Former O-Line Coach Paul Alexander Joins us to Talk top Trench Prospects

listening to Alexander ... dude just knows O-line ... nice to hear someone like that talking about the positions.

Very scary to hear how quickly he dismissed Fant

although, still having him ranked 4th best, it was interesting to hear his hesitation about taking Becton.

His believe that Jones should be a starter from day 1 definitely is reassuring regarding where we sit

• Upvote 1

It always amazes me how people assume players remain static in their capabilities and therefore will suck because he won’t develop. I’m quite certain the Jets coaching staff reviewed films of Fant over the last 2-3 years and saw a raw athlete developing into a good lineman. No different than when they are assessing draft picks. The Jets coaching staff see something in this guy. Surprise player of the year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cyberjet said:

It always amazes me how people assume players remain static in their capabilities and therefore will suck because he won’t develop. I’m quite certain the Jets coaching staff reviewed films of Fant over the last 2-3 years and saw a raw athlete developing into a good lineman. No different than when they are assessing draft picks. The Jets coaching staff see something in this guy. Surprise player of the year.

You are going to be very disappointed imo.  A guy like this should have developed into something by now if he was going to develop.  He has been in the league for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don’t usually promote the podcast in the forums because obviously there’s a pinned thread and people who wanna listen to it can find it there.

However, I think this is a good one for Jets fans to listen to because the opinions are coming from a guy with 25 years of coaching experience on the offensive line in the NFL and he has a few interesting notes about the top players in this class.

He also touches very briefly on the move the Jets have made this off-season on O-line line and he didn’t sound overly impressed to say the least.

Was that your podcast? If so that was a great listen and I think echoed what many of us have been saying in the draft forum. It seems like he has players ranked similarly and he brings up the shortcomings we talk about.

Very damning on what he thought about our FA moves......downright brutal. @FidelioJet

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Great podcast and a huge reason i hope douglas still is looking at guard and Center in the top 4 picks for the jets.

I agree. The only problem I had with the podcast was he kept hyping up players he worked with, although to his credit he did bring up some shortcomings. Especially when it comes to a guy like Hennessey who I have problems with because of his size and playing strength. He definitely hit the mark on him even though he's worked with him.

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Ill bet you $25 to the charity of your choice that he will be a solid starter this year. 

Impossible to qualify this since some people think jamal adams is the best D player in the league and some think Quinnen William is awesome.

Fant will for be a downgrade from Beachum and beachum was not good.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Hope you’re right

Alexander’s immediate dismissal of him is d*mning though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Enjoyed Podcast--amazing interview. I did take issue with how dismissive the coach was of Fant. Decided to look up some film of the guy, and was impressed. Check out the article below to show how Fant owned several elite players and young stars such as the Bosa brothers. After watching this film and other videos of him, I believe in the guy as a pass blocker--show-up the doubters young man! You have Jets loyal fans willing to give you the benefit of the doubt--the coach's "hold you breath" comment in the interview struck me as cheap shot. Watch and see. Look for other tape. They show similar results.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/some-gm-will-give-seahawks-george-fant-starter-money-in-free-agency/ar-BBZYfuy

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don’t usually promote the podcast in the forums because obviously there’s a pinned thread and people who wanna listen to it can find it there.

However, I think this is a good one for Jets fans to listen to because the opinions are coming from a guy with 25 years of coaching experience on the offensive line in the NFL and he has a few interesting notes about the top players in this class.

He also touches very briefly on the move the Jets have made this off-season on O-line line and he didn’t sound overly impressed to say the least.

Oh man. I can't wait to listen to this one. I like Paul Alexander. He's on Moving the Chains all the time and I dig what he has to say. It will be great to hear you guys getting more Jets specific with him. Good stuff! 

8 hours ago, RobR said:

Was that your podcast? If so that was a great listen and I think echoed what many of us have been saying in the draft forum. It seems like he has players ranked similarly and he brings up the shortcomings we talk about.

Very damning on what he thought about our FA moves......downright brutal. @FidelioJet

It's the site's podcast that @maxman started years ago.  We've had a few different hosts over time and right now I do the show with Alex Varallo who couldn't join us the other night.

I'm not a huge fan of the Fant move but his comments definitely deflated me a bit.  

• Upvote 2

Two most telling moments from Alexander IMO were:

- Without hesitation, when I said the Jets picked 48th, just said "oh, then they're not getting one" in regards to an OT if they don't grab one in round 1.  Of course he followed it up with "you never know" but that's a CYA in case there's a crazy unforeseen scenario that plays out and a top OT falls that far.  I think his gut reaction of "they're not getting one" is spot on at 48.

- Basically laughed at me when I said Fant was a "hold the fort" player.  I was being generous because I don't love the move but he didn't hold back and said the Jets went out and signed a bunch of backup O-linemen which isn't that far off outside of McGovern.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

- Without hesitation, when I said the Jets picked 48th, just said "oh, then they're not getting one" in regards to an OT if they don't grab one in round 1.  Of course he followed it up with "you never know" but that's a CYA in case there's a crazy unforeseen scenario that plays out and a top OT falls that far.  I think his gut reaction of "they're not getting one" is spot on at 48.

- Basically laughed at me when I said Fant was a "hold the fort" player.  I was being generous because I don't love the move but he didn't hold back and said the Jets went out and signed a bunch of backup O-linemen which isn't that far off outside of McGovern.

Based on this interview - JD’s hands are tied and pretty much has to trade down or take a T at 11.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Based on this interview - JD’s hands are tied and pretty much has to trade down or take a T at 11.

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Look at recent pro bowl rosters and see how many OT's there are who were taken outside of round 1 versus WR's where the majority aren't taken in rd 1.

Take advantage of the insane depth in this receiver class and address premium positions early.

Let Gase use his offensive know-how to find 2 or 3 receivers from picks 4-8.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Every SIM I've run for the last 2 weeks has all the top 6-7 OT's off the board at 48. This is why I will BEG JD to trade Jamal to Dal for #17 and more or 17 and Tyron. Then trade down twice in the 1st round to pick up multiple 2nd and 3 round picks.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not necessarily a bad thing.  Look at recent pro bowl rosters and see how many OT's there are who were taken outside of round 1 versus WR's where the majority aren't taken in rd 1.

Take advantage of the insane depth in this receiver class and address premium positions early.

Let Gase use his offensive know-how to find 2 or 3 receivers from picks 4-8.

Agreed.  Take the best tackle you can at 11 but really we’re pretty much tied to that. Jeudy/Lamb simply can’t be an option unless there’s a trade down (which, we all know, is highly unlikely)

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Glenn, I loved the interview and that you allowed the guy to talk as much as he did, which is something that always bugs me with normal sports talk radio, where the hosts get a subject expert on and spend the whole time talking over him. He was great.

Also liked how he cut through all the hype and just talked about them how he sees it as a coach who’d be charged with getting these guys on the field. He kept stressing productivity, which is telling. Didn’t seem at all enamored with Wirfs or Becton despite their testing, and instead elevated Thomas and Wills because of their technique against the level of competition. I’d imagine that’s how most coaches look at prospects—who’s the guy who can come in tomorrow, get into my program, and not embarrass me? It’d be stressful for a line coach to have to coach up Becton, or to figure out why Wirfs was bad against UM, etc. Could be much of the same reasoning why he doesn’t like Fant, because he’s a projection and not (entirely) a known entity. 
The interesting part for the Jets is that it’s likely Alexander knows Frank Pollack (they swapped OL coaching gigs a few years ago, with Pollack taking over with the Bengals and Alexander going to the Cowboys) so if Alexander thinks Fant sucks, he’s probably talked to Pollack about it. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Said this in another thread, but I'm sticking to it.

Trade with DAL for Adams pre-draft, get their 1st and 3rd (17 & 82). Then trade back from 11 with PHI, and get 21, 53, 127. Now we have 17, 21, 48, 53, 68, 79, 82, 120, and 127 all in the first 4 rounds. We can go Jefferson or Mims with 17, and Jones or Ezra with 21. Then with the next 6 picks can be any variance of WR, OL, EDGE, or CB.

I think it's the best way to address holes we have with quality players. That leaves next years draft to maybe go after an elite player with a trade up.

Sign me up for this plan right now

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wondering here what this guy’s take on josh jones was.

He really liked Jones as a pass protector and thinks he’s a day one starter, even though he’s not as physically gifted as the top four. Says he needs to get stronger, etc

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

To be fair, other than McGovern and GVR, wasn't that pretty much the plan?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He really liked Jones as a pass protector and thinks he’s a day one starter, even though he’s not as physically gifted as the top four. Says he needs to get stronger, etc

I’ve come to the conclusion that 1 of 2 things is going to happen in round 1.  Plan A is to draft Wills or Thomas, the two most ready OTs of the ‘big 4’.  If one of those guys is there, that’s the jets pick, period.  If both are there, great, they have their choice.  Plan B is to trade back with TB or Denver and take josh jones.  I think douglas, while speaking honestly about how his player rankings will reflect his system, was also cryptically saying that we as jet fans should not expect his picks to mirror what the internet consensus is.  While I would love Lamb in a jet uni, b/c i think he’s deandre Hopkins II, I do think they’re going OT in one of these scenarios.  Of course, if they’re trading back to 15 they have to be prepared that even Jones could be gone, and that they’d wind up taking, say, jeudy or lamb at 15, and then they’d be into Plan C of trading up on day 2.  Anything is possible.

When you look at what they could do on day 2 if they traded back with Denver and got an extra 3rd and 5th or 6th, it’s certainly enticing.  They could trade up for 2 wrs and wind up with a real haul, and still have 2 more 3rd rounders to address cb/edge/OL.  Plan B could be trading back, taking Jones, then trading up for Shenault and either Pittman or another wr from that early 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I said as soon as he was signed that fant will be the major whipping boy by game 6.  He stunk with seattle.

He was much more awful when they had him play RT.  He is a one-year plug-in for LT here while whoever gets drafted to be the future LT gets ready or starts on the right.  They can dump fant after a year with like a $2 mill dead cap.

11 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

On the other hand, at least they can get out of it after a year with not too bad dead cap. 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:36 AM, JetNation said:

On this week’s episode of JetNation Radio, we’ll be talking to former Jets, Bengals and Cowboys offensive line coach Paul Alexander.  With over 20 years of NFL coaching experience, coach Alexander will weigh in on the top linemen at each position in the 2020 draft.  You won’t want to miss this one! Full break down of the offensive line talent that the Jets will be looking at in the upcoming NFL draft.

A big thank you to the official sponsor of JetNation Radio, MILE Social.  If you’re a business owner, MILE Social will help your business by managing your web site and all of your social media platforms.  Check them out today at milesocial.com.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Former O-Line Coach Paul Alexander Joins us to Talk top Trench Prospects appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

u9fUBmBh2tU

Click here to read the full story...

Dude this is awesome!!  Thank you so much for posting this.  Loved hearing his insight.  I’ve been thinking that we will probably take a center in the third or fourth round and move McGovern to guard. But now we might take a guard as well, I had no idea there were so many quality starters.

• Upvote 1