Draft Rumors

SR24

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Wirfs is projected to be a guard. We have Lewis and Van Roten there.  Top talent but what do we do with RT or LT? 

Lewis and van roten should never make a team pass on a top notch upgrade even at guard.

My worry his him passing on C and or OG later in the draft because he may think we are covered there.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

But, to trade back 4 or 5 spots, most you are getting is likely a 3. 

It is not worth it to me to risk losing a starting OT or WR to get an extra 3.  If we drop back, good chance Tampa takes an OT at 14; Raiders likely take a WR at 12.  Eagles could trade up ahead of us for a WR as well.  I am usually all aboard team trade back, but not this year.  Stay at 11 and take an elite tackle or WR.  Just my opinion, but its not worth adding a mid 3rd round pick to risk losing an elite talent that is there for the taking at 11.

You can still get a very good long term starter at OT imo. But you make a fine point. Screw it. Stay at 11!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lewis and van roten should never make a team pass on a top notch upgrade even at guard.

My worry his him passing on C and or OG later in the draft because he may think we are covered there.

Agreed but what do we do with the other T position. Put a cardboard cut out of Forest Greg?

Gregg-Forrest-2.jpg

14 hours ago, Vader said:

Watkins doesn’t have the hands that lamb has, or the hips. Can’t make plays when you drop the ball or are reduced to go routes.

lamb can catch a ball thrown high with just his Pinky and make a move for extra yards. 

RAC is more about making people miss and not so much about speed. RA was fast but had the RAC ability of Ben Watson. Jerry Rice was an all time great after the catch, he ran a 4.6

The perfect scenario for me for the offensive line would be to trade back in the 1st and pick up another 3rd and 4th. Take Josh Jones in the 1st. He's a great fit for the scheme.  Then take 2 interior lineman within rounds 3 & 4.

• Upvote 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-insider-predicts-draft-trade-for-alabama-wr-jerry-jeudy

Legendary Broncos Insider Predicts Draft Trade for Top WR Jerry Jeudy

Chad Jensen

2 hours ago

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FeE

The NFL rumor mill is cranking out all sorts of buzz on the Denver Broncos' first-round aspirations. Some have GM John Elway moving up from pick 15 to draft one of the top-4 offensive tackles, while others have the Broncos moving up to pick 10 to grab Alabama speedster Henry Ruggs III. 

A new rumor has hit the grapevine and considering the source, it'd be wise to take heed. Legendary Denver reporter Woody Paige added some new smoke to the Dove Valley conflagration on Twitter Sunday morning. 

fLPqWNpY_normal.jpg

@woodypaige What's your final thought on Broncos at 15 or do they move up/down ?

It could go either way. Don’t believe Broncos stay at 15. My sources tell me they go up to 8 or 10 and get Jeudy.

Paige's sources are legit. He's broken more stories on the Broncos than I could ever recount here, including the secretive deal Elway had in place with Mike Shanahan in December of 2017 to return to coach the Broncos for a second stint, which was shot down by team President and CEO Joe Ellis.

As it relates to the draft, last year, Paige was a bullhorn on the Broncos' interest in Drew Lock, and even pegged Noah Fant and Dalton Risner as likely Denver selections. All three wound up in Orange and Blue before day two was over. 

What happens next for the Broncos in the draft? Don't miss out on any news and analysis! Take a second and sign up for our free newsletter and get breaking Broncos news delivered to your inbox daily!

Paige says the Broncos are going to move up to 8 or 10. And in so doing, get into position to take the first WR off the board. According to his sources, that WR is the other Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy. 

For what it's worth, Jeudy was viewed as the near-undisputed WR1 in this class when the pre-draft process started at the end of the 2019 college football season. There were some draftniks who ranked Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb ahead of him, but the majority liked Jeudy as the cream of the crop. 

Then Ruggs went and ran a 4.27 40-yard dash at the Combine and all hell broke loose. Boards were reset and the 'Bama speedster was imminently tied to the Broncos, because, well, the Broncos want to add speed to the WR position. 

Meanwhile, Elway has been happy to send up various smoke signals to camouflage his true intentions in next week's draft. Holding three third-round picks this year, Elway certainly has the capital to maneuver up the board for the guy he wants. 

At this stage, it's hard to know which trail to follow but again, when Paige weighs in this close to the draft, fans should take heed. His sources reach the very top of the Broncos' hierarchy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-insider-predicts-draft-trade-for-alabama-wr-jerry-jeudy

Legendary Broncos Insider Predicts Draft Trade for Top WR Jerry Jeudy

Chad Jensen

2 hours ago

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FeE

The NFL rumor mill is cranking out all sorts of buzz on the Denver Broncos' first-round aspirations. Some have GM John Elway moving up from pick 15 to draft one of the top-4 offensive tackles, while others have the Broncos moving up to pick 10 to grab Alabama speedster Henry Ruggs III. 

A new rumor has hit the grapevine and considering the source, it'd be wise to take heed. Legendary Denver reporter Woody Paige added some new smoke to the Dove Valley conflagration on Twitter Sunday morning. 

fLPqWNpY_normal.jpg

@woodypaige What's your final thought on Broncos at 15 or do they move up/down ?

It could go either way. Don’t believe Broncos stay at 15. My sources tell me they go up to 8 or 10 and get Jeudy.

Paige's sources are legit. He's broken more stories on the Broncos than I could ever recount here, including the secretive deal Elway had in place with Mike Shanahan in December of 2017 to return to coach the Broncos for a second stint, which was shot down by team President and CEO Joe Ellis.

As it relates to the draft, last year, Paige was a bullhorn on the Broncos' interest in Drew Lock, and even pegged Noah Fant and Dalton Risner as likely Denver selections. All three wound up in Orange and Blue before day two was over. 

What happens next for the Broncos in the draft? Don't miss out on any news and analysis! Take a second and sign up for our free newsletter and get breaking Broncos news delivered to your inbox daily!

Paige says the Broncos are going to move up to 8 or 10. And in so doing, get into position to take the first WR off the board. According to his sources, that WR is the other Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy. 

For what it's worth, Jeudy was viewed as the near-undisputed WR1 in this class when the pre-draft process started at the end of the 2019 college football season. There were some draftniks who ranked Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb ahead of him, but the majority liked Jeudy as the cream of the crop. 

Then Ruggs went and ran a 4.27 40-yard dash at the Combine and all hell broke loose. Boards were reset and the 'Bama speedster was imminently tied to the Broncos, because, well, the Broncos want to add speed to the WR position. 

Meanwhile, Elway has been happy to send up various smoke signals to camouflage his true intentions in next week's draft. Holding three third-round picks this year, Elway certainly has the capital to maneuver up the board for the guy he wants. 

At this stage, it's hard to know which trail to follow but again, when Paige weighs in this close to the draft, fans should take heed. His sources reach the very top of the Broncos' hierarchy.

It’s moves like this that will let at least one of the tackles fall to 11.  Whether douglas takes one, takes a wr or trades back, well,...

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

This quote about Becton 

You could hit on him. You know what he is? He’s Trent Brown (6-8 ½, 353, 5.26).

which sounds kinda meh until you realize Trent Brown got a 66 million dollar contract that briefly made him the highest paid offensive lineman of all time 

I'm a huge Trent Brown fan. I watched him dominate in 2018 when the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Patriots run game fell off a cliff last year without him. Also was decent last year with the Raiders despite playing with a bunch of injuries (believe he made the Pro Bowl).

So sign me up if Becton = T. Brown. But if you ask me, players of that size rarely succeed and are high injury risks.

• Upvote 1

Seems that we like Lamb more than Jeudy based off Cimini's article today.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82870/closer-look-at-jamal-adams-situation-could-it-get-ugly-for-jets

2. Draft buzz: The news that Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton had a flagged drug test at the combine could affect the Jets' draft strategy. The sense is they prefer to take a tackle with the No. 11 pick, but there's a decent chance Iowa's Tristan Wirfs, Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr. and Georgia's Andrew Thomas could be off the board.

If Becton is available and the Jets have concerns -- Douglas has placed an emphasis on character -- it could prompt the Jets to draft a wide receiver at No. 11. In that case, the player to watch is Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb. From what I hear, he might have the edge over the Alabama wideouts, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III. Lamb is the slowest of the three, but he is a big target (6-foot-2) and is known as a YAC (yards after catch) machine.

3. Trader Joe: The Jets haven't made a draft-day trade in the first round since 2009, when they moved up for quarterback Mark Sanchez. (They jumped up for Sam Darnold in 2018, but that trade was executed a month before the draft.) Don't be surprised if Douglas ends the streak.

Douglas, who came from two trade-happy organizations (Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles), could bring a similar philosophy to the Jets in his first draft as GM. Sources say he is open to dropping a few spots in the first round. He would probably still get a much-needed lineman or wide receiver, along with extra picks. It would be consistent with his entire game plan this offseason, as the focus has been on volume.

"Joe is going to do very well in the middle rounds of this draft," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout who worked with Douglas in Baltimore and Philadelphia. "That's where the sweet spot is. I would not be shocked if, either at 11 or 48, he traded down to get even more picks in that third- and fourth-round range, because then he can really upgrade the roster with this draft."

6. Where's the board? Because it's a virtual draft, with team officials working remotely, the Jets won't have a traditional draft board. In past years, they had a board that was protected under lock and key in the war room. This year, it will be an electronic draft board, one that can be accessed on a laptop.

Memo to Douglas and Gase: Write down your passwords and store them in a safe place. Take it from someone who knows the frustration of a forgotten password.

7. A touch of Bill Belichick: The Jets will be drafting with a new grading system, which Douglas learned from the Ravens and installed last summer upon his arrival. Former Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome picked up the system from the Cleveland Browns, where he worked under Belichick in the 1990s.

Simply put, it differs from the Jets' previous system in that it places a greater emphasis on scheme fit and preferred positional traits. Under the previous regime, they graded players in a vacuum, so to speak -- an objective evaluation based on overall talent.

"We use numbers and alphabet," Newsome told ESPN. "It allows you to put players in a category. In that category, you have a very good understanding of what that player can do and who he’s being compared to."

Example: If a player receives a grade of 6.9 C, it means first-year starter with a character issue. They use letter notations that cover everything from body type to speed, with a grading scale that maxes out at 8.0. In essence, the Jets are speaking a different language under Douglas.

8. Bold prediction: Players always slip in the draft. The Jets know that better than most (see: Darnold, Adams and Leonard Williams). This year, the Most Likely to Slip is Isaiah Simmons, Clemson's do-everything defender. What if he falls to 11? That would present a fascinating decision.

9. Cap update: The Jets have $18.8 million in cap room, per OvertheCap.com, but that doesn't include the Jordan Jenkins, David Fales and Arthur Maulet contracts.

10. The last word: "Until you get [the offensive line] fixed, until you have the depth there, until you have the right personality on that line, you could throw Henry Ruggs out there or you could throw CeeDee Lamb out there ... they're not going to get the ball away on a regular basis. As rich as this [wide receiver] crop is, I believe it still has to start up front." -- NFL Network analyst and former NFL lineman Brian Baldinger.

• Upvote 1

It does not matter which ol prospect anyone on the board likes it just matters who JD likes.  If he thinks Josh Jones has the most upside and can trade down ad get him and get a 2nd or 3rd in the process its all good.  That could turn into a center or an edge or another wr while leaving our 2 and 3 s open for getting a primary wr and cb.

Alabama LB Terrell Lewis medically flagged 

A number of teams, dare I say half the league, have medically failed Terrell Lewis of Alabama. Lewis missed most of the 2017 season and all of the 2018 campaign, a total of 25 games, with separate injuries.

Lewis tore a ligament in his elbow during the first game of his sophomore season and suffered a torn ACL in his right knee the following summer, which sidelined him for all of 2018.

There’s no denying that Lewis is a terrific 3-4 outside linebacker prospect for the next level when healthy and at the top of his game. I grade Lewis as a second-round prospect off his game film, but if he takes a drastic drop on draft weekend, we’ll all know why.

Who are the Dolphins truly targeting at quarterback and left tackle?

A source close to Stephen Ross tells me that the Dolphins owner is talking as though quarterback Justin Herbert is not in the team’s plans with the fifth overall pick. The source tells me that he feels it’s either Tua Tagovailoa with pick number five or a position player at that spot with a later maneuver for Utah State’s Jordan Love, which I wrote about last Friday. PFN has also been reporting since March that it’s likely Love is the next quarterback on their board after Joe Burrow and Tagovailoa, not Herbert.

Who is the position player the Dolphins could take with the fifth pick? Sources tell me it’s Andrew Thomas of Georgia, who would fill a need at left tackle.

If they don’t end up with Thomas, I continue to hear that Ezra Cleveland is a hot name in the Dolphins war room. I’m told the Dolphins would also consider Isaiah Wilson or Josh Jones with their final pick in round one if they don’t select a tackle with their initial two selections.  Wilson would fill a hole at right tackle.

Receivers to be popular at back end of round one

The way it looks right now, there could be a lot of receivers selected late in round one, or at least more than most expect.  Surveying the last dozen teams in the first frame, almost 90% have said they are looking for a receiver or linebacker in the first round.

3 minutes ago, King P said:

Receivers to be popular at back end of round one

The way it looks right now, there could be a lot of receivers selected late in round one, or at least more than most expect.  Surveying the last dozen teams in the first frame, almost 90% have said they are looking for a receiver or linebacker in the first round.

That run on WRs will be fascinating to watch if the Jets go OT at 11.  48 is looking more and more like no mans land for the WRs.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That run on WRs will be fascinating to watch if the Jets go OT at 11.  48 is looking more and more like no mans land for the WRs.  

That’s why I really wonder if the Eagles would have to move from 21 unless there is a guy they just have to have. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

That’s why I really wonder if the Eagles would have to move from 21 unless there is a guy they just have to have. 

21 is a good spot though, unless they had their eyes on one of the top 3 WRs.  The cost would be so much for them, I just don’t see it happening.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

48 and either 68 or 79 should be able to get us right into the sweet spot for that second wave of WRs.  If it becomes necessary, I would not hesitate to move up

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

48 and either 68 or 79 should be able to get us right into the sweet spot for that second wave of WRs.  If it becomes necessary, I would not hesitate to move up

There’s a pretty reasonable scenario to get up to the Giants’ pick at 36 with the cost being moving from the second third to the Giants’ fourth. Think that would be a win win and is he quite happy. Would love to move up in the second without losing a pick.

Do think somebody slips to 48. But medical may be a factor so would have to wonder if the Jets question that as well.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think that’s becoming more and more of a reality.  Ultimately I prefer a higher quality of prospect than quantity of prospects.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

John Lynch is looking to trade out of 31, that should be a sweet spot for Douglas to try to make a deal happen 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think that’s becoming more and more of a reality.  Ultimately I prefer a higher quality of prospect than quantity of prospects.  

This time of year, people go draft pick crazy.  Its all about trade back, add picks.  But I am with you.  I want to see the Jets come out of this draft, at the very least, with a starting OT and a starting WR.  If we have to give up a 3 in order to improve our chances of doing that, so be it.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Expecting a late 1st round run with teams that have the luxury of reaching for a WR.   WRs that may have 2nd round grades but won't be there at the end of the 2nd.  Then the run to continue into the early 2nd round with teams having filled other holes with their first picks.

The consensus mock drafts have been around 6-7 first round wide receivers and another 7-10 in the 2nd.  Jets could be there at the start of the third wave of wide receivers or find some really good value at other positions.  Borderline 1st round edge, cb and offensive linemen that fall.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

21 is a good spot though, unless they had their eyes on one of the top 3 WRs.  The cost would be so much for them, I just don’t see it happening.  

Atlanta jumped up for Julio Jones and gave up a 1st. 2nd, 4th and a 1st and 2nd the following year. They went from 27 to 6. They made a bold move to help their franchise QB. I could see the Eagles doing the same.  Obviously it wouldn't be as expensive but I could see it being a 1st, 2nd and 4th this year to move up 10 spots. 

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Atlanta jumped up for Julio Jones and gave up a 1st. 2nd, 4th and a 1st and 2nd the following year. They went from 27 to 6. They made a bold move to help their franchise QB. I could see the Eagles doing the same.  Obviously it wouldn't be as expensive but I could see it being a 1st, 2nd and 4th this year to move up 10 spots. 

Chart is a little more than a first, a second, and a fourth. Comp third they have instead of the fourth would get them there. Maybe more demand if they really want a guy and the Broncos move up to 8 for Jeudy?

If teams jockey to get those two guys ahead of 11 could be favorable for the Jets landing a tackle. Or obviously provide opportunities to move down if they want to do that. Maybe one is off the board before 11 and teams want to leapfrog Vegas. Or the Jets can leverage that into getting a fourth from the Raiders so they can secure their guy.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This time of year, people go draft pick crazy.  Its all about trade back, add picks.  But I am with you.  I want to see the Jets come out of this draft, at the very least, with a starting OT and a starting WR.  If we have to give up a 3 in order to improve our chances of doing that, so be it.

While that's true you can also say that the draft is a crap shoot and by trading down you get more chances at hitting the bulls eye.  JD needs to pick his spots.  That being said if there is a player on top of his board that is available you make the pick IMO.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

John Lynch is looking to trade out of 31, that should be a sweet spot for Douglas to try to make a deal happen 

The Jets #48 and #79 add up to the 49ers #31 on pro-football-reference’s draft pick trade chart. Maybe the ‘9ers throw in their 7th, too. That’s a trade I like a lot in theory. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

Yannick Ngakoue has officially lost his mind. 

Absolutely, and Ngakoue is killing his future contract right now.  But it's also pretty clown shoes for a co-owner to be engaging in the Twitter battle.  Certainly Ngakoue is killing his value, but Khan continuing to respond is only making it worse for potential trade compensation the Jaguars could get back.

Also, Ngakoue is like....

tenor.gif?itemid=5575846

• Upvote 2

Buzz has swirled about both Miami and Los Angeles passing on quarterbacks at Nos. 5 and 6 overall, Albert Breer of SI.com notes, adding that tackle may be each team’s fallback choice. Both franchises possess a need at tackle, and each would be in line to land one of the draft’s coveted prospects at this position.

Worst case scenario for Jets if no QB’s are taken within the top 10

• Upvote 2