Lions talking to teams who want to trade up to No. 3

Logical decision for Detroit if Chase Young is gone.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108851/article/lions-talking-to-teams-who-want-to-trade-up-to-no-3

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: April 9, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
  • Updated: April 9, 2020 at 04:03 p.m.

The Detroit Lions are in an interesting position.

Holders of the No. 3 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, Detroit could have its pick of the remaining litter following selections made by Cincinnati and Washington at Nos. 1 and 2. But the Lions' coveted target(s) very well could be gone by the time they are on the clock.

These potential scenarios are why teams spend countless hours preparing for every possibility. The Lions' preparation has included conversations about potentially moving out of No. 3 overall in a trade with a team looking to jump up, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, who reported teams looking to move into No. 3 have been receptive in early discussions with the Lions.

The Lions very well could stay at No. 3 and celebrate if Ohio State defensive end Chase Young is still on the board when it's their time to pick. But with most everyone expecting the Bengals to take Joe Burrow No. 1 overall and Washington to select Young at No. 2, the Lions must prepare for a situation in which their top choice is gone, and they don't consider anyone else worthy of the No. 3 pick.

At that point, Detroit could instead move back and take advantage of a quarterback-needy franchise to pick up additional assets, which could be key tools in continuing to remake the roster.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Logical decision for Detroit if Chase Young is gone.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108851/article/lions-talking-to-teams-who-want-to-trade-up-to-no-3

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: April 9, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
  • Updated: April 9, 2020 at 04:03 p.m.

The Detroit Lions are in an interesting position.

Holders of the No. 3 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, Detroit could have its pick of the remaining litter following selections made by Cincinnati and Washington at Nos. 1 and 2. But the Lions' coveted target(s) very well could be gone by the time they are on the clock.

These potential scenarios are why teams spend countless hours preparing for every possibility. The Lions' preparation has included conversations about potentially moving out of No. 3 overall in a trade with a team looking to jump up, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, who reported teams looking to move into No. 3 have been receptive in early discussions with the Lions.

The Lions very well could stay at No. 3 and celebrate if Ohio State defensive end Chase Young is still on the board when it's their time to pick. But with most everyone expecting the Bengals to take Joe Burrow No. 1 overall and Washington to select Young at No. 2, the Lions must prepare for a situation in which their top choice is gone, and they don't consider anyone else worthy of the No. 3 pick.

At that point, Detroit could instead move back and take advantage of a quarterback-needy franchise to pick up additional assets, which could be key tools in continuing to remake the roster.

Seriously?  This is news?

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lions need a QB.  Stafford is close to done

I agree:

Stafford was Darnolds age when he came into the NFL so he’s got a lot mileage for his age. He’s also made a lot of $$ from both his rookie contract (pre rookie wage scale) and his extension. How many more hits does he want to take at this point?

The Lions unfortunately are in that unenviable position the Jets have been in so many times. They have a duo running the show that who are thinking short term in order to save their jobs. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I agree:

Stafford was Darnolds age when he came into the NFL so he’s got a lot mileage for his age. He’s also made a lot of $$ from both his rookie contract (pre rookie wage scale) and his extension. How many more hits does he want to take at this point?

The Lions unfortunately are in that unenviable position the Jets have been in so many times. They have a duo running the show that who are thinking short term in order to save their jobs. 

The Ford family is inept at running the lions that’s why they haven’t even won a playoff game ever

If I’m the lions I take a Qb at 3 or sign Winston.  Stafford is cooked

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Either they don't like the QB's in this draft class or they want to ride it out for as long as Stafford can go.

Speaking of QBs...

My buddy told me this afternoon about a story by a Miami Herald writer that Tua has failed two NFL team’s physicals. I’m pretty sure Matt Miller and Lombardi have said the same thing.

i’m horrible when it comes to posting articles and tweets... any way you or maybe someone like @Patriot Killa can find out more about this?

He said a Giants board has a thread about it, don’t know which one though...

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Speaking of QBs...

My buddy told me this afternoon about a story by a Miami Herald writer that Tua has failed two NFL team’s physicals. I’m pretty sure Matt Miller and Lombardi have said the same thing.

i’m horrible when it comes to posting articles and tweets... any way you or maybe someone like @Patriot Killa can find out more about this?

I think he said a Giants board has a thread about it, don’t know which one though...

Lombardi confirmed that 2 teams have failed him due to injury concerns. The concerns were not only about his hip but also his ankle and especially his wrist which he broke twice during his time at Alabama. I assume this is true which then casts serious doubt on Tua going in the top 10. The Jets have no luck. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mackman55 said:

Lombardi confirmed that 2 teams have failed him due to injury concerns. The concerns were not only about his hip but also his ankle and especially his wrist which he broke twice during his time at Alabama. I assume this is true which then casts serious doubt on Tua going in the top 10. The Jets have no luck. 

Thanks. Yeah, that’s almost exactly what I was told.

The Miami writer is supposedly very credible also.

23 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I agree:

So in theory, the Lions are the NFC version of the Jets. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

He will fall into the teens and my guess is that gruden will draft him at 12.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

Cowherd today did mention that we don't know if the 2 teams that failed Tua are in the top 10. Let's hope it's a smokescreen. If he drops out of the top 10, you can say goodbye to any of the big 4 OT. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Perhaps the Giants trade up to make sure Miami doesn’t hop them for a QB. They’re both in desperate need

I know you were joking, and it was pretty funny. ?

Here’s what isn’t. Take a minute and compare Darnold’s numbers last year vs Fitzpatrick’s.

If that doesn’t totally bum you out, compare Darnold’s rookie year vs Daniel Jones’.

Then decide who’s in desperate need.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I know you were joking, and it was pretty funny. ?

Here’s what isn’t. Take a minute and compare Darnold’s numbers last year vs Fitzpatrick’s.

If that doesn’t totally bum you out, compare Darnold’s rookie year vs Daniel Jones’.

Then decide who’s in desperate need.

Still the dolphins and giants. Jones never met a football he didn't want to fumble

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Speaking of QBs...

He said a Giants board has a thread about it, don’t know which one though...

I have an article for you questioning the reports.  I said it in 80s, I think, thread where is was being reported Tua passed his physicals.  

REPORT: ‘AT LEAST TWO TEAMS’ WARY OF TUA TAGOVAILOA DUE TO SELF PROMOTION

Jesse Reed, April 2, 2020

It’s lying season in the NFL, so take this information with the requisite grain of salt: Reportedly, at least two teams are concerned about all the attention Tua Tagovailoa has been seeking since his hip surgery, and about the leaks that have transpired about his health. 

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald wrote about this dynamic lateWednesday night. He shared that, “at least two NFL teams, including the Miami Dolphins,” have noticed that Tagovailoa is trying too hard to sell himself. And he wrote that “it’s not necessarily a good thing.”

Salguero ran through all the high-profile interviews Tagovailoa has engaged in since the Super Bowl, noting he’s the only quarterback among the top four who has engaged in so many like ventures. He also pointed to leaks about Tagovailoa’s NFL Combine interviews with the Dolphins and Washington, and to the leaks about his health progress.

He wrote: “Then there were the curiously timed leaks of Tagovailoa’s progress as he rehabilitated from his hip surgery. I counted two of these before moving on — and, not shockingly, both reported positive news but lacked tangible details or evidence.”

As all of this relates to Miami in particular, Salguero noted that Tagovailoa’s behavior goes against what head coach Brian Flores is looking to instill as he builds a new culture with the Dolphins.

“FLORES LIKES HIS TEAM AS INSULATED FROM THE OUTSIDE AS POSSIBLE. HE DOESN’T LIKE LEAKS. HE DOESN’T LIKE MEDICAL INFORMATION GETTING OUT. AND HE DOESN’T WANT HIS QUARTERBACK DISTRACTED BY NATIONAL TELEVISION INTERVIEWS. OR LOCAL TELEVISION INTERVIEWS. OR FREAKIN’ FACE TIME CALLS SPENT WITH A FRIEND, FOR THAT MATTER, IF IT STEALS TIME FROM PREPARATION. FLORES WANTS HIS PLAYERS FOCUSED ON WHAT IS INSIDE AND PRIVATE TO THE TEAM.”

We recently delved into why Tagovailoa may end up taking a draft-day tumbledue to his medical issues and because NFL teams have to rely on third-party evaluations for medicals during the COVID-19 pandemic. If other teams really do have the same concerns expressed in Salguero’s column, the idea he could fall is even more salient. 

However, given the level of talent this young gunslinger has in his left arm, all of this may end up being a gigantic smokescreen in the end. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Still the dolphins and giants. Jones never met a football he didn't want to fumble

At least the other fellow was joking. You aren’t.

Apparently you seriously think the Giants need to move up for a QB. Thanks for the hot take, keep’em coming.

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

At least the other fellow was joking. You aren’t.

Apparently you seriously think the Giants need to move up for a QB. Thanks for the hot take, keep’em coming.

You got triggered by a joke maybe you should just sit down and take a breath.