Draft Rumors

SR24

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

I am sure somebody has done a study of Quinnen's 2019 game tape by now.  Anything on YouTube?  Voch Lombardi did a great breakdown of him before last years draft.

Michael Nania at Jets X Factor did a review of QW's rookie year.  I thik it is fair to say it was a disappointing rookie year for the 3rd overall pick in the draft, but he did flash at times and would be way premature, imo, to call him a bust.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/03/02/new-york-jets-2019-season-in-review-quinnen-williams/

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

If JD is high on Ruiz we should take him.  We will be able to get one or two good receivers in round 3.   I'm thinking guys like Tyler Johnson, Bryan Edwards, AGG (hopefully!), Van Jefferson, Quez Watkins, Collin Johnson, Micheal Pittman, Peoples-Jones, Devin Duvernay should be available.  

Taking Ruiz or Hennessey to play Center would be a similar move to taking Quinnen Williams in that it would allow the Jets to move on from a reasonably expensive player who is somewhat underperforming.  That player being Brian Winters.  If drafting a Center early allows the Jets to save $8M by releasing Winters and that $8M helps do something like sign an Edge rusher in Clowney, then it could be a good strategy.  McGovern would move to Guard.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

It already is a wasted pick. He was the absolute last thing that team needed.Just totally gross mismanagement of resources.

I agree with this but since we have him let's give him a chance. He's very young. In the Dallas game Orlovsky broke down tape on how he completely influenced a big series by collapsing the pocket and making plays - had a few dominant series, but not games. After being in the weight room and being with G. Williams I think he can be an excellent player. Time will tell...

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Michael Nania at Jets X Factor did a review of QW's rookie year.  I thik it is fair to say it was a disappointing rookie year for the 3rd overall pick in the draft, but he did flash at times and would be way premature, imo, to call him a bust.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/03/02/new-york-jets-2019-season-in-review-quinnen-williams/

Definitely not a bust IMO.  It could be that in 2 years we say he was a borderline 1st round pick and certainly not worth the #3, but he looks to be a longterm NFL player.  Sadly, it's almost exactly like Leo....above average, but not great and certainly not worth a Top 10 pick at this point.

I find myself saying the same things that I said about Leo though.  He was very young, he was a rookie, there wasn't much of an Edge rush, was he double-teamed at times, etc.  He also had some minor/moderate injuries to contend with.

What I like most is that Quinnen still has a ton of upside and an offseason program should really help this kid.  I also like that McClendon will be here another year as a very positive influence and mentor on this guy.  With Leo now gone, there's nothing but opportunity for Quinnen.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Just now, Beerfish said:

That sucks, he has been 'my guy' since half way through the college year.  Wills, Wirfs and Becton are all fall back plans for me.

We'll never see it, but I'd absolutely LOVE to know how JD has these 4 guys ranked.  Just to sit in a room as a fly on the wall and hear Joe D discuss the 4 of them would be so eye-opening.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We'll never see it, but I'd absolutely LOVE to know how JD has these 4 guys ranked.  Just to sit in a room as a fly on the wall and hear Joe D discuss the 4 of them would be so eye-opening.

Hopefully we get to hear him get into the weeds a little about why he likes the guy he took at least. Fit, etc.

I remember the first time I heard Maccagnan talking about the draft it sounded like a college junior draft tutor trying to explain draft 101 to a freshman struggling in the class. I’d like to hear from the professor who was mentored one of the guys who wrote the book for once.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

If we go OT in the 1st and Ruiz somehow is still on the board at #48, I would be very torn.  We need WR but getting the LT/C positions nailed would be a very warm and familiar feeling.  I doubt he makes it there, but it might be hard to pass him up unless an equally exciting WR dropped as well.

I wouldn't want this to happen. Just because it was a weak position last year doesn't mean we can ignore getting Sam some weapons after going OT in the first round. We have signed a ton of lineman. We need special weapons - at least two of the next 3 picks should be WR. Go center after the WR is picked or wait until next year. It would be a luxury that we can't afford right now considering we have McGovern and no #1 receiver for Sam.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think that’s a done deal and was probably always the case. He’s basically a can’t miss starter. If the Jets grade on him is higher than the other 3 by a lot, I’d consider the move up.

It felt like the internet draft community got very excited about Becton’s combine and went overboard trying to downgrade Thomas by way of comparison and now they all feel like dicks. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, derp said:

Hopefully we get to hear him get into the weeds a little about why he likes the guy he took at least. Fit, etc.

I remember the first time I heard Maccagnan talking about the draft it sounded like a college junior draft tutor trying to explain draft 101 to a freshman struggling in the class. I’d like to hear from the professor who was mentored one of the guys who wrote the book for once.

No matter what happens during the Draft the one thing the GM always says in his first press conference following the Draft is, "We got the guy we wanted," "We didn't think he'd be there," and "He was our target all along." :P 

You never hear them say, "Ughh...can you believe it?  The two guys we wanted most were taken just before we picked.  Welp!  We got this guy now.  He's pretty good.  Let's hope it works."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Seems odd they’d trade Diggs just to bring in OBJ. I’d probably trade a 2nd and a 5th tbh 

If the 5th is next year that could be the Giants pick that we got in the Leo trade if the Jets were trading.

Oh, the irony!  The Jets trade Leo for an early 3rd (almost a 2nd) and 5th round pick.  The Jets could get OBJ (a former Giant!) for a 2nd and a 5th!  Am I wrong in saying this would almost be a trade of Leo Williams for OBJ if the Jets did this?

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If the 5th is next year that could be the Giants pick that we got in the Leo trade if the Jets were trading.

Oh, the irony!  The Jets trade Leo for an early 3rd (almost a 2nd) and 5th round pick.  The Jets could get OBJ (a former Giant!) for a 2nd and a 5th!  Am I wrong in saying this would almost be a trade of Leo Williams for OBJ if the Jets did this?

Apparently both the 2 and 5 would be 21 picks but yeah you’re kind onto something there. I’d be happy to make that trade though lol 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Apparently both the 2 and 5 would be 21 picks but yeah you’re kind onto something there. I’d be happy to make that trade though lol 

Even better then!

Try to make it the #68 this year (instead of a 2nd next year) and use a 4th or 5th next year.  If that landed OBJ with the Jets and they'd still have one pick in each of the first 3 rounds this year, that's a no-brainer.  Next year's pick would simply be the extra from the Giants.

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It felt like the internet draft community got very excited about Becton’s combine and went overboard trying to downgrade Thomas by way of comparison and now they all feel like dicks. 

Dont buy the Becton hype at all. Maybe I'm wrong, just feels artificial. His tape everyone is fapping to is him bulldozing DB's, many on the other side of the play. Can he pass block?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Taking Ruiz or Hennessey to play Center would be a similar move to taking Quinnen Williams in that it would allow the Jets to move on from a reasonably expensive player who is somewhat underperforming.  That player being Brian Winters.  If drafting a Center early allows the Jets to save $8M by releasing Winters and that $8M helps do something like sign an Edge rusher in Clowney, then it could be a good strategy.  McGovern would move to Guard.

Except you wouldn't be using the #3 overall pick on a non premium position. That's a huge difference in your analogy.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dont buy the Becton hype at all. Maybe I'm wrong, just feels artificial. His tape everyone is fapping to is him bulldozing DB's, many on the other side of the play. Can he pass block?

Agreed, if you watch his tape he plays a lot slower than his combine performance. He gets away with a lot bc he's massive but that won't happen as frequently in the NFL. And he does not fit the style of offense Gase wants to employ.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I am actually getting more and more comfortable with Thomas being my top guy after watching more tape. He's just so consistent and plays effortless compared to the other guys. He def has the least risk. If you want to minimize risk you take him if given the chance and enjoy his 12 year career. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Do the Jets have the 4th OL on the board ranked higher than the top WR on the board? Do they have any of the 4 OL ranked higher than the top WR?  Will they get lucky and have one of their top ranked OL be available @11 despite 2 or 3 OL being picked already?  

My gut tells me that if all the WR are on the board and they can have their pick @11, they will take a WR unless there is a specific OL that they've identified as their #1 who falls to 11. If that's the case then they will go OL.  If their OL guy isn't on the board @11, I don't think they would take the 4th ranked OL on the board over the #1 WR. 

But then again, what the hell do I know? B)

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He gave up four sacks in three years, so yes, I would say he can passblock. I only saw one of them on tape and it was a miscommunication that was charged as a sack allowed. So basically, 3 sacks allowed over three years.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Agreed, if you watch his tape he plays a lot slower than his combine performance. He gets away with a lot bc he's massive but that won't happen as frequently in the NFL. And he does not fit the style of offense Gase wants to employ.

How does a guy who is long and athletic not fit Gases system?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

If Becton is the only one left of the "big four" I would rather trade back or take Lamb or Judy.  Then try to pick up Edwards or Peters to play LT.  I am concerned that if we start the season with Fant at LT this will be another lost season.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I never really buy into the "highest ceiling"  cliche.  I remember everyone saying it about Josh Allen (the QB).  If you've been playing ball since Pop Warner and haven't figured it out yet what makes it likely that you are going to figure it out at the highest level?  I'm sure it happens but not as much as one might hope.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think the approach on first round picks have changed.  High ceiling guys at value positions are the logical first round picks.  It is really the only way to find an EDGE or T at a fair cost, but the team has to guarantee a relatively high salary and bonus for 4 years.  

How many teams have found effective LTs in FA over the last few years?   Whitworth, yes.  Who else?  

How many Safeties have teams signed in FA?  Mathieu was the Chief's MVP.  Earl Thomas, Landon Collins.  They are expensive, but you can find them.  

Andrew Thomas looked like a bit of a mess in a T shirt, but his tape was the best against the best competition.  If Thomas fits into Gase's system and is available (who knows what Gase' system is), he is the obvious choice.

If the Jets have a functioning OL and their existing WRs, plus a few draft picks, their offense will be much better than last year.  

If the Jets draft a WR in rd 1 but cannot draft a day 1 starting T later on (which is not unlikely), the offense will not necessarily be much better.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1