Your Supernatural (More likely you believe than not)

Which Do you Find more Likely Exhists?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Real?

• Sasquatch/ Bigfoot
    • UFO/ Aliens
    • Ghosts/Spirits
    • Loch Ness/ Sea Mosters
    • Jersey Devil
    • Mothman
    • Chupacabra
    • The Rake

Aliens (the space kinds). They’re everywhere. Humans are not special nor did they win some grand existence lottery. 

Humans aren’t all that special, but our planet is. So much had to go right for life to exist here. It’s really amazing the mathematical odds against it.

Certainly not ruling out aliens, but they’re not “everywhere”, either.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TNJet said:

If you have to choose....Which do you believe in more likely than others? And a post of "none" is not acceptable. 

I'll go with Sasquatch. I have my reasons.

Thank Covid19 and no sports for this thread lol.

Aliens and ghosts

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Humans aren’t all that special, but our planet is. So much had to go right for life to exist here. It’s really amazing the mathematical odds against it.

The mathematical odds of what we know are definitely against it, I agree. But we don’t know if those odds aren’t replicable, however odd they may be. I don’t know, but I believe they are very replicable and they exist all over the universe - hence the “everywhere”. Maybe there aren’t evolved life forms just yet, but who’s to say that every life form or planet is on the same timeline or trajectory. Not every form of evolution has to follow earth/human evolution.

I believe there is more out there that the human mind hasn’t experienced or imagined yet that far exceeds anything humans have accomplished so far - akin to if you told people just 100 years ago that man would land on the moon. At that time, the mathematical odds were completely against it. They’re still against it, but it turns out they are replicable by minimizing downside. And today? There’s a private entrepreneur who has already put tons of time, money and resources into essentially creating a bus service between Earth and Mars. I’m not saying he’s successful, I’m just saying that’s how far we’ve come in just 100 years.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The mathematical odds of what we know are definitely against it, I agree. But we don’t know if those odds aren’t replicable, however odd they may be. I don’t know, but I believe they are very replicable and they exist all over the universe - hence the “everywhere”. Maybe there aren’t evolved life forms just yet, but who’s to say that every life form or planet is on the same timeline or trajectory. Not every form of evolution has to follow earth/human evolution.

I believe there is more out there that the human mind hasn’t experienced or imagined yet that far exceeds anything humans have accomplished so far - akin to if you told people just 100 years ago that man would land on the moon. At that time, the mathematical odds were completely against it. They’re still against it, but it turns out they are replicable by minimizing downside. And today? There’s a private entrepreneur who has already put tons of time, money and resources into essentially creating a bus service between Earth and Mars. I’m not saying he’s successful, I’m just saying that’s how far we’ve come in just 100 years.

The mathematical odds aren't just "against it", they're very, very close to impossible!

We know for sure that "chaos" is never good for a planet's chances at life, and that has little to do with the track that created humanity.  You can't have life on a planet where asteroids, meteors and other bodies are hitting planets constantly.  Or life on a planet where its too hot or too cold.  It's just not possible.  Extreme conditions are OK for some life forms here, true, but there are extremes that prevent life from the very beginning.  

The Earth is protected on that front by so many factors:  Location, location, location - Being on the edge of a spiral galaxy rather than towards the middle; having just the right orbit around a star (2 or more star systems aren't promising for life); having sufficient gravity to create an atmosphere, which breaks down asteroids and meteors; having one moon rather than no moons/many moons, without which life would not be possible here; etc etc.

There are definitely opportunities for unique life out there, and with the quadrillions of planets I'm sure "life finds a way".  But I also think its important to recognize just how rare and special the Earth is.  

What really happened with alien visitation:

Radio waves follow the earth but television transmissions beam directly into space. We are in the hinterlands of the universe so it took some time for the first broadcasts to reach the more advanced center. Some scientist discovered yet another new intelligent civilization and they set out to make first contact. As they got closer, they observed more and more human TV.  When they got to Gilligan's Island, they looked at each other, shook their heads and went, "naaaah" and turned back around.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mathematical odds aren't just "against it", they're very, very close to impossible!

We know for sure that "chaos" is never good for a planet's chances at life, and that has little to do with the track that created humanity.  You can't have life on a planet where asteroids, meteors and other bodies are hitting planets constantly.  Or life on a planet where its too hot or too cold.  It's just not possible.  Extreme conditions are OK for some life forms here, true, but there are extremes that prevent life from the very beginning.  

The Earth is protected on that front by so many factors:  Location, location, location - Being on the edge of a spiral galaxy rather than towards the middle; having just the right orbit around a star (2 or more star systems aren't promising for life); having sufficient gravity to create an atmosphere, which breaks down asteroids and meteors; having one moon rather than no moons/many moons, without which life would not be possible here; etc etc.

There are definitely opportunities for unique life out there, and with the quadrillions of planets I'm sure "life finds a way".  But I also think its important to recognize just how rare and special the Earth is.  

All of this is true, and I’m not minimizing what Earth is. I’m just saying that although it’s true in Earth’s case, we don’t know if Earth’s way is the only way. Even given our advancements, we are still learning/exploring ideas that weren’t even heard of as recently as 20 years ago. Who knows what else we’ll discover in the next 20 years? Maybe there are other life forms that don’t require the delicate balance of pressure, temperature and moisture that earth-life requires. Maybe there’s a way that life can exist on outer rims because it requires very little heat and can source it internally from the planet or externally from the pressure of its atmosphere. I don’t know, and I gave up on being a physicist back around 11th grade, but I’m just saying I’m not going exclude other possibilities just because at this very moment in time, we seem like a rarity. There was a time when people thought that you couldn’t cross large bodies of water and the only people alive were the ones they knew. Today, that looks silly, but back then, for what they knew, it was fact. Given how vast the universe is and how little we’ve had a chance to explore given the limited timeframe in which we’ve had the adequate resources/technologies, I believe there’s a lot more out there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How are you defining everywhere. There may only be 1 per galaxy but that is still a sh*t ton of life. And what are you calling life, intelligent life may be rare, but single celled organisms? I'm not sure. I wouldn't be a surprised to find extremely primitive life on one of Jupiter or Saturns moons in our very own solar system, would you?

And even if it is extremely rare, the universe is an inconceivably large place, vastly more than what is even observable. There are more stats in the universe than there are grains of sands in all the beaches on this planet y a factor of 5 or more. Even something that is extremely rare is likely to have happened millions of times. When you add in the fourth dimension, it's makes it extremely unlikely we'll ever meet up with another at our level of technology.

And all of that's before you get into concepts like the multiverse which are looking increasingly likely or even more exotic concepts like the many world theory.

• Upvote 2

I've seen a badass gigantic UFO and I have witnessed the evidence of Sasquatch and as far as ghosts go, no doubt in my mind, I was terrified growing up in my house in Jersey, I believe it was the ghost of an American Indian that terrorized me growing up. There 's a theory that when there are renovations in a home happening that it riles up the spirits hanging around.

I remember my father telling us that he would give a dime to the one of us who got up the earliest to hang out with him, I think my big strong 82airborne Division father was even freaked out by them. Lock Ness type of creatures absolutely, they could very well be living in those deep underwater tunnels under those mountains living down there between the Loch and the Atlantic Ocean and hunting out at sea since there isn't enough food in that whole Loch to support a family of Manatees if it were warm enough.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

All of this is true, and I’m not minimizing what Earth is. I’m just saying that although it’s true in Earth’s case, we don’t know if Earth’s way is the only way. Even given our advancements, we are still learning/exploring ideas that weren’t even heard of as recently as 20 years ago. Who knows what else we’ll discover in the next 20 years? Maybe there are other life forms that don’t require the delicate balance of pressure, temperature and moisture that earth-life requires. Maybe there’s a way that life can exist on outer rims because it requires very little heat and can source it internally from the planet or externally from the pressure of its atmosphere. I don’t know, and I gave up on being a physicist back around 11th grade, but I’m just saying I’m not going exclude other possibilities just because at this very moment in time, we seem like a rarity. There was a time when people thought that you couldn’t cross large bodies of water and the only people alive were the ones they knew. Today, that looks silly, but back then, for what they knew, it was fact. Given how vast the universe is and how little we’ve had a chance to explore given the limited timeframe in which we’ve had the adequate resources/technologies, I believe there’s a lot more out there.

Titan or Europa?

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

I've seen a badass gigantic UFO and I have witnessed the evidence of Sasquatch and as far as ghosts go, no doubt in my mind, I was terrified growing up in my house in Jersey, I believe it was the ghost of an American Indian that terrorized me growing up. There 's a theory that when there are renovations in a home happening that it riles up the spirits hanging around.

I remember my father telling us that he would give a dime to the one of us who got up the earliest to hang out with him, I think my big strong 82airborne Division father was even freaked out by them. Lock Ness type of creatures absolutely, they could very well be living in those deep underwater tunnels under those mountains living down there between the Loch and the Atlantic Ocean and hunting out at sea since there isn't enough food in that whole Loch to support a family of Manatees if it were warm enough.

I am starting to think that all you musician types are on drugs or something :)

• Haha 2

For the most part, paranormal experiences are our brain misinterpreting stimuli as it takes shortcuts to make sense of the world.

However, other intelligent life in the universe seems likely.  That said, there's no reason to believe they could contact us any more than we could them.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The argument would be that other worlds would have lifeforms uniquely adapted to that landscape.  Who could then look back and say, wow, it's amazing the odds of us living here.

It's also worth considering that we may be the only game in town right now, but who knows what existed before us, or after we go extinct, which I think will be far sooner than most probably do (1-2K years, max).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

You didn't vote for the Squatch? Lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

I am starting to think that all you musician types are on drugs or something :)

I have been in with the Sasquatch community for the past decade or so and it's uncanny how many are musicians-especially guitarists. I have been doing audio work on the Sasquatch people and I have come up with a template that I use to be able to access their voices-they speak English!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I have been in with the Sasquatch community for the past decade or so and it's uncanny how many are musicians-especially guitarists. I have been doing audio work on the Sasquatch people and I have come up with a template that I use to be able to access their voices-they speak English!

but do they use auto tune? compression? reverb?

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Personally I feel like Earth got 2 much of the gravity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

It's also worth considering that we may be the only game in town right now, but who knows what existed before us, or after we go extinct, which I think will be far sooner than most probably do (1-2K years, max).

A key component of Drakes Equation, and another reason why I wince when people say oh yeah well why havent they contacted us if there is so many out there. 

Most life forms exist for only a mere blip on the universe's time scale 

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

A key component of Drakes Equation, and another reason why I wince when people say oh yeah well why havent they contacted us if there is so many out there. 

Most life forms exist for only a mere blip on the universe's time scale 

Hippies have already over stayed  their welcome.

• Haha 2