As horrifying as this sounds we may have to draft a safety late.

Beerfish

Sure, no doubt JD will pick up some depth via UDFAs or cuts made after the draft but I doubt we draft a safety unless the Jets see value they really like in Rd. 6. Odds are they take a CB though. 

Just as an example, last year they has Middleton, Miles, and Bryant as the backups and none of those guys were drafted. I think as long as Jets brass intends Jamal and Maye to have a future with the Jets the safety depth won't be that impressive because we won;t be signing or drafting top safeties.

So yeah, UDFAs and guys off the scrap heap is I think what you could expect. 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Or at least make it a super high priority udfa get.

We have nothing at all behind Maye and Adams.

Poor on actual #'s of safeties with team behind the starters and quality is suspect.

These are also the type of guys that play specials as well.

I have been keeping an eye on Tanner Muse, Safety out of Clemson. Ran a 4.4 at 6'3 230lbs... if anything, other than a depth backup S, he could be a special teams ace or convert into a speedy linebacker who can cover TE's on obvious passing downs. Most mocks I have seen he is going anywhere in the 5-7th rounds. 

• Upvote 3

I think a number of things that we won’t like are in play based on the depth chart. Corner earlier than any of us wants us an easy one. Running back in round two or three I could see. Quarterback somewhere in rounds 3-5 is another one.

It’s horrifying that a late draft pick will be spent on a #3 safety/special teams contributor? That’s not horrifying. That’s what it looks like when you’ve done a good job selecting players at a position. 

it is the only position group on the team where the starters were drafted by the jets. God forbid they would have the audacity to draft the #3 safety as well.