ESPN Article on 2000 Draft

We also got Coles in that draft - 3rd round (no 2nd rounder) - so basically the first 5 of the Jets picks in that draft hit.

Of course, for me, I'll always remember that Sebastian Janikowski was picked at 1-17, just before Pennington.

#theraiders

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Parcells knew how to find those guys before the triangle numbers became a thing. He got McGinest in New England, Demarcus Ware in Dallas, Abraham here, and brought Cam Wake into Miami. 

The Vernon Gholston flop set this team back a lot.  We had subsequent defenses that were one pass rusher away from being totally great.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Vernon Gholston flop set this team back a lot.  We had subsequent defenses that were one pass rusher away from being totally great.

Indeed. The only saving grace for that pick is that the 2007 first round was The Bust Olympics. Gholston was the logical pick there, unless they wanted to reach for Brandon Albert. That said, they should have known Gholston was doomed when Parcells passed on him.

D3C1189F-FCA4-4A1B-B6AC-DF785AE84579.png

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I used to do this with Maccagnan drafts but instead of weed it was PBR and instead of drum circles it was my hall closet.

My remedy was Absolute and Cranberry, and hitting replay several times on the CD player as it blared Jerry Garcia singing Loser.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

The idea of the 2000 draft and the Keyshawn trade makes me want to trade Jamal even more

If some team were to offer the Jets two first rounders for Jamal (like they got for KJ), they'd have to make that deal. If Dallas offers their #1 and #3 picks, I'd hope the Jets take the deal.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

The idea of the 2000 draft and the Keyshawn trade makes me want to trade Jamal even more

Awesome draft.

Trade one of best WRs in team history entering his prime

Essentially trade bill Belichick who likely would have drafted Brady here and the dynasty would have been ours

Draft 4 guys in round 1 where only 1 would last long term

Get a steal in Rd 3 but he leaves at 3 years.

What a draft!  

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Awesome draft.

Trade one of best WRs in team history entering his prime

Essentially trade bill Belichick who likely would have drafted Brady here and the dynasty would have been ours

Draft 4 guys in round 1 where only 1 would last long term

Get a steal in Rd 3 but he leaves at 3 years.

What a draft!  

4 starters - playoff berths in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006.  Our last division title in 2002.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

4 starters - playoff berths in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006.  Our last division title in 2002.

Chad started for essentially 3 close to full seasons

Abe 4 

Becht 5(and he was HATED by Jet fans)

Vinny was QB in 01, Abe and becht were gone by 06

You wouldn't trade those 4 playoff apps for what NE has had?  That would have been us if BB stays and drafts Brady which he likely does with the same staff in place he assembled in NE.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad started for essentially 3 close to full seasons

Abe 4 

Becht 5(and he was HATED by Jet fans)

Vinny was QB in 01, Abe and becht were gone by 06

You wouldn't trade those 4 playoff apps for what NE has had?  That would have been us if BB stays and drafts Brady which he likely does with the same staff in place he assembled in NE.

Yeah I mean if you could have guaranteed Belichick and Brady then sure. But lets live in reality. The 2000 and 2006 drafts were basically the foundation for two relatively successful stretches in Jets history- and there arent many.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah I mean if you could have guaranteed Belichick and Brady then sure. But lets live in reality. The 2000 and 2006 drafts were basically the foundation for two relatively successful stretches in Jets history- and there arent many.

The players in the 2000 draft barely played for us.  Ellis was the only long term starter.  Chad had basically 3 full seasons as a starter, becht played 5 and was booed out of that stadium on a weekly basis, Abraham started for 4 seasons.  Coles started 2 seasons then left before we later reacquired a lesser version of him.

If Chad and Abraham could have stayed healthy?  Grand slam but unfortunately they barely played for us. Shaun Ellis was a solid starting player, he was not a star and he's the only long term starter we had from that draft.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The players in the 2000 draft barely played for us.  Ellis was the only long term starter.  Chad had basically 3 full seasons as a starter, becht played 5 and was booed out of that stadium on a weekly basis, Abraham started for 4 seasons.  Coles started 2 seasons then left before we later reacquired a lesser version of him.

If Chad and Abraham could have stayed healthy?  Grand slam but unfortunately they barely played for us. Shaun Ellis was a solid starting player, he was not a star and he's the only long term starter we had from that draft.

We have different definitions of barely played. Pennington, Ellis, Abraham and Coles were like the best players on the 2002 team that won the division. Parcells also took Randy Thomas in 99 who was really good.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We have different definitions of barely played. Pennington, Ellis, Abraham and Coles were like the best players on the 2002 team that won the division. Parcells also took Randy Thomas in 99 who was really good.

Not Ellis, he was considered a bust back then but Chad, Abe and Coles probably were the 3 best or among the 3 best but that's one year?  Coles was gone after that.

Parcells also had 30+ more picks 1997-1999 and only 2-3 stuck.  He was an awful drafter for us.

Not Ellis, he was considered a bust back then but Chad, Abe and Coles probably were the 3 best or among the 3 best but that's one year?  Coles was gone after that.

Parcells also had 30+ more picks 1997-1999 and only 2-3 stuck.  He was an awful drafter for us.

Ellis was a bust? What? Coles was let go by the next regime which was a mistake. As was Randy Thomas. Bradway replaced Coles with what washed up Curtis Conway and then traded back for him when Santana Moss was hiting his stride? Oof.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ellis was a bust? What? Coles was let go by the next regime which was a mistake. As was Randy Thomas. Bradway replaced Coles with what washed up Curtis Conway and then traded back for him when Santana Moss was hiting his stride? Oof.

At the time he was considered a bust.  Fans and the media were down on him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/29/sports/pro-football-new-role-and-attitude-for-ellis-on-jets-defensive-line.html?searchResultPosition=2

They inherited cap hell, they couldn't keep everyone.  Be thankful for the expansion draft in 02.

Bradway drafted moss in 01, moss became a better WR than Coles but the Jets didn't like paying WRs unless it was wayne chrebet.  Key, ces, moss, all the way up to Anderson.

At the time he was considered a bust.  Fans and the media were down on him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/29/sports/pro-football-new-role-and-attitude-for-ellis-on-jets-defensive-line.html?searchResultPosition=2

They inherited cap hell, they couldn't keep everyone.  Be thankful for the expansion draft in 02.

Bradway drafted moss in 01, moss became a better WR than Coles but the Jets didn't like paying WRs unless it was wayne chrebet.  Key, ces, moss, all the way up to Anderson.

Herman Edwards had Ellis put on like 40lbs to play inside which was a mistake. He had 9 sacks his rookie season under Groh.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Parcells knew how to find those guys before the triangle numbers became a thing. He got McGinest in New England, Demarcus Ware in Dallas, Abraham here, and brought Cam Wake into Miami.  

Don't forget Dorian Boose!  

ON EDIT: I have an exceeding poor recollection of Demarcus Ware and confused him with Demarcus Lawrence!

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't forget Dorian Boose!  

Triangle numbers were Demarcus Ware's downfall.  Wasn't his 3 cone like 7.42?  I think he is like the only succesful guy over 7.2

Ware hit every metric out of the park I think

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Indeed. The only saving grace for that pick is that the 2007 first round was The Bust Olympics. Gholston was the logical pick there, unless they wanted to reach for Brandon Albert. That said, they should have known Gholston was doomed when Parcells passed on him.

D3C1189F-FCA4-4A1B-B6AC-DF785AE84579.png

Some of us were advocating a trade up for Matt Ryan.  Not sure if that was a good thing.  Surprising thing is that is the one time that Belichick ended up with a high first.  It was his only top 10 pick besides Seymour at six in '01.