Jump to content
LAD_Brooklyn

Jadeveon Clowney willing to accept short-term deal

Recommended Posts

Jadeveon Clowney willing to accept short-term deal and test the free agent market again, per report

Jadeveon Clowney willing to accept short-term deal and test the free agent market again, per report

By Jeff Kerr

Jadeveon Clowney still doesn't have a new team three weeks into NFL free agency, but that could change soon if he's willing to change his approach and it sounds like he finally is ready to do that. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Clowney is willing to take a one-to-two year deal to "try to get his sack numbers up" and hit the market next offseason since he couldn't get the $20 million a year contract he was seeking earlier in March.

Clowney has 32 sacks in six NFL seasons with 80 quarterback hits, 252 pressures and three Pro Bowl appearances.  While the resume is impressive, Clowney had just three sacks in his lone season with the Seattle Seahawks in 2019. Playing through a core muscle injury didn't help Clowney, even though he finished with 31 tackles, four forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hits and 47 pressures in 13 games.

Clowney has never recorded a double-digit sack season, finishing with a career-high 9.5 in 2017. His second-highest total is nine in 2018, even though Clowney had 75 pressures that year. Clowney's history of injuries hasn't helped his case, as the edge rusher has played all 16 games in a season just once in six seasons and missed a combined 21 games over the course of his career. 

Clowney has reportedly lowered his asking price from north of $20 million per season to $17-18 million, which still may be the deal he's seeking -- just for a short-term commitment. The Cleveland Browns have reportedly entered the sweepstakes for Clowney over the weekend and appeared to be the closest team toward landing a deal for him, per Fowler. The Seahawks appear to be out of the running, as the chances are "slim to none" that Clowney re-signs with Seattle, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. 

Cleveland has the most cap space in the NFL at $43 million and can create much more by parting ways with edge rusher Olivier Vernon (who can be released from his $15.5 million salary cap hit without any penalty). The Browns certainly have the finances to give Clowney want he wants, but a short-term deal may be enough to keep both parties happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid agent. He just told all the GMs that the longer you wait the lower the price gets 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Olivier Vernon be a good signing if he were to get cut. I barely know about him despite him playing for the Dolphins and Giants.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clowney is not worth signing at all!!!! 

If the Jets sign him, there is no guarantee that he will sign a long term deal with them. The Jets need long term not a one year wonder!!! If Clowney doesn't get his contract this year, he will be looking for it the following year!!!

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get him on a one year deal, playing for a $20+ next deal?  

No brainer, he'll miraculously play 16 games and will concentrate on killing QBs

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Would Olivier Vernon be a good signing if he were to get cut. I barely know about him despite him playing for the Dolphins and Giants.

Yeah I remember him from Miami.  He was a very good player.  Had 11-12 sacks one year.  Had a nice year with the giants, then the injury bug got him last 3 years.  Only played in 10 games last year with 3.5 sacks.  If he comes loose it will be interesting to see how Douglas reacts to him.  Williams should have some input.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dating back to after his rookie year injury, over the past 5 years; he's recorded (including playoffs)

Jadeveon Clowney: 249 tackles (186 solo), 85 QB hits, 72 tackles for loss behind the L.O.S, 33.5 sacks, 16 passes defended in coverage, 8.0 fumbles forced, 8.0 fumbles recovered, 1 INT and 4 TD returns (along with playing in a possible 76/85 games (90%). 

I want him in Green and White. .

Our weakest defensive position is a @ CB, well with...

Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley, Avery Williamson, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams behind a Gregg Williams led Defense?

I don't even think you need any proven CB's with a loaded defense like the one above lol but in all seriousness a Grand Slam of Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams would be a lot of fun to watch as I feel Clowney's presence alone will elevate our entire defense. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Dating back to after his rookie year injury, over the past 5 years; he's recorded (including playoffs)

Jadeveon Clowney: 249 tackles (186 solo), 85 QB hits, 72 tackles for loss behind the L.O.S, 33.5 sacks, 16 passes defended in coverage, 8.0 fumbles forced, 8.0 fumbles recovered, 1 INT and 4 TD returns (along with playing in a possible 76/85 games (90%). 

I want him in Green and White. .

Our weakest defensive position is a @ CB, well with...

Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley, Avery Williamson, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams behind a Gregg Williams led Defense?

I don't even think you need any proven CB's with a loaded defense like the one above lol but in all seriousness a Grand Slam of Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams would be a lot of fun to watch as I feel Clowney's presence alone will elevate our entire defense. 

WOW, I think this is your shortest post to date, but to give you some credit, I do agree that getting someone on the edge that offenses have to watch out for would take a lot of pressure off Q, and the rest of the defensive line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Dating back to after his rookie year injury, over the past 5 years; he's recorded (including playoffs)

Jadeveon Clowney: 249 tackles (186 solo), 85 QB hits, 72 tackles for loss behind the L.O.S, 33.5 sacks, 16 passes defended in coverage, 8.0 fumbles forced, 8.0 fumbles recovered, 1 INT and 4 TD returns (along with playing in a possible 76/85 games (90%). 

I want him in Green and White. .

Our weakest defensive position is a @ CB, well with...

Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley, Avery Williamson, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams behind a Gregg Williams led Defense?

I don't even think you need any proven CB's with a loaded defense like the one above lol but in all seriousness a Grand Slam of Quinnen Williams, Jadeveon Clowney, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams would be a lot of fun to watch as I feel Clowney's presence alone will elevate our entire defense. 

He also has 50 penalties in the last 4 years, that more than double the next closest FA edge player during that span.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Him and his agent might fear being lost in the draft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He’s an impact player. It’s a no brainer for the right price and would take the defense to another level

like i said - i like the idea of Clowney - Williamson - Mosely - Jenkins behind Q

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utterly bizarre that people would want him. Especially as he's not a premiere pass rusher or anything close to it.

Jamal Adams had more than double the number of sacks as Clowney last season and the same number of QB hurries from safety and we're debating whether or not to pay him. 

He's a good all round player, similar to Calvin Pace, not what we need to be investing in right now. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He’s an impact player. It’s a no brainer for the right price and would take the defense to another level

ahh  the elusive "right price"...

i mean, i agree, but errybuddy has their own idea of what that is...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Utterly bizarre that people would want him. Especially as he's not a premiere pass rusher or anything close to it.

Jamal Adams had more than double the number of sacks as Clowney last season and the same number of QB hurries from safety and we're debating whether or not to pay him. 

He's a good all round player, similar to Calvin Pace, not what we need to be investing in right now. 

Have you watched him play or just look at numbers?  The guy is very disruptive.  Constantly in the backfield. 

He will immediately be the best player on the defense.  Yes, better than Adams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting it out there that he’d take a one year deal is like begging JD to sign him. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Have you watched him play or just look at numbers?  The guy is very disruptive.  Constantly in the backfield. 

He will immediately be the best player on the defense.  Yes, better than Adams.

he's not better then adams but yes, he is a good player.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im  not a huge Clowney fan as he doesnt seem to always play hard (or play at all given his injuries) but there is another piece to this if he really is willing to take a one year deal - we can franchise him and trade him next year.

Say we agree to do 1 year $17 million, and he actually tries to prove that he is worth a massive contract, plays 13 games and winds up with 11 sacks.  JD can then franchise him and flip him for a 2nd rounder or something similar to what the Chiefs did with Dee Ford, and let someone else pay him.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article on Draft Network, I believe. They rated 3 deepest position groups in the draft. This was based on the # of such players in their top 100. Edge was the deepest, and this was them considering that only one guy, Young, may go in the 1st.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, heymangold said:

like i said - i like the idea of Clowney - Williamson - Mosely - Jenkins behind Q

Don't forget Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye too. Adams plays @ the LOS and within an offenses backfield more than any safety and Marcus Maye would become an ELITE ball hawk in Center Field with a real threat such as Clowney flying around. And good Lord does our CBs need a little help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Don't forget Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye too. Adams plays @ the LOS and within an offenses backfield more than any safety and Marcus Maye would become an ELITE ball hawk in Center Field with a real threat such as Clowney flying around. And good Lord does our CBs need a little help. 

if the jets did get a true pass rusher then maybe adams moves off the line a bit and acts as more of a decoy.  i like players that think longer term than clowney but these days players can come in for a single season and make a difference.  one other point about clowney and long term, if he did get a longer and higher priced contract then it's possible that he would be impacting the cap when guys like darnold and adams would be re-signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Would Olivier Vernon be a good signing if he were to get cut. I barely know about him despite him playing for the Dolphins and Giants.

He was a very very good player for a few years but his play has declined a lot.

I am all for getting a guy like him or golden on the cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

We need a big name on this defense. Clowney is that guy (on the edge).

SizzlingInfatuatedHoopoe-max-1mb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, AL047 said:

Clowney is not worth signing at all!!!! 

If the Jets sign him, there is no guarantee that he will sign a long term deal with them. The Jets need long term not a one year wonder!!! If Clowney doesn't get his contract this year, he will be looking for it the following year!!!

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Utterly bizarre that people would want him. Especially as he's not a premiere pass rusher or anything close to it.

Jamal Adams had more than double the number of sacks as Clowney last season and the same number of QB hurries from safety and we're debating whether or not to pay him. 

He's a good all round player, similar to Calvin Pace, not what we need to be investing in right now. 

Ummm that’s not true? Clowney had more Qb knock downs, pressures, and hurries and he was rarely the extra man on a blitz. Adams was used almost exclusively as a blitzer on manufactured pressures. Clowney as an edge is still probably a top 15 pass rusher. He also had 4 forced fumbles and a Int. He’d be a huge upgrade for us.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, GreenFish said:

Every week he lowers his asking price. Let’s not get too greedy. Strike now on a 1 year $15M deal.

Give him a 10M one year deal with incentives to 14M and we get a 2nd year option for 12M.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, BigRy56 said:

He’s an impact player. It’s a no brainer for the right price and would take the defense to another level

He’d definitely impact the cap,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, FidelioJet said:

Have you watched him play or just look at numbers?  The guy is very disruptive.  Constantly in the backfield. 

He will immediately be the best player on the defense.  Yes, better than Adams.

Oh, You mean like Leonard Williams?   Why didn’t we just keep him?????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...