Push to cancel NFL season underway

9 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I think it’s a very real possibility the NFL season will be cancelled. 

Restaurants and Bars need to open soon. It’s a trillion dollar industry that cannot survive an 18 month shutdown. 

Realistically I think we are all back to work by May under restrictions:

Suspend all non-essential air travel

Reduced seating/capacity in bars and restaurants 

Draft Beer and Drinks to be served in disposable plastic cups 

Food served on disposable plates/utensils 

All retail outlets institute rules/guidelines similar to what  supermarkets are doing

No large gatherings (sports, concerts, 10Ks until further notice)

Gyms continue to close (workout outside)

Beaches close 

Barber Shops/HairSalons can open up

Hotels/Motels can open up

Realistically the highest public health risks are the the sports and entertainment/airline industry. Both can survive an 18 month shutdown.  

Golf and baseball being played without fans are not high risk activities.

Football and basketball players are definitely in constant contact but with sufficient testing you can play with very minimal risk. 

Any sports with stadiums filled with people is likely not going to happen until there is a vaccine.

The bigger question is whether the NCAA can play games. It's one thing for professional athletes to take on a risk it's another to ask kids. 

3 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

How about an auction instead of a draft?

Whomever drafts Trevor Lawrence will have to relinquish 2022,2023,2024 1st round picks.

If you don’t use your first round pick in 2021 you get another in 2022. 

That’s interesting and creative, but then what do you do for pick 2, 3, etc. ?

50 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

So, you want 80K tests administered outside of a stadium, and then we'll wait for results?  Do we line up on Tuesday?  And where do these tests come from, as sick people can't even get them if they're not sick enough?

Also, what do we do with all the people exposed by the person who tested positive?

Have you been living under a rock? Instant testing will be available eventually. How else do you think we open up 

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

That’s interesting and creative, but then what do you do for pick 2, 3, etc. ?

Same thing. You can pick nobody and have twice as many picks in 2022.

Id bet it would be a limited draft as majority of players will return to school. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you please change the thread title? This is misleading and makes it sound like the league is discussing cancelling the season. 

If you don’t think they have you are also living under a rock 

• Thumb Down 2

They'll limit attendance to 50% capacity. Probably issue paper masks, to everyone at the gate. By the end of august they'll be more than one effective anti-viral for the virus. Just some butthole trying to get attention. The new scare tactic by the mainstream media will be the deadly second wave, coming in November or December. It's so predictable.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Golf and baseball being played without fans are not high risk activities.

Football and basketball players are definitely in constant contact but with sufficient testing you can play with very minimal risk. 

Any sports with stadiums filled with people is likely not going to happen until there is a vaccine.

The bigger question is whether the NCAA can play games. It's one thing for professional athletes to take on a risk it's another to ask kids. 

For football, you can test the players, coaches, trainers, doctors, before every game, sure. Extremely high cost, but let's assume we do that. Even given that, think of the amount of things a football player is going to have to touch that are completely out of their control, and the cost of sterilizing all of those things before a game. I don't think it's happening. Completely agree on baseball and golf, and even some other contact things which make sense (i.e. like WWE did with Wrestlemania), there are elements of control that don't have nearly the cost for that. For football it seems like an abyss of endless and contingencies that are probably too costly.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Restaurants and Bars need to open soon. It’s a trillion dollar industry that cannot survive an 18 month shutdown. 

All retail outlets institute rules/guidelines similar to what  supermarkets are doing

Beaches close 

Realistically the greatest public health risks are the the sports and entertainment/airline industry. Both can survive an 18 month shutdown.  

Restaurants operate on such thin profit margins that reduced seating capacity would not be feasible. 

• Upvote 2

If you have an NFL season even with no fans it’s not just the players but other staff, doctors, coaches etc. You could operate it from one location and try to avoid travel. There will be hotels involved, families, drivers, maintenance people. You could pick a locality like Honolulu, house the players at resorts and bus them in to play games at Aloha Stadium. But if just one player gets a positive (and some in pro sports have) it could spread through an entire team etc. There’s a lot of people involved even with no fans. I think the China Basketball Association was contemplating finishing their season with no fans and brought back the players but they for now have put that on hold.  In the 1918 pandemic it started with a bang, then lessened but later was a lot worse. Look I didn’t like watching the 2018 Jets Browns game the other day it was the featured game I think on NFLN. I had to take it off. And I didn’t like watching that feature on Drew Bledsoe about losing his job to Brady and how it was such a devastating blow to his ego. Too bad the guy owns a vineyard, a beautiful home he’s rich. Talk about the good life. But I also don’t want a million people dying needlessly. I’ll watch Brady highlights if I have to. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For football, you can test the players, coaches, trainers, doctors, before every game, sure. Extremely high cost, but let's assume we do that. Even given that, think of the amount of things a football player is going to have to touch that are completely out of their control, and the cost of sterilizing all of those things before a game. I don't think it's happening. Completely agree on baseball and golf, and even some other contact things which make sense (i.e. like WWE did with Wrestlemania), there are elements of control that don't have nearly the cost for that. For football it seems like an abyss of endless and contingencies that are probably too costly.

I think people would be very into football coming back until they see that inevitably a percentage of players are coming down with COVID and then the sport has to close up again anyway after two weeks. It’d be a cluster****. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Beaches close 

Realistically the greatest public health risks are the the sports and entertainment/airline industry. Both can survive an 18 month shutdown.  

Unfortunately some of the Entertainment industry is already folding.  I am a professional actor and all of my future gigs have been cancelled.  Both in Theatre and TV.  Of course the industry as a whole will survive but there are a lot of projects that were slated to start the summer that have been canceled and will never be done. It’s going to affect a lot of writers more than anything, especially playwrights.  Pretty much any new play that was scheduled has been canceled instead of being postponed. Whereas some TV and movie gigs are just being postponed until the fall. Also the entire commercial department of my agency has been let go. Even though the industry itself will survive there are a lot of people who are going to be out of work for a very long time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

This doctor must be personal friends with that senate physician who said 150 million Americans will become infected. All the b.s. that's being pushed by a bunch of fearmonger's with their own agenda's.

Fear is the mind killer.  Media/politicians/big pharma have agenda's and want to make tools out us.  Using problem-reaction-solution methods.  

Suggestion to all...do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

• Post of the Week 1

Better get into baseball imo.

MLB's plan...

1.  Play all games in Arizona.

2.  No fans.

3.  No dugout.  Players sit spread apart in stands.

4.  Umpires stand further back.  Camera n computers used to call strikes/balls.

And even that's risky.  The NFL can't come close to that in "social distancing" terms. 

Baseball is our only hope for sports this year.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think people would be very into football coming back until they see that inevitably a percentage of players are coming down with COVID and then the sport has to close up again anyway after two weeks. It’d be a cluster****. 

Right. And the scarier part of all that is they could have all acted as carriers before any started showing symptoms. Hard to imagine any of this being doable. No audience is a huge loss of income. The cost of accounting for every little minutiae in ensuring nobody transmits is preposterous. Now balance that out with the loss of revenue from no crowds at the games.

Tbh if I were the NFL, I would start surveying fans right now if they were willing to pay extra to watch on TV. That's the only way to make it work. And quite frankly I'd pay double the current cost of NFL Ticket at this point lol.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Beaches close 

Not a chance in the Tri-state area .

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also on this note, keep this in mind: Forget the crowds completely. Just think about a game itself on the field. Think of the amount of supplies that go into making sure one professional football game happens. All the little things. Now think about the idea that all it takes is one little slip from just one person in the supply chain of all those supplies for all those single games. How in the hell do you make that work?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Zeke Emanuel brother of Rahm Emanuel former mayor of Chicago also said the country should be shut down for 12 to 18 months. He's always been a nut case..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/07/ezekiel_emanuel_us_must_stay_locked_down_for_12-18_months_until_theres_a_vaccine.html

Anything to take down Trump and to usher in progressive large government programs.

• WTF? 2

20 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Unfortunately some of the Entertainment industry is already folding.  I am a professional actor and all of my future gigs have been cancelled.  Both in Theatre and TV.  Of course the industry as a whole will survive but there are a lot of projects that were slated to start the summer that have been canceled and will never be done. It’s going to affect a lot of writers more than anything, especially playwrights.  Pretty much any new play that was scheduled has been canceled instead of being postponed. Whereas some TV and movie gigs are just being postponed until the fall. Also the entire commercial department of my agency has been let go. Even though the industry itself will survive there are a lot of people who are going to be out of work for a very long time.

Covid is speeding up the already approaching death of movie theaters. AMC and Regal about to go bankrupt. Many Broadway theaters, most of which were were already in bad financial shape, will be done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

We need to start to push back before this becomes a thing. See article below

a) we should test outside the stadium much like we check for alcohol coming in.

b) need therapeutics in summer to help treat folks 

c)football without fans would never be the same 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillymag.com/news/2020/04/09/coronavirus-nfl-season-eagles-zeke-emanuel/%3famp=1

Nice thread.

Theres no push to cancel the NFL season underway anywhere other than in your thread title

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice thread.

Theres no push to cancel the NFL season underway anywhere other than in your thread title

Actually when public health officials are all over tv taking about no large gatherings for the year they essentially are 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also on this note, keep this in mind: Forget the crowds completely. Just think about a game itself on the field. Think of the amount of supplies that go into making sure one professional football game happens. All the little things. Now think about the idea that all it takes is one little slip from just one person in the supply chain of all those supplies for all those single games. How in the hell do you make that work?

It’s going to take a massive marketing push to make any of this work, because the logistics are impossible to sort. Fortunately, the NFL has a lot of practice selling acceptable risk with the whole concussion scandal that nobody ended up caring about

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With your luck, Jamal Adams would have immunity.

• Haha 2