Tua conducts workout... sends tape to all 32 teams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108887/article/tagovailoa-conducts-workout-sends-video-to-all-32-teams

Tagovailoa conducts workout, sends video to all 32 teams

• 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: April 9, 2020 at 04:50 p.m.
  • Updated: April 9, 2020 at 07:46 p.m.

Today's Tua Tagovailoa update includes significant new information.

Tagovailoa participated in a one-hour workout with 55 scripted throws and another 20 throws in a dynamic drill setting at a local private gym in place of a traditional pro day, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Video of the workout was sent to all 32 teams in what amounted to a virtual pro day for the quarterback, whose health is the No. 1 concern in relation to his stock with the draft arriving later this month.

There were less than 10 people present for the workout, and the health and safety guidelines set forth during the COVID-19 pandemic were practiced with everyone's health and social consciousness in mind, Rapoport added.

At least two top prospects helped Tagovailoa execute the workout: Alabama teammate Jerry Jeudy and Vanderbilt's Kalija Lipscomb. Jeudy and Tagovailoa experienced plenty of success in their time together in Tuscaloosa, and are likely to be the latest teammates selected in the first round of the same NFL draft. The Washington Post's Les Carpenter wrote a story published Wednesday that detailed Tagovailoa's grueling rehab and training process completed in Nashville with former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer, which likely explains Lipscomb's involvement in the workout.

Tagovailoa's dislocated hip cut short his final season at Alabama, but he still decided to declare his intent to enter the NFL draft and has spent much of the last six months working to recover, rehabilitate and prove he can be ready to play once again by the time the 2020 regular season arrives. Proving he can make it through a workout and remain the same quarterback he was before the injury would be a massive boost to his chances of being selected in the upper portion of the first round.

The guy hasn't been able to finish a single season without injury dating back to his High School days. That will only get worse against NFL defenders and will end his career before it even begins if he is selected in the top 10 with a sub-par O-line. Even then, he played for Alabama, the best team in the country and still got routinely banged up. I have serious doubts if he's even draftable at all. If I'm a GM there is no way I'm using a first or second round pick on him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

If Tua does not go in the top 10 picks, I wonder if the Jets would have a nice trade offer for some team looking to move up for him?  They really should take one of the 4 stud OT prospects at #11, but if they are all gone...

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets need Tua to be picked before they do. A QB run in the top 10 is the best case scenario.

Unfortunately, there is no way I see him getting picked in the top 10. He's a huge risk.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Unfortunately, there is no way I see him getting picked in the top 10. He's a huge risk.

Only takes 1 team. Hard to see him getting past both San Diego and Miami. I think that the NFL is failing in the respect that there is no reason players could not be given physicals that would conform to Covid-19 guidelines. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, legends of the fall said:

Sounds more like your feelings, like calling me a troll. 

I guess that consideration is only reserved for your guy Adams. I understand. 

I'm not sold on Sam Darnold.  I've said numerous times on this board that if he isn't at least a top 20 QB in 2020, it's time to consider moving on.  

But drafting Tua, who at least 2 NFL teams may have failed on a physical due to a Bo Jackson-esque injury, and trading Darnold now?  That's a horrific plan.  Even a perfectly healthy Tua isn't a polished prospect in the least.  

Do better. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not sold on Sam Darnold.  I've said numerous times on this board that if he isn't at least a top 20 QB in 2020, it's time to consider moving on.  

But drafting Tua, who at least 2 NFL teams may have failed on a physical due to a Bo Jackson-esque injury, and trading Darnold now?  That's a horrific plan.  

This is a better explanation that just calling someone a troll based on mentioning trade consideration for a guy that folks are not even sold on going on his 3rd season. All good! 

:thumbup:

1 minute ago, legends of the fall said:

This is a better explanation that just calling someone a troll based on mentioning a consideration for a guy that folks are not even sold on going on his 3rd season. All good! 

:thumbup:

Your suggestion was so horrifically dumb, I could only assume it was a troll post.  I looked back on your posts since then and see you aren't a troll, and I apologize for calling you one. 

But that idea was horrible.  Far worse than even a Jump to Conclusions mat.

Your suggestion was so horrifically dumb, I could only assume it was a troll post.  I looked back on your posts since then and see you aren't a troll, and I apologize for calling you one. 

But that idea was horrible.  Far worse than even a Jump to Conclusions mat.

Says the person doing the jumping. 

It's cool 

Tua will most likely land in the AFCE so we'll be able to see first hand. 
I'm not sold on Tua either... it's just that they already have too much invested in Darnold this season to walk away. That would be P.R. nightmare for a team who is trying desperatly to change their culture and image.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I'm not sold on Tua either... it's just that they already have too much invested in Darnold this season to walk away. That would be P.R. nightmare for a team who is trying desperatly to change their culture and image.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

I think you guys jumped out of the window here just a bit. I simply wondered if a General manager who didnt draft Sam Darnold would consider Tua if Tua is sitting there at 11. Like all new General Managers who are hired and didnt draft the QB, Joe Douglas does not have any more invested in Sam than any other new GM coming into a new situation where he made none of those old decisions. 

If the worst thing that he'll face is a P.R. nightmare for picking up one of the best QB's in college football and replacing one he didnt pick, then I think he'd be able to live with that. But like I said, it wasnt an advocation or a troll like some who are jumping to conclusions took it. I'm wondering if Joe would consider it. 

20 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I have read that the injury concerns go beyond the hip - he's had wrist injuries among other things ... (Full disclosure - I've had wrist injuries from non football activities, and they can be debilitating .... :P )

He's had surgeries on both ankles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, legends of the fall said:

I think you guys jumped out of the window here just a bit. I simply wondered if a General manager who didnt draft Sam Darnold would consider Tua if Tua is sitting there at 11. Like all new General Managers who are hired and didnt draft the QB, Joe Douglas does not have any more invested in Sam than any other new GM coming into a new situation where he made none of those old decisions. 

If the worst thing that he'll face is a P.R. nightmare for picking up one of the best QB's in college football and replacing one he didnt pick, then I think he'd be able to live with that. But like I said, it wasnt an advocation or a troll like some who are jumping to conclusions took it. I'm wondering if Joe would consider it. 

Regardless of what JD thinks of Sam and Tua, it makes zero sense to make that move.  None.  You'd have to get an absolutely obscene haul back in a trade for Darnold (not happening) to make that even remotely acceptable.  Because otherwise you're burning your 1st rounder on a QB AND don't have enough ammo to build around your new QB.

And if Tua doesn't immediately become a capable starter from the jump, JD's job would come into question within 1-2 years.

The proper move if Tua falls to 11 would be to find out what you can get from other teams for that pick.  

• Upvote 1

Regardless of what JD thinks of Sam and Tua, it makes zero sense to make that move.  None.  You'd have to get an absolutely obscene haul back in a trade for Darnold (not happening) to make that even remotely acceptable.  Because otherwise you're burning your 1st rounder on a QB AND don't have enough ammo to build around your new QB.

And if Tua doesn't immediately become a capable starter from the jump, JD's job would come into question within 1-2 years.

The proper move if Tua falls to 11 would be to find out what you can get from other teams for that pick.  

There’s zero chance he gets past the Chargers.   Injuries or not, they’re taking him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Regardless of what JD thinks of Sam and Tua,

Based on my initial question it does. It's clear that you took my wonder as some sort of idea, then as you called me a troll and my idea horrifically dumb, you did so by acting horrific while misunderstanding the difference between putting forth an idea and wondering if Tua fell to 11 if JD would consider it. 

I didnt do anything to you. You should really relax. 

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

If Tua does not go in the top 10 picks, I wonder if the Jets would have a nice trade offer for some team looking to move up for him?  They really should take one of the 4 stud OT prospects at #11, but if they are all gone...

That’s nice..  Well done