Revis vs. Julio

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This really was the single most dominant season by any defender at any position I've ever seen.  I'd put this season up against any season Deion Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, or Reggie White ever had.  From start to finish Revis was the eraser, immediately taking away the opponent's #1 playmaker all by himself.  For all you "kids" who are relatively new to the Jets (maybe guys in their early 20's) Revis Island was real.....and it was spectacular.

No only didn't he give up a single 100 yard game and have a 3 to 1 INT to TD ratio, he only gave up two games of more than 50 yards receiving.  These guys were some of the best WRs in the NFL and many of them were in their primes.

Not that I disagree (I don't) but on the basis that every thread needs a devil's advocate, if we agree 2009 was peak Revis, I could make the argument that peak Julio Jones (2015?) is better than anyone on that 2009 list, including those that are in already or will be in the HOF...

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Not that I disagree (I don't) but on the basis that every thread needs a devil's advocate, if we agree 2009 was peak Revis, I could make the argument that peak Julio Jones (2015?) is better than anyone on that 2009 list, including those that are in already or will be in the HOF...

Right but there was not one receiver Revis failed to shut down in 2009.  That includes receivers who were at or near the level of peak Julio (Randy Moss 2x, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Terrell Owens 2x, etc).

The max yardage any receiver got on Revis that season was 58 yards (Louis Murphy, OAK.  lol).  He only allowed 3 TD's (Ted Ginn, Mike Sims-Walker, Moss) all season.

Whatever Revis became later on, that '09 season was pure magic.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but there was not one receiver Revis failed to shut down in 2009.  That includes receivers who were at or near the level of peak Julio (Randy Moss 2x, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Terrell Owens 2x, etc).

The max yardage any receiver got on Revis that season was 58 yards (Louis Murphy, OAK.  lol).  He only allowed 3 TD's (Ted Ginn, Mike Sims-Walker, Moss) all season.

I have never seen a football player perform at a higher level than 2009 Revis. We had the number one ranked defense with no pass rush. That is impossible.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2009 - Moss 83 rec/1264 yds/13 TD,   A Johnson 101 rec/1569 yds/9 TD, Wayne - 100 rec/1264 yds/10 TD

2015 - Jones 136 rec/1871 yds/8 TD

You're probably right (although it would have been fun to see...)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That and the voters basically decided that, while Revis was worthy, this was Woodson's last chance to win an award like that, whereas Revis would have more opportunities later in his career.

A silly reason to snub a player, but that's voter logic for you.  It's kind of like when Charles Barkley took NBA MVP honors over MJ in 1993.  The voters had gotten tired of giving Jordan the award over and over again. 

NOTE:  Jordan went on to absolutely obliterate Barkley's Suns in the Finals, just because he could and as an "F you" to the voters.  No, they didn't sweep the series (Bulls won 4-2), but Jordan averaged 41 points per game in that series.

100% and this coming from a michigan alum 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I was at that game. That was Revis’ first game

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No it wasn't, that was week 2 of 2010.  The only time moss beat revis.  Revis just reported after his holdout a week earlier and he hurt his hamstring.  After this play he would miss the next 2 games.  

Revis dominated Moss head to head

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That and the voters basically decided that, while Revis was worthy, this was Woodson's last chance to win an award like that, whereas Revis would have more opportunities later in his career.

A silly reason to snub a player, but that's voter logic for you.  It's kind of like when Charles Barkley took NBA MVP honors over MJ in 1993.  The voters had gotten tired of giving Jordan the award over and over again. 

NOTE:  Jordan went on to absolutely obliterate Barkley's Suns in the Finals, just because he could and as an "F you" to the voters.  No, they didn't sweep the series (Bulls won 4-2), but Jordan averaged 41 points per game in that series.

Woodson won because he had a ton of INTs and TDs.  People see the highlights (even voters) and don't watch the games.  

As for 1993- I wouldn't call losing in 6 "obliterated" especially since they were a Paxon shot at the buzzer from going to game 7 on their home floor.

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

When you actually go through that year and look at the stats its absolutely absurd.  In a league where teams throw it all over the yard, and refs are begging to throw PI flags, this guy held some of the best WRs in the game to a MAX of 5 rec and 58 yds! I mean its just silly numbers to think about. at the end of the day that list may have 5 HOF WRs on it.  TO and Randy are already in, Wayne will probably make it in soon as well as smith and johnson.  

To face 5 (really like 7 since he faced randy and TO twice each) HOF WRs in one year and give up only 22 rec 1 td and 170 yds is absolutely bonkers.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

No it wasn't, that was week 2 of 2010.  The only time moss beat revis.  Revis just reported after his holdout a week earlier and he hurt his hamstring.  After this play he would miss the next 2 games.  
Revis dominated Moss head to head

Stand corrected. I knew it was very early. Swore it was his rookie year. Jets got blown out? No?

But I remember the play. That was like a 55+ bomb

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Good debate on Twitter today.  Revis vs. Julio Jones 1 on 1.  Based on what I saw him do to Megatron, Ocho Cinco and others, I'd take Revis..

Untitled.jpg

Revis would own him without question. Just like he did to Moss, Ochocinco, TO, Megatron and Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant and every single other WR that lined up across from him.  They didn't call it Revis Island for nothin! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

1690D97F-9D20-422F-A8FE-6628DFFA371B.gif

Wasn’t this a result of Revis holding out and coming in soft because he missed TC. Then like, he was shut down for a couple weeks, then after a brief comeback, ultimately the remainder of the season? The hamstring year.

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Revis would own him without question. Just like he did to Moss, Ochocinco, TO, Megatron and Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant and every single other WR that lined up across from him.  They didn't call it Revis Island for nothin! 

*clears throat*
two words.... Stevie. Johnson.

????

11 minutes ago, TnT said:

*clears throat*
two words.... Stevie. Johnson.

????

Yeah Yeah Yeah   He had a decent game or two vs Revis but that's about it.   I just looked it up to jog my memory...and yours. :)  

Here is the write up if the big 8 catch/70 yd game Johnson had against Revis.  one first down and a Td. Amazing vs Revis I suppose. 

Of Johnson's eight receptions on Revis, six of them came with Revis playing off Johnson, guarding against the deep threat.  All of those six catches went for less than the yardage required for a first-down conversion.  

Johnson did convert one third down against Revis, when he caught a seven-yard pass on a 3rd-and-6 play in the second quarter.  Three plays later in that drive, the Bills were forced to punt.

Johnson's biggest play was a five-yard touchdown caught against Revis.  Revis initially lined up right on Johnson, but then backed off to the goal line despite having no help to the inside.  This gave Johnson a wide-open inside slant to the goal line, which Fitzpatrick read perfectly.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah Yeah Yeah   He had a decent game or two vs Revis but that's about it.   I just looked it up to jog my memory...and yours. :)  

Here is the write up if the big 8 catch/70 yd game Johnson had against Revis.  one first down and a Td. Amazing vs Revis I suppose. 

Of Johnson's eight receptions on Revis, six of them came with Revis playing off Johnson, guarding against the deep threat.  All of those six catches went for less than the yardage required for a first-down conversion.  

Johnson did convert one third down against Revis, when he caught a seven-yard pass on a 3rd-and-6 play in the second quarter.  Three plays later in that drive, the Bills were forced to punt.

Johnson's biggest play was a five-yard touchdown caught against Revis.  Revis initially lined up right on Johnson, but then backed off to the goal line despite having no help to the inside.  This gave Johnson a wide-open inside slant to the goal line, which Fitzpatrick read perfectly.

Lol, madeyalook.

seriously though, I knew he had a little success, didn’t remember thee exact numbers. I know there was a time or two he went wild on us...guess that was in DR’s absence.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne (and maybe even Steve Smith) are some of the very best WRs of the past 20 years. 

What Revis did that year was sick.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So a guy with a pulled hamstring covering one of the Top 5 WRs of all time is the clip you use to make a dig?

If you want a hint about Moss vs. Revis then take a look at how his 2009 season started...

1501879346_ScreenShot2020-04-10at12_59_24PM.png.0ce04243be4e816099eb8fe399ceebb6.png

In two games vs. Revis in 2009 Randy Moss was targeted 18 times.  He had 1 TD and a grand total of 58 yards. lol

I'm not sure Revis finished that game after that play.  And I believe  Revis missed at least the next two games due to that hamstring pull.    

That's makes this an understandable exception to the rule...that nobody escapes Revis Island...

Reggie Wayne’s Black Box Found off Shores of Revis Island | ChrisGaldi.com

Obviously Revis for me.....

But damn .... 

Thinking about Revis how good he was and how sour it all went. All leading to a Revis getting his SB with the Pats.

Even our heros are disappointments one way or another.

I should stay away from whiskey.

But it's delicious.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Oh god not those

Shiny things impress people that don't watch, it's why Jet fans think ty Law was great in 2005 because he had 10 INTs even though he was horrible that season.

Revis was far and away the best defensive player in football that year, quite possibly the greatest year ever for a corner.  He was robbed but I'm sure because he wanted to make as much money as possible you think he deserved to get robbed.