What would be your perfect scenario

RobR

Just to change things up a bit instead of the players you don't want, lets do the players you're pulling for. 

Scenario A:

Becton, Mims, and Duvernay would be an absolute home run and is feasible with a couple of trade ups. While it is feasible I can't see JD moving up that much.

Scenario B:

Thomas, Edwards-Helaire, Pittman jr. Either one would transform the offense and I think this one is a bit more realistic. The problem with this one is you are hoping some WR's fall which could reach Idzikian levels of incompetence. I'd still prefer this one because we need a RB as bad as we need OL and WR.  

So instead of the simulators who do you like? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like both of your scenarios.  I will say I hope that Douglas does not ignore C/G in the 1st four picks just because we have singed some of those guys.

I for sure want the OT at 11.  So many Wr combos that could be good.

I’d be interested in him drafting one but with McGovern, Harrison, Van Roten, Lewis, Winters, and Andrews...somebody is getting cut if they draft an interior lineman because I don’t think they’re carrying 7. Doesn’t sound like he’s cutting Winters. Maybe Harrison. But I’m kind of making my peace with the idea that may not be addressed.

Could easily draft two tackles though.

I think Thomas/Mims/Shenault for me. I love Becton too, Thomas is just so solid.

Unpopular opinion besides Shenault in there is I kind of hope Douglas drafts Jalen Hurts in the fourth.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Just to change things up a bit instead of the players you don't want, lets do the players you're pulling for. 

Scenario A:

Becton, Mims, and Duvernay would be an absolute home run and is feasible with a couple of trade ups. While it is feasible I can't see JD moving up that much.

Scenario B:

Thomas, Edwards-Helaire, Pittman jr. Either one would transform the offense and I think this one is a bit more realistic. The problem with this one is you are hoping some WR's fall which could reach Idzikian levels of incompetence. I'd still prefer this one because we need a RB as bad as we need OL and WR.  

Scenario A is by far my favorite.  The more I look at this draft, the more I believe trading up from 48 could be the right move. If you could trade only one of the 3rd round picks to move from 48 to around 35 then I’d be all for it.  Especially if they go OT at 11 because I think there will still be some great WR value available.  We’ll see.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Scenario A is by far my favorite.  The more I look at this draft, the more I believe trading up from 48 could be the right move. If you could trade only one of the 3rd round picks to move from 48 to around 35 then I’d be all for it.  Especially if they go OT at 11 because I think there will still be some great WR value available.  We’ll see.   

Under that scenario we could hope Thomas falls to 11. I honestly think Becton is a pipedream at this point. Trade up for Higgins and grab Duvernay with our other third. That would be another homerun IMO.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

I’d be interested in him drafting one but with McGovern, Harrison, Van Roten, Lewis, Winters, and Andrews...somebody is getting cut if they draft an interior lineman because I don’t think they’re carrying 7. Doesn’t sound like he’s cutting Winters. Maybe Harrison. But I’m kind of making my peace with the idea that may not be addressed.

Could easily draft two tackles though.

I think Thomas/Mims/Shenault for me. I love Becton too, Thomas is just so solid.

Unpopular opinion besides Shenault in there is I kind of hope Douglas drafts Jalen Hurts in the fourth.

This is a big worry for me, it is mccagnan like ' we have signed jag 1,2,3 so we do not have to truly try and get great interior line.

I like the signings okay but one or two of these guys will end up not being that great.  I'd still like to get a prime guard or center along with an ot with our top 4 picks.

Also yeah your hurts comment is really unpopular with me.  ?

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is a big worry for me, it is mccagnan like ' we have signed jag 1,2,3 so we do not have to truly try and get great interior line.

I like the signings okay but one or two of these guys will end up not being that great.  I'd still like to get a prime guard or center along with an ot with our top 4 picks.

Also yeah your hurts comment is really unpopular with me.  ?

I do think the guys who were signed are better than JAGs. And the depth is something we haven’t seen. Usually the next guy up is some UDFA or career backup. Keeps the starters honest. The issue with drafting this year is room on the roster. I’d guess he doesn’t like the class. If he did it’s easy to keep a roster spot open.

I also read recently that bad line play from one guy hurts an OL more than elite line play from one guy helps.

Do think Douglas deserves a shot to build the line his way.

I also would like to see a backup quarterback on the roster who could be valuable someday in some way. And Hurts handled the Tua situation so well I think he’d be fine as a backup but potentially intriguing to a team in a trade down the road. Fits the “best culture in sports” goal with the character. And it’d hopefully be more interesting to watch games if Darnold gets hurt. Or the backups are in portion of preseason games.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Under that scenario we could hope Thomas falls to 11. I honestly think Becton is a pipedream at this point. Trade up for Higgins and grab Duvernay with our other third. That would be another homerun IMO.

How much do you think Douglas is focused on the “speed creates pressure, pressure bursts pipes” narrative? He clearly had a plan with the offensive line (low penalties, reasonably athletic tackles).

Only WR acquisitions so far are Perriman who fits that. I guess Doctson who doesn’t really. Smith does. Berrios a little. Not many examples and very little invested in those guys.

I don’t think this is a great class to chase speed and I don’t think that tends to work anyway from a historical standpoint.

54 minutes ago, derp said:

How much do you think Douglas is focused on the “speed creates pressure, pressure bursts pipes” narrative? He clearly had a plan with the offensive line (low penalties, reasonably athletic tackles).

Only WR acquisitions so far are Perriman who fits that. I guess Doctson who doesn’t really. Smith does. Berrios a little. Not many examples and very little invested in those guys.

I don’t think this is a great class to chase speed and I don’t think that tends to work anyway from a historical standpoint.

Strictly my point of view, is that it is much harder to find that 10 year LT than it is a WR. This is the draft that we should be able to do that so I'm leaning toward taking OT first.

As bad as we need WR it's not like we will be passing on some future Megatron this year and there will be some great WR's coming out of the third and fourth rounds. I don't think you can say that about the Tackles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I do think the guys who were signed are better than JAGs. And the depth is something we haven’t seen. Usually the next guy up is some UDFA or career backup. Keeps the starters honest. The issue with drafting this year is room on the roster. I’d guess he doesn’t like the class. If he did it’s easy to keep a roster spot open.

I also read recently that bad line play from one guy hurts an OL more than elite line play from one guy helps.

Do think Douglas deserves a shot to build the line his way.

I also would like to see a backup quarterback on the roster who could be valuable someday in some way. And Hurts handled the Tua situation so well I think he’d be fine as a backup but potentially intriguing to a team in a trade down the road. Fits the “best culture in sports” goal with the character. And it’d hopefully be more interesting to watch games if Darnold gets hurt. Or the backups are in portion of preseason games.

I agree about the need for a legit weapon backup QB.  i just do not like hurts at all as a choice.

They say you get guys in FA so you can draft anyone you want then they eliminate  a position because they got some bodies in Fa.

I want a great oline, not a decent can get by one. 

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Pretty much where I am right now.  If the pick is gonna be OT at 11, and if one of Higgins/Mims/Jefferson falls to early 2, then I would hope JD is aggressive and goes and gets his guy.  If we can come away from this draft with a guy who can potentially protect Sam's blindside and another guy who can be his go-to weapon for the next 5 to 7 years, then that is a home run.  Even if it means giving up a 3 to do it.

Solve for OL and WR this year and I am willing to wait a year to go get that impact pass rusher/CB to finish off the defense next season.

Dream scenario for me is a trade down that nets us a 2nd rounder and still gets us Josh Jones in Rd. 1. That probably means we don;t trade any further back than the Falcons and even then we would need to throw in a 5th or one of our picks next year to make the value add up.  

But I really like the idea of going into day 2 with two second round picks and two third round picks having already addressed the LT position. Rd. 2 I would look at Weaver and Higgins/Claypool/Pittman/Peoples-Jones, in that order, depending on who is available. Then Jaylon Johnson in Rd. 3 followed by more o-line depth, preferably an OT like Peart

In Rd. 4 its Antonio Gibson, probably my favorite RB/WR/KR prospect in the draft. 

In Rd. 5 Q.Cephus, another WR who makes tough catches and produces at a high volume. 

2 Rd. 6. is BAP- TE, IOL, Edge, LB, S and even another S or WR are in play.  

Essentially, dream scenario for me would be to trade down allowing for the Jets to have enough draft capital to get a bunch of my favorite players in the draft. 

53 minutes ago, RobR said:

Strictly my point of view, is that it is much harder to find that 10 year LT than it is a WR. This is the draft that we should be able to do that so I'm leaning toward taking OT first.

As bad as we need WR it's not like we will be passing on some future Megatron this year and there will be some great WR's coming out of the third and fourth rounds. I don't think you can say that about the Tackles.

Oh I more meant in terms of style of receiver they draft. I’m in agreement tackle should come first regardless. Asked related to your Higgins comment as stylistically I like him but I don’t think he fits the speed narrative unless my view of it is too literal (also don’t think Gase values jump ball guys).

17 minutes ago, derp said:

Oh I more meant in terms of style of receiver they draft. I’m in agreement tackle should come first regardless. Asked related to your Higgins comment as stylistically I like him but I don’t think he fits the speed narrative unless my view of it is too literal (also don’t think Gase values jump ball guys).

I hope he would fit what we are looking for and Higgins did run decent for his proday and he's way more than just a jump ball guy. This whole tailoring everything to what Gase wants would be a bad idea because I could easily see him getting canned in a year, maybe two. Lets just hope JD drafts the best players and tells Gase to make it work. 

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

I hope he would fit what we are looking for and Higgins did run decent for his proday and he's way more than just a jump ball guy. This whole tailoring everything to what Gase wants would be a bad idea because I could easily see him getting canned in a year, maybe two. Lets just hope JD drafts the best players and tells Gase to make it work. 

Oh I agree. I think there’s a line between what *will* and what *should* happen though. Always is. I’ve gotten too burned focusing on the should and so I look more at the will now.

• Upvote 1

I’m a part of a forum mock on an old draft site spin off that’s ongoing right now. Not a dream scenario but do think it’s been solid. I traded 48 and 79 to the Giants for 36 and 110.

Have drafted Andrew Thomas at 11, Justin Jefferson at 36, Curtis Weaver at 68, Adam Trautman at 110, Saahdiq Charles at 120, and Harrison Hand at 159. Have a feel for what I’ll do in the 6th. That’s a draft I wouldn’t love but I would think was solid. Kind of wonder if Charles is on the board but whatever, he’s talented and this doesn’t actually count for anything.

18 hours ago, RobR said:

Scenario A:

Scenario B:

I'll take this...

481496110_ScreenShot2020-04-11at3_34_07PM.png.0703f80f514f3060be5ff07aa77502f4.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll take this...

481496110_ScreenShot2020-04-11at3_34_07PM.png.0703f80f514f3060be5ff07aa77502f4.png

Tony has Wills as his #1 Guard. You think he’s OT material?

1. JEDRICK WILLS, JR - ALABAMA - I know I am going to get the hateful comments from this players fans saying he is an OT. Look, when I watched the Bowl game against Michigan, he was getting abused with rushes around him. He wasn't quick enough. Now I noticed, he came into the Combine lighter than what he was playing at. Could he play OT?  Yes he can. and he will get an opportunity to, since his arms are long enough at 34 1/4 inches. They use to say if you have arms 33" or lower it is to short to play tackle. So Joe Thomas arms was 32 1/2 inches and Jason Peters 33 1/4 inches was too short?!  End of that theory.  So Wills, in my estimation, if he plays guard would be 3 times more that he will be an all pro guard than a tackle. He was considered the Best blocking tackle in college football. I do say him and Wirfs was nose to nose, when it came to that feature of their game.  In my estimate he is aTOP 5 GRADE GUARD.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RobR said:

I’d love to trade up late first/early second for a wideout 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, RobR said:

Scenario A:

Scenario B:

B but I think we should be waiting until the later rds for a RB. There is gonna be a bloodbath for OL and WR in the first 3 rds and we should not wait until after that to scoop up the scraps. The RB's will begin heavily in Rd 3 and go until the 5th. We could easily grab Perine in rd 5 and I'd be stoked about that. 

I like Mims bit more than Pittman (and I LOVE Pittman) and Iike the idea of a nice double dip at WR, but I don't love Duvernay for the Jets. I'm thinking bigger Bodies are the order of the day. 

So, um... maybe it's A.  it actually looks like I don't know.  lmao.  

Wills or Jeudy - I hope Lamb is off the board to be honest. I don't think he's going to be bad (not at all). Just that Jeudy is a better fit. You have to scheme around Lamb and I just don't trust the jets when they have to scheme around anyone. Going to drop scouting reports on everyone (multiple sources). 

So Scenario A

1. Jerry Jeudy WR, Alabama

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jerry-jeudy?id=32194a45-5541-5291-9f8b-8595dc100c90

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020jjeudy.php

2. Cesar Ruiz C, Michigan 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cesar-ruiz?id=32195255-4941-5291-5447-fa1de6f9c62b

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/16/2020-nfl-draft-cesar-ruiz-scouting-report/

3. Jonathan Greenard EDGE, Florida 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonathan-greenard?id=32194752-4539-7948-6c85-f4afd61fadd6

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/florida-jonathan-greenard-scouting-report-2020-nfl-draft/

Scenario B: 

1. Jedrick Wills T, Alabama 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jedrick-wills?id=32195749-4c62-6320-8b63-20c37d057bf8

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/04/2020-nfl-draft-jedrick-wills-scouting-report/

2. Michael Pittman Jr WR, USC 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-pittman?id=32195049-5422-8050-a8f8-f5210135a4b3

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/michael-pittman-jr/QByEvli1ih

3. Cameron Dantzler CB, Mississippi State 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cameron-dantzler?id=32194441-4e76-4982-6dbf-ebb6876de452

https://profootballready.com/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-cameron-dantzler-cb-mississippi-state

Dream Scenario 

1) Thomas

2) Aiyuk

3) Pittman

If it takes a trade up to get Pittman I’d do it. Pairing Pittman and Aiyuk gets you two guys that compliment each other and that will transform the offense. 

I’d love the chance to get Peart/ Niang/ Driscoll also. Barring injury I think they’ll all be good players. I’ve fallen for Driscoll as a 4-5 round guy. He’s athletic and can be both a guard or a tackle and I think he’ll excel. He’s more consistent than Wanogho and a better run blocker, less upside but still plenty to build on.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, RobR said:

Thomas, Edwards-Helaire, Pittman jr.

Rob this is my dream scenario which would instantly transform the franchise. We could pick up a IOL and another WR in later rounds. I see Thomas and EH as All Pro caliber players while Pittman will be a reliable productive receiver for a long time.

• Sympathy 1

Are we all assuming that Bell is toast?  Because how does drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds improve the offense this season if not?  I'm all for grabbing a guy in rounds 4-6,  but I think our needs at OL, WR, CB and Edge all supersede RB by a wide margin.  I'm also assuming that an improved OL puts Bell back into play as a top-5 RB.

The question of WHICH OL to take is wide open because there is literally no single one that even half of the posters think is #1 in the class.  It feels like Becton is super-high-risk/reward which may not be the scenario to hope for in our case.  Wills has the penalty stigma leaving Wirfs and Thomas as probably the cleanest two of the bunch so I'll hope for one of those two but not be disappointed if it's one of the others.

2nd round I'm hoping a really good WR falls to us or we move up slightly to grab one.  Whether it's Mims by some miracle, Pittman, Aiyik or whoever drops, I'm just rooting for a quality X-type WR to be there.  3rd round, any combination of IOL, CB, Edge or double-dip at WR is good.  If Anae or Uche is there, go defense.  If it's Claypool, yay.  Cushenberry or Hennessy, sure.  Fulton or Gladney, fine and good.  Third round is where we can hopefully add two good players who either start or provide substantially upgrade depth and spot-play on third downs perhaps.  But if we're taking a RB in rounds 1-3, we are probably not doings as much to upgrade the team this year or next year as we could.

My perfect scenario for RB is Antonio Gibson in the 4th.  Maybe a pipe dream but I'd take that over any other probable RB in the 2nd or 3rd in terms of value.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Are we all assuming that Bell is toast?  Because how does drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds improve the offense this season if not?  I'm all for grabbing a guy in rounds 4-6,  but I think our needs at OL, WR, CB and Edge all supersede RB by a wide margin.  I'm also assuming that an improved OL puts Bell back into play as a top-5 RB.

The question of WHICH OL to take is wide open because there is literally no single one that even half of the posters think is #1 in the class.  It feels like Becton is super-high-risk/reward which may not be the scenario to hope for in our case.  Wills has the penalty stigma leaving Wirfs and Thomas as probably the cleanest two of the bunch so I'll hope for one of those two but not be disappointed if it's one of the others.

2nd round I'm hoping a really good WR falls to us or we move up slightly to grab one.  Whether it's Mims by some miracle, Pittman, Aiyik or whoever drops, I'm just rooting for a quality X-type WR to be there.  3rd round, any combination of IOL, CB, Edge or double-dip at WR is good.  If Anae or Uche is there, go defense.  If it's Claypool, yay.  Cushenberry or Hennessy, sure.  Fulton or Gladney, fine and good.  Third round is where we can hopefully add two good players who either start or provide substantially upgrade depth and spot-play on third downs perhaps.  But if we're taking a RB in rounds 1-3, we are probably not doings as much to upgrade the team this year or next year as we could.

My perfect scenario for RB is Antonio Gibson in the 4th.  Maybe a pipe dream but I'd take that over any other probable RB in the 2nd or 3rd in terms of value.

Bell isn’t toast he has another year left

Perfect scenario to me is the Jets don’t have to do a thing and they get their LT at 11 and either Mims/Higgins/Pittman in the 2nd and then the talent is still there in the 3rd to double dip at both OL/WR again with guys like Claypool/Jefferson/Duvernay etc and Ruiz/Cushinberry/Hennessy, etc and then we land McFarland in the 4th. 

My perfect scenario is this. Swing a trade with the dolphins, move down to the bottom of the first round, ouch! Right? Wrong. The dolphins get whatever qb they were eyeballing or a decent tackle prospect that would have looked better in jet green but what we get is Josh Jones at pick 26, tee Higgins at pick 39, pitmann jr at 48 and add a fourth rounder next year back. That isn't a bad opening to the draft. You add to your offensive line and add two very good prospects at wr for darnold in one move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

My perfect scenario is this. Swing a trade with the dolphins, move down to the bottom of the first round, ouch! Right? Wrong. The dolphins get whatever qb they were eyeballing or a decent tackle prospect that would have looked better in jet green but what we get is Josh Jones at pick 26, tee Higgins at pick 39, pitmann jr at 48 and add a fourth rounder next year back. That isn't a bad opening to the draft. You add to your offensive line and add two very good prospects at wr for darnold in one move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Why wouldn't Miami just take the QB they were eyeballing at 5? Why would they risk trading down to 11? Sorry, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this scenario.

We're also going from 11 to 26 and only get 39 and a fourth rounder next year. This makes no sense.