Draft Rumors

SR24

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Wills and Thomas are going #4 and #5 in this draft.  I doubt Wirfs and Becton will make it to the Jets unless they trade up.  A team like the Broncos will leapfrog the Browns and Jets to select one of the remaining two. 

A lot depends on what happens at #3.  
I don’t think Gettleman can pass up Isaiah Simmons if he’s there, and that would shape the entire top-10.  

If Miami trades up to #3, DET can snag pick #39 and still get Okudah at #5. Miami gets their QB. This nonsense of them waiting until #18 is malarkey.  Everyone else can go defense but I suspect Chargers will go QB and CeeDee reunites with Murray in ARI. 

QB, EDGE, QB, EDGE, CB, QB, DT, WR, DT/CB, Andrew Thomas. 

We probably get our pick of Wills/Wirf/Becton at #11, and still get one after trading down with DEN or ATL.

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

A lot depends on what happens at #3.  
I don’t think Gettleman can pass up Isaiah Simmons if he’s there, and that would shape the entire top-10.  

If Miami trades up to #3, DET can snag pick #39 and still get Okudah at #5. Miami gets their QB. This nonsense of them waiting until #18 is malarkey.  Everyone else can go defense but I suspect Chargers will go QB and CeeDee reunites with Murray in ARI. 

QB, EDGE, QB, EDGE, CB, QB, DT, WR, DT/CB, Andrew Thomas. 

We probably get our pick of Wills/Wirf/Becton at #11, and still get one after trading down with DEN or ATL.

Beyond Burrow and Tua the other QB's in this draft are not franchise QB's. And Tua has way too many injury issues even beyond his hip that will keep GM's awake at night. He's going to fall like a lead balloon. Herbert will drop bc he's just not that franchise QB.  The other QB's are getting hyped up bc the class is weak overall. You guys are setting yourselves up for a disappointing night when these QB's fall and 4-5 tackles go in the top 10. The only guy I would be happy that made it to 11 is Thomas bc he's the only one that is going to play LT in the NFL from the minute he steps into the field.  2 of the others are probably Guards and the other is a RT.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Beyond Burrow and Tua the other QB's in this draft are not franchise QB's. And Tua has way too many injury issues even beyond his hip that will keep GM's awake at night. He's going to fall like a lead balloon. Herbert will drop bc he's just not that franchise QB.  The other QB's are getting hyped up bc the class is weak overall. You guys are setting yourselves up for a disappointing night when these QB's fall and 4-5 tackles go in the top 10. The only guy I would be happy that made it to 11 is Thomas bc he's the only one that is going to play LT in the NFL from the minute he steps into the field.  2 of the others are probably Guards and the other is a RT.

No way Choo choo. Teams always reach for a QB. Always. Burrows to Bengals, Tua to Fins, Herbert to Chargers. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Sorry Choon, I think you’re wrong again. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i think this board is paranoid and obsessed with tackles b/c we never draft them, ever.  other teams have other needs.  teams covet qbs, they want cbs, they want pass rushers, they want dominant DL, etc.  

And Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh MY!

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If you think you are a wr away from the Superbowl it's good businesses. I think they would be more likely to give a pick next year then give everything up in one year though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

They are far from a WR to win a Super Bowl.  LB, Cb, DE, S, G, C They have alot of positions to upgrade.

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Lamb is a run after the catch guy right? A 4.5 guy in the Big 12 can do that. In the NFL, a little different. Sammy Watkins has had the same issue. I wouldnt hate the pick either though.

Watkins doesn’t have the hands that lamb has, or the hips. Can’t make plays when you drop the ball or are reduced to go routes.

lamb can catch a ball thrown high with just his Pinky and make a move for extra yards. 

51 minutes ago, Vader said:

Watkins doesn’t have the hands that lamb has, or the hips. Can’t make plays when you drop the ball or are reduced to go routes.

lamb can catch a ball thrown high with just his Pinky and make a move for extra yards. 

Ridiculous

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

I guess the question is.  If all 4 tackles were on the board at 11 would you pass them up for a WR or CB and say,  "oh I'll just draft one in the 2nd round". The answer is no.  So why would other teams do that who have just as big of a need at tackle as the Jets do? Its wishful thinking on your part. The players are there and the need is there.  Tackle is the most important position on the field besides QB. That's why they get paid as much as they do and that's why it's very rare for a top one to become available in FA.

I don't think its a money thing when selecting a LT over a WR.  

Of the 3 top paid offensive linemen 2 are right tackles, Lane Johnson being the highest paid offensive lineman.

6 WRs get paid more than Anthony Castanzo, the highest paid left tackle.  DeAndre Hopkins is looking for a new contract in the $18M range that would make that 7 WRs.  

There are 4 offensive linemen that make $16M or more.  There are 10 WRs that make $16M or more.

Wide receiver has become the 2nd highest paid individual position behind the QB.  Offensive linemen remain the highest paid positional group but that is mainly due to the increase of salaries for the right tackle and guard positions.  Center still remains low relative to the other positions.  Scherff is the highest paid left guard and is the 6th highest paid lineman, Thuney 7th, Brooks 10th and Martin 11th all play right guard.

4 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Wide receiver has become the 2nd highest paid individual position behind the QB.  

Great point. This is why you're seeing elite WR's getting traded like it's no big deal. Guys like Odell, Hopkins, Antonio, Diggs, Cooks, Cooper, etc......

Teams are figuring out that spending big bucks on WR's just aint worth it. You never see O-linemen get traded.

This is why I question taking a WR over a LT in the 1st round. You build around the LT, not the WR.

• Upvote 3

On 4/17/2020 at 1:18 PM, T0mShane said:

That said, McGinn’s stuff is always great. I’m pretty sure they’re all grumpy old Packers scouts, but you love to see the unvarnished appraisals.

This quote about Becton 

You could hit on him. You know what he is? He’s Trent Brown (6-8 ½, 353, 5.26).

which sounds kinda meh until you realize Trent Brown got a 66 million dollar contract that briefly made him the highest paid offensive lineman of all time 

im sure someone equally meh like Jack Conklin has eclipsed that number this offseason but im too lazy to look it up 

these guys have value 

but if they're all out of starting left tackles and no trade down, they should just take Ruggs and be done with it. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I don't think its a money thing when selecting a LT over a WR.  

Of the 3 top paid offensive linemen 2 are right tackles, Lane Johnson being the highest paid offensive lineman.

this is a function of the top drafted Left tackles being busty of late (top 10 overall picks, the last 5-7 years)

like Eric Fisher is OK... and if Greg Robinson had a brain in his skull he could be the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. 

but Tyron Smith and Trent Williams feels like a generation ago, draft-wise. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This quote about Becton 

You could hit on him. You know what he is? He’s Trent Brown (6-8 ½, 353, 5.26).

which sounds kinda meh until you realize Trent Brown got a 66 million dollar contract that briefly made him the highest paid offensive lineman of all time 

im sure someone equally meh like Jack Conklin has eclipsed that number this offseason but im too lazy to look it up 

these guys have value 

but if they're all out of starting left tackles and no trade down, they should just take Ruggs and be done with it. 

Yeah, I’ve been saying that even bad OL picks tend to be useful players for a long time, whereas bad WR picks can’t get on the field

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I’ve been saying that even bad OL picks tend to be useful players for a long time, whereas bad WR picks can’t get on the field

Sure but Thomas or Becton probably don't get close to 11. 

meanwhile these top 3 WR, if they are all there at 11, all seem like they will have functional pro careers at the very least

It's possible they are all good. 

I could see 2 of the top 4 being tackles being busts/ not JD's favorite 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

meanwhile these top 3 WR, if they are all there at 11, all seem like they will have functional pro careers at the very least

This, everyone assumes that all 4 of these tackles will be studs.  I do prefer a tackle but ruggs would change the offense instantly.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is a function of the top drafted Left tackles being busty of late (top 10 overall picks, the last 5-7 years)

like Eric Fisher is OK... and if Greg Robinson had a brain in his skull he could be the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. 

but Tyron Smith and Trent Williams feels like a generation ago, draft-wise

From our perspective, Marvin Powell and Brick.

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wirfs or Wills at 11 and I'm doing back-flips of joy!!

• Upvote 2

I’m not so sure the Jets are upset if they have to start their rookie tackle at LT. Not ideal but if the rookie tackle wins the RT job but not the LT job it’s still an upgrade at an important position - and maybe he makes it out to LT eventually.

We haven’t talked about it a lot but with those wide sets I wonder if Wirfs is out. Believe he gets beat inside a lot. I know the thought is he could be an elite guard which is a nice floor but I’m not sure the Jets have a lot of room inside.

• Sympathy 1

"Until you get [the offensive line] fixed, until you have the depth there, until you have the right personality on that line, you could throw Henry Ruggs out there or you could throw CeeDee Lamb out there ... they're not going to get the ball away on a regular basis. As rich as this [wide receiver] crop is, I believe it still has to start up front." -- NFL Network analyst and former NFL lineman Brian Baldinger.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If Becton is available and the Jets have concerns -- Douglas has placed an emphasis on character -- it could prompt the Jets to draft a wide receiver at No. 11. In that case, the player to watch is Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb. From what I hear, he might have the edge over the Alabama wideouts, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III. Lamb is the slowest of the three, but he is a big target (6-foot-2) and is known as a YAC (yards after catch) machine.

- Cimini 

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Seems to me like this is an argument for staying put at 11 and either taking a likely starter at OT or WR.  Dropping back we could miss out on both.

I agree.  With an opportunity to snag a top talent, I see no reason to trade back to get a pair of 2nd tier talents.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Seems to me like this is an argument for staying put at 11 and either taking a likely starter at OT or WR.  Dropping back we could miss out on both.

But 15 or 16 with Broncos or Falcons I think is a good spot too. Lowest I would go. Get extra picks and still take a tackle or WR like Jefferson. And take a “contributor” with that extra pick, which we fully need. Or to even move up for a Center. 

Fundamentally I would want to go with a tackle prospect over a wr, assuming they are graded closely. Of course, if the top 4 lineman are gone and we're stuck with the choice of 2 or all 3 top wrs at 11, just pencil in your top choice and be done with it.

The jets need to get a good player (almost) regardless of position as there is such a dearth of talent on the team, especially on the offensive side of the ball.