Jadeveon Clowney willing to accept short-term deal

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Oh, You mean like Leonard Williams?   Why didn’t we just keep him?????

Leo wasn’t disruptive at all. Rarely got penetration and not even a little explosive.

Go watch some film of Clowney.   He IS explosive, not even the same ballpark of Leo - plus they play different positions.

This team needs someone coming off the edge.  Clowney fills a hole, at a high level.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Word on Clowney is he never practices, kinda dogs it in games too. Pain in the neck to deal with. He’s not exactly LT when he plays. One year deal I guess, but it’s probably why no one has signed him.

This would make sense. I was wondering if the 'word on the street" was that he was just a bad guy.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

My guess is, the shorter the term, the lesser chance he comes here

if you’re going to do a one year, prove it, deal, you go to a contender.  Get a shot to win a championship, and not to a rebuilding team 

I agree, we wouldn't be his first option but regardless we're in the race. As we can supply the resources he's looking for this late into the game.

If I'm Clowney the first option would be the Browns and playing opposite of Garrett with Sheldon Richardson on the inside. But why would the Browns want to swap Vernon $15.5 mil to pay Clowney the same or up to $17 mil?

He's in a tough spot. As for the Jets, we would be wise to offer 1 year, $14 million, with games, sacks and playoffs, All-Pro and Pro-Bowl incentives therefore it can reach $16-18 million.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Word on Clowney is he never practices, kinda dogs it in games too. Pain in the neck to deal with. He’s not exactly LT when he plays. One year deal I guess, but it’s probably why no one has signed him.

This makes a lot more sense to me than people saying he’s not good.  Because he’s very good...and will absolutely upgrade this defense. 

I love the idea of Mosley, Adams and Clowney - a stud at each level.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This makes a lot more sense to me than people saying he’s not good.  Because he’s very good...and will absolutely upgrade this defense. 

I love the idea of Mosley, Adam and Clowney - a stud at each level.  

Which is most important. People are too concerned about Clowney not being as good as they either thought he would or should be , which isnt his fault. The man is a very good player and would immediately fill a need and upgrade this defense. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody said he wasn’t good.  However considering all the hype he had even a year before he was ultimately drafted he hasn’t  lived up to it.  

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody said he wasn’t good.  However considering all the hype he had even a year before he was ultimately drafted he hasn’t  lived up to it.  

That's not his fault, that's just the media doing their job of building up and covering a prospect. But to go along, if he were to live up to the hype we wouldn't be having this conversation today. He'll probably be making Mack money, with teams having to give up multiple 1st to aquire him. With us poster saying the obvious that his price is too steep.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's talented. However with Douglas preaching "best culture in football" hard to justify bringing in Clowney if he doesnt like to practice. He's not Lawerence Taylor.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That's not his fault, that's just the media doing their job of building up and covering a prospect. But to go along, if he were to live up to the hype we wouldn't be having this conversation today. He'll probably be making Mack money, with teams having to give up multiple 1st to aquire him. With us poster saying the obvious that his price is too steep.

But it’s not just that.  He doesn’t take games off too.  Look I would be open to a 1 year deal but that’s it

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

That hasn’t been claimed by any of his coaches or teammates since Spurrier, who was pissed that Clowney basically made a business decision his last year in college to preserve his draft status.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FidelioJet said:

IDK. Every GM preaches that.  
You need talent to win in the NFL.  

Sure as long it fits you’re price range and overall plan.  Look we know you hate all of Douglas moves but it’s obvious he wants to really build through the draft which is probably the smarter approach 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

That hasn’t been claimed by any of his coaches or teammates since Spurrier, who was pissed that Clowney basically made a business decision his last year in college to preserve his draft status.

I mean its followed him throughout his career. He's constantly hurt.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean its followed him throughout his career. He's constantly hurt.

He’s definitely hurt a bunch but he’s never accused of dogging it. Russell Wilson game out in support of Clowney and JJ Watt hated that Clowney got traded. I’d worry about injuries but as a locker room presence Clowney doesn’t seem to be a problem.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Link please, it is easy to throw information out without evidence, look at the media.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He's talented. However with Douglas preaching "best culture in football" hard to justify bringing in Clowney if he doesnt like to practice. He's not Lawerence Taylor.

That is the 2nd time you posted that he is not LT, no one is LT. Again you post that he doesn't like to practice. Where are you getting your information from, please post it.

3 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Link please, it is easy to throw information out without evidence, look at the media.

Caught Lombardi on with Russo yesterday in the car and the first thing he said was “Clowney doesn’t practice.” I think Sirius is free right now so they probably have the interview posted.

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Caught Lombardi on with Russo yesterday in the car and the first thing he said was “Clowney doesn’t practice.” I think Sirius is free right now so they probably have the interview posted.

then post it

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yep. Tony Pauline already said teams are hesitant to pay Clowney because he comes off as the type to mail it in once he gets his money

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Leo wasn’t disruptive at all. Rarely got penetration and not even a little explosive.

Go watch some film of Clowney.   He IS explosive, not even the same ballpark of Leo - plus they play different positions.

This team needs someone coming off the edge.  Clowney fills a hole, at a high level.

I get it.   Williams sucks but Clowney is such a difference maker.  

I wonder Seattle didnt re sign him after trading draft capital and players for him?  

I wonder why hes been a free agent for 3 weeks and no one has signed him and Williams has been franchise tagged by the Giants???

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Herb Brooks also once said he didn't want the best players, he wanted the right ones.  And then he went out and beat the damn Soviets.  

Wait, are you comparing the 2020/21 Jets to the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team?

Because that’s what it sounds like....