Draft Rumors

SR24

Being that we’re 10 days out and with the virus we’ll probably see increased trade activity/rumors before the actual draft. I figured we’d dump all the rumors in here rather than individual posts

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

The big difference between the two seems to be that Henderson didn't play as physical (tackling) as Okudah.  I can't say how important that distinction is to teams....kind of a Deion vs. Darrelle argument I guess.  It's hard to see him going above Okudah but he could certainly be a top-15 pick.  Both of these guys feel like very safe picks to become solid #1 CBs.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

These tackles are going to fly off the board-especially if Tua and/or Herbert fall out of the top 10.  

It woudln’t shock me to see the Jets target one of their 2nd tier guys at 11.  

Tua will be a top 10 pick no doubt. Herbert or Love may end up a Patriot.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Coincidence that these are also 2 of 3 teams with longest current playoff drought?

The Bucs have spent recent high 2nd round picks on Oline (Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet). 

Donovan Smith was actually pick #33 so hes essentially a first round pick. 

The Jets haven’t invested a first or second round pick since. Vlad Ducaase. 

The blame here goes directly to Mike McCagnan. For all his warts Mike Tannenbaum built the best Oline in the NFL whch remained solid until 2016 (only weak spot was RT with Breno Giacomini-Carpenter, Colon, and Slauson were all good). 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini did that. Post-Mangini, Tannenbaum was drafting Ducasse and giving big money to the likes of Austin Howard and Wayne Hunter.

You're correct. Tannenbaum was more of a financial/cap guy.  The HC basically dictated the draft even though technically Tannenbaum made the selections.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You're correct. Tannenbaum was more of a financial/cap guy.  The HC basically dictated the draft even though technically Tannenbaum made the selections.

Which is why tanny was a good gm with Mangini but fell apart when he listened to Rex and drafted guys like coples.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

These tackles are going to fly off the board-especially if Tua and/or Herbert fall out of the top 10.  

I don’t think JD will reach for a OL.  If the top 4 are off the board by 11 then we probably have all the top WR on the board.  Or JD will trade down 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think JD will reach for a OL.  If the top 4 are off the board by 11 then we probably have all the top WR on the board.  Or JD will trade down 

One thing that may pop it's head up again is the OBJ trade stuff, not necessarily with the Jets, but in general. Most mocks have the Browns going OT. If they do move OBJ, could see them going WR at #10. Just a thought, probably not likely though.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini did that. Post-Mangini, Tannenbaum was drafting Ducasse and giving big money to the likes of Austin Howard and Wayne Hunter.

Tannenbaum actually didn’t pay Austin Howard big bucks who was solid for the Jets (he received a big contract from Oakland). If I recall Wayne Hunter filled in well at the end of the 2010 season/in the playoffs  and leveraged that into a starting job the following season where he was a disaster. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Tannenbaum actually didn’t pay Austin Howard big bucks who was solid for the Jets (he received a big contract from Oakland). If I recall Wayne Hunter filled in well at the end of the 2010 season/in the playoffs  and leveraged that into a starting job the following season where he was a disaster. 

Point being, Tannenbaum mysteriously forgot how to scout offensive line talent after Mangini left.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Coincidence that these are also 2 of 3 teams with longest current playoff drought?

this Cimini tweet provokes 2 insta-reactions 

1- Typical Cimini tactic "Could" be to stoke the already raging Jets fan interest in OT, knowing they will go WR, to make the inevitable post draft articles easier (and perhaps on some level, to troll us all). 

2 - When I see a stat like this in sportsbetting "the Jets are 7-17-1 at Oakland" it's a negative trend. It doesn't make me say "HOT DAMN, BOIS! WE'RE CERTAINLY DUE TO PICK OL THIS YEAR!" 

Just now, bitonti said:

this Cimini tweet provokes 2 insta-reactions 

1- Typical Cimini tactic "Could" be to stoke the already raging Jets fan interest in OT, knowing they will go WR, to make the inevitable post draft articles easier (and perhaps on some level, to troll us all). 

2 - When I see a stat like this in sportsbetting "the Jets are 7-17-1 at Oakland" it's a negative trend. It doesn't make me say "HOT DAMN, BOIS! WE'RE CERTAINLY DUE TO PICK OL THIS YEAR!" 

I think Chuma Edoga’s game film is enough motivation to draft five OTs this year

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

That’d be a great landing spot for him, but Mara won’t cross Kraft or Goodell. 

Good point. Also, when they see my mock for the Giants here, and when the actual draft happens, I'm sure my phone will be ringing off the hook. You will be on my short list to head up the scouting dept.?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good point. Also, when they see my mock for the Giants here, and when the actual draft happens, I'm sure my phone will be ringing off the hook. You will be on my short list to head up the scouting dept.?

I’m a terrible scout. You want me in PR. And I want a hot assistant who signs a waiver

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Chuma Edoga’s game film is enough motivation to draft five OTs this year

perhaps. if the right player falls (thomas or becton, maybe wirfs). 

but if Joe Douglas is such an OL savant, he could use the 11 pick on "a sure thing" at WR and find these 5 over the course of the next few rounds. 

Cimini has been predicting Henry Ruggs since December don't let this latest tweet appeal to what we all hope happens

that's not how the jets drafts usually go 

at least this year we don't need to see the fans boo the pick in person 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I doubt all 4 tackles are in consideration by JD at 11. I'm guessing there are 2, maybe 3. Remember that he is big on scheme fit, and, regardless of what the "experts" on this board say, JD hired Fant to be the starting LT.

I also think he won't trade back, unless his picks for tackle AND receiver are all gone at 11, which is highly unlikely. Remember two things about JD; first, he wants impact players, and you are more likely to get them in the early first round; and second, he insisted on a 6 year contract for a reason. He isn't going to try to put together a super bowl team this year; he knows that's not going to happen. So better to get some top talent this year in a couple of key areas than to try to fill every hole. If a top tackle or top receiver (on HIS board, that is) is available at 11, I think he takes the pick and doesn't trade back.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

A Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland at #11 would feel like a reach in my opinion.  There would be a collective groan amongst Jets fans if they take one of those guys at #11.  Trading back into the mid/late teens and getting one of them....that's a little more palatable.  But if the "top 4" OTs are gone and the Jets take a Jone or Cleveland then they'd likely be leaving a top WR on the board and would possibly be looking at the QB2 or QB3 and couldn't trade back.  It would be disappointing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1