Draft Rumors

SR24

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Someone said it earlier (wish I could attribute this classic JN wisdom) "You guys fight over the 4th hottest blonde at the party, I'll find the hottest brunette." 

I've been bangin' brunette's (some hot, most not so hot) for 15 years!  Give me that 4th hottest blonde!!!  I hear she's working on perfecting some tricks inside of her who-hahhh that will make my toes curl!!!

depending on how Thomas, Wills, & Wirfs are coming off the board I think moves up to 7 or 9 are definitely in play.  If those guys are gone & we are still at 11, despite wanting a trade down ... unless JD believes the 2nd level guys, Jones/Cleveland/Johnson/etc, are very close in value, I think he will just make his "2nd tier" OT pick there.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/oklahoma-lb-kenneth-murray-has-virtual-meeting-scheduled-with-six-teams/

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray will have video conferences with several teams including the Texans, Ravens, Cowboys, Falcons, Jets and Cardinals.

https://nfltraderumors.co/oklahoma-wr-ceedee-lamb-has-had-virtual-meetings-with-jets-raiders-49ers/

Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb said on Instagram (via @TheSFNiners) that he’s had virtual meetings with the Jets, Raiders and 49ers in recent days. 

The New York Jets with the 11th pick in the 2020 NFL are proud to select, Kenneth Murray ILB Oklahoma.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

You're right that it shouldn't matter, but they should be available later in RD1, and you can trade down and still get one with additional picks.

Fair point and I do agree but the original point being it was a ‘reach’ at 11 but perhaps less so later Rd 1....of course if we play the draft and parlay an additional pick or two while still getting the player we want then of course that’s a win but if you believe Jones or Cleveland is a player worthy of a 1st round pick at say 18 or 20 then I don’t see how picking him at 11 makes much of any difference...ultimately it comes down to is the player going to be any good?....do we trust our guys to target and pick good, successful footballers.

the Colts did that by targeting players they would succeed and boldly picked them ahead of where they were “slotted’ to go.

another aside....this draft might be the most unpredictable in awhile due to the Covid - 19 situation....the normal swirling of rumours just doesn’t seem to be there.....contact between the asking heads at pro days and the like clearly isn’t there this year so it’s possible we aren’t hearing who the risers and fallers are. 

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think that when you have a draft with 55 WRs available you DO NOT take a WR at #11. There is no Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, or even Andre Johnsons in this draft (Freaks of Nature). 

There are a bunch of solid guys. This WR class will be far better than 2014 where the 1st round WRs were Sammy Watkins (4), Mike Evans (7), Odell Beckham (12), Brandon Cooks (20), Kelvin Benjamin (28).

Then had Davente Adams (53), Allen Robinson (61), Jarvis Landry (63), as successful WRs from the 2nd round.

Jet are picking at 48 in the 2nd & have two 3rd rounders. Best Value is a LT if the guy on their board is there or a CB if CJ Henderson falls to #11. 

I would much rather go into the season with Thomas, Bechton, Wirfs, Wills, or CJ Henderson + Leviska Shenaults, than Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs + a leftover LT at #48. Just my opinion that we HAVE TO solidify 2 high paid positions in this draft with 2 rookie contracts before we even get to round 3 picks. I wouldn't even mind if JD was targeting Denzel Mims who I love & moved up to get him if he got his LT in the 1st. 

Go back in history & see how many teams nail 2 third rounders. Odds are against you. 

If JD somehow signs Griffin, gets his LT in the 1st, his WR in the 2nd, a CB like Jaylon Johnson with his 1st third rounder, that would be a helluva start for our GM.

Going into free agency & the draft.

1- Solidifies the interior Oline & OT (Fant, Van Roten, McGovern,Lewis), so an addition of a top LT would be icing on that cake.

2- Solidifies CB depth with Pierre Desir, Maulet, plus add Johnson at CB with Bless being in his 2nd year, it's not NY Jets 2009, but it's not the Vance Joseph years either. 

3- Lets Robby go, brings in Doctson & Perriman. On the surface doesn't seem to be an upgrade but add Mims & Herndon back with a much better Oline in front of Sam & Bell and it's a whole new dynamic. 

4- Resigning Jenkins & Burgess, getting Mosely back adding Griffin would be a huge addition with strength at Edge, top flight Interior Dline with great depth, very good LB core, top safeties in Adams & Maye, could be enough to offset average outside CB play + Poole is back in the slot.

And the moves above would be before we get to the 4th & 5th round where we could find more Oline depth & a backup RB for Bell like Anthony MacFarland! 

Going through this exercise I'm convinced we are NOT drafting a War at #11.

I am drawing a blank. Who is Griffin?

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Really agree with you here but the whole value argument has always baffled me. Ultimately does the player turn out good or not. If either Jones or Cleveland turn into a 10 year starting LT with D’Brick level consistency and borderline all-pro status then does it matter whether he was picked at 11 or 18? Aside from the additional pick it always seems this argument is simply about instant gratification rather than whether the player was any good.

Back in the day I remember the Colts getting pelted for picking Edgerrin James & Dwight Freeney...both were considered slight reaches at the time but nobody remembers that now(apart from me)

anyway just my thoughts... I like both JJ and Ezra either way

Great post.  Agree.....it doesn't really matter when he's drafted if that guy becomes a very good starting LT for a decade.  But at the time of the pick we don't know that.  And, that's the rub.  Do we pass on a better prospect at a different position (say a Jerry Jeudy) in order to elevate a guy a little higher because he plays a position of slightly more importance and need?

In 2017, we took a better prospect (Jamal Adams) at a position of less importance than Edge Rusher and left Derek Barnett on the Board.  I think that decision worked out for the Jets because Adams is a significantly better S than Barnett is a DE/Edge player, even though Barnett is good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

These guys are all projects.

yes JD will take a tackle at 11 if it's a tackle he wants. But legit they all could be gone, then what? Josh Jones at 11?

We can't ignore the "Tua is broken" workout tape or Herbert being the world's biggest Puss-wah.  

if/when there's an early run at OT, it's a KC Tyreek Hill league and we are all living in it. 

Ruggs isn't half the receiver Lamb or Juedy is.  He didn't have even close to their production in college.  Tee Higgins blows him away statistically and he's 6'4", 215 pounds and a jump-ball machine.  Ruggs would be an absolute epic fail at 11.  Who loved him before his 40 time came out? He runs fast = Tyreek Hill?  No it doesn't.   Kid isn't even top 5 WR in this draft.  Sorry if i sound like a prick.  I like you, just not Henry ruggs III.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think that when you have a draft with 55 WRs available you DO NOT take a WR at #11. There is no Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, or even Andre Johnsons in this draft (Freaks of Nature). 

There are a bunch of solid guys. This WR class will be far better than 2014 where the 1st round WRs were Sammy Watkins (4), Mike Evans (7), Odell Beckham (12), Brandon Cooks (20), Kelvin Benjamin (28).

Then had Davente Adams (53), Allen Robinson (61), Jarvis Landry (63), as successful WRs from the 2nd round.

Jet are picking at 48 in the 2nd & have two 3rd rounders. Best Value is a LT if the guy on their board is there or a CB if CJ Henderson falls to #11. 

I would much rather go into the season with Thomas, Bechton, Wirfs, Wills, or CJ Henderson + Leviska Shenaults, than Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs + a leftover LT at #48. Just my opinion that we HAVE TO solidify 2 high paid positions in this draft with 2 rookie contracts before we even get to round 3 picks. I wouldn't even mind if JD was targeting Denzel Mims who I love & moved up to get him if he got his LT in the 1st. 

Go back in history & see how many teams nail 2 third rounders. Odds are against you. 

If JD somehow signs Griffin, gets his LT in the 1st, his WR in the 2nd, a CB like Jaylon Johnson with his 1st third rounder, that would be a helluva start for our GM.

Going into free agency & the draft.

1- Solidifies the interior Oline & OT (Fant, Van Roten, McGovern,Lewis), so an addition of a top LT would be icing on that cake.

2- Solidifies CB depth with Pierre Desir, Maulet, plus add Johnson at CB with Bless being in his 2nd year, it's not NY Jets 2009, but it's not the Vance Joseph years either. 

3- Lets Robby go, brings in Doctson & Perriman. On the surface doesn't seem to be an upgrade but add Mims & Herndon back with a much better Oline in front of Sam & Bell and it's a whole new dynamic. 

4- Resigning Jenkins & Burgess, getting Mosely back adding Griffin would be a huge addition with strength at Edge, top flight Interior Dline with great depth, very good LB core, top safeties in Adams & Maye, could be enough to offset average outside CB play + Poole is back in the slot.

And the moves above would be before we get to the 4th & 5th round where we could find more Oline depth & a backup RB for Bell like Anthony MacFarland! 

Going through this exercise I'm convinced we are NOT drafting a War at #11.

There is said to be about 24 WR's with 3rd round grades or better. The problem is that how many of those guys have the traits that Douglas and Gase are looking for? Maybe 10-12.  We know, based on reporting, that Douglas values scheme fit a ton when drafting. That means a lot of those WR's will not be on their board. That completely narrows their options if they want a day 1 starter. At worst they have to use their 2nd on a WR to make sure they get a guy they feel can play in their scheme and play a lot day 1. Then probably another WR early 3rd round. Even though when I do mocks choosing the tackle at 11 seems to be the smart play I'm not convinced that's what they'll do.

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Revis>Deion

Different players.    Revis best season was probably better than Deion's, but over the whole career probably Deion was better.  

Yes, we can argue all day.  I watched almost every Revis game for his Jets career.  I also lived in Dallas the whole time Sanders was here, and watched him play many times as well.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Ruggs isn't half the receiver Lamb or Juedy is.  He didn't have even close to their production in college.  Tee Higgins blows him away statistically and he's 6'4", 215 pounds and a jump-ball machine.  Ruggs would be an absolute epic fail at 11.  Who loved him before his 40 time came out? He runs fast = Tyreek Hill?  No it doesn't.   Kid isn't even top 5 WR in this draft.  Sorry if i sound like a prick.  I like you, just not Henry ruggs III.

Production in college means absolutely nothing during the draft process. It's about projection and skill set.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Different players.    Revis best season was probably better than Deion's, but over the whole career probably Deion was better.  

Yes, we can argue all day.  I watched almost every Revis game for his Jets career.  I also lived in Dallas the whole time Sanders was here, and watched him play many times as well.

Sanders was a good cover CB and a gat punt returner but he couldnt tackle pee Wee Herman.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There is said to be about 24 WR's with 3rd round grades or better. The problem is that how many of those guys have the traits that Douglas and Gase are looking for? Maybe 10-12.  We know, based on reporting, that Douglas values scheme fit a ton when drafting. That means a lot of those WR's will not be on their board. That completely narrows their options if they want a day 1 starter. At worst they have to use their 2nd on a WR to make sure they get a guy they feel can play in their scheme and play a lot day 1. Then probably another WR early 3rd round. Even though when I do mocks choosing the tackle at 11 seems to be the smart play I'm not convinced that's what they'll do.

Mims & Pittman at #2 & #3 would be fun.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Jets should dangle #11 to Belichick with talks that they can draft Herbert or Tua. Then JD should rape BB by taking 3 of his early picks to do so.

The pats want Lawrence.  They are tanking for him

Tua’s hip is made of glass and Herbert is a crapshoot

I am thinking that we might move on Trent Williams...I mean, at this point who knows!

There have been some thinking we might draft 3-4 lineman.  Don't think that happens.  You don't want most of the OL going into free agency at the same time.  Too risky to either have to spend a LOT of money in one area all at once or risk losing cohesion.

I would love to see a trade down, but there is nothing wrong with Shane Lemieux in the 2nd and Hennessey in the 3rd to play centre either.

12 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I posted this over in the Jets subreddit, but did anyone know that WR Van Jefferson out of Florida is the son of Jets WR coach Shawn Jefferson? He has a 3rd-4th round grade, wonder if this plays a role in whether jets target him or not. 

Yes, he is one of the 3rd round on guys I really want the Jets to get

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Tampa and Denver are absolutely looking OLine.  Denver is probably similar to the Jets in that both OT and WR are needs.  Tampa is all-in on protecting the ancient Tom Brady and already has weapons.  If anything other than OLine the Bucs are looking defense.

Exactly. Tampa is a concern for the trade back theory. I'm telling ya if Thomas or Becton are there you really do have to take one.  maybe even Wills or Wirfs depending on how confident JD is they can make the switch to LT. If they can't that leaves Fant as the LT and suddenly I don't feel so good. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Me, going into the season with Andrew Thomas at tackle and Denzel Mims at receiver:hell yeah GIF

They'd have to trade up to get Mims which would probably cost us a 3rd rounder.  Maybe we can give the team the rights to Polite.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The New York Jets with the 11th pick in the 2020 NFL are proud to select, Kenneth Murray ILB Oklahoma.

That would be a Jeff Lageman redux. I could hear Mel Kiper now, "The Jets STILL don't know what the draft is about". 

But, as humorous as these types of posts are this is the 1st draft in a long time that I have complete faith in the guy making the final decision Joe Douglas. We are coming out of this 1st round with either a top flight LT, a top flight WR or if CJ Henderson falls things could get very interesting. Just look at what Gilmore did for the Patriots defense. 

Taking CJ Henderson would not stop JD from moving up for Josh Jones or maybe another LT with one of those 3s. Could you imagine coming out of this draft with a top flight CB, a LT, and Pittman (#3), and Jefferson (#4), MacFarland (#5), and he gets Griffin to close his free agent shopping.

That roster could possibly win the AFC East! Defense: Last years Dline with addition of Griffin & a developing Burgess, returning Mosely, Adams + Maye, CJ Henderson with Bless moving to #2, with Poole returning? 

With a revamped Oline, Sam in his 2nd year of the offense, 2 young WRs (Pittman + Jefferson), Bell back in the groove, MacFarland backing up Bell, and Herndon returning should be enough to control the ball.

So looking forward to this draft. 

Drafts NEVER go exactly like mocks. You could be right, but, you could be wrong. We'll know by next weekend. 
They usually aren't off by terribly much, there are risers and fallers but both guys have been looking like risers. I expect mims to be gone early in the second or late in the first and pitmann to be gone early to mid second. 9-10 more days and we will see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1