Draft Rumors

SR24

Just now, jgb said:

Agree a decent veteran would be nice. Not as high on Matt Moore as others and he sure beats David Fails but I'd like to put at least a credible challenge to the laid back Cali kid and see how he responds.

If Darnold isn't a top 20 QB next season it will absolutely be time to bring in QB1 competition, whether via the draft or veteran acquisition.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If Darnold isn't a top 20 QB next season it will absolutely be time to bring in QB1 competition, whether via the draft or veteran acquisition.  

It will be entertaining at least around here if Darnold doesn't step up. Actually it'll be the same as now. About half saying his numbers aren't good enough, and the other half saying "not fair to judge him considering the situation he has been in the last 3 years."

I hope we can avoid that.

Just now, jgb said:

It will be entertaining at least around here if Darnold doesn't step up. Actually it'll be the same as now. About half saying his numbers aren't good enough, and the other half saying "not fair to judge him considering the situation he has been in the last 3 years."

I hope we can avoid that.

I want him to either prove he's a franchise QB beyond a shadow of a doubt or completely bottom out.  None of this "maybe" stuff anymore.  We've been dealing with that for decades.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's kind of an important factor when evaluating a QB, no?  Many a QB have had this problem plague them in their careers early on and never really go away.  Daunte Culpepper comes to mind.  

18 is a helluva lot of fumbles and he has to clean that up. Obviously unacceptable. But he was a rookie and is only a month older than Darnold.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's kind of an important factor when evaluating a QB, no?  Many a QB have had this problem plague them in their careers early on and never really go away.  Daunte Culpepper comes to mind.  

I asked how it compares to Darnold's rookie year and the reply is to give me a single stat showing how many fumbles Jones had. That's not a comparison. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jbone said:

I asked how it compares to Darnold's rookie year and the reply is to give me a single stat showing how many fumbles Jones had. That's not a comparison. 

Jones definitely also made out with less high school girls last season than Darnold.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want him to either prove he's a franchise QB beyond a shadow of a doubt or completely bottom out.  None of this "maybe" stuff anymore.  We've been dealing with that for decades.

We all know it'll never be that easy.

19 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
  • Buzz has surfaced about the Giants having a trade partner. While it is not certain the Jaguars are that team, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports tweets several GMs have pointed to the Giants moving down from No. 4 and the Jags climbing up from No. 8. The Giants are believed to be serious about wanting to move down. Although the Jaguars are believed to be planning to give Gardner Minshew a legitimate opportunity, JLC speculates a move up would be for a quarterback.

I don't buy it. Jags seem to be hitting complete reset. Why trade up this year? Start to rebuild your core, let Minshew have this season, and hope to be in play for Lawrence next year.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The term "seeing ghosts" was explained by Kurt Warner and others during the season. It had nothing to do with the OL. It was about Sam struggling to read what the defense was doing with their secondary schemes. 

No doubt the Jets OL was bad last year. Darnold had some good games, but he had some bad ones too. Let's not make believe he had no issues of his own. Hopefully both he and the OL perform better this year 

SO because Kurt Warner has a theory there are no other variables to consider?  lol 

F Kurt Warner right where he eats his eggs. :)  ???

In truth he's most likely right. Especially when playing the Pats and Bellichik's D. But it's more specifically the imagined pressure coming that's not there from disguises and such.  But let me stay this. Sam's time to actually be able to read a defense, especially one such as the Pats is extremely limited by the knowledge that at any second he could get smashed. He has no confidence in bis protection. How the hell is he supposed to take the time necessary to direct the D? Really? 

I looked at that statement as a positive from Sam's perspective. He's not on the sideline complaining about the obvious lack of protection from his JV OL. He's taking it on himself. Not in front of a podium but to himself. He's accepting responsibility as a default. That's a major deal man. The Kid is built the way I would want my QB to be mentally. 

?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think you have a draft to prepare for, Mr. Gettleman 

Like the man told you, you realize we used the 3rd pick in the draft last year on Quinnen Williams, right? He couldn't carry Leo's jock last year, so let's not get all smug about the Giants giving us a 3rd round pick.

At least until that guy we pick in the 3rd round becomes the solid starter Leo was/is. It wasn't his fault Macc picked him where he did, but he's been a solid pro.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Why isn't Vernon Gholston in the HOF?

Inability to turn? You can choose not to like Quinnen but it’s entirely because you’re choosing to do that. Comparing him to Leo is lazy. Physically Q is superior, in college Q was good at getting pressure and in the Pros the 22 year old has been decent with moments. JD rectified Leo’s mistake and we have a guy with good potential. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’s already a top 20 QB- easily. What measure are you using? Name 19 QBs that all being equal equal give the Jets a better chance to win, dak? Cousins? Jimmy G? Give me a break.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jbone said:

I don't know, you tell me? It's your argument.  Seems like Jones had a pretty solid rookie year. Don't see how it supports your premise.

I love @Jetsfan80 but I think sometimes he just likes to throw sh*t out there to rile people up.  

Personally, I would never do that... ?

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Like the man told you, you realize we used the 3rd pick in the draft last year on Quinnen Williams, right? He couldn't carry Leo's jock last year, so let's not get all smug about the Giants giving us a 3rd round pick.

At least until that guy we pick in the 3rd round becomes the solid starter Leo was/is. It wasn't his fault Macc picked him where he did, but he's been a solid pro.

It’s a 3rd and the difference in cap room between what Leo is going to get and what a 3rd rounder gets 

ill take a 3rd rounder and cap space over Leo any day 

• Upvote 2