Draft Rumors

SR24

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there was a huge JD article about his scouting style and how it's not a straight up LIST of Rankings like everyone else's

he judges each player specifically for how they fit with the team  - that includes offensive system fit. Gase likes tall zone linemen that's a fact. He can't do anything with Kelechi Osemele.  And guys like KO can't do anything with Gase. 

note some guys like Becton and Ruggs are so gifted they will be considered scheme diverse i.e. there's no coach that would turn these guys away based on system. 

but JD can't draft like he's going to pick the coach in 2021, unless he knows that dude's system as well. 

fact is if Gase gets fired it's because Sam is a bust and we all have huger problems (again) than HC 

Becton does not play with the same athleticism he showed at the combine.  He is not scheme diverse. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Becton does not play with the same athleticism he showed at the combine.  He is not scheme diverse. 

yes. He does. 

you might not agree and at this point it's a difference of opinion. 

sometimes he loses people  - but if he gets his hands on you it's over. there's film of him pushing blockers 10-15 yards downfield. just burying people.  

and the first couple years he was at Louisville they flipped RT and LT each play (power and speed tackles) so he knows how to do that 

unlike Wills and Wirfs who NEVER played LT in college. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If we’re trading down, Falcons at 16 is lowest I wanna go. You can pick up extra picks and still take Jefferson or Jones/Jackson at OT. 

Though Eagles coming from 21 could get us a future 1. 

Yeah I won’t go past 15-16.  As much as I want another high pick or two I don’t want to lose out on all the top 4 OL and Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

I’m in the minority but Ruggs might be me favorite WR out of the 3 tbh. Guys a big play machine but I love the physicality for his size he goes up for the ball hard. Also having him and Perriman on the field together is 2 guys with sub 4.3 speed which would really help open things up. If he’s the pick at 11 I’d be pumped,  really if we pick any of the 4 OTs or 3 WRs I’m pumped we literally can’t F*** this up lol 

I'm with you.  Ruggs is legit and I think the Jets' interested we're hearing in him may not be a smokescreen.  95% chance he's there at #11 as well.  Only team I thought might take him is Arizona but after trading for Hopkins I think they'll go DT or OT at #8.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I feel like Jets are definitely gonna trade down with the eagles.  Douglas wants as many picks as possible and probably won't mind sliding down a few spots in the 1st to get an extra 2 & 4

That would give him 2 picks in Rds 2, 3, & 4. Plus the eagles first. Jets could grab 2 olineman, 2 WRs and a CB all before the 4th Rd where they would have another 2 picks.

I'd love something like this....

1.21. Justin Jefferson WR

2.48. T Higgins or Pittman  WR

2.53. Lucas Niang or Tego Wanagho T

3.68. Kristian Fulton CB

3.79. Lloyd Cushenberry C

My only concern at #21 is that someone could hop in front of the Jets for a WR.  While I think #21 is the sweet spot for a guy like Jefferson or Mims, it could be the case that they're both gone at #21 and that would be a disaster in this trade down scenario.  If that were the case we'd have to look back to OT, but Josh Jones could be gone by #21 as well, and that seems too early for a guy like Austin Jackson or Cleveland, and definitely for Niang or Wanagho.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

714 snaps in 2019, 6 penalties.  That doesn't seem penalty prone.

by CFB standards, yes it kind of is alot of penalties, and even worse than the amount is WHEN they happened

3 of the 6 penalties happened in the IRON bowl the biggest game of the year for Alabama (every single year) 

one of those penalties directly led to a TD being wiped off and the next play was a Tua pick 6

Wills is somewhat reviled among Bama fans for his play. stuff like that probably keeps JD up at night 

• WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yes. He does. 

you might not agree and at this point it's a difference of opinion. 

sometimes he loses people  - but if he gets his hands on you it's over. there's film of him pushing blockers 10-15 yards downfield. just burying people.  

and the first couple years he was at Louisville they flipped RT and LT each play (power and speed tackles) so he knows how to do that 

unlike Wills and Wirfs who NEVER played LT in college. 

Yes I saw him blocking CB's 15 yards down the field too. He will not be able to handle a speed edge rusher in the NFL.  He got away a lot of times with a slow get off in college bc of his size.  That won't happen in the NFL. I think there are good odds that long term he'll be a Guard in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

by CFB standards, yes it kind of is alot of penalties, and even worse than the amount is WHEN they happened

3 of the 6 penalties happened in the IRON bowl the biggest game of the year for Alabama (every single year) 

one of those penalties directly led to a TD being wiped off and the next play was a Tua pick 6

Wills is somewhat reviled among Bama fans for his play. stuff like that probably keeps JD up at night 

You said penalty prone. He's obviously not.  Especially considering 3 happened in 1 game.  That means 3 penalties in the other 12 games.  The timing matters very little when considering if someone is penalty prone.  It's just a lazy knock.  

Tyron Smith 17 penalties in the last 2 years.  Is he penalty prone?

Jason Peters 19 penalties the last 2 years. What about him?

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That doesn’t seem particularly bold but is a good perspective to have. Class seems to have a pretty firm second tier of three guys. And Cleveland likely gets overdrafted.

I realize this is a little defeatist but my big question is - granted tackle is absolutely a need. But beyond the top four guys or stretch it to seven - are there players who are definitively coming in and beating out Fant and Edoga? If it’s not addressed early I could see it being punted until late. Are we really confident rookie day two pick Lucas Niang or Prince Tega Wanogho beats out second year day two pick Chuma Edoga for a starting job?

• Upvote 2

Just now, derp said:

Jives with the rumor that Cleveland wants...Cleveland (Ezra). Good for the Jets if the Broncos want a receiver. They do have a tackle need as well.

and if the jets are targeting tackles at 11, spreading the rumor they love ruggs is exactly how to entice denver to trade up.  

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So I looked into this and came up with this gem of a quote from Wirfs

The real concern with Wirfs isn't RT/LT swap.

I got 2 words for you Shane 

Robert Gallery 

Wirfs can move and Wills seems reasonably solid but if two or three tackles are off the board before eleven I’ll be more comfortable if those guys are among them.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

and if the jets are targeting tackles at 11, spreading the rumor they love ruggs is exactly how to entice denver to trade up.  

Or if they want to gamble a little and move down a few spots. Top ten has two tackles, three quarterbacks, Young/Okudah/Simmons, Ruggs, and another defensive guy (Brown, Kinlaw, Henderson). Atlanta wants to move up for one of the other defensive guys. Drop to 16 with the goal that not all four of Lamb/Jeudy and the two remaining tackles go in the next four picks. Move down more if one of the guys isn’t there. Probably Jeudy/Lamb at 12/13 - Bucs and Browns could both go tackle but does Cleveland move below the Jets and Bucs with two tackles on the board if they intend on taking one? Would be cool to pop down to 16 and have a deal get back up to 14.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You said penalty prone. He's obviously not.  Especially considering 3 happened in 1 game.  That means 3 penalties in the other 12 games.  The timing matters very little when considering if someone is penalty prone.  It's just a lazy knock.  

Tyron Smith 17 penalties in the last 2 years.  Is he penalty prone?

Jason Peters 19 penalties the last 2 years. What about him?

Yes those players are penalty prone.

Peters is a free agent from a team JD used to work for, who is still unemployed, so... 

pS _ The draft isn't about what you or I want. JD brought in OL McGovern with 0 penalties, GVR and Fant had like 3 between them. Alex Lewis is the "bad boy" with 6. There is no Jason Peters on this roster. Wills probably isn't JD's ideal prospect. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Yes I saw him blocking CB's 15 yards down the field too. He will not be able to handle a speed edge rusher in the NFL.  He got away a lot of times with a slow get off in college bc of his size.  That won't happen in the NFL. I think there are good odds that long term he'll be a Guard in the NFL.

It's quite obvious that you have never watched Becton play if you think he has a slow get off.

Rumor is Denver really likes Ruggs
Feels like our GM is using the media to stir the pot. Ruggs III rumor leaks yet again yesterday, and now Denver might blink and make a move.

A trade could push one more OT down to our spot. Or maybe start a bidding war to get whichever if the big 3 WRs are left at 11. Either way, movement around our pick is not necessarily a bad thing.

This is getting interesting.
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

Body type has nothing to do with it.  The statistical argument was made about both players.  Wtf does body size have to do with it? And Ruggs is thought of as a much more posited WR than Metcalf. There's really no comparison in that regard. 

So you've stated college production has nothing to do with it siting the success of a rare freak of nature in DK Metcalf. I say Metcalf is an outlier because he's huge, tall, fast and ripped...meaning he isn't in the same league as Ruggs.  So if body composition and college production mean nothing, what about the fact that Ruggs was the #2 receiver on his college team?  Let me guess, that has nothing to do with it?  Why bother watching tape at all then?  We'll just draft everyone based on their 40 times.  

18 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I feel like Jets are definitely gonna trade down with the eagles.  Douglas wants as many picks as possible and probably won't mind sliding down a few spots in the 1st to get an extra 2 & 4

That would give him 2 picks in Rds 2, 3, & 4. Plus the eagles first. Jets could grab 2 olineman, 2 WRs and a CB all before the 4th Rd where they would have another 2 picks.

I'd love something like this....

1.21. Justin Jefferson WR

2.48. T Higgins or Pittman  WR

2.53. Lucas Niang or Tego Wanagho T

3.68. Kristian Fulton CB

3.79. Lloyd Cushenberry C

You could make an argument (not sure its the way I would go-see Izadicks 12) that trading down and winding up with 7 picks in the first 4 rounds would greatly increase the core depth of this team and have a good chance of adding a pro bowler or two and really jump starting the rebuild as opposed to NEEDING to hit on the 1st and 2nd round picks we have.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So you've stated college production has nothing to do with it siting the success of a rare freak of nature in DK Metcalf. I say Metcalf is an outlier because he's huge, tall, fast and ripped...meaning he isn't in the same league as Ruggs.  So if body composition and college production mean nothing, what about the fact that Ruggs was the #2 receiver on his college team?  Let me guess, that has nothing to do with it?  Why bother watching tape at all then?  We'll just draft everyone based on their 40 times.  

Why should it matter if he was the #2 receiver on his team if the #1 guy was the consensus best receiver in the country? So Julio Jones would suck if he was on the same team as Deandre Hopkins? They are different types of receivers - it all depends on what you want. Ruggs would have had a ton more catches if Jeudy wasn't on his team.

1 hour ago, tdoublee said:

Feels like our GM is using the media to stir the pot. Ruggs III rumor leaks yet again yesterday, and now Denver might blink and make a move.

A trade could push one more OT down to our spot. Or maybe start a bidding war to get whichever if the big 3 WRs are left at 11. Either way, movement around our pick is not necessarily a bad thing.

This is getting interesting.

Maybe J Elway using the Ruggs rumor to trade up to get an offensive tackle. ( jump in front of the Jets) No will know till a week from today.