Darnold and JD

jgb

14 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

Really strange that no one questions Darnold place.

Well the reality of it is if the QB is a high prospect, like Darnold, he’s a highly thought of prospect by pretty much any GM with a brain.  The new guy doesnt come in and clean house unless youre AZ and turn to a completely different system.  

No one has questioned whether Darnolds status would change.

Hes a 22 year old QB who was at the top of his class only 2 years ago  

15 hours ago, jgb said:

I really miss the butt fumble. The thumbs down doesn't really energize me in the same way.

I collected so many downvotes by questioning Sanchez and Geno. Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward.

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Totally fair to say he hasn't had help. But again, that doesn't mean he's automatically great. He's at best, an incomplete, which is a disgusting waste of the first two years of a rookie top-5 drafted QB.

Those who want to go cheap this year make no sense. We need to pay whatever it takes to get a cast around him so we can properly evaluate him once and for all.

Just so happens that most first-round QBs flop. So I'm still betting flop. Sorry.

I think if you're getting a lot of downvotes, it's probably more about you congratulating yourself for being right about Sanchez and Geno (because that's such a small group), and you're betting that you're right about Darnold flopping, too, ready to congratulate yourself once again in advance. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, slats said:

I think if you're getting a lot of downvotes, it's probably more about you congratulating yourself for being right about Sanchez and Geno (because that's such a small group), and you're betting that you're right about Darnold flopping, too, ready to congratulate yourself once again in advance. 

Not to mention the mathematical odds always favor the negative side of things.  At any given time, there are only about 12-14 guys on the planet capable of playing the QB position effectively, and roughly 7 billion others who can't.  

Woah, you think Darnold will suck?  What a Nostradamus!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not to mention the mathematical odds always favor the negative side of things.  At any given time, there are only about 12-14 guys on the planet capable of playing the QB position effectively, and roughly 7 billion others who can't.  

Woah, you think Darnold will suck?  What a Nostradamus!

Especially when this franchise is involved. The statement, "I think the Jets ****ed up," or "I think the Jets will **** this up," are more than likely to be true about 90% of the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

It's about TALENT surrounding Sammy. Sammy has never had talent surrounding him. Mac was an a$$hole that had put together a sh*t roster. So that's what Sammy was faced with. That's the reason for those disappointing games so far in his cateer. If there is a concerted effort by Joe Douglas to successfully place talented players around Sammy then Sammy will utilize the talent provided to him. He will use them to his advantage and become a better QB in the process.

What's with the "Sammy" sh*t?

It reads like you're talking about a 14 year old girl.... ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Joe Douglas was hired to build a team around Darnold, if Darnold fails Gase and Douglas are 100% canned

Gase, yes. I think Douglas stays and gets to draft another QB if Darnold doesn't work out. That said, I think the Jets will stick with Darnold as long as possible, even if he ends up being just a mid tier QB.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Gase, yes. I think Douglas stays and gets to draft another QB if Darnold doesn't work out. That said, I think the Jets will stick with Darnold as long as possible, even if he ends up being just a mid tier QB.

Agree to disagree. Douglas is much less proven than Darnold. So far his biggest contribution has been forcing Kalil into our starting lineup which resulted in the worst OL play in the history of the leuage. 

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Agree to disagree. Douglas is much less proven than Darnold. So far his biggest contribution has been forcing Kalil into our starting lineup which resulted in the worst OL play in the history of the leuage. 

Douglas has a 6 year deal.  Makes no difference that hes less proven.  About as relevant as those who keep bringing up Kalil as his biggest contribution.  Thats ridiculous and if that's was you see, you need to start over

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Mid tier would be a huge upgrade over anything this franchise has had since Ken O'Brien.  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Pretty sure Gase did that but ok.

I guess JD is to blame for the likes of Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long and Jonotthan Harrison being the "best we could do" at the Center position for 3.5 seasons.

18 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

Really strange that no one questions Darnold place.

Perhaps Darnold was actually a primary factor that convinced Douglas to accept the job here.

I think if the Jets were sitting at 1 or 2, this question would be more salient.  They're not going to trade up, and a top QB isn't going to be available, so there's no reason to force this narrative.  If this season happens, and the Jets end up picking in the top 3, this will 100% be a conversation.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well the reality of it is if the QB is a high prospect, like Darnold, he’s a highly thought of prospect by pretty much any GM with a brain.  The new guy doesnt come in and clean house unless youre AZ and turn to a completely different system.  

No one has questioned whether Darnolds status would change.

Hes a 22 year old QB who was at the top of his class only 2 years ago  

I think today is baker mayfields birthday too, he is 25. Sam is 22 years old and has two seasons under his belt. You don’t throw away that talent and potential at 23.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I think if the Jets were sitting at 1 or 2, this question would be more salient.  They're not going to trade up, and a top QB isn't going to be available, so there's no reason to force this narrative.  If this season happens, and the Jets end up picking in the top 3, this will 100% be a conversation.

Even if they were sitting at 1 or 2, I don't think they'd go with a QB in this class. Next year with Trevor Lawerence at the helm, if they ended up picking that high, something went seriously wrong, then it's a lot more of a possibility. 

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Even if they were sitting at 1 or 2, I don't think they'd go with a QB in this class. Next year with Trevor Lawerence at the helm, if they ended up picking that high, something went seriously wrong, then it's a lot more of a possibility. 

Not sure they would either, but it would be a conversation in the media - which is what the thread is actually about: The team's commitment to Darnold vis a vis a new GM.