Can the Jets be this season's version of the Titans unexpected and exciting playoff run?

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

"Consistency" doesn't mean 100% consistent. It means consistently-consistent. Tom Brady sails passes sometimes. Darnold has to do better to remain a starting NFL QB.

I know.

Darnold's consistency at college level would be fine if he was replicating it at NFL level. I don't think it's fair to bash him for that. 

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I know.

Darnold's consistency at college level would be fine if he was replicating it at NFL level. I don't think it's fair to bash him for that. 

I don’t care about what’s fair, which is too subjective a concept anyway to hold value as an argument. And he was not consistent enough his last year at USC. His legend was born at the 2017 Rose Bowl. He established his top tier talent. Don’t think any Jets fan questions that. But he didn’t show enough the following season to show needed consistency IMHO. He still needs to grow. He is young, though. Don’t see any of this as “bashing.” It’s actually optimistic to acknowledge he has room to grow and improve and hasn’t already peaked.

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

You're going to get inconsistency from just about any young pocket passer behind such a line.

At USC he was certainly good a lot more than he was bad. He will always have turnovers, such is his style, but needs to get the TD:INT ratio closer to 3:1. Probably too hopeful that he'll get there this season but we need a marked improvement from where he's been at.

I agree on the last part. It's a huge year for him and the pressure is on him to perform. I just fear that we'll end up having ruined a kid who definitely has talent. Maybe he wouldn't have made it anyways but to this point it's been a pretty superb example of how not to develop a young QB. 

He doesnt always have to be a high TO Qb.  He wasn't a high TO QB his first season starting at USC, he did turn the ball over his final season with, you guessed it, no OL or WRs at USC.  And even there the difference was a much higher fumble rate which hes fixed in the NFL and the early part of the seasons INT totals.  His INT totals weren't crazy high 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I actually expected much, much more. The current compliment of OL players Douglas are at best depth and stopgap players. It couldn't possibly be the finished product. If he thinks it is, then as I said we're screwed because that will mean Douglas almost thinks as little of OL as Mac did.

It's not the finished product. Jets are in the mix for either Trent Williams or Jason Peters, and have a draft where the odds on pick at #11 is an OT. And even if it is, it's highly doubtful that that will be the last OL they take this year. 

It's primarily about the OL, though, and I think the biggest problem is the whole COVID situation. Jets are probably overturning 4/5's of their starting OL and those players need to work together. Great OLs are always greater than the sum of their parts. They get that way by performing as a single unit. Limited practice time will be especially detrimental to the Jets as a result. It won't be surprising if the OL takes a month or longer of the regular season to gel (if it gels), and that could be too long to hope to put together a miracle playoff run. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bills are better set up to make a run in the AFC east.

They have the DT we should have picked

They have the #1 CB we should have picked.

They just traded for a quality WR

They have an excellent back in Singletary.

We have the better QB luckily.

Let's see how the draft plays out. Q could have a better year than Oliver this year. Bell could have a better year than Singletary with a better line. Our cbs were pretty good at the end of last year and we've gotten better there. QB can cover a lot of deficiencies. I think the Bills will be good, but by no means a solid favorite with their QB. Their floor is higher but their ceiling is lower IMO.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think if JD nails the first two picks of the draft (OL, WR) and both players have an immediate impact, the Jets will have a chance to be a decent team in 2020.  He cannot swing and miss with either of those first two picks.

OT's and WR's by their very nature rarely have a significant, immediate impact as rookies.  

It's all about 2021.  We can be "decent" in 2020, sure.  But competing for the AFC East in 2020 (like others in this thread are saying) is a pipe dream, as the Bills and Pats are still significantly ahead of us.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OT's and WR's by their very nature rarely have a significant, immediate impact as rookies.  

It's all about 2021.  We can be "decent" in 2020, sure.  But competing for the AFC East in 2020 (like others in this thread are saying) is a pipe dream, as the Bills and Pats are still significantly ahead of us.  

You are correct about the immediate impact, but I think the division is wide open and a really good draft by the Jets can legitimately throw them into the mix this year.  I'm not sold on Allen is a QB at all and the Bills in general (we should have beat them twice last last year), and as much as we all hate Brady, without him, that team will be very different and not as good.  

I'll just be happy if JD has a good draft and let the chips fall where they may after that. 

31 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

You are correct about the immediate impact, but I think the division is wide open and a really good draft by the Jets can legitimately throw them into the mix this year.  I'm not sold on Allen is a QB at all and the Bills in general (we should have beat them twice last last year), and as much as we all hate Brady, without him, that team will be very different and not as good.  

I'll just be happy if JD has a good draft and let the chips fall where they may after that. 

My point is I don't think a good draft puts us in contention for the division this year, because we're looking to draft guys that EVENTUALLY turn into a LT, WR1 and WR2 but won't be like that right away. 

And that's OK.  It's all about 2021 for this team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

It's not the finished product. Jets are in the mix for either Trent Williams or Jason Peters, and have a draft where the odds on pick at #11 is an OT. And even if it is, it's highly doubtful that that will be the last OL they take this year. 

It's primarily about the OL, though, and I think the biggest problem is the whole COVID situation. Jets are probably overturning 4/5's of their starting OL and those players need to work together. Great OLs are always greater than the sum of their parts. They get that way by performing as a single unit. Limited practice time will be especially detrimental to the Jets as a result. It won't be surprising if the OL takes a month or longer of the regular season to gel (if it gels), and that could be too long to hope to put together a miracle playoff run. 

Let's hope you're correct. The current OL is only a smidge better than trash the Jets put on the field last season. I like what you're saying about the draft also. I have to believe JD actually knows what he's doing.

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Say hello to another year of massive underspending. But hey at least it’s a built-in excuse for Gase and Darnold (what did you expect on a team 40m under the cap?!)

HUH!

Right now the Jets are about $10M under the cap.  June 1st they pick up Johnson's $11M.

Probably save that for in season extensions.

They have pretty much spent all they had.

No, it's impossible we are not close enough. Our offensive line is still not good, our recievers suck, do we even have cornerbacks? How many good players could we honestly expect to get from the draft? 4 contributors would probably be absolute best case scenario. My hope is that we don't embarrass ourselves this year and come back to compete the following year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

if history serves, he usually bombs out the year after having a solid year.  Which means, in typical Fitz fashion,  he'll beat out Tua for the qb job in camp, then subsequently throw 13 INTS in 5 games and return to the bench. 

I can go either way on this.  Because usually its after he gets paid and is named the unquestioned starter that he starts to suck.  He's in the 2nd and final year of his contract and should have competition for the job.  But yes, he usually sucks in year 2 at the same stop regardless.  So we'll see!

24 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

No, it's impossible we are not close enough. Our offensive line is still not good, our recievers suck, do we even have cornerbacks? How many good players could we honestly expect to get from the draft? 4 contributors would probably be absolute best case scenario. My hope is that we don't embarrass ourselves this year and come back to compete the following year.

The schedule is much tougher too.  So the defense won't be feasting on the likes of Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins all season. 

We've got Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Rivers, Kyler Murray (with new toy DeAndre Hopkins) and Goff on the schedule this year.  And I don't see any "gimme" QB matchups either unless you want to maybe argue Jarrett Stidham, Drew Lock, Carr or Jimmy G fall in that category.  I wouldn't.

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

HUH!

Right now the Jets are about $10M under the cap.  June 1st they pick up Johnson's $11M.

Probably save that for in season extensions.

They have pretty much spent all they had.

Hyperbole is a literary device that has its uses