Douglas Ain't Taking a WR Round 1

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Kotite took Keyshawn in 1996, Parcells got here in 1997 inheriting the #1 pick in each round and traded the top pick away which turned out to be a Hof LT for a decent LB and other picks that failed

Oops my bad. Everything is blurring together for me lately. 

staring full metal jacket GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

ummmm, BB just took N'Keal Harry in the 1st round.

BB isn't the best example for either side of the argument.  These are the WR's he's taken early since 2002:

• Bethel Johnson (2003, 2.45)
  • Chad Jackson (2006, 2.36)
  • Brandon Tate (2009, 3.83)
  • Taylor Price (2010, 3.90)
  • Aaron Dobson (2013, 2.59)

He hasn't had a successful early pick at WR since Deion Branch in 2002 (2nd round).  

Tate had a successful 10-year career as a returner but only had 71 catches in his career.  Not exactly what you look for out of a 3rd round pick.  Especially since he only stayed in New England for the first 2 years of his career.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

BB isn't the best example for either side of the argument.  These are the WR's he's taken early since 2002:

• Bethel Johnson (2003, 2.45)
  • Chad Jackson (2006, 2.36)
  • Brandon Tate (2009, 3.83)
  • Taylor Price (2010, 3.90)
  • Aaron Dobson (2013, 2.59)

He hasn't had a successful early pick at WR since Deion Branch in 2002 (2nd round).  

Tate has had a successful career as a returner but only has 71 catches in his career.  Not exactly what you look for out of a 3rd round pick.  

Doesnt matter when you cheat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JiF said:

Doesnt matter when you cheat. 

Very true.  That's why I don't factor NE into anything related to "how a team should be run". 

And its laughable how many of BB's coordinators have thought they could bring the "Patriot Way" to other teams.  Unless you're bringing Ernie Adams with you, not a chance you'll win.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Very true.  That's why I don't factor NE into anything related to "how a team should be run". 

And its laughable how many of BB's coordinators have thought they could bring the "Patriot Way" to other teams.  Unless you're bringing Ernie Adams with you, not a chance you'll win.  

Speaking of which, it's almost 2 weeks from the draft and apparently the cheaters arent going to lose a draft pick for getting caught cheating again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

If the OTs aren’t there Idk how we pass on Jeudy 

Agreed.  Even if they wanted to look at D, at that point, who moves the needle?  Kinlaw?  Henderson?  Chaisson (maybe)?  I dont think any of those guys do anything for this D.  Young, Okudah, Brown (dont want) are more than likely gone. 

The value is going to be at OT or WR.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JetsLife said:

However, If JD does take a WR in round 1, I won't be surprised if it's Ruggs. From the Post: 

The Jets offense, which ranked dead last in the NFL last season, needs more than just linemen. The unit needs some explosive playmakers, especially if it loses Robby Anderson in free agency. “I think you saw that in the two teams that competed for the Super Bowl this year,” Douglas said. “How many explosive players they had on both sides of the ball. Everyone is trying to get bigger, faster, smarter, tougher. We need explosive guys. We need explosive, dynamic playmakers.”

The Jets' scouts were all over Jeudy and Ruggs all CFB season. 

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/04/new-york-jets-really-intrigued-alabama-wrs-2020-nfl-draft/

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If the OTs aren’t there Idk how we pass on Jeudy 

I'm wondering why Jeudy was like a top 5 player in mocks before January and a top 15 player afterward?

i.e. Jeudy shouldn't be there at 11 just like Becton and Thomas shouldn't be there. 

If the Jets really do have a choice between Jeudy and Ruggs at 11 it would be a luxury situation.  

It's possible (probable?) both turn out to be excellent players.  

my personal preference is Ruggs because this is a Sportscenter/FanDuel/William Hill league and they want 75 yard scores to happen. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets' scouts were all over Jeudy and Ruggs all CFB season. 

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/04/new-york-jets-3-round-2020-nfl-mock-draft-matt-miller-dream-scenario/

If douglas believes that ruggs isn’t just the sidekick wr he was on Alabama he could be the pick.  Douglas emphasized the need to be able to score on big plays.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Kotite took Keyshawn in 1996, Parcells got here in 1997 inheriting the #1 pick in each round and traded the top pick away which turned out to be a Hof LT for a decent LB and other picks that failed

Ooops, my bad. Must've blotted that from my memory along with all other things Kotite

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If douglas believes that ruggs isn’t just the sidekick wr he was on Alabama he could be the pick.  Douglas emphasized the need to be able to score on big plays.  

sorry the link in that quote is wrong... fixed it in the original 

here's an excerpt it's from a Cimini Podcast and Matt Miller mock from 4 months ago 

After Cimini basically predicts they won't pay Robby, he says this: 

“There are a lot of good receivers in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft and the New York Jets are really intrigued by those Alabama wide receivers led by Jerry Jeudy and all down the list. So I think they’ll rebuild their wide receiving core through the draft.

In Matt Miller’s latest three-round mock draft via Bleacher Report, three Crimson Tide receivers went in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

JERRY JEUDY
WR Alabama
Alabama Crimson Tide Football

• 6-foot-1, 192 pounds.
  • 3rd overall pick to the Washington Redskins (Matt Miller mock draft).

The consensus No. 1 wide receiver in the 2020 NFL Draft is Jerry Jeudy. Matt Miller referenced him as an “electric route runner with next level burst.” It’s been a while since the Jets have taken a receiver in round one, but it may be hard to resist snagging the best of the best, from the best of the best.

HENRY RUGGS III
WR Alabama
Alabama Crimson Tide Football

• 6-foot, 190 pounds.
  • 16th overall pick to the Oakland Raiders (Matt Miller mock draft).

Losing Robby Anderson would be tough for the Jets because he brought speed to the offense. Replacing him with the fastest wide receiver in college football would be a smart path to take. Henry Ruggs III pro player comparison is Tyreek Hill (minus the off the field issues says Matt Miller) imagine that dynamic weapon paired with Sam Darnold?

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm wondering why Jeudy was like a top 5 player in mocks before January and a top 15 player afterward?

i.e. Jeudy shouldn't be there at 11 just like Becton and Thomas shouldn't be there. 

If the Jets really do have a choice between Jeudy and Ruggs at 11 it would be a luxury situation.  

my personal preference is Ruggs because this is a Sportscenter/FanDuel/William Hill league and they want 75 yard scores to happen. 

I prefer Jeudy but wouldnt be upset with Ruggs one bit.  That said, if they took Ruggs, I'd like them to target the coaches son in mids rounds and grab Van Jefferson.  Sam needs a consistent chain mover and not sure if Ruggs is more of a big play guy.  That would be a very nice combo for Sam to grow with over the years. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  Even if they wanted to look at D, at that point, who moves the needle?  Kinlaw?  Henderson?  Chaisson (maybe)?  I dont think any of those guys do anything for this D.  Young, Okudah, Brown (dont want) are more than likely gone. 

The value is going to be at OT or WR.

Thomas, Becton,Wills,Wirfs,Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb are the only acceptable picks at 11. I’m not trading back either there’s no need we can fill a huge need with a premium player at 11. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The draft changes every week remember like a month and a half ago when Thomas was OT1? Now somehow he’s like OT4 it’s crazy. If we go WR I’m not going to be mad at whichever we would get but my bet is we take Ruggs. Perriman and Ruggs on the outside is a ton of speed to account for 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

The draft changes every week remember like a month and a half ago when Thomas was OT1? Now somehow he’s like OT4 it’s crazy. If we go WR I’m not going to be mad at whichever we would get but my bet is we take Ruggs. Perriman and Ruggs on the outside is a ton of speed to account for 

I think it’s ruggs or lamb.  The trend is speed and the chiefs are the model.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it’s ruggs or lamb.  The trend is speed and the chiefs are the model.

I was watching a bunch of videos on the 3 WRs and the weirdest thing about Jeudy is a ton of his snaps came out of the slot, while most of Ruggs damage was done on the outside. I’m thinking it’s Ruggs if they go WR

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I was watching a bunch of videos on the 3 WRs and the weirdest thing about Jeudy is a ton of his snaps came out of the slot, while most of Ruggs damage was done on the outside. I’m thinking it’s Ruggs if they go WR

Jeudy is not the deep threat that ruggs and lamb are and i think that would influence the selection.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jeudy is not the deep threat that ruggs and lamb are and i think that would influence the selection.

But isnt that why they picked up Perriman? 

The jets need players that can do more than just being a deep threat. Jeudy can run complex routes, play inside and outside as well as be a deep threat. Sure not the deep threat that Ruggs or Lamb for example, but Jeudy's floor is higher than both players. 

Left tackle at 11...Wr at 48?

or vice/versa?

depends on how they evaluate the drop off in talent

seems like the depth at wr ..points to selecting a tackle...

but it’s not an easy decision..cuz you’ll likely have 3 OL off the board after the first 10 picks...and zero WRs

1 hour ago, Greg555 said:

Left tackle at 11...Wr at 48?

or vice/versa?

depends on how they evaluate the drop off in talent

seems like the depth at wr ..points to selecting a tackle...

but it’s not an easy decision..cuz you’ll likely have 3 OL off the board after the first 10 picks...and zero WRs

That’s exactly the plan.  OT at 11 and go WR with the next 3 picks 

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I doubt we take a receiver. We know that Douglas is all about the OL (which is a good thing). The game us won in the trenches.

Even more convincing, Baltimore’s GM just said today that he sees starting-caliber receivers being found in the first 5 rounds.

Same school of thought...came up together in Baltimore. 

If its OL vs WR, it’ll be OL. The question is who is going to still be on the board when we zoom meeting into the draft?

I’m not sure we know Douglas is all about the OL - judging by the offseason moves I see little to think he values the position.  Signing McGovern was a nice signing but the rest were all back-ups.  As an example he let guys like Shell and Beachum walk - who have both been better than Fant.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m not sure we know Douglas is all about the OL - judging by the offseason moves I see little to think he values the position.  Signing McGovern was a nice signing but the rest were all back-ups.  As an example he let guys like Shell and Beachum walk - who have both been better than Fant.

Not true at all.  Just because he didn’t get A big priced FA like Conklin doesn’t mean he didn’t value and do a decent job in FA.  Plus the draft he will address it more I can guarantee it 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I actually agree with this, personally. I suspect in an all time deep WR draft Douglas is going OL or DL in round one.

If we already had a WR1 and needed to simply bolster the position, then sure we can easily wait until RD 2 or even RD3 for a pretty good WR prospect, but there is a good chance that 8-10 of the top WRs are gone by the time we pick in RD2. 

Grabbing the 11th best WR in even a GREAT WR draft class is not exactly helping this offense get more explosive. 

I am pretty sure that if an elite LT and Elite WR are available at 11 we go LT. But if the LTs that fall to us are rated as late 1st prospects and Jeudy is sitting their and Douglas has a top 10 value on him he would pull the trigger on Jeudy.