Draft Rumors

SR24

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

1989 draft on ESPN 2...looking good here Jets

65768426-BD99-4938-A934-A3CA8A75EADF.jpeg

As somebody born after 89 (95) let’s test my jets knowledge. Is that Lageman? And kiper says “it’s obvious to me the Jets don’t know what the draft is all about? “ 

hopefully I’m not too far off 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I'm all for taking an offensive lineman in round 1. However, it's not one or the other, we 8 picks to address our needs. We went heavy on the offensive line in free agency and even if we pick a WR in round 1 we can still address the offensive line in the draft. WR is a big need also.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

How does Florida’s Jabari Zuniga fit in at the next level?

Florida’s Jabari Zuniga will be a second-day selection Friday, but where does he fall on the second day and what position does he play in the NFL? Most teams grade Zuniga as a third-round edge rusher, while I presently have him listed as a second-round defensive end.

While most feel Zuniga will ultimately end up as a 4-3 defensive end, there are several 3-4 defensive teams who like his ability to rush the edge. Teams most interested in Zuniga include the Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, and New York Jets, who own two selections at the top of Round 3.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

As somebody born after 89 (95) let’s test my jets knowledge. Is that Lageman? And kiper says “it’s obvious to me the Jets don’t know what the draft is all about? “ 

hopefully I’m not too far off 

Pretty sure it was Roger Vick. 

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

It’s amazing how little time he has had so far to throw the ball.  Like I said doesn’t matter how talented you are if you have no protection your life is gonna be much much harder as a QB.  That said I never like to say we HAVE to draft a OL in Round 1.  It depends on how the first 10 picks go.  It might be a situation where the 4 big ones are gone and we have our pick of the litter at WR.  We could always go OL in Round 2 AND 3 if we wanted to.  So it depends 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Pretty sure it was Roger Vick. 

1989 was Lageman. Kiper went nuts because he thought the Jets should have taken Hart Lee Dykes, a WR fro Okla.St., who went two picks later. Dykes, by the way, had a short career, think 2 years, and never made an impact, mostly due to injuries. Lageman, while definitely way over drafted, had a decent career.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

He literally was under pressure as soon as he took the snap lmao... they definitely need to go OT at 11. Then I’d make a case that offensive line is actually good/above average.

Is that edoga at LT, I mean my god.. never put him on the left side again 

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Yes!  This is why Robbie Anderson who is a good receivers production was down. Not because Darnold can't get him the ball, its because Darnold was on his back.  If you draft any of the receivers first, they will have the same result.  Draft O Line.  One possibilty is if all tackles are off the board by the 11th pick, then you take the best WR and trade your 2nd to Washington for Trent.

• Sympathy 1

I was thinking to myself that this was another Brick Ferguson draft.  The Jets, picking 4th, literally did not have a LT on the roster.  They picked Brick, and he was pretty skinny comeing out of school.  He started right away, played ok year 1, and was a solid if unspectacular starter for the rest of his career.

Woody nicknamed his son "Brick," for whatever that is worth.

But Brick was the best pick there.  After Brick was AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Donte Whitmer (safeties!), Ernie Sims, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and (at 12) Haloti Ngata.  Ngata ended up better than any of the DL the Jets picked, often higher than 12.  

I like JD and hope he does well this weekend.  He does appear to have placed himself in a tough spot, as he could end taking a T with a lower grade than another player, based on his grading system.   That is the power of a Trent Williams trade.  

From what I have seen and heard from JD, I don't see him reaching for T 4 or 5 if there is a higher rated impact player on his board, like WR, CB or even LB.  Maybe rather than BPA in round 1 and 2 and maybe 3, GMs should draft PTB-player that makes your team the best it can be that year.  These guys should all want to keep their jobs-so draft the players in the first three rounds who are least likely to get you fired.   If the Jets have a decent OL next year, regardless of who they pass up, they will likely be ok.  That requires picking up tackles in rounds 1 and/or 2.  

The over/under for Jets wins is 6.5.  If those are all hard fought and the team plays respectably, maybe Gase survives that.  I don't see Gase managing that adversity well.  The Jets win 6 in 2020 and he loses the lockerroom, Gase gets fired.

Maybe that is why Adams gets traded.  But if Adams does get traded, a top pick ends up being used for another jackknife safety.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was thinking to myself that this was another Brick Ferguson draft.  The Jets, picking 4th, literally did not have a LT on the roster.  They picked Brick, and he was pretty skinny comeing out of school.  He started right away, played ok year 1, and was a solid if unspectacular starter for the rest of his career.

Woody nicknamed his son "Brick," for whatever that is worth.

But Brick was the best pick there.  After Brick was AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Donte Whitmer (safeties!), Ernie Sims, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and (at 12) Haloti Ngata.  Ngata ended up better than any of the DL the Jets picked, often higher than 12.  

I like JD and hope he does well this weekend.  He does appear to have placed himself in a tough spot, as he could end taking a T with a lower grade than another player, based on his grading system.   That is the power of a Trent Williams trade.  

From what I have seen and heard from JD, I don't see him reaching for T 4 or 5 if there is a higher rated impact player on his board, like WR, CB or even LB.  Maybe rather than BPA in round 1 and 2 and maybe 3, GMs should draft PTB-player that makes your team the best it can be that year.  These guys should all want to keep their jobs-so draft the players in the first three rounds who are least likely to get you fired.   If the Jets have a decent OL next year, regardless of who they pass up, they will likely be ok.  That requires picking up tackles in rounds 1 and/or 2.  

The over/under for Jets wins is 6.5.  If those are all hard fought and the team plays respectably, maybe Gase survives that.  I don't see Gase managing that adversity well.  The Jets win 6 in 2020 and he loses the lockerroom, Gase gets fired.

Maybe that is why Adams gets traded.  But if Adams does get traded, a top pick ends up being used for another jackknife safety.

i don't think douglas will reach if he thinks the tackle available to him isn't what he wants.  there will be other OL in later rounds who can be functional players, good starters for many years.  i do think the probability that the jets take a wr at 11 is legit, in the 30%-40% range.

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

It’s amazing how little time he has had so far to throw the ball.  Like I said doesn’t matter how talented you are if you have no protection your life is gonna be much much harder as a QB.  That said I never like to say we HAVE to draft a OL in Round 1.  It depends on how the first 10 picks go.  It might be a situation where the 4 big ones are gone and we have our pick of the litter at WR.  We could always go OL in Round 2 AND 3 if we wanted to.  So it depends 

Heck even Brady stunk when he didn’t have time to throw. That’s why we saw a lot of dink and dunk from him the last couple years. He got the ball out in less than 3 seconds most of the time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Heck even Brady stunk when he didn’t have time to throw. That’s why we saw a lot of dink and dunk from him the last couple years. He got the ball out in less than 3 seconds most of the time.

Yeah, he’s been dinking and dunking since Moss left, and as you said these last few years definitely were very noticable.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

1989 was Lageman. Kiper went nuts because he thought the Jets should have taken Hart Lee Dykes, a WR fro Okla.St., who went two picks later. Dykes, by the way, had a short career, think 2 years, and never made an impact, mostly due to injuries. Lageman, while definitely way over drafted, had a decent career.

I thought he wanted the Jets to take Andre "Bad Moon" Rison, who had 700 career receptions and 10,000 yards.

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Yes!  This is why Robbie Anderson who is a good receivers production was down. Not because Darnold can't get him the ball, its because Darnold was on his back.  If you draft any of the receivers first, they will have the same result.  Draft O Line.  One possibilty is if all tackles are off the board by the 11th pick, then you take the best WR and trade your 2nd to Washington for Trent.

Except these WRs can run more than a Go route which takes longer to develop. Darnold got the ball to Crowder just fine

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Source is telling me Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy‘s draft stock may drop due to reported knee issues that haven’t been disclosed yet. Jeudy underwent surgery for a meniscus injury in 2018. #NFLDraft2020

That reeks of Gurley/Michel 2.0.  If this is true, that is really bad.

• Upvote 1