop, I could totally see us signing him to one or two years to help out the rookie

• Upvote 1

In this current market where no one really wants to pay alot for the defensive equivalent of Trent, which is Clowney, why does anyone think that a team would pay alot in draft pick and/or money for Trent when you can't even examine him?

To me, the Jets have no other choice but to sign Peters so they have insurance and don't have to pick the number 5 OT at 11.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Peters is a safer bet and would cost less.  Why spend on a player that hasnt played in a year, has been injured and been a headache to his prior organization. No thank you. I'd rather play fetch with my dog.

Peters is 38.  He’s a one year rental at best

Hell no for a 2nd. Sign Peters instead.

Hell Yeah for a 3rd. Take a playmaker in the 1st.

I think people forget that Trent Williams is not only a top tackle in the league...he’s a scheme fit. No square peg in a round hole.

31 is not old for a tackle. He has 4-5 prime years left, equivalent length to a rookie deal.

If you can solidify tackle with Peters or Williams, take WR in the first, it completely opens up our 2nd/3rd round picks.

Go grab an edge, take another receiver, or a corner. 

• Upvote 3

JD I’m sure has a set value for contract and draft picks.  And he won’t lurch with either.

Agreed 4th round pick feels good, I’d jump at it. Sign him for 2 years with 3rd year option. He’s due $14.5 In 2020 with no guarantees. Guarantee him decent money for the first 2 years.

Id also draft an OT at 11 to play RT or G, a successor who if if outplays Trent you move Trent to RT. Fant is insurance. You sign Trent and cut a Winters and 2020 looks like

Williams - Lewis - Mcgovern - Wills,etc - Fant 

Thats a top 15 OL with Van Roten and Edoga as great depth.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Peters is 38.  He’s a one year rental at best

That works for the Jets, though. Sign Peters, draft two OTs in the top 100 or so and, along with Fant and Edoga, see where you are at the position by the end of the season. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, slats said:

That works for the Jets, though. Sign Peters, draft two OTs in the top 100 or so and, along with Fant and Edoga, see where you are at the position by the end of the season. 

I don’t disagree with the idea and have even suggested it but I got a feeling Peters doesn’t want to come here even if he’s offered big money

i don’t think Gase wants Beachum back

that leaves Trent Williams the only option