Draft Rumors

SR24

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why do the Pats get their own reporter?  Lol.  Btw, who better to have as our reporter than Sal the Pal.  "Can't Wait!"

Thank God we didn't get Josina, I can't stand listening to that broad.

1 minute ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Don't do it. Too far of a drop off.

Kind of hard to say that when we don't know what we'd even be getting.  Supposedly this is a deep draft so I wouldn't mind getting more picks (assuming we can't get a top OT).

• Post of the Week 1

Good times already. Let’s see what Joe’s got for us.

11 for 21 and Dillard would be a good trade. Dillard has the skill set to be a productive tackle. He graded out very well his last 3 years in college. He also had a good preseason. That was followed up by a bad rookie season. It was noted that he would need to be developed as a rookie during the draft process. So his early struggles shouldn’t be a surprise. Also, that fact he had a good preseason suggests that he likely had trouble with recognizing stunts and all that jazz which are kept at a minimum during preseason. Experience should help him. If Dillard were in this draft, he’d be right there in the late first or early second.

• Upvote 1

IF we need to move up, it feels like 7 and 9 are our only logical places to go to.  I don't think we can realistically afford to go higher than 7 and we don't really need to.  If 2 OTs are gone by the time CAR's pick is up, I think we'd have to consider it.  If only 1 goes, than we can wait and either go to 9 or hope nobody else does.

So what should it cost?

Well CAR is an interesting option because the players they probably covet would likely be available at 11.  Simmons is the exception if he is there as he might not last, but Brown, Kinlaw, Henderson are all likely to make it there.  So they shouldn't need a huge premium but they would probably want our first 3rd round pick.  That would hurt, but if it was the difference between getting Wills or Jones, it might very well be worth it.  Consider that the gift from Gettleman being put to good use and if Will works out to be a Franchise LT for 10 years, it was a deal.

If we can hold off and move up to JAX at 9, it should be cheaper.  JAX is also not likely to miss out on their guy for sliding back 2 spots.  Our lower 3rd round pick feels like a bit too much to pay but I'd expect them to ask for that.  Maybe we can get back one of their low 4th rounders (they have 3 in the round) to balance it a bit more.  That trade I wouldn't mind so much if it guaranteed us the LT we wanted versus one we don't want.

The key is to consider draft picks as currency, not players.  Picks can and should be combined, split, traded and otherwise manipulated in order to improve the roster as much as possible.  Until two years ago, the priority was getting a QB.  We turned four picks into our QB and nobody regrets it.  Now if we have to turn two picks into our LT, I'm fine with that as well.  Yeah, I love picking players, but that is NOT what the draft is really about.  It's about IMPROVING THE TEAM.  If JD believes Wills is better for the team than Jones plus a 3rd round pick then he should absolutely go for it.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I doubt the Jets will move up.  If anything Douglas wants more picks.  Can’t afford to give up a 2nd and/or 3rd right now.  We will get a very good player at 11 or trade back a little to gain more draft capital 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

IF we need to move up, it feels like 7 and 9 are our only logical places to go to.  I don't think we can realistically afford to go higher than 7 and we don't really need to.  If 2 OTs are gone by the time CAR's pick is up, I think we'd have to consider it.  If only 1 goes, than we can wait and either go to 9 or hope nobody else does.

So what should it cost?

Well CAR is an interesting option because the players they probably covet would likely be available at 11.  Simmons is the exception if he is there as he might not last, but Brown, Kinlaw, Henderson are all likely to make it there.  So they shouldn't need a huge premium but they would probably want our first 3rd round pick.  That would hurt, but if it was the difference in getting Wills or Jones, it might very well be worth it.  Consider that the gift from Gettleman being put to good use and if Will works out to be a Franchise LT for 10 years, it was a deal.

If we can hold off and move up to JAX at 9, it should be cheaper.  JAX is also not likely to miss out on their guy for sliding back 2 spots.  Our lower 3rd round pick feels like a bit too much to pay but I'd expect them to ask for that.  Maybe we can get back one of their low 4th rounders (they have 3 in the round) to balance it a bit more.  That trade I wouldn't mind so much if it guaranteed us the LT we wanted versus one we don't want.

The key is to consider draft picks as currency, not players.  Picks can and should be combined, split, traded and otherwise manipulated in order to improve the roster as much as possible.  Until last year, the priority was getting a QB.  We turned four picks into our QB and nobody regrets it.  Now if we have to turn two picks into our LT, I'm fine with that as well.  Yeah, I love picking players, but that is NOT what the draft is really about.  It's about IMPROVING THE TEAM.  If JD believes Wills is better for the team than Jones plus a 3rd round pick then he should absolutely go for it.

On the chart - 11 + 79 gets you to 1445 and 9, 116, and 140 is 1448. Would be interesting to move up and add picks.

Also 11 and 68 as you proposed exactly equals the value of pick 7 - 1500. 

I'm still more in draft is a crapshoot rather move down than move up mode. I would feel great about adding Thomas, though.

Also worth considering whether Douglas considers Fant the likely LT regardless of what he does. The RT position is important - but is it worth trading up for?

Just now, Jets723 said:

I doubt the Jets will move up.  If anything Douglas wants more picks.  Can’t afford to give up a 2nd and/or 3rd right now.  We will get a very good player at 11 or trade back a little to gain more draft capital 

A very good player won't mean much if our LT position is a turnstile.  After QB, that is probably the most important position to fill.  We have a guy who *might* be good at it (Fant) but it's a huge question mark, and then RT is even worse off.  There is nothing wrong with turning two picks into a franchise LT rather than any two other positions when we don't have even a pair of decent tackles.  I repeat...there is nothing wrong with turning two picks into a franchise LT when you don't have good tackles.  It all comes down to how the Jets are grading all these players.  I guarantee that there is no trophy given for making the most picks.  The trophy generally goes to the team that improves themselves the most through the draft, which some years might mean making less picks.  

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

My feelings exactly

• Upvote 3