Push to cancel NFL season underway

Love all the self proclaimed experts in here.... You guys making absolute statements should stick to football. You don't know where we will be in weeks let alone months.

Some people are completely asleep sheep and other people are lost so far down the rabbit hole they make those of us with a healthy distrust in the system look bad.

Yeah this situation is real, the virus is devastating us as a whole. At the same time the authoritarians who would like to control you have mottos like "never let a good crisis go to waste." This one definitely isn't going to waste as civil liberties disappear overnight in ways we never imagined and our lives are potentially permanently transformed.

Individuals on both sides of the extreme only serve the system in keeping us divided and illusioned... Right where we're meant to be ...  We collectively get what we collectively deserve.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

As a season ticket holder for over 10 years, I'm having a hard time believing I'm going to be comfortable going to a game in September based upon the current trajectory we are on. I pray to god it changes, but I'm not risking my life to go to a game. 

Even though I will agree that this is more serious than I originally expected, I still can’t see this continuing on at straight up lockdown levels for another 3+ months.

The suspected death totals in the U.S. alone have dropped from around 2 million to around 60-70k over the last 4-5 weeks.

All in all, this is essentially shaping up to be a more contagious strain of SARS. But the main cause for blame is pretty damn clear. China has haphazardly allowed this sh*t to get out of control.

Whether you throw your support behind Trump or not is just happenstance.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

emotional. yo thinking i am shouting. i am not. just annoucning that i think your feckmlessness qualifies you as a right khunt.

so stupid that you thought Leo Williams was gonna have 10 sacks.

simply not caring that health care workers die. classy. 

Excuse me lightweight. please highlight any part of my post that showed an  insensitivity to health care workers.You want to name call, be my guest. I'm perfectly capable of defending myself. Anybody who compares the risks of a health care worker to that of a fan attending a game for three hours, 4 months down the road, with the same protections is the ignorant one. And please, re post my comments showing my insensitivity to health care workers. thanks.

Even though I will agree that this is more serious than I originally expected, I still can’t see this continuing on at straight up lockdown levels for another 3+ months.
The suspected death totals in the U.S. alone have dropped from around 2 million to around 60-70k over the last 4-5 weeks.
All in all, this is essentially shaping up to be a more contagious strain of SARS. But the main cause for blame is pretty damn clear. China has haphazardly allowed this sh*t to get out of control.

I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen. This isn’t the first major pandemic the world has had, but it’s probably the worst one since airline travel became so routine. There is also a chance we might get a second and third wave (Spanish flu had 3 waves I believe). I’m not getting into politics on this message board (I’ve made that mistake before), I’m just saying that sports is pretty low on my list of priorities. I’ll risk my health to get food for my family and to go to work and produce income, but a football game? Not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, genot said:

The virus originated in China. By the time the chinese finally came clean about how the virus spread, this Country, and every other Country already had thousands of asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus. We asked the Chinese if we could have a team of health officials in China to study the strain, to see how it spreads and mutates. We were denied. They kicked international journalists out of the country, to hide what took too long for us to learn. That's fact. Blame them. Just look at the numbers their reporting about the amount of people in their country infected, and you'll realize the gross deception they're engaged in. This is one reason for state government. I think States taking the lead on this, is the only way this could be managed. There closer to the problem, they can make those decisions that affect they're State. That's why we have Governors and Mayor's. Etc, Etc. You want them too pass the buck to Washington. I'm sure Gov Cuomo has spoken to the NIH, and CDC, a hundred times.

How do the states know about it then. Since they don’t have international intelligence the federal gov does. And they told the admin about it in Nov. Plus they got rid of their CDC rep in China whose job was to report on these kind of things last summer. And the infrastructure set up by two previous administrations on virus detection because there have been 3 of them in 20 years they were fired. There was no prep with over 3 years and many warnings.  As for China lying you’re right. But when asked about it in early 2020 Trump with all that intelligence said he believed President Xi. He was also told this not only by intelligence agencies but Peter Navarro and Alex Azar, etc. 

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen. This isn’t the first major pandemic the world has had, but it’s probably the worst one since airline travel became so routine. There is also a chance we might get a second and third wave (Spanish flu had 3 waves I believe). I’m not getting into politics on this message board (I’ve made that mistake before), I’m just saying that sports is pretty low on my list of priorities. I’ll risk my health to get food for my family and to go to work and produce income, but a football game? Not so much.

The Jets already killed Carl. How many more victims do they want?!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

If the NFL had so much as a meaningful practice lined up within the next 2 months, then I would certainly agree.

There would at least be an indefinite suspension of OTA’s and TC until things start to clear up.

But TC isn’t slated to start until the end of July. The NFL has already made it clear that the draft will carry on at its scheduled time.

If, god forbid, we’re still in what essentially amounts to a nationwide lockdown come mid-late June...then you may very well see a postponement of the NFL season by maybe 4-6 weeks. 

But a full season cancellation?

This would literally have to be ‘96 Dustin Hoffman in ‘Outbreak’ type sh*t for that to happen.

Baseball? Basketball?

That’s one thing...

But take away American’s football and they get a special sort of ornery and pissed off.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the NFL had so much as a meaningful practice lined up within the next 2 months, then I would certainly agree.

There would at least be an indefinite suspension of OTA’s and TC until things start to clear up.

But TC isn’t slated to start until the end of July. The NFL has already made it clear that the draft  will carry on at its scheduled time.

If, god forbid, we’re still in what essentially amounts to a nationwide lockdown come mid-late June...then you may very well see a postponement of the NFL season by maybe 4-6 weeks. 

This would literally have to be ‘96 Dustin Hoffman in ‘Outbreak’ type sh*t.

Because I know you are a fellow comic book geek, did you see that Disney pushed back Black Widow (and the rest of phase 4) until November?

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We won’t be locked down in September but whether they will allow a gathering of 80k people is a different story 

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

what about " you care i dont"  is vague"?

image.png

You were suggesting that my post about wearing a mask and gloves to a football game, meant i was in some way not caring about our health care workers. That didn't even cross my mind. Of course i care about what they're going through. Im all of a sudden Mr Evil. I think the risk factor isn't even in the same galaxy. That's why health care workers didn't even cross my mind. So when you posted about dead nurses, i was kind of hurt by it. Of course i care. How could you think otherwise. Like i said. health care workers, and what they're going through hasn't crossed my mind in any of these posts. Sooner or later, we have too figure out a way to get back to a normal. a new normal for a while. We can't close down our lives that much longer. Than the cure will be much worse than the illness.

8 hours ago, Jets723 said:

The most important thing is safety. If they do it without anybody is the stadium that’s better than nothing 

Maybe the NFL will just pretend COVID doesn't exist just like CTE. That's how concerned they are about safety.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

But TC isn’t slated to start until the end of July. The NFL has already made it clear that the draft will carry on at its scheduled time.

This would literally have to be ‘96 Dustin Hoffman in ‘Outbreak’ type sh*t for that to happen.

Baseball? Basketball?

That’s one thing...

But take away American’s football and they get a special sort of ornery and pissed off.

I tend to agree but people are worried about mass gatherings. The fall wave is supposed to be around October November snack in the middle of the season. I want nothing more then for a season to go. But delay won’t work. If wide and available Testing isn’t out with therapeutics we are going to have a problem. If one governor decides not to let a stadium open it screws up everything. The California Governor already said he doesn’t see allowing any stadiums to operate in September. That’s not a good sign 

2 minutes ago, genot said:

You were suggesting that my post about wearing a mask and gloves .....

making a ignorant statement claiming you know that wearing a mask and gloves will protect someone...  ANYWHERE

when health care workers have still caught this virus and died....   after wearing masks and gloves...

responding

YOU CARE , I DON"T

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

How do the states know about it then. Since they don’t have international intelligence the federal gov does. And they told the admin about it in Nov. Plus they got rid of their CDC rep in China whose job was to report on these kind of things last summer. And the infrastructure set up by two previous administrations on virus detection because there have been 3 of them in 20 years they were fired. There was no prep with over 3 years and many warnings.  As for China lying you’re right. But when asked about it in early 2020 Trump with all that intelligence said he believed President Xi. He was also told this not only by intelligence agencies but Peter Navarro and Alex Azar, etc. 

There is so much disinformation, i just can't answer you. What i can do is post these remarks. Peter Navarro isn't an expert in that area. Azar is, but so is Fauci.https://saraacarter.com/jan-flashback-dr-fauci-said-coronavirus-is-not-a-major-threat-to-the-people-of-the-united-states/

27 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The projected death totals dropped because the vast majority of society locked themselves in their homes. It didn't drop because the virus turned out to be less deadly.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Losmeister said:

making a ignorant statement claiming you know that wearing a mask and gloves will protect someone...  ANYWHERE

when health care workers have still caught this virus and died....   after wearing masks and gloves...

responding

YOU CARE , I DON"T

Health care workers are working 10 hours a day, 5, 6, days a week, in hospitals where dozens are infected. I don't see how you can say someone, wearing the same protection at a football game for three hours is comparable. Sooner or later we're going to have to figure out this new normal. This country can't survive economically or emotionally for too much longer. That includes sport.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Because I know you are a fellow comic book geek, did you see that Disney pushed back Black Widow (and the rest of phase 4) until November?

Sure

And I get where you’re coming from. But any movie from Marvel is virtually guaranteed to make at least double, if not triple or quadruple, it’s original investment.

The postponement of “Black Widow” the movie won’t hurt Mavel or Disney at all. But the postponement, delay or outright cancellation of many of their monthly books just might. The extinction of physical prints of stuff like comics and monthly mags was already imminent. I could see a crisis like this just ushering it forward by 10 or so years.

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The projected death totals dropped because the vast majority of society locked themselves in their homes. It didn't drop because the virus turned out to be less deadly.

looking at the history of the 1918 flu pandemic the virus mutated several times, the final mutation was the most deadly but it also ended the spanish flu - it killed too efficiently and didn't leave enough weak hosts alive for the virus to continue. if my dime store epidemiology is correct, It's why we don't have the Spanish flu anymore.

meanwhile this coronavirus has also shown signs of mutation which means a vaccine will be tough to nail down but it also means it could mutate into something more or less deadly at any point.  It also apparently has a higher R0 than previously thought (5.7 )making it more akin to Smallpox than Influenza (in terms of how contagious it is)

What this all means... we are going to need 80% herd immunity before things go back to normal, which is why Fauci etc are now saying November. 

as for football maybe they can pull it off without crowds but it's going to be a massive undertaking and one positive test the whole thing kinda falls apart. If Germany can do Bundeseliga, we should be able to figure something out a few months later.

but let's be real we are Jets fans if there was a season Sam Darnold would swab hot like every week. The dude got MONO back when life was normal. He doesn't do Social Distancing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Lol?

Spanish Flu was as bad as it was for a number of reasons, one of the major being that WW1 was active and massive amounts of military personnel were infected crossing the Atlantic. That was 100 years ago, medical advances should have us in a much better position and yet here we are. Travel is more prevelant now so a new virus is harder to contain than in 1918, but the job not only the U.S has done, but other countries as well, is subpar at best and laughable at worst.

China is not trustworthy, the numbers they put out are skewed and the government that runs the country has a corrupt agenda. With that being said, they notified the world in early-mid January about the cases. Some forward thinking countries took necessary action, as other world leaders called it a hoax or wrote it off as a political motive. Our very own so called leader was calling the coronavirus a "hoax", still even in early March. 

That tone changed when people started getting tested and unfortunately passing away. And guess what, those numbers would look 10x worse if we were prepared and had sufficient testing to actually have an accurate understanding of how many people have the virus. Many are not even showing symptoms, just living their day to day as asymptomatic carriers. Can't have the virus if you don't get tested, right?

It's funny, in these situations when things go well and no one dies, people cry that it was an overreaction or hoax. Waste of resources? Or maybe things just worked and the plans in place prevented disaster? Apparently if only 100,000 people die that's a successful response to COVID-19, lol....But just last month it was a fake political tool that was being used against Trump. I can't keep up with all the mental gymnastics.

Wrong. In early January we knew about the cases in China. How it was spread, was unknown. when we found out it was community spread, we banned all travel to and from China. He never referred to the virus as a hoax. Just the democrats response to it, a hoax.You can disagree with that, but him calling the virus a hoax, is just totally untrue.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I tend to agree but people are worried about mass gatherings. The fall wave is supposed to be around October November snack in the middle of the season. I want nothing more then for a season to go. But delay won’t work. If wide and available Testing isn’t out with therapeutics we are going to have a problem. If one governor decides not to let a stadium open it screws up everything. The California Governor already said he doesn’t see allowing any stadiums to operate in September. That’s not a good sign 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

looking at the history of the 1918 flu pandemic the virus mutated several times, the final mutation was the most deadly but it also ended the spanish flu - it killed too efficiently and didn't leave enough weak hosts alive for the virus to continue. if my dime store epidemiology is correct, It's why we don't have the Spanish flu anymore.

meanwhile this coronavirus has also shown signs of mutation which means a vaccine will be tough to nail down but it also means it could mutate into something more or less deadly at any point.  It also apparently has a higher R0 than previously thought (5.7 )making it more akin to Smallpox than Influenza (in terms of how contagious it is)

What this all means... we are going to need 80% herd immunity before things go back to normal, which is why Fauci etc are now saying November. 

as for football maybe they can pull it off but it's going to be a massive undertaking and one positive test the whole thing kinda falls apart. If Germany can do Bundeseliga, we should be able to figure something out a few months later. 

I think that is the key piece. We are going to have months of information from other leagues (both in America and in dozens of other countries) to see how they pull it off. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Prediction: if there is any football this season, it will be without crowds. 

Maybe this is a stupid comment, but I cant see myself enjoying a football game on TV without fans in the seats.  The roar of the crowd gets me revved up.  Same for any sport.  We all say we will take it over nothing, but I think it would suck.  As for fans in the stands with masks on - what they arent going to sell food and beer?  If they dont and say they disallow tailgaiting, the fans will show up loaded and those masks will go flying.  I'm sorry, absent a major medical breakthrough, professional sports are gone until next spring - the earliest.

9 minutes ago, genot said:

Wrong. In early January we knew about the cases in China. How it was spread, was unknown. when we found out it was community spread, we banned all travel to and from China. He never referred to the virus as a hoax. Just the democrats response to it, a hoax.You can disagree with that, but him calling the virus a hoax, is just totally untrue.

Fake news!

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

as for football maybe they can pull it off but it's going to be a massive undertaking and one positive test the whole thing kinda falls apart. If Germany can do Bundeseliga, we should be able to figure something out a few months later. 

While I appreciate your thought process and observations, I don’t see how 99% of the population can absorb another 2-4 months of paralysis? The collapse of an economic powerhouse will have world-wide repercussions beyond the loss of life from starvation, depression, panic and crime at some point. 

Yes I’ve taken it to the possible worse case scenario, but it has to be considered. Also consider the # of people surviving the virus vs. those lost to it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Maybe this is a stupid comment, but I cant see myself enjoying a football game on TV without fans in the seats.  The roar of the crowd gets me revved up.  Same for any sport.  We all say we will take it over nothing, but I think it would suck.  As for fans in the stands with masks on - what they arent going to sell food and beer?  If they dont and say they disallow tailgaiting, the fans will show up loaded and those masks will go flying.  I'm sorry, absent a major medical breakthrough, professional sports are gone until next spring - the earliest.

Agreed crowd energy is half the game. It be terrible silent 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So this is getting locked until I have time later to sort some things out. Just read a few political posts. Seems like this has gone way off topic.

Everybody is being peaceful. If people start getting nasty, then ok.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Everybody is being peaceful. If people start getting nasty, then ok.

Well three people reported a post of yours. I'm busy now but I have to look at what's going on later.

Alright this one has to stay locked. We have a thread on the virus in the NFL forum and one in the Lounge. Those conversations are going pretty well. This one is a train wreck.

No politics, it is still a rule here.

• Upvote 1