My Top Guards In The 2020 NFL Draft

Great write-up as usual, Tony.  I don't expect us to draft a Guard anywhere in the top four rounds but some of these guys do look intriguing if they drop below their value-points.  And from Round 5 on down, Guards always seem to be available and potentially valuable so this was good to get familiar with some of the lesser known names.

One nitpick, it's Jedrick Wills, not Willis.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Great write-up as usual, Tony.  I don't expect us to draft a Guard anywhere in the top four rounds but some of these guys do look intriguing if they drop below their value-points.  And from Round 5 on down, Guards always seem to be available and potentially valuable so this was good to get familiar with some of the lesser known names.

Thanks, I seem to always do that.

34 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Just one more thought, I am not one to hear all this mumbo jumbo from these talent experts, when they talk about "bending the knees," "gets over extended," "needs to vary his punch approach," "redirect steps are a little tardy," "Body control can get away from him," "Finds his target and pathway as climb blocker" and my two best "He feels small on the field" and "he needs to keep his feet from deadening in mirror phase.  WHAT?!!!  Could you please explain that these two?  Small on the field when the guy is near 6' 3" and 310 lbs.  Whatever happened to just plain slow, not strong enough or laterally not quick afoot. Please already, there are "five things you needs as a good football player, the talent, the commitment, the toughness, desire to win and get better, and the love for the game and your teammates".  That would be my Motto for a winning football player. Most of these other mumbo jumbo faults they talk about, these experts could get fixed by either diet, stretching, ways to get stronger like weight lifting or isometrics and basic coaching.   

I loved this post. Thanks Wiz.  

One thing I'll say is that I have begun to get into OL evaluation the past two years. I consider myself a novice and I'm nowhere near the knowledge of many other posters or evaluators but I am learning and find it fascinating to break the OL positions down.  I like your comments on what I see as getting lost in the sauce. Too many details sometimes. I like statistics, in my limited way, and look to them often but I see so many times when they nit pick to such a degree that they lose the fact that a guy is a damned good football player. I don't mean to sound like I'm pissing on anyone's cornflakes, but I think analytics can lose sight of things sometimes. 

I do like guys who bend at the knees over their hips though :P 

That said, I happen to disagree on Kindley. I like him. He needs time but he is an absolute animal who takes well to coaching. Poor balance and tecnique can be worked on. His violent disposition can not be created. He just has it. he's a back up for the first 3 years of his career min but if he gets with a team who develop OL well, he has the potential to be a real value to a team. 

Throckmorton is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's so smart they call him Doc Throck. He will literally do anything for the team which is why he started at 4 OL positions over his collegiate career. 4!  He's definitely not going to make it as a tackle and I see him as a G/C as well. I read something about C potentially being his strongest position. Very interesting. 

You have a few guys I have not really looked into yet and I appreciate the info. I'm gonna go bug out on some of these guys right away. lol 

Good stuff man. Thanks! 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

Another nitpick... Wills IS a Tackle Not a guard... although he can surely play both.  He's the Best pass blocking Tackle in this draft... he'll be a Much Better Pro @ the Tackle position.

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

One thing I'll say is that I have begun to get into OL evaluation the past two years. I consider myself a novice and I'm nowhere near the knowledge of many other posters or evaluators but I am learning and find it fascinating to break the OL positions down.  I like your comments on what I see as getting lost in the sauce. Too many details sometimes. I like statistics, in my limited way, and look to them often but I see so many times when they nit pick to such a degree that they lose the fact that a guy is a damned good football player. I don't mean to sound like I'm pissing on anyone's cornflakes, but I think analytics can lose sight of things sometimes. 

That said, I happen to disagree on Kindley. I like him. He needs time but he is an absolute animal who takes well to coaching. Poor balance and tecnique can be worked on. His violent disposition can not be created. He just has it. he's a back up for the first 3 years of his career min but if he gets with a team who develop OL well, he has the potential to be a real value to a team. 

Throckmorton is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's so smart they call him Doc Throck. He will literally do anything for the team which is why he started at 4 OL positions over his collegiate career. 4!  He's definitely not going to make it as a tackle and I see him as a G/C as well. I read something about C potentially being his strongest position. Very interesting. 

You have a few guys I have not really looked into yet and I appreciate the info. I'm gonna go bug out on some of these guys right away. lol 

Good stuff man. Thanks! 

I think Kindley should play center. This would be his best position. He definitely needs to be in a zone blocking scheme. And yeah some of their lingo is just too much, 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good stuff man. Thanks! 

I agree.  I also read that his best position is center.  I actually think we will take a tackle at 11 a wide receiver with our second pick, and I think we might target a center in the third or fourth rounds, and move McGovern to guard.  Van Roten and McGovern would make a nice duo at guard.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

ND is usually a perennial producer of very good OLmen. What a drop off year for ND. 

Hope they are able to restock the line this year (if there is a this year)

The Problem with Notre Dame are 2 obstacles. First one is their strict guidelines when it comes to academics. Don't you notice some of the best players going to the worst academically schools. Now the list I am talking about does not includes Universities like Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St., USC, Texas, Florida, Wisconsin and Miami all perennial top football Universities who are in the Top 75 Colleges by USA News. 

The 2nd problem is their head coach. He is not a great recruiter. And Notre Dame knew this when they hired him. They meaning the Athletic department and school wanted discipline with their head coach. And they got that. I am not a Kelly fan and Notre Dame should move on from him and then maybe they get a coach who can go out and get those high school players who was going to Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St..      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

The Problem with Notre Dame are 2 obstacles. First one is their strict guidelines when it comes to academics. Don't you notice some of the best players going to the worst academically schools. Now the list I am talking about does not includes Universities like Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St., USC, Texas, Florida, Wisconsin and Miami all perennial top football Universities who are in the Top 75 Colleges by USA News. 

The 2nd problem is their head coach. He is not a great recruiter. And Notre Dame knew this when they hired him. They meaning the Athletic department and school wanted discipline with their head coach. And they got that. I am not a Kelly fan and Notre Dame should move on from him and then maybe they get a coach who can go out and get those high school players who was going to Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St..      

They don't get many Fla, Ca., Tx, Georgia, S.C. talent. Maybe they hire an assistant that is a great recruiter? Not his son!

8 hours ago, Lil O said:

I agree.  I also read that his best position is center.  I actually think we will take a tackle at 11 a wide receiver with our second pick, and I think we might target a center in the third or fourth rounds, and move McGovern to guard.  Van Roten and McGovern would make a nice duo at guard.

I would love that. The Center group seems to be pretty strong this year. It would be epic to come out of this draft with Becton/Thomas, Mims/Shenault and Ruiz/Hennesee. or something like that with our first three picks.  If we do that I'm gonna be REEEEALLY happy this time around . 

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, GREENBEAN said:

I would love that. The Center group seems to be pretty strong this year. It would be epic to come out of this draft with Becton/Thomas, Mims/Shenault and Ruiz/Hennesee. or something like that with our first three picks.  If we do that I'm gonna be REEEEALLY happy this time around . 

I see a Thomas or Wirfs in the first and a Pitman or Raegor in the 2nd. 

11 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I see a Thomas or Wirfs in the first and a Pitman or Raegor in the 2nd. 

Right.  I was thinking Pittman as a 3rd as recently as two weeks ago, but he seems to be picking up some steam at the moment. That could simply be he media finally catching up, but Pittman is almost a sure thing imo. I'm fairly certain the NFL scouts have been all over that far longer than the press. 

I'd take Reagor over Aiyuk, but not Mims/Shenault/ Pittman.  The big target piece is important. Especially when those three can add "size". with their arm lengths and high point abilities. I love those guys for the Jets and hope we are able to grab one.