Darnold and JD

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Damn you clearly know your stuff, need to be careful debating you. ;) 

Yeah it's hard to see how I could accidentally write Wat"kins" instead of Hop"kins" in a paragraph where I had already written Watkins twice. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.” Almost makes me think commi

Darnold would likely be the first overall pick in this draft and he would have been the first overall last year easily. I get that Darnold has had his struggles, but he’s not a mush.

Or maybe he actually likes Darnold as a player? Crazy thought, eh?

Posted Images

Just now, choon328 said:

Yeah it's hard to see how I could accidentally write Wat"kins" instead of Hop"kins" in a paragraph where I had already written Watkins twice. 

It was a joke. Sorry if the " ;) " wasn't on the nose enough

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL

Trevor played what? 5 minutes?

Luke was a practice squad guy Gase didn’t game plan for. Hell he didn’t even give him first team reps, he was giving them to Darnold during the weeks he was recuperating from his kissing disease.

Perspective 😊

7 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Sams stats last year are not great, thats true. But he got decent stats with no TE's, OL protection, consistent running game, and no #1 WR. I think the best is yet to come from him, and he DID elevate the talent around him. For example, he threw 6 TD's to 2 TE's you never heard of before this year.

All those things are true: weak OL, weak cast, etc. But at some point good players should play good and that should be reflected in stats/and wins column. If they are truly good, of course.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Disagree. NFL and America loves a comeback story. If Jets have a strong D next year, I think he gets a final shot. Obv. hope you are right because don't want to lose him.

Think about the fact that the Browns after having their best 8 game stretch of the Century with Williams at the helm passed on him in favor of a nobody in Kitchens. Or the fact that coming off the 5-3 stint with the Browns Williams took a defense full of nobodies on the Jets and had a remarkable year considering the injuries and talent level on the defense and didn't get a sniff for a HC position. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Just so many examples of new GM's dumping high-drafted QBs almost immediately. What's unique about this situation is no one (as far as I can tell) in the national media is even speculating JD is considering this. 

You are mentioning a lot of hypothetical throughout this post, please give your basis for all your examples. If you need me to go back and pick them all out, I will. thanks

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Look at their rookie years. Both had little to no talent around them.

The answer is easy, it’s just nobody here wants to answer it.

His top three receivers were Larry Fitgerald, Christian Kirk and David Johnson, but I guess Ryan Griffin is pretty comparable sure

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

Really strange that no one questions Darnold place.

I think it’s strange you feel the need to share something that “almost” makes you think. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

JD's evaluation of Sam played into his decision to come on board with the Jets. FQB in place - check.

Of course a six year deal certainly figured into the equation and many here don't like to hear it but IMO his relationship and shared values with Gase was also a factor.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, jgb said:

Theyve got a lot invested in Darnold so it makes sense to give him every chance to succeed

He has shown some playmaking and made some jaw dropping plays despite playing with a terrible line and mediocre skill players.   Many professionals think he has all the tools.

Hes very young and seems to be a solid citizen, someone who could be the face of the franchise.

Why wouldnt you give him every chance to succeed before moving on?   If they get him Dallas line and skill players, and he sucks the decision will be easy and his replacement will come into a great situation. Id be willing to bet hes our QB for the next 10 yrs

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jgb said:

Nevertheless, it's rare territory where a previous GM draft the right QB and gets the boot. 

Sam fell into Macc's hands and his record as a GM speaks for itself. Macc will never get another GM job again.

• Upvote 2

I think your whole premise is wrong

I don’t think you’re right when you say that “almost always a new GM has his QB on thin ice

My understanding has always been that it is the new HC who decides how thin the QB’s ice will be, and whether the QB is “his guy” or not.

Our HC already decided a year ago that he was all in with Darnold.

This means that there is nothing at all that’s strange about the new GM

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Boooooooo. 

Few question Darnolds place because he has done as well as anyone could in these circumstances. It's really that simple. It's way too early in his career to start looking elsewhere. 

I think JD likes the potential of Sam Darnold. We've had this debate before so no reason to do it again now, but what I do think is that JD is trying to give Sam everything he can to succeed and that's the way it should be. If Sam stinks it up after having been given a legitimate NFL OL and a solid WR corp, the clock will start.  I Don't see it as being in danger next year unless there's a chance to grab Lawrence, but the clock will start ticking at that point. 

• Post of the Week 1
9 hours ago, jgb said:

Maybe, I don't know. Still think that's fool's gold. How many times has a QB performed poorly due to "bad situation" and suddenly become a stud later? Stud QB's elevate those around them.

Steve Young comes to mind. Vinny Testaverde. Guys like Plunkett and Gannon figured it out later in their careers. Eli Manning had four lame years to start his career then won a couple Super Bowls. Drew Brees' first two years starting pretty much sucked. 

Pretty easy to compare these Jets to the creamsicle Bucs. 

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think it’s strange you feel the need to share something that “almost” makes you think. 

It’s the closest many here will come. You are welcome.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, ljr said:

I think your whole premise is wrong

I don’t think you’re right when you say that “almost always a new GM has his QB on thin ice

My understanding has always been that it is the new HC who decides how thin the QB’s ice will be, and whether the QB is “his guy” or not.

Our HC already decided a year ago that he was all in with Darnold.

This means that there is nothing at all that’s strange about the new GM

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That’s a good point about the HC. He was and is bullish about Darnold which makes a huge difference. 

8 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

You are mentioning a lot of hypothetical throughout this post, please give your basis for all your examples. If you need me to go back and pick them all out, I will. thanks

Go for it. I don’t take homework assignments. School is canceled due to COVID-19.

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

Think about the fact that the Browns after having their best 8 game stretch of the Century with Williams at the helm passed on him in favor of a nobody in Kitchens. Or the fact that coming off the 5-3 stint with the Browns Williams took a defense full of nobodies on the Jets and had a remarkable year considering the injuries and talent level on the defense and didn't get a sniff for a HC position. 

Well aware. I think if Jets are top 12 defense he gets one more go. Should know pretty soon who is right.

12 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Or maybe he actually likes Darnold as a player? Crazy thought, eh?

Yea...crazy thought.  To think JD is mature enough to like Darnold even though he didn't draft him.   

Oh...bye the way...how many players on current Jets roster has JD drafted.  Can ya do the math😕

Nobody inside football questions Sam Darnold, it’s the ineptitude of the NY Jets that concerns people about Sam Darnold.
.... And this is why people fail ... Accepting mediocrity and silver spooning underperforming potential talent. Sam has undeniable potential and talent ... But to this point he has underperformed and not corrected his poor mechanics .... That being said ... He does seem to learn from his mistakes in decision making ...

This is THE year for Darnold to solidify his status ... Another 'meh' to bad year and there will.be competition to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, jgb said:

There's no reason to question Darnolds place? This is silly. I'm certain all of this was discussed long before Douglas was ever offered the job. The idea that Sammy was FORCED on Joe Douglas is absurd. If Joe Douglas had been the GM in 2018 he would have taken Sam Darnold without hesitation either. This is the EXACT path Joe Douglas wanted to go down as GM. Why does it always have to be some negative experience or extortion? DUMB.

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah he would be first. But his career so far has been "meh." Can't think of a QB who went from "meh" to elite. Elite QBs elevate those around them. Darnold hasn't.

Troy Aikman was nothing special in his rookie season. In fact the Cowboys, with Aikman starting 15 games, were 1-15 in 1989. It was only when Aikman was gifted a top notch defense, formidable OL, and a blue chipper RB, that suddenly Aikman grew into an excellent QB.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, section314 said:

Totally agree with you on this. I will admit, I worry about Sam becoming the guy we are all hoping for. The Dolphin game in Miami, the Pats game at home, are games where he looked like the Frosh HS QB who got the call to start for the varsity 5 mins before game time. Then you watch the Cowboy game, the Raider and Giants games, the Rookie games against GB and Houston, and you swear we have the guy. I remember hearing Billick on the radio at the end of last season, and he said Bill Walsh always said you know about a young QB after 25 starts. Well, we're there. As an eternally optimistic Jets fan, going into season 42 of tickets, I look at the good I've seen, coupled with the real lack of OLine and WR's, and I tend to think Sam is the guy. But, there is enough to give you pause. That said, I fully believe JD believes in Sam.

It's about TALENT surrounding Sammy. Sammy has never had talent surrounding him. Mac was an a$$hole that had put together a sh*t roster. So that's what Sammy was faced with. That's the reason for those disappointing games so far in his cateer. If there is a concerted effort by Joe Douglas to successfully place talented players around Sammy then Sammy will utilize the talent provided to him. He will use them to his advantage and become a better QB in the process.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, jgb said:

I mentioned something similar to this in another thread. I wondered a scenario if Tua dropped and is at 11 would JD consider it, given what we know of GM's and QB's of prior regimes. 

Folks almost lost it as if the consideration was that absurd. I wish folks had this level of dedication for guys that actually produce for the Jets like Jamal Adams. Im not saying to disown Darnold, but man....the reaction to even your thread says alot about this being emotion-driven. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, slats said:

Steve Young comes to mind. Vinny Testaverde. Guys like Plunkett and Gannon figured it out later in their careers. Eli Manning had four lame years to start his career then won a couple Super Bowls. Drew Brees' first two years starting pretty much sucked. 

That’s a good list.  Jared Goff looked lost before they got him a line and weapons. Pennington also was bad early on.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, legends of the fall said:

I mentioned something similar to this in another thread. I wondered if a scenario if Tua dropped and is at 11 would JD consider it, given what we know of GM's and QB's of prior regimes. 

Folks almost lost it as if the consideration was that absurd. I wish folks had this level of dedication for guys that actually produce for the Jets like Jamal Adams. Im not saying to disown Darnold, but man....the reaction to even your thread says alot about this being emotion-driven. 

Jets fans love our JAGS while nit picking the game of greats like Cmart and Gastineau.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That’s a good list.  Jared Goff looked lost before they got him a line and weapons. Pennington also was bad early on.

Difference is Darnold is good. He’s easily a top 15 QB already. If you disagree, name 15 that you think all being equal give this Jets team a better chance to win... Dak? Jimmy G? Cousins? GTFO. With Simien/Falk this offense was literally the worst in the history of the NFL, and Simien had been a competent starter before. With Darnold they were competent and even capable of scoring 30+... that is freakin unbelievable.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, slats said:

Bradshaw too. 

Darnold has shown a ton of potential. He'll most likely hav a very good season, and we'll be discussing his $ extension about this time next year. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

.... And this is why people fail ... Accepting mediocrity and silver spooning underperforming potential talent. Sam has undeniable potential and talent ... But to this point he has underperformed and not corrected his poor mechanics .... That being said ... He does seem to learn from his mistakes in decision making ...

This is THE year for Darnold to solidify his status ... Another 'meh' to bad year and there will.be competition to deal with.

What have the Jets done on the 2 years Sam has been here to help develop him?  Oh yeah that’s right ******* nothing!  Shut the **** up with your Sam sucks agenda.

• Upvote 1
What have the Jets done on the 2 years Sam has been here to help develop him?  Oh yeah that’s right ******* nothing!  Shut the **** up with your Sam sucks agenda.
No agenda .. just truth and facts ...

Trust me ... If he plays poorly this year ... JD is drafting a QB next year to compete.

I hope he plays up to his potential just as much as anyone ... But ... If he can't help the team win ... Next man up. Same goes for any player that is under perfoming.

• Sad 1