If any of you are bored during quarantine...

52 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

A play I wrote was made into a film a while ago. It went to seven festivals, winning audience choice for best short film at the biggest one, The Richmond International Film Festival. It's fun! 25 minutes. It's called Walt Whitman Never Paid For It

It's on Amazon Prime, but I think the vimeo link still works.

At the very worst you'll see one of the best pair of boobies in recent mammary.

Huh no shit?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

A play I wrote was made into a film a while ago. It went to seven festivals, winning audience choice for best short film at the biggest one, The Richmond International Film Festival. It's fun! 25 minutes. It's called Walt Whitman Never Paid For It

You should've lead with that dude. Anyone got a time stamp :D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

PROPS!!

• Upvote 2

Good stuff. Black and white was a surprise, but I think I get it as giving a timeless atmosphere; solid choice. Nice use of in-your-face camera angles during in-your-face dialog. I enjoyed it a lot. More suggestions?

Also, I tried to follow up on 9:17 girl. It seems the actor HAS a name (Amanda Greer). I saw that she was in a three episode short titled “Exiled Out East”. Although I’m pretty sure that a 2015 piece has no reference to pandemic it likely strikes a few ironic notes (socialite flight from faux pas vs socialite flight from pandemic; the latter a hot topic “out east”). I can’t find where to watch that one (netflix, amazon, youtube: no luck). Any clues?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

analyzing the film, I would say that he definitely did not go back to her to sleep with her. Rather, his flashback was either what really happened (and he didn't tell his brother, because he doesn't feel he has to), or he never did sleep with her, but he imagined he did, and that's the flashback. Being that he is a spiritual type  of person, and from the words of the poem, both of these are possibilities.

33 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

analyzing the film, I would say that he definitely did not go back to her to sleep with her. Rather, his flashback was either what really happened (and he didn't tell his brother, because he doesn't feel he has to), or he never did sleep with her, but he imagined he did, and that's the flashback. Being that he is a spiritual type  of person, and from the words of the poem, both of these are possibilities.

This is interesting! When I wrote the play, and in production/performances,  there was no cutaway to him having sex with her, it's just lights out after his last line. The implication was that he does go back upstairs. For me, after having this big cathartic fight with his brother, he sees things a little more clearly and has "GET OVER yourself, man." moment. It's actually a relief for the audience as well as too much poetry can be like drinking maple syrup.  He's actually more mature than he was at the top of the play.

Funny thing about that end piece, that book landed that way on the first take. It was insane. We just wanted it to fall as it was a symbol of him tossing away the grandiose ideas of love and sex that had kept him kind of infantilized like the kids he watches in the playground, but it landed perfectly. You couldn't do that in a hundred tries if you wanted to.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, greengeek said:

Good stuff. Black and white was a surprise, but I think I get it as giving a timeless atmosphere; solid choice. Nice use of in-your-face camera angles during in-your-face dialog. I enjoyed it a lot. More suggestions?

Also, I tried to follow up on 9:17 girl. It seems the actor HAS a name (Amanda Greer). I saw that she was in a three episode short titled “Exiled Out East”. Although I’m pretty sure that a 2015 piece has no reference to pandemic it likely strikes a few ironic notes (socialite flight from faux pas vs socialite flight from pandemic; the latter a hot topic “out east”). I can’t find where to watch that one (netflix, amazon, youtube: no luck). Any clues?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Thanks! I hate close ups but they're a necessary evil.

Exiled Out East huh? I'm sure Amanda has it somewhere. lol

I wasn't even supposed to play the role. I was pressed into service at the last minute, basically, after replying all to an email by mistake. We had other actors do the reading and one dropped out, the one playing Oksana, so we used the girlfriend of the actor playing Georgie. She somehow thought she had the role for the full production and I stupidly replied to the director's email talking about how we needed to find an Oksana. He read it, she saw it somehow and suddenly, he was out as well.

Georgie is supposed to be large, lumpy (shlumpy?) Kind of a gentle giant. Oksana is, in my original concept, either a heavy, shorthaired overly enthusiastic  "butchy" woman or a dried out raisin of a woman with straggly hair, the kind of woman that seems to have a cigarette permanently attached to her lip and had the life sucked out of her since elementary school. I wanted an authentic Russian actress, but had a tough time finding one and meeting Amanda at my place for the audition, she totally seduced me and the part was hers. Completely changed my idea of the character.

The play is more brutal than this production would have you believe. Anthony did a great job, but I'd like to do it again and keep the brutality and raw quality that I had envisioned.